• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ps5 explainable SSD costs

I think Microsoft's solution will be cheaper since the 1TB SSD expansion Card for Xbox Series X is the exact same version as the internal SSD. Microsoft would buy them in bulks which would make it alot cheaper.

Last edited:

GHG

Lol, I think some folks are being overly sensitive about there plastic box of choice.

Back to the topic. The PS5 according to Mark Cerny is going to need an SSD that has specs over and above the internal drive's transfers speed. So it will need the most expensive top of the line drive. Its also going to have to be small enough (no heat sink) to fit inside the PS5 expansion bay. That's going to be expensive. There is no way around that. Microsoft solution is a partnership with Seagate. Seeing as though Seagate is currently the only manufacture I'm sure there is a price point Microsoft had them agree to. I wouldn't be surprised if it came between $149-$199.

Xbox have had a partnership with Seagate for a while now and that has not resulted in lower priced Xbox branded drives:

If you think branded proprietary drives will somehow be cheaper than standard drives that are available on the open market then I have a bridge to sell to you.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Long term it's a far better solution than proprietary memory, and the massive expansion of the market come PS5 is going to bring down prices considerably.

I also don't get were you got $500 from, as the Samsung 1TB 970Pro goes for $300.
A thread of price speculation, when we don't have a certified list for either console looks mighty pointless.
firstly that's the same size as what's in the PS5 and second that won't be fast enough read speed.easy 450-500 at first and possibly the demand for them for the PS5 could keep the prices up

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Well, we can't expect the worst from Sony, because Sony won't be making them. The increased demand for high-speed NVME SSDs in next-gen PS5/PCs should drive costs down (same as what happened with HDDs).

MS is going with a proprietary solution, which historically are pricier due to lower demand.

Are there even any SSDs available & approved for the PS5 yet? Launch is only a few months away if they are still on schedule and 700Gbs is not very much space with he current size of games.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I hope they up the PSN speeds next gen.

On my PC I have a 500GB SSD and it's nothing for me to just delete a game, as I have gigabit, and from Steam can download massive games in a couple hours. On PSN I never know how long something is going to take, the speed varies so much.

If you can have super fast downloads space is way less of an issue.

There's also likely to be tools to transfer to a massive external USB 3 drive, which shouldn't take too long to shuffle games around.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
I have a nice job thanks and live in London, but no need to be consescending to the poor and unfortunate in society.
You are right, I should not have been condescending. It was a stupid remark.

But back to the topic, and for why I originally quoted you.

Is it not true that premium products carry a premium price tag? Seeing as the SSD in the PS5 is considered by some to be the best available, wouldn't it be normal to consider that such a high end product will come with a price tag to match?

truth411

SSDs compatible for the PS5 will initially be expensive but the price will come down over time. Especially when PCIE 5.0 M.2 drives come available. Long term Sony is the better option for storage. M.S. proprietary SSD screams to me forever overpriced like PS Vita cards.

GHG

Are there even any SSDs available & approved for the PS5 yet? Launch is only a few months away if they are still on schedule and 700Gbs is not very much space with he current size of games.

These will be available before the PS5 launches and will most likely be the first drives that get approved for PS5 use (Samsung are the supplier of the drives for PS5 AKAIK):

Price is TBC obviously.

Is it not true that premium products carry a premium price tag? Seeing as the SSD in the PS5 is considered by some to be the best available, wouldn't it be normal to consider that such a high end product will come with a price tag to match?

Yes compatible drives will be expensive initially but then the drives will be subject to usual market forces and competition which will drive the prices down.

Last edited:

truth411

firstly that's the same size as what's in the PS5 and second that won't be fast enough read speed.easy 450-500 at first and possibly the demand for them for the PS5 could keep the prices up
When PCIE 5.0 M.2 cards come available, prices for SSDs fast enough for PS5 will drop considerably. Long term storage options in the open market is always better for consumers than proprietary.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
If you think branded proprietary drives will somehow be cheaper than standard drives that are available on the open market then I have a bridge to sell to you.

Yeah it's kind of a silly statement. Branded drives will be at or near the high end for the quality.

But the lack of insane i/o should keep the prices down compared to PS5 for quite some time even if branded. But hopefully naturally people won't NEED as much space early in the gen.. and then by the time they really do have too many games to manage, the prices will come down.

There's also cheaper alternatives like shuffling games around to a standard multi-terabyte USB3.0 drive. Having your games on a massive SSD is a luxury in the first place.

Last edited:

NullZ3r0

Banned
Just for perspective, the only SSDs as fast as PS5s can be found in Azure data centers and they aren't cheap.

All is not lost, though. Just attach a USB HDD and move stuff back and forth. Hopefully MS/Sony offer an intelligent and automated way of dealing with this.

GHG

Yeah it's kind of a silly statement. Branded drives will be at or near the high end for the quality.

But the lack of insane i/o should keep the prices down compared to PS5 for quite some time even if branded. But hopefully naturally people won't NEED as much space early in the gen.. and then by the time they really do have too many games to manage, the prices will come down.

There's also cheaper alternatives like shuffling games around to a standard multi-terabyte USB3.0 drive. Having your games on a massive SSD is a luxury in the first place.
Yep the bolded is what most people will do (hell, most people also still do this on PC if they are not happy with re-downloading games when they want to play them).

NullZ3r0

Banned
A PS5 'certified' SSD will be expensive because of its speed.
A Series X 'certified' is proprietary. If past Microsoft Xbox accessory pricing is any indication, the Series X external SSD's will also be quite expensive.
I'm really surprised with Microsoft's approach by the way. They have very good read/write speeds by todays standars, but nothing unachavieable by third party SDD's a year or two down the line.
They should have kept the SSD expansion generic, not proprietary, especially after all the external storage options they added to Xbox 360 and Xbox One.
The Xbox SSD speeds are guaranteed and sustained unlike OTS parts. It won't overheat and slow down. This is why its proprietary.

Part of the reason for PS5's massive size is to accommodate the NVME expansion drive cooling.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Did you even read what I typed. ?
XSX expansion card contains the same exact mass produced SSD as the one inside XSX. Seagate only makes the enclosure. Seagate is the exclusive launch partner, there will be more later. Seagate has previously made licensed external drive for Xbox One and they cost only 15-20 USD more than a similar unlicensed one with equivalent specs.
You seem too concerned about how others feel or view this rather your own opinion on this. So, I will remind you after the official prices have been revealed.

NullZ3r0

Banned
Xbox have had a partnership with Seagate for a while now and that has not resulted in lower priced Xbox branded drives:

The PS5 drive will not be standard by any stretch. The drives will need to fit in the PS5 chassis and meet Sony's stringent performance specs. So no crazy heat-spreaders and nothing under 7 Gbps. That will narrow the field and increase prices.

GHG

The PS5 drive will not be standard by any stretch. The drives will need to fit in the PS5 chassis and meet Sony's stringent performance specs. So no crazy heat-spreaders and nothing under 7 Gbps. That will narrow the field and increase prices.

The requirements for the PS5 drive will be 5.5 GB/s and the vast majority of drives are 2280 in size. Heatsinks on most drives are also optional and do not come pre-installed (or permanently integrated). Sony will need to have come up with a solution within the PS5 chassis to deal with heat dissipation.

I know, I've spent the last month researching SSD's when deciding on 2 to get for my new PC build.

Most people are talking bollocks when it comes to this, there will be no "stringent requirements" once these drives start hitting the consumer market. It will just need to be the right size and the right speed, they are going with an off the shelf solution for a reason. Once Phison releases their E18 controller these faster drives will be being made by every man and their dog, even down to the likes of Silicon Power.

Last edited:

Dnice1

Both can hold 8-15 of your most played games so I think most will just buy a 10TB external drive for $180 and just transfer games back and forth.

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:
I highly doubt the SSD you put in your PS4 will work on a PS5. Only SSD's whos read/write speeds are equal to PS5's internal SSD speeds are compatible. As mentionned multiple times in this thead, those SSD's are upward of $500 at this point.
Wouldnt be using that SDD to play games, simply to store them.

geordiemp

Sony did the SSD using 12 channels so wide and smaller cheaper chips and no DRAM I recall and hence the 825 size ..., so who knows the cost could actually be cheaper if the IO controls are not included and are in APU (which is suggested by Cernys slide). The SSD chips are not high spec or high end, there are just more of them.......

I dont see the SSD side of the ps5 design to be costly, its how much APU silicon space is what most are interested in.

That does not mean the selling price will be, we will wait and see, but I doubt this is a hindrance on the Ps5 BOM.

I would be surprised if Sony did not offer an in house solution if NVME drives are not plentiful by end of year. Its early days.

Last edited:

geordiemp

XSX expansion card contains the same exact mass produced SSD as the one inside XSX. Seagate only makes the enclosure. Seagate is the exclusive launch partner, there will be more later. Seagate has previously made licensed external drive for Xbox One and they cost only 15-20 USD more than a similar unlicensed one with equivalent specs.
You seem too concerned about how others feel or view this rather your own opinion on this. So, I will remind you after the official prices have been revealed.

I will repeat what I typed

XSX SD card will be more expensive as there is only 1 supplier...See I can post silly stuff as well as OP.

I have made my comment easier for you to follow. I was being as silly and daft as the OP, I was being sarcastic - nobody knows any prices right now, I was making a sarcastic point.

Try reading it slowly and breathe.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
When PCIE 5.0 M.2 cards come available, prices for SSDs fast enough for PS5 will drop considerably. Long term storage options in the open market is always better for consumers than proprietary.
Well Microsoft said that at the moment Seagate will produce the storage option to begin with. Did everybody forget back in the day with PS memory cards everybody produced them. Same will happen with Xbox storage options to

cireza

It looks like the most affordable option is just gonna be to buy an external HDD and just transfer games over to the SSD when you wanna play them.
Exactly what I have been fearing since SSD was announced. We are going to spend the next 5/10 years transferring shit again and again between various storage.

tenor.gif

Your warning (singular) - in which we acknowledged your contriteness and pointed you to a relevant thread - was to highlight that out the blue you injected yourself into established threads, talked about just setting up new accounts and dropped the console warrior bait of 9TF. Here are the linked posts:

Custom tags can be removed in time, when earned or when people do things that are much stupider and supersede the last custom tag. Custom tags are applied in order to calm people down and think, before they overstep the mark as well.

You seem like a Dwight, not going to lie but nonetheless, i'll be on the bestest behaviour from here on out, just you watch :lollipop_hushed:

GHG

Well Microsoft said that at the moment Seagate will produce the storage option to begin with. Did everybody forget back in the day with PS memory cards everybody produced them. Same will happen with Xbox storage options to

Can't wait for those Mad Catz memory cards to make a return.

I missed having my game saves being corrupted because of substandard 3rd party proprietary storage.

TheContact

The PS5 it appears will let you change out the internal SSD, but the internal SSD has to be complaint with Sony in terms of performance in order for it to interface correctly.
Speculation:
Externally, you shouldn't have this restriction and should be able to throw in any SSD or even HDD.
But there is that patent from Sony about the expansion card slot, I wonder if this is somehow SSD related, so rather than having to buy an external SSD with a usb or esata connection, the "expansion card" might be a proprietary SSD that directly attaches into a bay in the PS5, similar to how SAS drives work in servers or something.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Source?

MS using the same SSD as the one inside the console does not mean they will save tons of money and most importantly pass savings to consumers.
Seagate will be the exclusive launch partner for these expansion cards, too. “At launch, the Seagate Storage Expansion Card for Xbox Series X will be the only Expansion Card available,” reveals a Microsoft spokesperson to The Verge. “We look forward to sharing more details in the future.” It’s not clear whether Microsoft will have its own branded expansion cards or just how many other third-party drive makers will be able to create expansion cards. More providers will increase competition and drive prices down for consumers, so it would be surprising if Seagate is the only manufacturer after launch.

Bernkastel

Ok, so for now there is only your and the Verge author speculation that more suppliers could provide the memory to MS... as if dual supplier for an Xbox only MS licensed only accessory is the same as the open strategy the competition took.
Tom Warren spoke to a guy in Microsoft, who said Seagate is only exclusive for launch.

The PS5 it appears will let you change out the internal SSD, but the internal SSD has to be complaint with Sony in terms of performance in order for it to interface correctly.
Speculation:
Externally, you shouldn't have this restriction and should be able to throw in any SSD or even HDD.
But there is that patent from Sony about the expansion card slot, I wonder if this is somehow SSD related, so rather than having to buy an external SSD with a usb or esata connection, the "expansion card" might be a proprietary SSD that directly attaches into a bay in the PS5, similar to how SAS drives work in servers or something.
I hope Sony gives users the option to swap out the stock SSD for something faster and with more storage, the performance would be insane. However, I think there will only be two options available for additional storage;
1. Use an external SSD to store and transfer games as you need them
2. Buying a compatible SSD off the shelf

I think the OP is reaching when he says $500 for a 1TB SSD. A more realistic price would be $200 -$300 during the release window with a $200 price tag or less when supply exceeds demand in less than a year.

Last edited:

NullZ3r0

Banned
The requirements for the PS5 drive will be 5.5 GB/s and the vast majority of drives are 2280 in size. Heatsinks on most drives are also optional and do not come pre-installed (or permanently integrated). Sony will need to have come up with a solution within the PS5 chassis to deal with heat dissipation.

I know, I've spent the last month researching SSD's when deciding on 2 to get for my new PC build.

Most people are talking bollocks when it comes to this, there will be no "stringent requirements" once these drives start hitting the consumer market. It will just need to be the right size and the right speed, they are going with an off the shelf solution for a reason. Once Phison releases their E18 controller these faster drives will be being made by every man and their dog, even down to the likes of Silicon Power.
Wrong. Mark Cerny said that compatible drives will need to be 7 Gbps to deal with the processing overhead of the PS5 storage subsystem.

NAND chips decrease in performance as heat increases so you better believe every one of these things will have a heatsink.

This is what a 7 GBps NVME drive looks like:
ZTXCxtYfpauJ4tSTsMUot7-1200-80.jpg

Wrong. Mark Cerny said that compatible drives will need to be 7 Gbps to deal with the processing overhead of the PS5 storage subsystem.

NAND chips decrease in performance as heat increases so you better believe every one of these things will have a heatsink.

That is absolutely not true. GHG was totally correct. The off the shelf SSD for PS5 only needs to be a NVMe M.2 PCIe 4.0 with read speeds at or above 5.5GB/s.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Nope, you are mixing two different statements into one. 1.5 GB of overhead means Sony made magic on top what everyone else in the SSD industry was capable of... and they call others Sony fanboys ;).

Ant_0N

Neo Member
Nope, you are mixing two different statements into one. 1.5 GB of overhead means Sony made magic on top what everyone else in the SSD industry was capable of... and they call others Sony fanboys ;).

Wrong, here you go...

Mark Cerny: For example, the NVMe specification lays out a priority scheme for requests that the M.2 drives can use, and that scheme is pretty nice, but it only has two true priority levels. Our drive supports six. We can hook up a drive with only two priority levels, definitely, but our custom I/O unit has to arbitrate the extra priorities rather than the M.2 drive's flash controller, and so the M.2 drive needs a little extra speed to take care of issues arising from the different approach.

Last edited:

GHG

If you have a source for where he's said 7GB/s is required then I'd like to see it. Right now this is what I'm going off:

No PCIe 3.0 drive can hit the required speed of 5.5GB/s, as they are capped at 3.5GB/s. However, the first PCIe 4.0 M.2 drives have now hit the market, and we're seeing 4 to 5GB/s speeds. By year's end, I expect there will be drives hitting 7GB/s.

Just because he references 7GB/s as an example, it doesn't make it the requirement. He also said the speed would possibly need to be need to be a "little more" than 5.5GB/s but nowhere does he say 7 is the requirement.

Regarding heat, there are a number of factors at play but the primary ways these drives get too hot is by hammering them with writes, and it's the controller that overheats and throttles the data transfer rates, not the NAND (the NAND itself actually performs optimally when warm). NAND needs to stay cool enough to retain data but still be warm enough to achieve the requested transfer rates. By the time you reach the temperatures required for the data on the drives to degrade/corrupt the controller would have given out anyway - basically a scenario where the NAND overheats to the point where it becomes the bottleneck is unlikely to happen.

When these drives fail due to sustained excessive heat it's because of the controller dying, not the NAND. Gaming in the context of how the PS5 will use the SSD will be read intensive, not write intensive so the level of strain on the controller and drive as a whole is nowhere near as high.

None of that's to say cooling is not a concern, it will be, but like I said it's something the PS5 housing itself will need to take care of, so then it comes down to whether the drive is of the correct length or not as long as it doesn't have a permanently installed heatsink.

The Lexar drive you referenced is a prototype. All of the fastest nvme SSD drives you can purchase today come with optional/removable heatsinks since most new motherboards come with their own NVMe heatsinks and a lot of people prefer to use those because they perform well enough, and for aesthetic uniformity.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

Here is the EVO 970 for $180 not $300

and it's not on sale and it's 1TB. Some people are hell bent on downplaying the PS5 for some reason.
I paid $300, but that was last year. I also don't expect 970 class drives to qualify for PS5 certification, but I guess we'll see. I think the 980 looks like the kind of drive that might meet spec.

that isn't true tho. You only need 7GB/s nvme if you wanna play games straight from them. I'm pretty sure they will allow a wider range on nvme which are slower since transferring games between nvme take seconds. You would just move it to the primary. Sony is providing us options and not going the proprietary route. And also I remember buying 1st gen evos 3 years ago for $500, now they are $130-$140. Xbox hard drives still have a high price compared to what they provide and didn't go down in price that much since launch.

Last edited:

Renozokii

PS4 OG. I buy games every month. Still using the 500 gb base. Never felt the need for upgrading. Right now Last of us 2, GT sport, Astro bot, AC7, dreams, beat saber, super hot. Pretty sure I deleted mk 11 for last of us.

Free space 110gb maybe I’m ok for ghost of Tsushima. If not I delete ac7

So for me not worried about it.
Games are going to get a lot bigger. CoD this gen is over 100 gigs. Also balancing 2, maybe 3 large games and a few indies doesn't seem fun.

Ant_0N

Neo Member
Little extra speed == 1.5 GB/s of extra speed required :LOL:... so, not wrong. He did not state 7 GB/s or more for compatible SSD’s and your quote kind of backfired :p.

well 5.5 is not enogh but he expect that there will be some with 7GBs at the end of the year... what is so hard to understand?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
well 5.5 is not enogh but he expect that there will be some with 7GBs at the end of the year... what is so hard to understand?

What is so hard to understand that both statements can be true and are still so far unrelated?

You are implying a conclusion of your choosing: you know there will be disks that are 5.5 GB/s <= speed <= 7 GB/s and not just a huge jump to 7 GB/s,, right? Do those become a non factor because it does not suit your argument now?

5.5 GB/s without more than 2 priority levels requires a bit more speed, but that is not a problem getting SSD’s at that speed as even this year you are expected to see SSD’s that reach even 7 GB/s... hence the number will be something between 5.5 GB/s and that figure, likely closer to the lower end of that range.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
PS4 OG. I buy games every month. Still using the 500 gb base. Never felt the need for upgrading. Right now Last of us 2, GT sport, Astro bot, AC7, dreams, beat saber, super hot. Pretty sure I deleted mk 11 for last of us.

Free space 110gb maybe I’m ok for ghost of Tsushima. If not I delete ac7

So for me not worried about it.
You could have just bought a 1tb hdd (external) for like 60 bucks lol

Allandor

Little extra speed == 1.5 GB/s of extra speed required :LOL:... so, not wrong. He did not state 7 GB/s or more for compatible SSD’s and your quote kind of backfired :p.
It is all about latencies. The higher speed is needed because of latency reduction of the internal memory of the ps5. With higher "speed" the latencies can be compensated a bit.

I've never upgraded my storage, i've always just deleted the game and reinstalled it if i needed it again. I think for next gen I'll just get an external HDD and do the SSD/HDD file swapping dance.

Top Bottom