• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ps5 is the spititual successor to the Amiga and I love it

Like many here, i've been following Mark Cerny's road to ps5.
It was a captivating show, albeit a bit long on the audio side.

What has struck me is the level of engineering that has been put into ps5.
It immediately reminded me of the old Atari 520 vs Amiga 500 back in times.
520 ST was equipped with a 68000 clocked at 8mhz (wow !) compared to the "poorer" Amiga clocking at only 7 mhz (boo).
But, for real life games, Amiga has a few tricks under its belt called Agnus, Paula and Denise, that made all the difference with Copper and Blitter.

And now i see this piece of love that is the ps5 : with those custom chips, its 3D audio and i may have found the spiritual successor to my dearly loved Amiga. Note that i was first the proud owner of a 520 STE first, but Paula's attraction was too hard to resist.

Now i'm stuck on level 4 boss in Bloodborne on my ps4 pro and wish it was 60fps. 30 fps looks like shit in combat. May be too i'm too old for this game...

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
The Amiga's disk drive supported disks double the density of Atari ST discs (at the start) but it was also so noisy you thought the whole machine was about to disintegrate.

Does the Xbox Series X have a midi out port?!?
Asking important questions, consoles would be amazing for music production...

RAIDEN1

You can only imagine though had Commodore still been around today, would they have tried to go back into the console market, it certainly would have made the competition more interesting than it is now...

-Arcadia-

Banned
Similar level of visuals too.

No, no, I’m just kidding. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I really love and enjoy finding out about these engineering tricks that take systems beyond what you would think they’d be capable of. It’s intelligence and efficiency, and it’s a lot more interesting than brute force.

Both systems have quite a few this time, but I was especially impressed with PS5.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

" Does the Xbox Series X have a midi out port?!? "
It has a SSD out port :)
But, but I want to play Midi Maze!

Joking aside, to this day one of the most impressive things I have experienced ingaming is the fact that you could hook up an Atari ST to an Amiga and play a networked game of Stunt Car Racer by using the serial port on the machines.

God bless you Geoff Crammond.

Last edited:

cireza

More like a Neo Geo wanabe, except that Neo Geo could address the ROM as if it was RAM, while PS5 still has some delay for accessing data on SSD, so it is not instant.

Last edited:
Amiga had more exclusives, though.

hmm ps5 not out yet so...
tempest audio may be as big as a difference as it was between my a500 and my 520st....and become a capacity that triggers exclusives thta take advantage of it.

By the way GOW 3 >>> GOW 2018, pacific rift is the best racer ever followedclosely by stunt car racer while speedball 2 is the best game ever.

*Nightwing

Newfound respect for Amiga, and thanks for the education
tenor.gif

The console wars changed once multiplatform games with huge IPs that used to be exclusives became the norm. The entire market has changed so much from then until now that innovation doesn't hold the same value it once did. Unless its innovation that makes it look shinnier and better of course

yep it has a neogeo feeling to it, i agree.
amiga => neogeo => ps5.

pure bliss.
All major consoles had hardware accelerators (the NES had sprites, collision detection, dedicated sound hardware, screen scrolling, along side a wimpy CPU, Genesis, tg16, etc added more). The Amiga just pushed it further than most computers of the time, consoles were something else.

JLB

Banned
May I ask how you measure "level of engineering"? And how do you have access to such information, not only for Sony PS5, but for any other product to make a proper comparison. You know, like a Mac Book Pro, an Xbox Series X, or a top line MSI?

Last edited:

RaySoft

Like many here, i've been following Mark Cerny's road to ps5.
It was a captivating show, albeit a bit long on the audio side.

What has struck me is the level of engineering that has been put into ps5.
It immediately reminded me of the old Atari 520 vs Amiga 500 back in times.
520 ST was equipped with a 68000 clocked at 8mhz (wow !) compared to the "poorer" Amiga clocking at only 7 mhz (boo).
But, for real life games, Amiga has a few tricks under its belt called Agnus, Paula and Denise, that made all the difference with Copper and Blitter.

And now i see this piece of love that is the ps5 : with those custom chips, its 3D audio and i may have found the spiritual successor to my dearly loved Amiga. Note that i was first the proud owner of a 520 STE first, but Paula's attraction was too hard to resist.

Now i'm stuck on level 4 boss in Bloodborne on my ps4 pro and wish it was 60fps. 30 fps looks like shit in combat. May be too i'm too old for this game...
Who don't miss the Amiga days:)
Just to nitpick the Amiga actually had a "boosted" clock of 7.14 MHz;-) and all those lovely custom chips, with agnus' blitter as king. AtariST didn't stand a chance;-)
Sony is no stranger to custom implementations though. Even though the PS4 was probably the least custom one, it still has a few up it's sleeve.

sircaw

Banned
I remember my days of playing dungeon master with a friend, him doing the movement keys me doing the combat, was so fantastic.

Gaming at it's finest.

T-Cake

What was the decision process for people back in the day to get an Atari ST v Amiga 500? I was in the Amiga camp purely because all my mates had them, we didn't know anyone with an Atari ST. Did it do anything better than the Amiga? Price, perhaps? 😋

Tarin02543

My father had an Atari ST with a monochrome screen which he used for his business administration but I just did not understand how to play games on it.

I remember having some Atari ST demo disks which I stole from a magazine cover but I just did not have a clue on how to start the programs.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
What was the decision process for people back in the day to get an Atari ST v Amiga 500? I was in the Amiga camp purely because all my mates had them, we didn't know anyone with an Atari ST. Did it do anything better than the Amiga? Price, perhaps? 😋
3d was slightly better on ST I think. I had both ST first as that was only one available in my Nans catalogue on the drip. But even having a ST in the 80's was a big upgrade coming from a Speccy or C64 for a working class family at least. I did eventually get a Amiga from Rumblelows, but enjoyed both equally.

cireza

As long as it ain't the NeoGeo cd though, right? Christ, that cd drive would test the patience of a saint.
Well that sure is true, Neo Geo CDZ owner here, and let me tell you one thing :

I love my Neo Geo CDZ

:)

And also, there is a solution now, a SD reader for Neo Geo CD (top loader) that seems to do wonders. Just search the internet for Neo Geo CD SD Loader, if interested.

Sorry for the off topic response.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

No contest. Amiga forever.

Scary part is that its a port of a C64 game which on a technical level is way superior to both the (very good) 16-bit versions.

Wonder what happened to Manfred Trenz, that guy was such a good coder.

SirTerry-T

3d was slightly better on ST I think. I had both ST first as that was only one available in my Nans catalogue on the drip. But even having a ST in the 80's was a big upgrade coming from a Speccy or C64 for a working class family at least. I did eventually get a Amiga from Rumblelows, but enjoyed both equally.
Yep, UK user here too (?)
The Amiga was a fair chunk of change more expensive than the ST at the time and that was excluding the extra cost of the TV modulator you had to buy separately for those early Amiga models.
I was a 520 ST owner, bought from Silica Shop mail order by Mum and Dad... ”Thats for Christmas AND birthday"...until I grabbed an Amiga 1200, also from Rumbelows.

I think my ST died from good old fashioned over use.

My father had an Atari ST with a monochrome screen which he used for his business administration but I just did not understand how to play games on it.

I remember having some Atari ST demo disks which I stole from a magazine cover but I just did not have a clue on how to start the programs.
That has to be the most strange piece of old times computer nostalgia I ever red. Do you miss your ST days?

The hope was probably the best part of it.

30fps is definitely not as ideal as 60fps (or higher of course) when it comes to action-oriented gameplay but in the case of Bloodborne it can look and feel bad at times because of really bad frame-pacing and chromatic aberration.

The combination of those two factors gave me literal headaches for the first couple of hours until my brain and/or eyes finally adjusted to it.

Had an Amiga when I was knee-high to a grasshopper. I remember watching my Dad and Brother play Monkey Island. Mud in bucket, bucket on door, mud on pants, pants come off, puzzle solved.

Glorious

pr0cs

Wow that is a pretty crazy stretch to suggest ps5 is anything similar to Amiga in any sense.
I mean I've read some nutty shit here about the ps5 but this thread has to be Trolling rite? Right?

Turrican

Scary part is that its a port of a C64 game which on a technical level is way superior to both the (very good) 16-bit versions.

That’s not correct. The lead platform for Turrican 2 was the Amiga. The first Turrican was started when the C64 was half-way done and re-written for the Amiga. Turrican 2 had the Amiga as lead platform with C64 being done in parallel. The only versions that were a true port for both games is the Atari ST, which used the code from the Amiga as basis.

Genx3

I always remember looking at video game mags at the time and you would see the Amiga version, Atari ST version and a 3rd PC version of the game.
In every one of those I can remember the Atari ST version seemed superior in the pics. The ST version had more colors and details.
Turrican 2 definitely looks better on Amiga though.

Last edited:
yep it has a neogeo feeling to it, i agree.
amiga => neogeo => ps5.

pure bliss.
All major consoles had hardware accelerators (the NES had sprites, collision detection, dedicated sound hardware, screen scrolling, along side a wimpy CPU, Genesis, tg16, etc added more). The Amiga just pushed it further than most computers of the time, consoles were something else.

Wow, my thread has been resurected !
Hmm good to find some guys discussing this. I just can't forget those days of wonders. I just hope ps5 will bring it, or a kind of.

By the way : nobody dissussed the core of this thread. I love custom design. Generic piece of hardware does not interest me. Except maybe on ps3 with cell as the bet didn't pay so well. And the fact that you optimise for a fix hardware.

I ll see with the ps5. Not so sure how it will end up...

I always remember looking at video game mags at the time and you would see the Amiga version, Atari ST version and a 3rd PC version of the game.
In every one of those I can remember the Atari ST version seemed superior in the pics. The ST version had more colors and details.
Turrican 2 definitely looks better on Amiga though.
What ? I owned a 520 ste first. I was so jealous of amigz games gfx i changed after much saving for an a500. St was limited to 16 colors at once on screen. The a500 up to 32 colors at once (if you don't count ham mode...).
Just do some comparisons :
Speedball2
Xenon2
Maupiti island
+ Some exclusives like shadow of the beast.
No the only thing for st was 3d as it run a bit better like in midwinter or stunt car racer.
Except B.A.T. but this one required an hardware extension...

Nickolaidas

As a proud once-upon-a-time Amiga owner who grew up with Shadow of the Beast 1-3, Turrican 1-3, Moonstone, Wolfchild, Jim Power, X-Out, Z-Out, MUDS, Project X, Body Blows (Galactic), It Came from the Desert (Antheads), Eye of the Beholder, Ultima V, Apidya II, Double Dragon 1-3, Castle Master, Utopia, Pegasus, Star Control, Torvak the Warrior, The Viking Child, Rick Dangerous, Gold of the Aztecs, Civilization, Zak Mc Kraken, Monkey Island 1-2, Agony and Shufflepack Café, I have to ask ...

What the fuck are you talking about, OP?

Top Bottom