• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 specs revealed. Up to 10.2 Tflops.

GrayChild

We will all see this for ourselves when the PS5 exclusives are still the best looking games on the market as they have been since the PS3 days.

Can I borrow your time machine, so that I can verify that this isn't just a 'tales from my ass' kind of prediction?

Did anyone here actually watch the presentation? Or did they read the speclist and start putting on their respective console warrior bandanas?
The PS5 has a constant power budget - therefore constant thermal output, but variable frequency under that power budget. This is not the same as GPU boost on PC, which boost depending on power delivery and thermal constraints. Whether its running at peak GPU clock, or not, it will always be at the same power. So it shouldn't be hot or loud.

Github leak is 100% on point again to the surprise of no sane person.

I think this is going to be a very loud system or the GPU clocks will only be for short bursts. These clocks are around 200-300 MHz higher than any other GPU AMD ships out of the box.

GAF member DemonCleaner did a great frequency/voltage power scaling for Navi 10 (and thus TSMC 7nm node) back a year ago.

powerscalinggpuonlyuljwr.png

Around 2x GPU power for those 400 MHz for like 10% performance is not a great trade-off for a console box IMO.
Unless RDNA 2 GPU's have the exact same voltage/frequency curve (which would be hugely disappointing given their claims of 50% higher performance per watt), then this is basically irrelevant. Otherwise the Series X GPU would be drawing a hell of a lot more power than it does.

Tomeru

based on the fact xbox is much more powerful by 2-3tf and a lot can be done with that, even just use that extra power for ray tracing alone to add extra shine and polish

As oppsoed to what? That game on ps5 being grey and lifeless? I priorities speed over some subjective level of butification.

If I see something earth shattering on xbox because of those tflops, I'll be disappointed provbably, but I can't see it yet.

I need to see more multiplats to know for sure. But going by the ps4p and xonex, Im not gonna lose sleep over it.

Connxtion

The thing I care about most: storage.

I have an 8tb external HDD for my PS4. I assume external drives will be an issue with the PS5 since so much of the benefits some from the internal SSD, no?

How would all that work for people who want expanded storage, but not sacrifice loading times?
You can’t use your external drive for PS5 games, but you can use it for PS4 and storing PS5 games. (Exact same situation with the XSX) Edit: you can install PS4 games to the SSD to increase load times.

so at some point you will need to spend a few £££ on a new NVMe drive that Sony deem compatible with the PS5.

I prefer the MS approach, with the propitiatory NVMe, as I don’t need to spend hundreds on some new fancy top of the line NVMe card. I also just buy it and I know it works 100% out of the box. (Well it depends on the price, £100 yeah I will bite, £200 nah I’m alright)

Last edited:
People are really emotional.
This is going to be very interesting.
Double the speed vs 20% more power.
Gameplay freedom vs 15 more fps
449$ vs 499$
I wonder what will win.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
As oppsoed to what? That game on ps5 being grey and lifeless? I priorities speed over some subjective level of butification.

If I see something earth shattering on xbox because of those tflops, I'll be disappointed provbably, but I can't see it yet.

I need to see more multiplats to know for sure. But going by the ps4p and xonex, Im not gonna lose sleep over it.
the difference is bigger and speed is by seconds that's all

Psykodad

Banned
maybe they secretly spec'd series s to throw Sony off thinking that could be what they were going for and then revealed the series x
That's possible.

What I think is the case, is that MS does have plans for a Series X and S.
By staying quiet, Sony forced MS to show the Series X first, because MS needs momentum. And by not showing Series S, MS put Sony in a tough position, because what's happening now is that Sony seems to underdeliver.
MS appears to have the upper hand right now.

Although, while more powerful, XSX will likely be more expensive as well, whereas Sony will have a massive installbase with PS4 and riding a massive wave into next-gen with FFVII R, TLOU 2 and GoT.

It can go either way, so the real question is:
Will MS introduce Series S, putting PS5 in a sweet spot in the middle, only slightly closer to XSX.

The game only got real just now and I've said it all this time, MS will have a real hard sell IF they would have 2 different units and PS5 would be right in the middle.

Last edited:

Old Empire.

This was MS clearly flexing and demolished Sony for the embarrassment that MS had to take this generation before Phil took over.

There is a significant CPU/GPU power disparity between the consoles probably close to 25% in certain games, which is mind blowing. PS should have taken a knee this year and release next year when parts would have been cheaper and more powerful as they still have games that are coming out this year so it wasn't as necessary to release as it was for Xbox.

This is a huge L for Sony's fanboys and all those pretend fake "insiders" that so many believed.

Sony likely selling for 100 dollars less, so specs are what you get for that price. It choice now, do you want raw power for extra money?

I don't think we can talk a 'slight' edge here. The PS5 is like an OC 5700, while the XSX is like a 2080S at least. Add in the fact that the XSX guarantees stable clocks while the PS5 does not, and the PS5 is a disaster waiting to happen. Who wants to have less performance in their games during summer compared to in the winter? I know I don't. That's not even mentioning how that makes it hard for developers to optimize the game. They're better off locking the clocks to something that is always sustainable even if it means lower TFLOPS.

The PS5 does have the advantage in I/O speeds. But I don't think it will really matter that much in practice.

I totally agree. The XBox has a massive advantage over the PS5. Not only is the GPU of the PS5 much weaker, but the CPU doesn't even have 16 threads.

Basically what's going on. They still have an incredible system. No if ands or buts about it. That SSD and their I/O also sounds truly game changing. I'm eager to see how it performs relative to what Microsoft is doing with a slower SSD and their overall Velocity Architecture, which also sounds fucking amazing. I'm genuinely intrigued by that, probably more so than the traditional comparisons because we kind of have a good idea of what to expect there. However, on the SSD, game streaming/design front things could be quite interesting between the consoles.

FUCKING EXCITED FOR THESE CONSOLES. GET HERE SOON. Both are day ones for me.
PS5 is gonna be hotter than two rats fucking in a wool sock.

Show the math.

10.2/12.1 = .84

XsX has 16% more power.

Or alternatively 1.9/10.2 = .18

PS5 has 18% less power.

However you slice it, we're pretty far from 30%. It's a smaller power gap than between the PS4 Pro and the X1X.
You are comparing the "boosted" peak perfomance of the PS5 to regular flat perfomance on the XSEX.
Also different RAM speed and and and..

All in all, 30% isn't that far fetched.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
You can’t use your external drive for PS5 games, but you can use it for PS4 and storing PS5 games. (Exact same situation with the XSX) Edit: you can install PS4 games to the SSD to increase load times.

so at some point you will need to spend a few £££ on a new NVMe drive that Sony deem compatible with the PS5.

I prefer the MS approach, with the propitiatory NVMe, as I don’t need to spend hundreds on some new fancy top of the line NVMe card. I also just buy it and I know it works 100% out of the box. (Well it depends on the price, £100 yeah I will bite, £200 nah I’m alright)
Holy crap, how much would an 8tb one run for?

eNT1TY

This is so fucking weird, despite the series x having a 20% power advantage and very likely better build quality component for component to the ps5 along with imo better monthly services (gamepass is ace once you try it) everyone on my discord and the few people with me that watched this presentation live still say they will buy a PS5. I'm the only fucker that will day one or even buy the series X among my peers. Some purchase habits you just can't change despite superior alternatives. And all this without known prices for either. Sony's ssd solution sounds expensive i doubt there will even be much more than a $50 difference between the two. $50 more for a better spec'd machine is peanuts. Storage needs can always be addressed down the road but specs are permanent. In the PC space a 20% difference in GPU performance is way higher than $50. That said ill prolly day 1 the ps5 too if the right game launches with it.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
My plan now is keep my PS4 and buy an XSX at launch. Wait for the inevitable PS5 Pro and then sell my PS4.

Sony have been shown up. They have no choice to stick with these ridiculous choices and put it out. Once PS5 is out they need to start getting their ass in gear and working on a more powerful system.

if you consider that 3000 series from nvidia is gonna destroy even a sex console before the launch, imagine how much worst is only having 9 tf (oh sorry 10 with boooost)
Can't wait for the 3080ti. The 1080ti has been a workhorse and made these last few years super easy to be a PC gamer. When the 3080ti launches with 16TF, I'll be able to sit the rest of the generation pretty comfortably too.

Tomeru

the difference is bigger and speed is by seconds that's all

How much bigger will it be on a tv screen? If going by pc terms, its not going to be as big as you say it will.

I really wish if you (or anyone) can show me some current pc tech example (pics or vids) so I can understand better. My pc has 1080ti currently running at 1440p.

Nvzman

I don't really care about tflops as someone who's probably only buying a ps5 for the exclusives (as Xbox exclusives are already going to be on PC), but did all of you collectively forget the PS2 era? Where Sony curb stomped everyone in sales despite having by far the weakest hardware? Who even gives a shit about the power of a console if the games aren't even that good? Unless if Microsoft massively steps up the quality of their exclusives this gen, I highly doubt they are going to be doing any better than they did last gen vs Sony. Hell, how did PS4 Pro sales stack up against the One X? That was the enthusiast versions of both consoles too, and I'm pretty sure the Pro outsold the X despite also being significantly weaker.

You can brag about Xbox being stronger than the PS5, which is definitely true, but acting like Sony is doomed in the race sounds hilarious. A console has never lost sales because of hardware being slightly weaker.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
That's possible.

What I think is the case, is that MS does have plans for a Series X and S.
By staying quiet, Sony forced MS to show the Series X first, because MS needs momentum. And by not showing Series S, MS put Sony in a tough position, because what's happening now is that Sony seems to underdeliver.
MS appears to have the upper hand right now.

Although, while more powerful, XSX will likely be more expensive as well, whereas Sony will have a massive installbase with PS4 and riding a massive wave into next-gen with FFVII R, TLOU 2 and GoT.

It can go either way, so the real question is:
Will MS introduce Series S, putting PS5 in a sweet spot in the middle, only slightly closer to XSX.

The game only got real just now and I've said it all this time, MS will have a real hard sell IF they would have 2 different units and PS5 would be right in the middle.
well I can't see how Sony forced Microsoft to reveal first, I think Sony mistimed there reveal to be honest. if they would of went first I think they would of been better placed to have a less powerful console and could of talked more about the features such as the quick ssd. by allowing Microsoft to go first as soon as power came out and Sony were less powerful nobody cared about cool features of things like super fast loading

they also haven't revealed if you will need to buy games twice between ps4 and ps5 which is a bit telling where as Microsoft have said on SOME games you will get a free series x patch.

I don't think there will be a series s if am honest, they just need to keep pushing world most powerful console

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Holy crap, how much would an 8tb one run for?
I just bought a 2TB nvme drive. A 3.0 one...not 4.0. That cost me £380. A 4.0 drive is about £440. I don't even think you can buy anything over 2TB right now.

A 4TB sata 3 SSD can cost anywhere between £400-950.

forget about 8TB SSD

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
You are comparing the "boosted" peak perfomance of the PS5 to regular flat perfomance on the XSEX.
Also different RAM speed and and and..

All in all, 30% isn't that far fetched.
"Isn't far fetched" is a nice way of saying that you're speculating.

I'm not comparing anything. I'm challenging the "not far fetched" hyperbole of a 30% gap in power.

Smaller gap than between the Pro and X1X, in either case, but that doesn't seem to register.

GymWolf

Can't wait for the 3080ti. The 1080ti has been a workhorse and made these last few years super easy to be a PC gamer. When the 3080ti launches with 16TF, I'll be able to sit the rest of the generation pretty comfortably too.
it's probably gonna be a little more than 16 tf and no, in 2-3 years it's not gonna be enough if you want to play everything at 4k60 frame rock solid and high details, the 2080ti wasn't capable of that even when it launched with some games.
i mean of course you are gonna play at high levels, just not top tier levels for 5-7 years.
(and this is if we even consider rtx)

phil_t98

#SonyToo
How much bigger will it be on a tv screen? If going by pc terms, its not going to be as big as you say it will.

I really wish if you (or anyone) can show me some current pc tech example (pics or vids) so I can understand better. My pc has 1080ti currently running at 1440p.
again its hard to use pc as an example of power difference because these are custom made console that are designed to just run games, wait till the things are launched and you will see the difference

Xyphie

Unless RDNA 2 GPU's have the exact same voltage/frequency curve (which would be hugely disappointing given their claims of 50% higher performance per watt), then this is basically irrelevant. Otherwise the Series X GPU would be drawing a hell of a lot more power than it does.

Voltages needed to reach a given frequency on the node should stay reasonably the same even if RDNA2 is more power-efficient for architectural reasons, i.e. a RDNA2 GPU at 1.8GHz will still use around half the power as the same card at 2.2GHz.

sunnysideup

Banned
I don't really care about tflops as someone who's probably only buying a ps5 for the exclusives (as Xbox exclusives are already going to be on PC), but did all of you collectively forget the PS2 era? Where Sony curb stomped everyone in sales despite having by far the weakest hardware? Who even gives a shit about the power of a console if the games aren't even that good? Unless if Microsoft massively steps up the quality of their exclusives this gen, I highly doubt they are going to be doing any better than they did last gen vs Sony. Hell, how did PS4 Pro sales stack up against the One X? That was the enthusiast versions of both consoles too, and I'm pretty sure the Pro outsold the X despite also being significantly weaker.

Ps2 was a beast when it was released. It realeased a year before xbox anc gc.

ps5 got xboxoned.

No console that has won a generation has been weaker than the competition at release.

onesvenus

In terms of TF and GPU clock it wasn't.
Those tests were done in August if I don't recall wrong. A lot of people were saying that CUs were fixed then and clocks could be increased. I'm sure in August those were really the specs. So yeah, a lot of shit to be eaten.

it's probably gonna be a little more than 16 tf and no, in 2-3 years it's not gonna be enough if you want to play everything at 4k60 frame rock solid and high details, the 2080ti wasn't capable of that even when it launched with some games.
i mean of course you are gonna play at high levels, just not top tier levels for 5-7 years.
(and this is if we even consider rtx)
I don't need 4k/60. I need Ultrawide/120hz. I'll make the adjustments as needed. Can't wait.

Old Empire.

I totally agree. The XBox has a massive advantage over the PS5. Not only is the GPU of the PS5 much weaker, but the CPU doesn't even have 16 threads.

Where did you see the CPU, not 16 threads?

People also not noticed the 10gigs on the xbox one series for games, the first slot, memory bandwidth has at a higher frequency. There pool is split. The first pool is. 560gbs. Sony 448gbs all 16 gigs.

Top Bottom