• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PS5-SSD] Time for Playstation Home to make a comeback

Griffon

Yesterday I was on the toilet and I forgot my phone, so I had no choice but to think about something to pass the time. So here's what came up:

As you know, the PS5 SSD clearly has limited uses. Third parties will make games only with normal SSDs in mind (for multiplatform compatibility), and 1st party will perhaps use it more fully, but frankly they would still be making great games without it.
I was a bit miffled by Sony's choice, you don't sacrifice so much of your build budget just so your loadings are a few seconds faster. To me it made no sense, it wasn't reason enough.

When suddenly it hit me:
This is the perfect opportunity to bring back Playstation Home as fully integrated within the OS.

You would meet people in home and would have instant access to MP sessions with them without waiting.
You could be in the middle of a game session and receive a Home notification of a friends coming over in your virtual house. On the press of a single button you're back in home in less than a second, and with integrated streaming they can watch you play on the virtual living room screen.

It would be a fully integrated experience, and the lack of loading times here would make perfect sense. To have a completely seemless experience between PSHome and your games.
As a bonus, games could have home furniture/clothes as trophy rewards. Imagine a sudo animal crossing except getting new stuff involves playing other games.
You could have community-hubs or plazas dedicated to specific games and series where like-minded people could meet. I think Sony could use this to try foster a much stronger sense of community and sharing.

The PS4 had the share button, so what's the next step for the PS5? I think a re imagining of Home is what's up.

So GAF, am I crazy or does it make some sense to you?

Last edited:
Nah. People who think SSD as standard next gen will allow for amazingly new and revolutionary game experiences are delusional. More TFLops is where it's at.
:pie_thinking: ..................... No, you must be a xbox fan, do you think it can run sea of thieves when the kraken shows up ? let me tell you right now it wont.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Interesting idea, but it could be seen by many consumers, as adding a cumbersome step into a simple function, which is to simply start a game.

But then you'd say well, it could be optional. However if you have friends that are doing it this way, you're eventually gonna be forced to use it as well.

Also, although the idea of turning the OS into a game is very cool. I don't think it would serve the rest of the software very well. If you're adding a new step between the system's start up and the beginning of a game. Many people will probably end up getting less and less interested in the actual games. So, even though the idea is really cool, it might be a deterrent to the games. If you turn the system itself into a game application. It's a double edged sword.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Playstation home wasn't an essential feature of PS3 and if it was SONY would have kept it going into the PS4, unique but not essential for gaming.

Top Bottom