• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Vs Xbox Series X: First To 10 Million Sales Wins, Says Peter Moore

Makes sense, everyone who will be late to the party will want to go where their friends already are, the first 10MLN will drive the next 10, and those 20 combined will drive another 20, and so on.
With the huge momentum Sony has going into this next generation, this could happen a lot faster than it ever has. Shortages everywhere.

The Shift

Banned
Gamers have benefited and continue to benefit greatly from Xbox. What a dumb comment to make. Anyone who wishes Xbox dies and goes away doesn't deserve to be a gamer.

Are you sure Hendrick's? Really sure? Is there a grading system to be a gamer? If achieved can that certification be revoked? So many questions 🤡

So are we, plebs, now allowed to console war if executives are doing it? I mean, this sounds like some 12 year old wrote it.

TigerKnee

Why does Microsoft continue to waste time and money investing in the console market? Just baffling. Leave it and focus on PC gaming exclusively you fools. No one enthusiastically purchases 'Microsoft' products unless it's either Windows or Office, and they do that begrudgingly.

The quicker they kill the xbox brand and settle for a small PC exclusive portfolio and release schedule the better.

Right because Microsoft doesn't make any money in the console market... :rolleyes:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
The idea of one winning is stupid.

Buy whatever console interests you most. You should be the one winning. Not some multi billion dollar corporation. Have some damn respect for yourselves.

Imagine your life being so pathetic you are so interested in these companies. I could understand if you had shares in them... But this is like you paying them to let you suck their dick.

Dory16

Banned
I don't care who "wins". I worry about winning at life. And that involves playing great games wherever they're available.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Why does Microsoft continue to waste time and money investing in the console market? Just baffling. Leave it and focus on PC gaming exclusively you fools. No one enthusiastically purchases 'Microsoft' products unless it's either Windows or Office, and they do that begrudgingly.

The quicker they kill the xbox brand and settle for a small PC exclusive portfolio and release schedule the better.
I know you're trying to be funny but just stop it you're making a fool of yourself.

Microsoft will make a shit load of money from Windows licenses + Xbox subscriptions + hardware sales. They don't need to "win".

Says a lot about you if you think they should give up because they aren't winning this imaginary competition.

If Microsoft gave up then Sony would have zero competition. They could do whatever they want. Charge $1,000 a console and $100 a game. Sure some Sony fanboys would happily lube up and bend over for them but even if you are a staunch af Sony boy you should realize how important Microsoft are.

Xbox dies and goes away

Well it's up to Microsoft to make sure that doesn't happen. Successful products stay in the market while failures leave it. It's just the way business works. The market isn't a utopia for console makers it's actually pretty competitive. It's up to them to produce products that gamers want to support. And if the gamers don't want the product that's on them.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
What gets me is the way that the significance of digital buy-in is downplayed.

The plain fact is that if you have already invested thousands of dollars into your platform of choice (both in terms of purchases and stuff gifted to you as loyalty bonuses for being part of a service) switching is a big change.

Its not going to be nearly so easy to get people to switch sides as it was last time because (1) digital has grown massively since 2013, (2) we are not at the end of an extended gen where many people were kinda jaded by the software on offer.

The bottom line is that the success of the 360 was massively overstated for most of its lifetime while the gains Sony made re-habbing the PS3 tended to be overlooked. At the end of that gen Sony were clearly in the acendancy sales and mindshare-wise, while Xbox was declining.

This is not the situation we have now. Not even close.

Stuart360

This is such a stupid fanboy post. I mean even if you despise Microsoft, which you clearly do, why the hell would you want Sony to have zero competition, because Nintendo live in their own bubble and are no competition to what Sony is doing.
Also 50mil sales is far from bad. Most companies would love to have a product sell half that much. Just because Sony is well ahead doesnt change that.

Stuart360

Also regardless of what Phil and Microsoft say publicly, i doubt anyone there believes that can outsell PS5 worldwide. This is a rebound gen for them, try and claw back some of the lost market share, but PS5 will 'win' the gen. If Microsoft have a great gen with a ton of gamer goodwill etc, who knows what will happen with any potential Xbox 5 and PS6. This gen though, PS5 has it in the bag.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Dumb statement for multiple reasons; either way Sony is pretty much guaranteed to be the market leader in overall sales and revenue by a mile.

At this point a "win" for the Xbox division would be to still be in a positive light with Microsoft's board after 5 years. It's incredibly unlikely they achieve that by "winning" the generation in a traditional sense. Honestly think there's only a 50/50 chance they continue on after this generation because I really don't think cloud gaming is going to take off, and that's the main reason they have the attention of their CEO/board of directors. Hopefully a solid generation of sales is enough.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Was
The Wii hit it first, PS3 and 360 were fighting for second place.

This is basically just saying 'the first console to sell a huge number of units will sell the most overall!', and well, yeah, obviously.

I dont really count the wii as the usual consoles Lol and I dont think many people do.
It was launched at like £180, as strong as there last console and my grandma had one.
That gen it was between 360 vs PS3

Ten_Fold

Will be close but I can see ps5 hitting 10m first with series X at around 8-9m. I don’t think they will be far away. This next gen will probably be more like the ps3/360.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
I don't think they need to make consoles redundant or anything like dominate the industry.

Something like below would suffice:

1. Age Of Empires
2. Flight Simulator
3. Minecraft
4. Obsidian CRPG
5. inXile CRPG

That's it - they don't really need anything else. The above titles will give a healthy enough ROI and the studio overhead will be kept to a minimum. They would probably make some nice bank by selling all the remaining studios and IP's to the highest bidder.

Basically I would love them to become a PC Strategy/CRPG/Simulator developer.
Microsoft could hit 10 million just here in the states alone. Not to mention the other territories. Still, I don't think its going be all about console sales next gen. The industry has grown tremendously and its much bigger than just consoles. Subscriptions will be a priority one next gen IMO.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Peter Moore still kicking around saying stupid shit? What a fucking shocker.

Not everyone wants to buy a build a PC to play Microsoft's software. A console is still by and large the simplest way to play videogames for the majority of customers.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
This is such a stupid fanboy post. I mean even if you despise Microsoft, which you clearly do, why the hell would you want Sony to have zero competition, because Nintendo live in their own bubble and are no competition to what Sony is doing.
Also 50mil sales is far from bad. Most companies would love to have a product sell half that much. Just because Sony is well ahead doesnt change that.
They don't get that Sony isn't guaranteed anything next gen. Again, this is a Microsoft now that we've never seen before. No one has any idea what's going to happen. If they were still the Microsoft of old in the gaming space, they might have a point. Fact is, their not. They don't resemble the old Microsoft in any way, shape or form.

Totally different animal now.

Last edited:
Michael is right. You are going through what both companies are going through right now. Which is, “how much can we afford to lose in the first 12-18 months? What is our attach rate of software to hardware? What’s the revenue we can drive through services?

Well, yeah, many of us have been wondering how much loss MS is willing/able to eat per box sold in order to get a strong jumpstart out the gates this gen, hopefully starting to bridge the sales gap over the next few years. I don't know if being the first to 10mil means you win the gen, but it sure wouldn't hurt, right?

Can't tell if this is serious or not.

Was

I dont really count the wii as the usual consoles Lol and I dont think many people do.
It was launched at like £180, as strong as there last console and my grandma had one.
That gen it was between 360 vs PS3
Just cause you don't count the Wii as a 7th Gen console, doesn't mean it wasn't one.

It released around the same time and it dumpstered both the PS3 and the 360 in terms of sales and likely profits.
The PS3 was a money pit like no other, and Microsoft had to offer a hilarious number of RMA's cause of RROD.

Vawn

Banned
So first to be able to make 10 million consoles amidst COVID, wins?

I think it's telling, but it doesn't always work that way - it's a marathon, not a sprint. Look at PS3 vs 360.

Not to sound cocky on behalf of PlayStation, but Sony will win unless they MASSIVELY mess up and do so throughout the entire generation. PlayStation is just a bigger entity worldwide than Xbox.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned

You do realize Microsoft doesn't own the PC platform, right? Nor do they have a store that is close to being as popular as Steam.

Any non-Microsoft game that sells on Xbox, MS gets 30%. On Steam, EGS, etc they get 0%. Any first-party MS game on Xbox gets them 100%, where on Steam, they get 70%.

Microsoft would MUCH rather you play on THEIR closed ecosystem. That does not include PC. They do sell games on other platforms in order to sell software (at a lower revenue) to people who won't be buying an Xbox anyway - PC and Switch gamers.

TigerKnee

So first to be able to make 10 million consoles amidst COVID, wins?

I think it's telling, but it doesn't always work that way - it's a marathon, not a sprint. Look at PS3 vs 360.

Not to sound cocky on behalf of PlayStation, but Sony will win unless they MASSIVELY mess up and do so throughout the entire generation. PlayStation is just a bigger entity worldwide than Xbox.

I mean there's no question who's going to win so this metric is totally meaningless. Regardless of who gets to 10mil or not, both companies will do well.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
You do realize Microsoft doesn't own the PC platform, right? Nor do they have a store that is close to being as popular as Steam.

Any non-Microsoft game that sells on Xbox, MS gets 30%. On Steam, EGS, etc they get 0%. Any first-party MS game on Xbox gets them 100%, where on Steam, they get 70%.

Microsoft would MUCH rather you play on THEIR closed ecosystem. That does not include PC. They do sell games on other platforms in order to sell software (at a lower revenue) to people who won't be buying an Xbox anyway - PC and Switch gamers.

Beyond being barely used MS also only takes like a 10-15% cut on Windows Store sales lol

Gravemind

Sony will no doubt sell more units in the long run, theres really no way around that, and this is coming from someone who admittedly prefers Xbox, but always buys both.

This idea that the first console to 10m units "wins" is pretty foolish though. If the leaks are true and Sony will only have 7 million or so units ready for launch, and Microsoft has 10m or whatever, does that mean Sony loses the generation because they had less stock at launch and got beat to 10m first? No.

With that said I dont really consider "units sold" an indicator of which console is better overall anyway. It's not a popularity contest. It's about games, hardware, prices/value, and services for me. Whichever console provides the best overall experience, is the one I consider to have "won" the generation. For me, the 360 had the better experience over the PS3, and the PS4 had the better experience over the Xbox One. This generation though, I think it should be pretty close between the PS5 and XSX, in terms of the overall experience.

I like what I'm hearing from both camps in terms of the factors that actually matter to the average gamer. Not the financial bottom line, which doesnt effect me at all.

yurinka

Former Electronic Arts executive Peter Moore (he’s also the bloke who had a GTA IV tattoo, if you recall) has weighed in on the PS5 vs Xbox Series X ruckus, suggesting the first console to hit 10 million sales will emerge victorious.
360 was released with a release entry price of like half the price of a PS3 and was released like a year (or in case of EU, the main PS market, around a year and a half) before than PS3.
With these conditions 360 would have been a completed disaster to don't reach 10M before PS3.
But to reach the first 10M doesn't mean a shit, because PS3 outsold 360 if we look at the complete generation.
To be the first to reach 10M doesn't mean it will win the generation.

And this even happened when Sony made a lot of mistakes with PS3 and its launch, which was pretty much a disaster. But Sony learnt from their mistakes, fixed some things during the PS3 generations and another ones for PS4 -and for what we know seems it's going to be the case-, PS5. Sony is pretty likely to dominate the generation with PS5 as they are doing with PS4. Only having a highly unappealing price (over $599 and being over $100 more expensive than MS) and or getting a major delay of a year or so would avoid a major PS5 domination, and still in that case PS5 would very likely win at the end of the generation.

Last edited:

RayHell

I know Xbox SX is going to be an incredible value but few Playstation fans will ditch their favorite franchise to another console. Amount of good AAA games IP will ultimately make you a winner for more than one Gen.

S0ULZB0URNE

Isn't Sony only making 5 million it's 1st year?
I am sure with the right marketing people who can't get a PS5 will buy a XSX.
So MS needs to have much more XSX made and they can grab those people.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yeah, although this is obviously a troll remark, I think you are right. Playstation is so immensely popular, I just don't see Xbox dominating.. UNLESS PLaystation f*cks it up, which they have in the past.

That's the thing.....when Playstation screws up they only sell 86 million consoles.

Bryank75

Banned
PS5 will win easily... the issue is that Xbox isn't very popular globally.

Even if PlayStation has a terrible launch in USA, it would still be pretty close to XBox there but then consider Europe where it has 70 to 90% of the market, then add middle east, Japan and other markets....

I still think USA is up for grabs, maybe UK could swing Xbox but overall... not a chance.

Top Bottom