• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ps5 chipset limited you 32gbps over HDMI 2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

skneogaf

He likes ultra high speed.....like his sexual encounters

He's great as he always puts something in the video to do with sexual performance or sex in general.

Very informative too plus his video on xbox series x highlighted blacks on uhd movies has caused xbox to fix the issue.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
right click on your desktop and choose display settings and graphic settings

q4GMsBG.jpg

Yes anything additional to 18GBPS would fall under HDMI 2.1. This is why before the 3000 series came out we could t achieve 10bit 444 for 4k@60

The Variable Refresh Rate option does not appear for me. According to Rtings, it works on this TV with only Radeon cards.

aries_71

But is this a hardware or software limitation? If it’s a hardware one, which I hope it’s not, this is a big, big bummer.

CAB_Life

Again spot on.

Actually Sony has had numerous products--such as the upper end Bravia 800 line from last year--that were supposed to get HDMI 2.1 upgrades and did not. I remember the same issue with my previous Sony tv when swapping from HDMI 1.4 to 2.0 spec. I wouldn't presume they can just flick a switch, when historically they've proven they can't or won't.

I don't care about the results of this discussion either way and I think bickering over some additional chroma is pointless, since the box can still do 4K/ 120, but I feel it necessary to remind people of the above.

fast_taker

Clearly you haven’t read or seen others posted on this. Do some research. I am one of the few hear pointing out what you need and get based on bandwidth.
Sorry, i meant thay you need 40gbps for 4K@120hz 4:4:4 chroma 10bit hdr.
Ps5 is limited to 32 which is great for 4k@60hz 10bit.
When it comes to hdr, 8bit video is not even remotely close to hdr due to the limited dynamic range it has.

Imtjnotu

Sorry, i meant thay you need 40gbps for 4K@120hz 4:4:4 chroma 10bit hdr.
Ps5 is limited to 32 which is great for 4k@60hz 10bit.
When it comes to hdr, 8bit video is not even remotely close to hdr due to the limited dynamic range it has.
At 4k60hz PS5's output is 12bit 4 rgb 4:4:4

RydarGaf

This is the real reason we don't have VRR on PS5 Yet.

32gbps isn't enough to do 4K/120hz with 10-bit HDR enabled without resorting to chroma subsampling.
Yet, VRR isn't fully functional in 60hz limited displays or modes because LFC portion of VRR requires very high refresh rates .. ie above 60hz to activate.

To add insult to injury, 120hz refresh rate support on PS5 is game specific. You can't toggle it on from the system menu like Xbox Series X|S.
Only games that have 120fps Framerate mode on PS5 can use it with the exception being Rachet and Clank.

We could get around this 32gbps limitation by LOWERING the display resolution when running at 120hz, BUTTTTTT since Sony doesn't support a 1440p mode like the Xbox, your resolution will drop all the way down to 1080p!!!

But Sony won't add a 1440p mode cause they fear people will by a PC monitor instead of their 4K tv🤬

So therefor stuck without VRR on PS5 console😐

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
This is the real reason we don't have VRR on PS5 Yet.

32gbps isn't enough to do 4K/120hz with 10-bit HDR enabled without resorting to chroma subsampling.
Yet, VRR isn't fully functional in 60hz limited displays or modes because LFC portion of VRR requires very high refresh rates .. ie above 60hz to activate.

To add insult to injury, 120hz refresh rate support on PS5 is game specific. You can't toggle it on from the system menu like Xbox Series X|S.
Only games that have 120fps Framerate mode on PS5 can use it with the exception being Rachet and Clank.

We could get around this 32gbps limitation by LOWERING the display resolution when running at 120hz, BUTTTTTT since Sony doesn't support a 1440p mode like the Xbox, your resolution will drop all the way down to 1080p!!!

But Sony won't add a 1440p mode cause they fear people will by a PC monitor instead of their 4K tv🤬

So therefor stuck without VRR on PS5 console😐
You would need 48gbits for 120Hz/4K in 12bit, but there are no 12bits panels on sale atm. So at 10bit, wich every consumer panel uses, 32gbps is enough for 120Hz/4K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom