• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 for first party games and Xbox Series X for 3rd party games?

Vawn

Banned
Let's see what difference there actually is. 10.3TF console untied from a weaker console and a 2x faster SSD vs a 12 TF console that has to account for a 4TF version.

There are also other factors to consider. For example, the DualSense has features not in the Xbox controller. How are these utilized by third-party developers?

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

5klo.gif

RCU005

It will depend on what the lead console is for each game. I believe that if a game is made with PS5 as a lead console, they could utilize the SSD better as well as other features. The same applies with XSX. It could have higher resolution and frame rates.

Ellery

No.

If there is a desire to have 3rd party games running "the best" then the only logical remaining option is an unreasonably high priced PC.
Otherwise I haven't seen anything that would I consider a confirmation for XSX 3rd party games running better than PS5 3rd party games.

At best it sounds like paying $600 for getting 1.8TF for third party games and whether that is worth it is questionable but has to be considered individually and GamePass also should play a factor.

No.

If there is a desire to have 3rd party games running "the best" then the only logical remaining option is an unreasonably high priced PC.
Otherwise I haven't seen anything that would I consider a confirmation for XSX 3rd party games running better than PS5 3rd party games.

At best it sounds like paying $600 for getting 1.8TF for third party games and whether that is worth it is questionable but has to be considered individually and GamePass also should play a factor.

I have zero interest in PC gaming, been there done that.

Its how I did the current generation....but towards the end here I started playing more on my PC since it has a 2080Super in it..and only sony exclusives on the ps4 pro.

If Sony starts letting more of their exclusives go to PC(Even if its just later on, I don't mind waiting) then I really don't see a point in me owning either of them...Just go Nintendo Switch or w/e machine they have and PC from here on out.

This fall im going PS5 and PC unless between now and launch Sony announces more exclusives going to PC(im not holding my breath lol).

I do have more friends playing on Xbox when it comes to all MP games tho.....But the adoption of Crossplay is making that a moot point as well

Its exactly what I will be doing.
PS5 for Sony exclusives
Xbox for everything else

That is what I did this gen but I really want to see what the differences will be when it comes to 3rd party games because if its the same than I might just stick with PS5 even though I usually get all systems I might not buy the Series X day one this go around.

Can't wait for them to start showing us more details about these launch games

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
As many others that`s what i'm doing too and that's why i think we will see more PS games on PC in the future, because Sony doesn't make (much) money with people like me. They make money with 3rd parties and Plus.

DavidGzz

Of course. Both, but not only because of better graphics on Xbox, but because there will be great exclusives and Game Pass. Obsidian, Inxile, Playground Games, Turn 10, and 10 other studios will be making games that won't be coming to PS5. Why would I miss out on those as a game fan? I can afford both AND I don't have to pick one side of the war like the children on here? Sounds great to me.

I've been hearing that 3rd party games will run better on the Xbox series X versus the PS5 which was the case this gen with Ps4 pro vs the One X.

Is anyone else considering getting both consoles because of this?

To be brutally honest, I doubt there will be enough of a difference to justify spending the money on an additional console just for third party games. Look at XBOX One X and PS4 Pro. Sure, the XBOne X is noticeably more powerful spec-wise, but the differences aren’t normally that significant and even sometimes barely noticeable at least to my experience.

Also, multiplatform games rarely take full advantage of their hardware so I think the games will look even closer next generation on both platforms. If you do get an XSX, I would get it for Gamepass, exclusives or other reasons over the third party games looking or performing slightly better.

Last edited:
If I get both consoles I'll probably do that, IF. This gen I bought a X1 early into the generation assuming I'd get exclusives like the OG Xbox and 360 and boy was I wrong. This time I'll wait and see and in the meantime until Microsoft shows off something must own I'll be buying third party games on PS5.

scydrex

Some people just don't like gaming on PC, I know that's hard for you to accept but its true.

I love playing on PC from 2000-2002 to 2010 or so i stopped playing on PC. I would like to have another gaming pc. The problem is that i see the prices, i live outside the USA everything is more expensive. GPU are more expensive and other parts too.

The big problem is the USD rate exhange is a lot higher than before... also in my country when you buy something from the internet that cost $200 or more it has to pay taxes. So no.... sadly i don't think i will build another gaming pc like i used too. Getting new parts forget it... another thing is that here i think no one buys PC games instead downloads them from torrent or so. If i lived in the USA hell yeah i would be in pc gaming again.

So here where i live u have to get parts from $199 or less to not pay taxes, get used parts and still building a pc here is a lot more expensive than before. Also you have to almost buy everything from the internet. Here is difficult to get good parts and if a store sells a good GPU here is a lot more expensive. Some people don't just understand that outside USA pc gaming expensive.

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I've been hearing that 3rd party games will run better on the Xbox series X versus the PS5 which was the case this gen with Ps4 pro vs the One X.

I did this for this gen and it was a waste of resources. The difference in multi-platform games will be so small you will need someone to point it out in a YT video. I regretted every multiplatform game I bought for my X, but I was trying to justify buying it.

Knightime_X

Series X for 3rd party.
97% of my favorite PS4 games were 3rd party multiplat anyways.
Might as well get the definitive version on the beast box which could very well be 97% of my gen 9 library.
(•_•) ( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

DavidGzz

1. It's actually 12.15 vs. 10.3. People like to omit the .15 to make the difference seem smaller on here.
2. PS5 doesn't do everything as there are 15 XGS studios.
3. $70 games will make Game Pass even better. Oh and all games from those 15 studios will launch on Game Pass.

As a game fan, idk how you can forgo at least an XSS if you don't have a PC. You'll be missing out on a lot of great games.

T-Cake

PS3 for first party and Xbox 360 for everything else was pretty much my mantra in that generation. Then I only had PS4 this gen and in the later stages bought a PC. Unfortunately, my PC is already way behind in terms of GPU specs and I don't have the will (nor finances) to upgrade it.

So I might return to PS5 for first party and Xbox Series X for everything else. But it really depends what the DualSense is like and whether Sony's nabbing of exclusive things is something major or not.

trikster40

If the minimal advantages that the raw power Xbox is going to give you for 3rd party games is worth the investment to you, go for it. However, you have to take into account thats that Sony does well like SSD, 3D audio, haptic controller, etc.

I, for one, just like one console on my TV.

No thanks. I only game on consoles.
Some people just don't like gaming on PC, I know that's hard for you to accept but its true.
Spoken like true peasants. You’re gonna waste another console to get slightly better performance? Either pay the admission price for that better performance by getting a PC or keep the PS5 which will give you the same tier of performance as the SX anyway. Buying an SX for third party games because it’s a bit more powerful is foolish.

If the minimal advantages that the raw power Xbox is going to give you for 3rd party games is worth the investment to you, go for it. However, you have to take into account thats that Sony does well like SSD, 3D audio, haptic controller, etc.

I, for one, just like one console on my TV.

This does not change the fact that MS will have great games that might not come to PS5 or the possible performance and graphical boast for some 3rd party games.

At this point the funds isn't an issue so I just think why not get both.

Let's see what difference there actually is. 10.3TF console untied from a weaker console and a 2x faster SSD vs a 12 TF console that has to account for a 4TF version.

There are also other factors to consider. For example, the DualSense has features not in the Xbox controller. How are these utilized by third-party developers?

love how sony's teraflops are rounded up while microsofts are rounded down. :)))

people are still going on with the ssd nonsense ? that crap in the ps5 is overengineered nonsense. no game, 1st or 3rd party will ever, in the entire gen utilize it fully. Thats one thing im above certain of

Spoken like true peasants. You’re gonna waste another console to get slightly better performance? Either pay the admission price for that better performance by getting a PC or keep the PS5 which will give you the same tier of performance as the SX anyway. Buying an SX for third party games because it’s a bit more powerful is foolish.
It's much cheaper to buy both consoles than to build one that matches the SX. You just sound bitter because I'm buying an SX instead of going the PC route which I said that I'm not interested in gaming on. Besides your lame history proves it.

It's much cheaper to buy both consoles than to build one that matches the SX. You just sound bitter because I'm buying an SX instead of going the PC route which I said that I'm not interested in gaming on. Besides your lame history proves it.
Dude, why would I be bitter about you wasting your money?

You’re gonna pay another $500-$600 to play games at the same frame rate and slightly higher settings/resolution. You’re basically going from a 2070-class GPU to a 2080-class GPU but forking out what should take you beyond the level of a 2080 Ti.

There won’t be a major difference between PS5 and SX games when it comes to third party games and buying an SX for that is dumb.

Stick to the PS5 or get a PC. Your current plan is idiotic.

And spend twice as much for the same power? No thanks.
No, spend the money to get something actually worthy of playing 3rd party games over a PS5 on. $500 to go from 1800p to 4K. Big whoop. Then console guys claim they don’t notice the difference between 1080p and 4K but shelling out $500-600 to go from 1800p to 4K is somehow a wise choice.

lol

93xfan

Banned

Is anyone else considering getting both consoles because of this?

I would recommend this approach, given callous Sony seems about leaving behind games. I worry for the PS6, Sony will just do partial PS5 and very limited PS4 support of any.

MS has the power and better managed ecosystem.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
No, spend the money to get something actually worthy of playing 3rd party games over a PS5 on. $500 to go from 1800p to 4K. Big whoop. Then console guys claim they don’t notice the difference between 1080p and 4K but shelling out $500-600 to go from 1800p to 4K is somehow a wise choice.

lol
I would respond, but I have no idea what you are talking about.

MiguelItUp

I feel like I'm still sitting between the two with a stick poking them and saying, "Do something." I'm sure PS5 will be what entices me because of their exclusives and all of Xbox's exclusives will be on PC, but who knows.

Top Bottom