• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ps5 is the spititual successor to the Amiga and I love it

Comparing a PS5 to an Amiga?

This won't bold well.

page_1.jpg
2kVPhK2j1K2pcyweMTSjYvQuGXfFqbttmN2TrqPMFardwY0LAuURvvFEODhLY4pJqW6ShJKfHUhYpKtygmx5bg3xSAijtgdw--8Qr-GfsaSMaowp2HVSur_9OL1eWMaytlk-6SuWUWxUxd_adxjp6FkVzi5_ZN4IBs2d2_JipmQ

uZF7tnNBonjTTLbUAKss5l9BFjEqn8Ef7aZrT3rpHGpZN1UbMfyZ7ONWNxCtuMEZ8SWgQSX463JLU72UYJFSNkmnc6v4UYTFUVIhgU5oTx2QJXI2QB8u3uF2Zl1y243wylyj9SQ3tDwD18Hj2F9foamXdCCaE4qi4JdOJXRDZXQ
2RN6V1eGzmSTE840rJJG-Ss0QYDgZwq5A39T0F7sI5h8eR6UzFWab7Xmnc8wMXONQQuL9HBJkkv5RAtqz75ORe82uZu7t3Tzr0A9P3skvbsxuGcM2C5Xe0ayLrUyTpn8Cyk5ZIGwzgijmkRLpx1l0l6XEp1yrptSB79Gn_lvExk

I hope the OP gets the joke. ;)

Last edited:

Banned
Like many here, i've been following Mark Cerny's road to ps5.
It was a captivating show, albeit a bit long on the audio side.

What has struck me is the level of engineering that has been put into ps5.
It immediately reminded me of the old Atari 520 vs Amiga 500 back in times.
520 ST was equipped with a 68000 clocked at 8mhz (wow !) compared to the "poorer" Amiga clocking at only 7 mhz (boo).
But, for real life games, Amiga has a few tricks under its belt called Agnus, Paula and Denise, that made all the difference with Copper and Blitter.

And now i see this piece of love that is the ps5 : with those custom chips, its 3D audio and i may have found the spiritual successor to my dearly loved Amiga. Note that i was first the proud owner of a 520 STE first, but Paula's attraction was too hard to resist.

Now i'm stuck on level 4 boss in Bloodborne on my ps4 pro and wish it was 60fps. 30 fps looks like shit in combat. May be too i'm too old for this game...

this has to be the dumbest comparison I've seen in years... wtf?
is this a troll? because if not you're tripping dude...

Last edited:

Turrican

I always remember looking at video game mags at the time and you would see the Amiga version, Atari ST version and a 3rd PC version of the game.
In every one of those I can remember the Atari ST version seemed superior in the pics. The ST version had more colors and details.
Turrican 2 definitely looks better on Amiga though.

The ST version has less colors for Turrican 1 as well. The Amiga used sprites to make the palette of the main character independent, on the ST all colors on screen had to be squeezed into one 16 color palette. Sprites were also used for parallax scrolling in the vertical shooter stages.. But no doubt, considering all the other limitations of the ST hardware the ST versions still were technical masterpieces. Their main programmer went on and was the engine lead for the Star Wars: Rogue Squadron games and was on the hardware design-team for the GameCube & Wii.

Last edited:

Shmunter

As an amiga man, getting my first PC I was like what is this POS, doing everything on the cpu without co=processing.

Even had an argument with Tim Sweeney himself on IRC when he was scoffing at upcoming 3D gfx cards claiming doing it all in software was where it’s at. Shmunter smarter than Tim Sweeney confirmed - at least for 5 minutes, lol.

520 ST was equipped with a 68000 clocked at 8mhz (wow !) compared to the "poorer" Amiga clocking at only 7 mhz (boo).
But, for real life games, Amiga has a few tricks under its belt called Agnus, Paula and Denise, that made all the difference with Copper and Blitter.

And now i see this piece of love that is the ps5 : with those custom chips, its 3D audio and i may have found the spiritual successor to my dearly loved Amiga. Note that i was first the proud owner of a 520 STE first, but Paula's attraction was too hard to resist.

Now i'm stuck on level 4 boss in Bloodborne on my ps4 pro and wish it was 60fps. 30 fps looks like shit in combat. May be too i'm too old for this game...

Sadly where that analogy falls down (overlooking the CPUs speeds) is unlike the Atari ST which didn't come with custom gfx hardware, the Series X does and it's far more powerful than the PS 5 GPU. Got to love the talk of sound now too, when no one cared that the Xbox One shipped with dedicated sound hardware and was far more powerful than of the PS4 :p

The PS1 was the spiritual successor to the Amiga in regard to piracy (once CD burners became affordable).

Then there were perfect ports of Pinball Dreams and Fantasies for PSP and Super Stardust HD for PS3, the direct sequel of the Amiga exclusive Super Stardust.

There were also ports of James Pond 2 for PS1 and PS2 and Lomax for PS1 was the spiritual successor to the Amiga CD32's Flink. Lemmings originated on Amiga and Lomax was a Lemming.

There are a lot of connections between Amiga and Playstation.

Last edited:
A lot of Amiga studios moved over to PlayStation back in the day, most notably Psygnosis who Sony bought. DMA Design (now Rockstar North) made the move with GTA, and, to a lesser extent, Team 17. A shame that Team 17 were never able to progress past the whole Worms thing. They were shit hot back in the early 90s. Whenever they released a game, you knew it would be quality.

There were probably a bunch of others, but those are the ones off the top of my head.

The PS1 was the spiritual successor to the Amiga in regard to piracy (once CD burners became affordable).

Then there were perfect ports of Pinball Dreams and Fantasies for PSP and Super Stardust HD for PS3, the direct sequel of the Amiga exclusive Super Stardust.

There were also ports of James Pond 2 for PS1 and PS2 and Lomax for PS1 was the spiritual successor to the Amiga CD32's Flink. Lemmings originated on Amiga and Lomax was a Lemming.

There are a lot of connections between Amiga and Playstation.

That was always my take. Sony made a decent effort in engaging and attracting the European developers and even encouraging talent with the Net Yaroze development machines. Though there maybe wasn't quite as much smaller devs or as much freedom on the platform, there was definitely familiarity that wasn't there with Nintendo or Sega platforms.

The PS1 and PS2 ports of James Pond 2 are dreadful though and nothing like the original game.

Off-topic: Digitiser was one of the best computer magazines ever. It was so very funny! A bit like Zero, they didn't exactly dedicate all their time to games and would wander off in random tangents.

I was sadly too young to realise that this was a thing, but I did "meet" Mr.Biffo at an Expo and he explained how he got onto making the Teletext series as well as the Reviews he did! It was certainly an interesting experience!

Thanati

As a huge Amiga fan, I loved your thread title but went in with skepticism. However, upon reading, I found myself nodding with agreement.

nicely done.

fybyfyby

I think parallel here is that you can always go smarter or stronger. Sony seems to go smarter. MS is going stronger and little less smarter. Question here is if PS5 was engineered smart enough :). But I understand your enthusiasm about Amiga. I loved Amiga hardware. It was really smart. But anyway I think Amiga vs Atari ST had much more differences than PS5 vs XSX. Still we dont know about PS5 much. It still seems, XSX is Anaconda expensive Xbox whereas there will be also Lockhart, cheaper one. Sony seems to build only one base version PS5. Its perfectly fine for me to have little less powerful console with knowing, that first party developers dont need to optimize games for even weaker one.

Im really curious how PS5 development vs XO, XOX, XSX, XSS (?) + PC development will come out. MS is going generous here with play anywhere, XO support, etc... but it can hurt development process. Sony on the other hand can throw all into PS5. Also for thirdparty developers it can be less difficult to develop for PS5 than fo Xbox family, where they have potentially bigger audience but also they need to optimalize and tune a lot. I saw it when forza came to pc. On xbox it ran flawlessly. All of my PCs had some problems. It didnt matter, if it was notebook, gaming notebook or gaming desktop. All having problems - different ones. MS tries to have something for everyone. Most powerful console? Yes, of course. Cheap console for masses? No problem. PC compatibility? You are welcome. This means, there is higher level of abstraction during coding then if you have one SDK made directly one piece of hardware.

AtariST didn't stand a chance;-)
I am actually an Amiga fan boy, and I can code asm plus custom chip stuff quite well on it.
And yet I have to note here, that the ST was faster in anything 3D and anything else that just needed calculation power.

The Amiga was a much more capable machine when it came to 2D games, though.

It really depended on what kind of games you preferred.
If you just played stuff like Falcon and Dungeon Master, you were quite good off with the ST and could save the extra money that the Amiga costed.
If you were in the Beast, Turrican and Lionheart crowd, you certainly needed a Miggy..

(and on the threads premise, I don't see the parallels with the PS5 and Amiga here. )

Last edited:

nkarafo

I wonder if the price will be the spiritual successor to Amiga's price when it was released.

Last edited:

Thanati

Just to show what an Amiga can do. While the ST was faster on 3D, programmers now are able to make the Amiga do some crazy things. Check out this Doom clone running on a stock 1MB Amiga. I seriously doubt the ST could do this, even though the CPU is clocked slightly faster.

This is why I agree with the OP. I really can't wait to see what they can make with the PS5.

RaySoft

I am actually an Amiga fan boy, and I can code asm plus custom chip stuff quite well on it.
And yet I have to note here, that the ST was faster in anything 3D and anything else that just needed calculation power.

The Amiga was a much more capable machine when it came to 2D games, though.

It really depended on what kind of games you preferred.
If you just played stuff like Falcon and Dungeon Master, you were quite good off with the ST and could save the extra money that the Amiga costed.
If you were in the Beast, Turrican and Lionheart crowd, you certainly needed a Miggy..

(and on the threads premise, I don't see the parallels with the PS5 and Amiga here. )
The Atari didnt have any custom hardware to speak of, so the only brute power it had over the Amiga 500 where the 0.86Mhz CPU advantage. Compared to Amigas Fat Agnus, Denise and Paula it becomes a mute point, at least imo.

And many Amiga games were straight ports from Atari games as well, so the Atari actually held back the Amiga for a while in that regard.

Last edited:

RaySoft

Just to show what an Amiga can do. While the ST was faster on 3D, programmers now are able to make the Amiga do some crazy things. Check out this Doom clone running on a stock 1MB Amiga. I seriously doubt the ST could do this, even though the CPU is clocked slightly faster.

This is why I agree with the OP. I really can't wait to see what they can make with the PS5.

Certainly impressive since the Amiga was not built to handle pixels in this way. The Amiga had to do as many writes to the memory as the number of bitplanes you used, so 4 bitplanes required 4 writes per pixel.. That's what you call overhead:) The Amiga CD32 added hardware support to address this, but no other Amigas has that logic.

Thanati

Certainly impressive since the Amiga was not built to handle pixels in this way. The Amiga had to do as many writes to the memory as the number of bitplanes you used, so 4 bitplanes required 4 writes per pixel.. That's what you call overhead:) The Amiga CD32 added hardware support to address this, but no other Amigas has that logic.
True. Considering this is running on a stock A500 (with 1MB), it's amazing.

This is why i'm more excited for the PS5 this gen. I've been an Xbox person since the original but got jealous of my PS4 friends playing their exclusive games. PS5 for me this time for sure!

RaySoft

True. Considering this is running on a stock A500 (with 1MB), it's amazing.

This is why i'm more excited for the PS5 this gen. I've been an Xbox person since the original but got jealous of my PS4 friends playing their exclusive games. PS5 for me this time for sure!
There's even some legacy here with the Lemmings game above here, made by Psygnosis, that later would make WhipeOut under their new name, Sony Studio Liverpool.:messenger_sunglasses:

Thanati

There's even some legacy here with the Lemmings game above here, made by Psygnosis, that later would make WhipeOut under their new name, Sony Studio Liverpool.:messenger_sunglasses:
Hah, so true. I never considered that.

Man, PS5 Wipeout would make my body drool. Or even a HD remake of Wip3out would do, for now :)

munancho

Banned
Not a chance. For the PS5 to be considered the second coming of the Amiga it would need to punch far above its weight thanks to some nifty tricks employed by genius coders to coax performances out of the hardware that it just wasn't designed to do.

You won't see that on a PS5 (or Xblox) at all because people just aren't creative like that any more and there is too much money involved now.

CrysisFreak

Banned
PS5 is the perfect balance between optimised standard tech and customised processing to enhance the overall system feature set.
Now I just need to see it. I need to SEE it with my EYES asap. Show me the future.

you mean you gonna need multiple disc's to load games? lol
Excellent ! Alcatraz ftw !!
I wonder if the price will be the spiritual successor to Amiga's price when it was released.
No problem for me now 😇 Back in time at high school my amiga funding took ages...

I just hope some guys will do some crazy stuff on ps5 like Silents, Cryonics, Melon design, scoppex, red sector, sanity were doing...coding is art.

93xfan

Banned
OP, so all these tricks they have up their sleeve.... how do you know things like variable rate shading and more cores and power for ray tracing won’t create a bigger gap in favor of Xbox?

We don’t know everything yet, so it’s too early to call. But if you like PS exclusives that much, then go with that. No need to convince yourself that it’s the better designed console.

I personally still need proof that it won’t be loud, like the launch PS3, the PS4, and PS4 Pro. I just bought a new PS4 slim a little over a month ago and was surprised this model still gets loud.

Top Bottom