• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 specs revealed. Up to 10.2 Tflops.

jakinov

Nobody is going to care if a game theoretically loads in 1 second instead of 2 seconds. Well, not many anyway.
Makes things easier for the developers, and if could be higher than a one second difference. It's not just loading screens , it's the developers ability to dynamically change more and show more very fast. I would argue that would ultimately result in a better than a better user experience for MOST gamers than to have extra frames, and slighlty less blurry edges/textures you get from having more performance.

dolabla

Sony will always have the exclusive games which is the most important aspect, but damn if they didn't screw this thing up. Maybe they have something else in in the wings? Remember there was a rumor of launching 2 different models.

Amazing console, now it is about the price. Let's be honest, with the current world situation, 100 dollars difference will make a lot of people go with the cheaper one.

Sorry guys, I am literally in tears here.. haha..
The whole build up to this presentation, and Cerny talks about SSDs.

He was definityle the right guy for presenting the PS4, but he is definitely the wrong person to present the PS5, it seems..

What a train wreck...
LOL.
Bu bu but GDC isn't about excitement or games or stuff
Sony brought a little pocket knife to a chainsaw fight...

Last edited:

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Github leak is 100% on point again to the surprise of no sane person.

I think this is going to be a very loud system or the GPU clocks will only be for short bursts. These clocks are around 200-300 MHz higher than any other GPU AMD ships out of the box.

GAF member DemonCleaner did a great frequency/voltage power scaling for Navi 10 (and thus TSMC 7nm node) back a year ago.

powerscalinggpuonlyuljwr.png

Around 2x GPU power for those 400 MHz for like 10% performance is not a great trade-off for a console box IMO.
Yeah, taking speeds that high means Sony is in desperate mode to make the gap as small as possible. It's not something you design for. This console will be hotter, less powerful and consume more energy than XSX.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Most of the top 100 ps4 games will work on ps5 at launch. It’s not even fully BC w ps4 games. And will not play anything older than ps4.

I’m sorry this is an absolute disaster for Sony.

That's terrible. A lot of the games I have probably don't even fall into the top 100.

Kagey K

Banned
Most of the top 100 ps4 games will work on ps5 at launch. It’s not even fully BC w ps4 games. And will not play anything older than ps4.

Most of them will work on the series X too. Just saying,

CAB_Life

So PS5 will have no loading, unlike the SeX. But I guess no more loading in games suddenly doesn't matter, not like people have been complaining about loading for years or anything...

I think it’s quantitive though, like if the XSX has 2s loading time (as it still uses a decent SSD) and the PS5 has 1s or negligible, will anyone really notice or care other than Digital Foundry?

Digity

If I wouldn't be mainly on PC and was pressed to choose from the two after what we know so far, I would go with the X for sure.
But as PC is my primary platform I'll get the PS5 for the exclusives.
Same here pretty much, although if I wasn’t primarily a PC guy I’d still go with ps5 simply because of the games but since PC is my main jam I’ll be getting the ps5 for the exclusive line up.

Armorian

Banned
slower ram than XSX (at least 10GB of it)
- XSX with ~20% more powerful GPU, not that bad BUT*
- slower CPU than XSX *
- twice as fast SSD with ability to use pc drives, not bad but will it make any difference?

* - FUCKING POWER SAVER feature dropping (high as fuck) GPU clocks, loooool :messenger_grinning_squinting:

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

Seriously? From "all PS gens" to "hundreds of PS4 games out of thousands" in half a day. Guess BC is not that simple even with hardware support, eh Sony? MS efforts paying off next gen. Not even boost mode and enhancements to BC games on PS5?

Geki-D

Banned
Come on man, nobody cares whether a game loads in 1 second rather than 3 seconds. Very lame from Sony. No idea what their engineering team has been up to these last years.
Are we pretending games only take 3 secs to load?
You might want to get your stop watch out:

This current gen game on SeX still takes about 10 secs to load.

Aggelos

"Both the CPU and GPU are monitored by a special boost system that adjusts the frequency of these systems based on the current activities of both chips, a target ideal constant power drawn and a model SOC performance. For example, if the CPU is running at lower activity, the boost system may reduce its frequency and increase the frequency to the GPU to allow that GPU to run at higher performance without otherwise affecting power use or cooling. Because of this, Cerny said that direct comparison based on compute units or FLOPS to other hardware systems may not be accurate comparisons"

Top Bottom