• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Content 03/06/08

I gave up, I bought another 3000 yen ticket for psn, dark mist + expansion here i come.

I think i'll also grab money idol exchanger.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I wish PSN had the latest iron man trailer in 1080p.

edit: the wipeout HD and CJ7 trailers make up for no new iron man HD trailer:D

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Wow, Rocketman is indeed horrible. HORRIBLE.

Also, those who buy flOw PSP should look closely at the end credits. Muhahaha! :D

Jaeyden

chubigans said:
Wow, Rocketman is indeed horrible. HORRIBLE.

Impossible!!!! That guy yesterday said that PSN was all about quality, not quantity. There is no quantity....so it has to be quality. You can't argue with that logic. So you must be wrong. :p

spock.jpg

Ephemeris

BeeDog said:
Oh, and how can someone like the Lost Planet theme? It's horrible! :lol

the gunshot noise it makes when moving between items gets annoying very quickly. Fail.

I started playing Rocketman but i turned it off when I picked up the pistol (had to go do something) from all the feedback in the thread I guess I should delete it instead of going back in. :lol

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Rocketman AoE is quite possibly the worst game on the PS3. Ten US dollars, really? That shit isn't worth downloading if it were free.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
OverHeat said:
Well we still have N+ and Rez from last month to help us ease the pain.

And Omega Five, Poker Smash, Chessmaster Live, Triggerheart Execlia and Commanders: Attack of the Genos. Damn, I feel really sorry for the PSN Types, hacing no gfame since Go Sports Skydiving and then having to eat Rocketmen: Axis of Evil after a month of nothing, nobody should have to suffer that fate, nobody.

OverHeat

« generous god »
The last games I bought on PSN : Everyday shooters AWESOME game and Pain worst game I bought on PSN

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
OverHeat said:
The last games I bought on PSN : Everyday shooters AWESOME game and Pain worst game I bought on PSN

You should pick up Pixeljunk Monsters, it is a very worthwile game.

Chris R

downloading rocketman demo, 21 trailer, and lost planet demo :lol

pass on gh and rb dlc

PSN just needs to crank out the shit. Every week should bring 5+ PS1 games, and at least 1 new psn game :(

jaydogg691

Yeah, this week's update was really weak for the US. The Echochorme demos were cool and the WipEout HD trailer is great. 1080p @ 60fps!!! I really can't wait for that game.

kbear

What's with the Rocketman hate? What is there to hate about it? It's just a top down shooter a la Smash TV. But it also has a lot of customizability with the loot upgrades, weapons, armor, etc.. Controls are fine as well, standard stuff. Even has a corny ass storyline...

The one beef I have is that the game is apparently only 10 levels long... what's up with that? There's 4-player online co-op which could make up for the length but still..

Icarus

I played Rocketmen with two friends tonight for about three hours... I don't understand the hate. Yes it's basic, but the collecting/leveling up stuff is quite fun.

If you're playing by yourself, you're doing it wrong (just like playing Gauntlet by yourself is no fun).

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
Rocketman is a steaming pile of dog shit. The voice acting is way beyond bad, and gameplay is about as poor as it gets. Talk about boring. The little computer hal, eye thing that tries to get you to put down the gun seemed like they were trying to capture GLadOS from Portal, but falling miserably on their face in the process. Just yuck.

KTallguy

Banned
The RocketMen demo was poor because of a myriad of reasons:

- Bullets looking like they'll miss you but they hit you anyway, which means that the hitbox is really weird. I can think of other non Japanese developed shmups (live arcade offerings, for instance) that suffer from this very issue. It's like a cube is extended around your character.

- Walking animation is pretty poor.

- Camera guiding you through the level prevents you from picking up powerups, activating switches, etc.

- The game mentions having multiple subweapons and switching between them, but there was no opportunity to try this.

- There were many flashy powerups I was picking up ala Lego Star Wars, but they all looked different, I had no idea what they were for, and they were never explained to me.

- Dialog is bleeding out of text boxes in cutscenes.

- Music/Voice mix is inconsistent.

I like the style and what they're going for with the game, but there are so many things that annoyed me. It lacks both design fundamental sense and polish. Deadly combination.

Zoe said:
There are Christmas, Halloween, and Summer Beach skins. I think the US only got the Halloween skin.

You know, i downloaded the halloween skin, then was prompted to do a 64 mb update to piyotama........

could it be that we got the other skins in an update?.....i dont know how this works yet but ill check.......

It would appear we have Haloween, Xmas, and Valentines....maybe we'll get summer this summer

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
KTallguy said:
- The game mentions having multiple subweapons and switching between them, but there was no opportunity to try this.

Secondary weapons like grenades. You get them by hitting those switches u mentioned.

Chris R

Rocketman could be better, it just seems that your hitbox it just huge, and after awhile you end up with the plain laser again...

Smash TV done bad :/

Tried rocketman, dont like it at all, wouldnt have played it if it werent for the demo. Comic style cutscenes are chintzy looking, they could have animated the transitions, especially given the spoken dialog.

oh well.

Looking forward to dark mist which i should be able to get tomorrow.

Zoe

pancakesandsex said:
You know, i downloaded the halloween skin, then was prompted to do a 64 mb update to piyotama........

could it be that we got the other skins in an update?.....i dont know how this works yet but ill check.......

It would appear we have Haloween, Xmas, and Valentines....maybe we'll get summer this summer

Awesome!

rhfb said:
PSN just needs to crank out the shit. Every week should bring 5+ PS1 games, and at least 1 new psn game :(
Unfortunately, at least 1 new PSN game cannot happen each week. Outside of a few Capcom games, Sony is making all the PSN games themselves (XBLA gets lots of third party help). Sony is trying to get more developers to support PSN (like what they said at GDC), but let's hope it works. THe PixelJunk devs can only produce 3 games a year doe PSN. Sony just needs help, but how can they get devs to support PSN if they just choose to go XBLA due to larger userbase? 5+ PS1 games is pushing it, because why should Sony bother putting up games like NFL Xtreme, the first NBA Shootout, and many other games absolutely no one would buy?

I haven't tried Rocketman yet, but after what people said, I'll probably just avoid it. The PS3 store update wasn't too great, but the PS Store for the PC update was good. I might eventually download Ape Escape: On The Loose since I just sold my copy recently (I'm talking about buying down the road).

I tried the PSN version of Rocketmen last night. I already played the XBL version so I knew going in that it was terrible but I wanted to see the differences. I didn't notice any slowdown and the game runs at 1080p. Still terrible, but what I did find odd was that the game doesn't seem to support rumble AT ALL. That seems pretty inexcusable for a new game at this point, wouldn't you agree?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Dr. Zoidberg said:
I tried the PSN version of Rocketmen last night. I already played the XBL version so I knew going in that it was terrible but I wanted to see the differences. I didn't notice any slowdown and the game runs at 1080p. Still terrible, but what I did find odd was that the game doesn't seem to support rumble AT ALL. That seems pretty inexcusable for a new game at this point, wouldn't you agree?
My DS3 was charging so I didn't try.

LAME.
Step your game up Capcom.

Shard said:
And Omega Five, Poker Smash, Chessmaster Live, Triggerheart Execlia and Commanders: Attack of the Genos. Damn, I feel really sorry for the PSN Types, hacing no gfame since Go Sports Skydiving and then having to eat Rocketmen: Axis of Evil after a month of nothing, nobody should have to suffer that fate, nobody.

Someone PLEASE get this man a tag. PLEASE.

Just a few more wonderful quotes:

Shard said:
Well, Sony is pretty much owning the PSN Digital Download Space (As in most of the content is coming from them) and they can't seem to manage the space worth a fuck.

Shard said:
I once again ask where the hell are all of the developers for this ruddy service, why do they have such an aversion to the PSN?

Shard said:
I guess they don't want to over burden the PSN Types when too much content per week or something.

I'm sure we could find tons more PSN 'Types' and trolling, but it's not really necessary. You've gone out of your way in multiple threads to come in and restate your opinion on how much the PSN sucks compared to XBLA.

I love them both. Many do. You do not.

Azrael

Wow, people weren't exaggerating. Played the demo out of morbid curiosity, and it really is worse than Cash Guns Chaos.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Azrael said:
Wow, people weren't exaggerating. Played the demo out of morbid curiosity, and it really is worse than Cash Guns Chaos.

Indeed, this game is getting clobbered everywhere.

For example: Rocketmen: Axis of Evil IGN PS3 Review

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/857/857655p1.html

5.0 Presentation
Playing Rocketmen is like buying a DVD on the street in Malaysia. It looks interesting, but you're not quite sure what you're getting.
5.0 Graphics
This one's tough. The actual game looks good enough, but the cutscenes are just inexplicable.
7.5 Sound
The music is great, and the sound designers paid close attention to details like bullet ricochets, etc.
5.5 Gameplay
Walking around and shooting is fun for a while. But a misbehaving camera and some odd design choices detract from the core shoot-em-up experience.
5.5 Lasting Appeal
Co-op play may be Rocketmen's most redeeming quality. It runs well for the most part, it's easy to hop into, and you'll have fun laughing at the cutscenes with your friends.
Mediocre OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Fucking hell Capcom, how did this turd ever pass through Quality Control?

So guys, i got dark mist, and the expansion. Ill have some more concrete impressions soon, but the game is great, and will be totally worth the wait.

It's kinda like a speed run friendly zelda game, with twin stick shooter mechanics.
Waggle to melee attack which also removes the mist (affects vision and shot range)

You can choose 2 control schemes, one plays like neo contra, one plays with both sticks instead. I prefer the twin stick layout. You cannot change mid game.

Main game was like a 300mb download, and the expansion was 148k....odd right? thats because when i booted it up it had a 1 gb patch to download >____<

Nice looking game, wierd lighting, gives it a magical feel.

This SSHD, and Piyotama are probably the best downloadables on the PSN

I'll have more detailed impressions later when i have enough for a blog post.

Top Bottom