• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN (Vita/PSP/PS4/PS3) Downloads Thread Z | January 2014 | The Legendary Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamerloid

Guys, the thread isn't dying. Obviously lots of people don't like change due to the future being unknown to them, but the long term effects of the process will benefit GAF as a whole more.

This should encourage more Vita threads and OTs since a lot of you fear the Vita will be overshadowed here in the soon to be PS OT. Vita being overshadowed isn't even guaranteed to happen anyway, and I don't see how it can happen unless you all split up or slow down on posting out of bitterness to even try the new system. Vita discussions will go on as long as VitaGAF continues it.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Wait, Vita threads are going bye? Well that blows. That was one of my favorite monthly threads on GAF...

Bullshit.

EDIT: The thing I liked about the specific monthly Vita threads is that the general Vita threads always tend to devolve into bullshit trolling and absurd negativity. There's definitely a lot to criticize about aspects of the Vita's life cycle so far, but as a whole, those threads turned into shit all the time. Other Vita threads are like every David Cage thread. You know what I'm talking about. The monthly threads had a nice balance of genuine critiques and praise. I find myself not even bothering to read a Vita thread when it's not the monthly one.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Option 2, coolasj19, or a slightly more peaceful mix.
Don't get banned lol.
Looking at how understandably viral everything is going right now, it's not going to be peaceful at first. I'm of the mind that says

If you have an opinion or a plan of action, and you cannot convince someone that you are right, you are either wrong, or not stating your argument valid enough. The mods have stated some of their arguments (their as a hivemind since I can not speak for any specific individual on the mod team or their decisions) and the consensus is that it does not fly. Right now the best case scenario is we go into a new thread GameGrumps Style. Jon leaves with one video and an unfinished series, they lose 100k+ subscribers, everyone bitches and yells for 3 months, life continues on. It worked for GameGrumps because commentors don't have any impact on the created content. Here, bad blood can be made. And then we (For simplicity sake I'm using we. Size could be 2 people, me and my air friend) are faced with 2 more options. Be bitter about it, have bad blood, wave that VitaGAF emblem in our avatars or accept it effectively laying down. Both are unsavory because both are the results of speaking your mind or trying not to make trouble. Is VitaGAF really such a big deal? For me personally? I'm not such the social butterfly so I will live with much annoyance but nary a blink. Other people put much more stock in and get more out. I've seen it happens and a link to a board means an immeasurable amount to some people. I'm not one to step in the way of progress, some times decisions like this need to made for progress sake but as far as I can tell, there has been very little explanation as to changing not for progress sake, but just for the sake of change. It's dishonorable to those people's choices that they do not get a say or a talking point in the matter. This would be going down leagues smoother if there were people involved in the making of the decision not defending, but explaining their decision. And then the flow of this thread would be a productive back and forth and not an XB1 DRM style rebellion.

Frankly, I'm annoyed no one is taking the bait for a well worded response in defense of the move. The only one there is,

Yasumi

Banned
If I know even a little about PhotoShop I would replace my laughing banana avatar with a non-smiling one.

Gave it a shot, looks closer to a yawn though.
image.jpg

Super simple third person combat, but I kind of find that refreshing. Looks fantastic, too. Hope it arrives soon!
Going to echo this. Really fun game, especially once your move set starts opening up and you can get upgrades. Still making my way through it, at about 14 hours.

I loved the anime and the 3rd movie, totally unexpected. Does this follow the anime?
Original story, but it follows the same structure as the anime. I made an import impressions thread a little while ago.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=740068&highlight=

I loved the anime and the 3rd movie, totally unexpected. Does this follow the anime?

It follows an original storyline for the most part, but certain events link directly back to the anime so you can relive a few moments. Surprisingly light-hearted so far, I'm not expecting that to last though!

Skyzard

Banned
Looking at how understandably viral everything is going right now, it's not going to be peaceful at first. I'm of the mind that says

If you have an opinion or a plan of action, and you cannot convince someone that you are right, you are either wrong, or not stating your argument valid enough. The mods have stated some of their arguments (their as a hivemind since I can not speak for any specific individual on the mod team or their decisions) and the consensus is that it does not fly. Right now the best case scenario is we go into a new thread GameGrumps Style. Jon leaves with one video and an unfinished series, they lose 100k+ subscribers, everyone bitches and yells for 3 months, life continues on. It worked for GameGrumps because commentors don't have any impact on the created content. Here, bad blood can be made. And then we (For simplicity sake I'm using we. Size could be 2 people, me and my air friend) are faced with 2 more options. Be bitter about it, have bad blood, wave that VitaGAF emblem in our avatars or accept it effectively laying down. Both are unsavory because both are the results of speaking your mind or trying not to make trouble. Is VitaGAF really such a big deal? For me personally? I'm not such the social butterfly so I will live with much annoyance but nary a blink. Other people put much more stock in and get more out. I've seen it happens and a link to a board means an immeasurable amount to some people. I'm not one to step in the way of progress, some times decisions like this need to made for progress sake but as far as I can tell, there has been very little explanation as to changing not for progress sake, but just for the sake of change. It's dishonorable to those people's choices that they do not get a say or a talking point in the matter. This would be going down leagues smoother if there were people involved in the making of the decision not defending, but explaining their decision. And then the flow of this thread would be a productive back and forth and not an XB1 DRM style rebellion.

Ok dude, apology accepted.

coolasj19

Ok dude, apology accepted.
I have no idea what you mean by that =P
I'm serious please explain.
. I'm a bit slow when I'm not being long winded. Usually my post sit half finished on my phone for like 2 days.

I need Eufloria impressions or videos. I have No idea how it plays.

Skyzard

Banned
I have no idea what you mean by that =P
I'm serious please explain.
. I'm a bit slow when I'm not being long winded. Usually my post sit half finished on my phone for like 2 days.

I need Eufloria impressions or videos. I have No idea how it plays.

Nevermind ;)

Eufloria rocks!

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
it's 2014 and Vita 2000 is not yet announced for NA/Europe. what is going on?

Man. Thinking about some other long time Vitabros like Skyzard, eighty(one), corrosivefrost, bluemaxima, takao, zeroaka, etc. and it makes me sad if this is the end of something that's been going on so long. It wasn't always the Games & Service thread but the ongoing threads we had before were still the same great discussions and community.

The new threads won't be the same. I mean, just go into any of the weekly PS Update threads. It's just a different dynamic here and that will change.

^*hug dude*

Suck memories. got Vita with Gravity Rush and was on Vita thread for a long time till people started getting angry fast.

early Vita threads months were the glory days.

I'll miss you guys ;_;

vakarian32

Ah that sucks a bit, this thread is usually part of my daily ritual for just Vita discussion in one place. I don't post here much but it's one of my fav threads on GAF. Also if anyone likes feel free to add me on PSN (in profile).

CES is happening right now and Kaz Hirai has a keynote in less than 24 hours. If the Vita 2000 is going to be announced anytime between now and the next couple of months, it'll be then.

coolasj19

Suck memories. got Vita with Gravity Rush and was on Vita thread for a long time till people started getting angry fast.
I'll miss you guys ;_;
I would like to say CES but seeing as how they still used the OG Vita for their pre-roll it's extremely unlikely. February PlayStation even is a small possibility but most likely it'll be in March around GDC. famousmortimer says price drop considerations are go for March and Borderlands, Minecraft, and FFX HD, will all be hitting in March. If there was ever a time for a redesign drop it would be then.

And that right there is probably a source mods will cite. While walled communities have a purpose, they can also be poison. If not obsessively inclusive names are formed and possibly cliques too. Though I'm not one to speak on the makeup of the thread. I'm just speaking in generalities.

Yes, this is one of the reasons we don't generally want console/platform-specific OTs. People start to view them as a safe place where they can hide to talk about the things they like without encountering people who might disagree with them. This is not the purpose of a discussion board!

Go ye and discuss things unafraid, vitamuffins! If someone disagrees with you, respond with sensible points. If someone is trolling you or being a jerk, PM a mod. Live, and learn, and grow.

Believe.

I missed this earlier and felt the need to comment, even though you might be long gone.
I've been banned for posting what one mod called a "tasteless comment".

Yet, when I found that I was mildly offended by another users posts and contacted a mod (pick a random one out of a hat, you'll get no response or a random response which may or may not be what you expect) about the fact that the user became belligerent with me after I told him that people could take offense to what he said and got told nothing was ban worthy there.

I've seen people banned for something which might be very loosely classified as port-begging (and yet there are threads about starting campaigns to get games ported to other platforms). I've seen people banned for unpopular opinions. I've seen people get away with threats and insults with no repercussion.

What I took away from this is that consistency in GAF moderation is unlikely and to stay away from threads where posting an opinion which might be frowned upon might get me a time out. There is no "report this post" function that sends out notification to the active moderators about the problem. There's just a list of mods. That's it. None of this serves to foster healthy discussion.

Meanwhile, this thread has plenty of healthy discourse revolving around the Vita. Differing opinions regarding a wide range of games on a single platform. Posters willing to go out of their way to help people who are genuinely interested in the system they love. The only way it's safe is we're not normally somewhere the people who are preaching doom for the platform come to comment regularly. New people buy the system, they come in with questions, they become part of the community that's developed. It's not like it's just a giant circle jerk in here where everyone says "Vita is the best thing ever and nothing is wrong with it and every game on it is a masterpiece." And the problem with moving discussion of a game to the OT for that game, if it exists, is that you won't necessarily be able to discuss things with them. Vita, like it or not, is a niche device. Bringing the Dragon's Crown discussion to the Dragon's Crown OT (particularly before the cross-play patch went live) would've been useless. Sure, you could've asked about how to level up your character or whatever... but if you want to find a bunch of other people to play with you or get a specific question answered about the Vita version? You're probably out of luck. I can't tell you the number of times I've seen someone come into one of these community type threads and ask a question because nobody was answering them in the OT (especially for games which have fallen by the wayside because they're not hot/current at the moment.)

Oh well, at least if this thread isn't going to carry on in it's current form, at least I can stop complaining about answering the same 10 questions over and over and over and over again. :p

I did a nearly 15 minute rant about this thread closing. I'll edit this post and put it here once it uploads.

http://youtu.be/TgABJ_di74Y Spam this at the admins please.
Although I mostly lurk the vita threads, I really agree with most of the points in the video. One point that I really liked that you come to neogaf for vita related news, same here. It's one of the main reason why I visit the gaming side of neogaf lately. Plus, it isn't filled with vita is doomed topics/discussion like other forums. But instead, people actually discussing the games on the platform or what they're looking forward to.

I'll miss lurking vita threads.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Do you hear the people sing?
Singing a song of angry men?
It is the music of a people
Who will not... put a couple more games in their OP?

When the beating of your heart
Echoes the beating of the drums
There is a life about to start
When tomorrow comes!

Yes, this is one of the reasons we don't generally want console/platform-specific OTs. People start to view them as a safe place where they can hide to talk about the things they like without encountering people who might disagree with them. This is not the purpose of a discussion board!

Believe.

...YES IT IS. People talking about a specific subject on a subject as wide as video gaming is a bad thing now?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
CES is happening right now and Kaz Hirai has a keynote in less than 24 hours. If the Vita 2000 is going to be announced anytime between now and the next couple of months, it'll be then.

I would like to say CES but seeing as how they still used the OG Vita for their pre-roll it's extremely unlikely. February PlayStation even is a small possibility but most likely it'll be in March around GDC. famousmortimer says price drop considerations are go for March and Borderlands, Minecraft, and FFX HD, will all be hitting in March. If there was ever a time for a redesign drop it would be then.

yeah I guess it's now (Kaz Keynote) or never.

maybe the west will get a different Vita? after the fast failure that was VitaTv maybe Sony changed their plans and will try something new or new approach for the west like a Tablet Vita or Xperia Vita.

a new "Western" model with a Triluminos screen, regular flash cards, L2/R2 triggers and click-able sticks (and maybe the ability to load android as Other OS) will be nice.

VanWinkle

I'll miss you guys ;_;

Haha, yeah man the early threads were fun. I remember the first few threads got up to the 20,000 post limits in like a month or so each. And the outlook for Vita still looked bright at the time. But you have to admit you were INSANELY negative all the time.

Do you hear the people sing?
Singing a song of angry men?
It is the music of a people
Who will not... put a couple more games in their OP?

When the beating of your heart
Echoes the beating of the drums
There is a life about to start
When tomorrow comes!

It's just...it'll be different. It will be like the weekly store update threads except one per month. And don't get me wrong, I like those threads, and I'd rather have what you guys are proposing than nothing at all, but this is such a tight-knit community in these threads and I'll miss it.

baekshi

Banned
yeah I guess it's now (Kaz Keynote) or never.

a new "Western" model with a Triluminos screen, regular flash cards, L2/R2 triggers and click-able sticks (and maybe the ability to load android as Other OS) will be nice.
While they're at it, make 8GB carts.

metalshade

Wait, I don't own a PS3, PS4, or PS+, I only own a Vita.
Where do I go now for my Vita news and discussions?
I don't want to have to read all the PS3 PS4 junk just to get to the stuff I want to read.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Haha, yeah man the early threads were fun. I remember the first few threads got up to the 20,000 post limits in like a month or so each. And the outlook for Vita still looked bright at the time. But you have to admit you were INSANELY negative all the time.

It's just...it'll be different. It will be like the weekly store update threads except one per month. And don't get me wrong, I like those threads, and I'd rather have what you guys are proposing than nothing at all, but this is such a tight-knit community in these threads and I'll miss it.
To be honest, if we were to randomly interview people from the Steam thread, I don't think any of them would report back that there's no sense of community there or that they have trouble discussing what they want to despite an incredibly quick pace.

Skyzard

Banned
To be honest, if we were to randomly interview people from the Steam thread, I don't think any of them would report back that there's no sense of community there or that they have trouble discussing what they want to despite an incredibly quick pace.

There's quite a bit of difference with PCs with different specs and PS4 vs a Vita.

3DS+WiiU fit fine because, it's the Nintendo download store

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
There's quite a bit of difference with PCs with different specs and PS4 vs a Vita.

Sure, but I think vastly more PS4 discussion is going to go filter into their own threads and they'll only be in here when they're like "Oh hey what do you think of _________ that's on sale today?" or want to discuss something too small to get attention on the platform, which won't be the vast majority of the library until later in the lifecycle.

3DS+WiiU fit fine because, it's the Nintendo download store

There are no cross-buy games there though, whereas there are a lot on Vita/PS3/PS4 or even cross-platform games. I mean just looking at the OP the retail game is multiplatform and two of the instant game collection games are too.

ZeroAKA

Oh well, at least if this thread isn't going to carry on in it's current form, at least I can stop complaining about answering the same 10 questions over and over and over and over again. :p
It's going to be fun answering "why is <PS3 Game #3> not on PS+ yet" for the 20th time in the new thread, not to mention all of the other PS4 and Vita related PS+ questions...

Soul4ger

Hey. Sad to see this is coming to an end. I didn't post a ton, except when I got excited about acquiring a new game or finally earning an elusive trophy, but I lurked a lot and really appreciated almost everyone's excitement and general insight. I can't understand the rationale behind shutting this down, no matter how much admins might try to rationalize it, but they're the boss(es).

Anyway, quick question. Any impressions of One Piece: Kaizoku Musou 2 for the Vita? Is it a quality port, or a trainwreck? I'd love to get it, and sooner rather than later. I don't want the PS3 version, if the Vita one is serviceable. So much more fun to play a game like that on the go.

My PSN ID is Soul4ger. I'm already friends with a few of you, but I'd like to keep track of most of you and see what everyone's playing. If you wish, please add me.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If you want me to be incredibly blunt, my actual expectation at this point is that you will get like a 10-20% increase in traffic max and this thread will otherwise look exactly the same.

Why? Because as you guys said, there's PS3/PS4 conversation everywhere. I only expect people who don't feel their questions are a good fit for the general forum/aren't answered anywhere else to come in here and ask questions, which will be about the types of small indie games that are largely on Vita as well.

Skyzard

Banned
^ oh so it's not because it's a megathread this time

Sure, but I think vastly more PS4 discussion is going to go filter into their own threads and they'll only be in here when they're like "Oh hey what do you think of _________ that's on sale today?" or want to discuss something too small to get attention on the platform, which won't be the vast majority of the library until later in the lifecycle.

There are no cross-buy games there though, whereas there are a lot on Vita/PS3/PS4 or even cross-platform games. I mean just looking at the OP the retail game is multiplatform and two of the instant game collection games are too.

Well...I hope the new thread works out like you think. Would be nice if the thread started with VITA/PS4/PS3

If you want me to be incredibly blunt, my actual expectation at this point is that you will get like a 10-20% increase in traffic max and this thread will otherwise look exactly the same.

Why? Because as you guys said, there's PS3/PS4 conversation everywhere. I only expect people who don't feel their questions are a good fit for the general forum/aren't answered anywhere else to come in here and ask questions, which will be about the types of small indie games that are largely on Vita as well.

As long as the topics we talk about in here (I.e. new users asking for recommends, grips discussion, vita specific but not PSN related) are fin in this new thread. Because this thread has a higher helpful signal to noise than most community/OTs.

I see it as conformity for the sake of conformity to be honest.

Novocaine

That's a totally different ballpark though, it's still discussing one overall platform with a shared pool of games. PS3/PS4/Vita share some games but for the most part they are independent of each other.

It would make just as much sense to have a PS3/PS4/X360/XBOne/PC thread because they share common games wouldn't it?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
As long as the topics we talk about in here (I.e. new users asking for recommends, grips discussion, vita specific but not PSN related) are fine. Because this thread has a higher helpful signal to notice than most community/OTs.

Yes that's exactly the idea of the thread, but to extend it to PS4/PS3 as well since there's a major game overlap.

One of those is an end of life of life platform (PS3) and the other has a relatively low number of games coming out (PS4) too so I don't think you will have 500 people coming in to ask about Killzone Shadow Fall here since we have large ass Shadow Fall threads, but rather say, Don't Starve.

ZeroAKA

Will the new thread be a general OT like the old threads or monthly like the way we're doing it now? And when do we need to pack our bags by?

A Vitabro should definitely make the new thread. I'm up to the task unless someone else really wants to do it or called it already.

Yes that's exactly the idea of the thread, but to extend it to PS4/PS3 as well since there's a major game overlap.

One of those is an end of life of life platform and the other has a relatively low number of games coming out too so I don't think you will have 500 people coming in to ask about Killzone Shadow Fall here since we have large ass Shadow Fall threads, but rather say, Don't Starve.

Well I'm open to change, and I hope you're correct. Otherwise you're honestly going to be screwing up something that's cherished, and would probably need to reverse the decision after the fact.

Soul4ger

Nirolak, I appreciate that you're taking the time to talk to us about it. It's pretty nice of you, given that you really don't have to and I'm sure we're annoying as shit. But if you don't foresee it changing that much... Why change it at all?

Well okay but if the Vita bashing begins, it will reaffirm my opinion that Gaf has become a 3DS elitist forum and I'll just leave. Let's give it a chance guys but I don't feel good about it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well okay but if the Vita bashing begins, it will reaffirm my opinion that Gaf has become a 3DS elitist forum and I'll just leave. Let's give it a chance guys but I don't feel good about it.

See the other issue with the platform threads is a lot of posters in it get this odd idea that the rest of the forum all hates them because they don't interact with them enough to see that they won't bite their heads off, and the one that gets the most complaints about this kind of threads from other mods.

We get dramatic walk-outs and "the world is ending" posts from adding a few more posters into the thread which suggests kind of an extreme insularity about this kind of thing.

Nirolak, I appreciate that you're taking the time to talk to us about it. It's pretty nice of you, given that you really don't have to and I'm sure we're annoying as shit. But if you don't foresee it changing that much... Why change it at all?

This this this this this. It's hard to see this being worth anyone's time to change - we don't want it because it takes away from the one continual Vita discussion on this board, and needlessly merging discussion that is already had and can be had outside this topic is needless, no matter how much the libraries compare to eachother.

It's going to be fun answering "why is <PS3 Game #3> not on PS+ yet" for the 20th time in the new thread, not to mention all of the other PS4 and Vita related PS+ questions...

Yeaaaaah... have fun with that. :lol

Haha, remember when the 3DS was doomed? And now it's a miracle from Heaven or so I'm told. ;)

See the other issue with the platform threads is a lot of posters in it get this odd idea that the rest of the forum all hates them because they don't interact with them enough to see that they won't bite their heads off, and the one that gets the most complaints about this kind of threads from other mods.

We get dramatic walk-outs and "the world is ending" posts from adding a few more posters into the thread which suggests kind of an extreme insularity about this kind of thing.

Have you been to other threads? I'm not scared to talk about the Vita any other threads but the obvious trolling sucks. It's been getting in the sudden increase of "Vita or 3DS" threads where they typically turn to crap 2 pages in. The Wii U bashing in sales threads is also annoying, why do people act like kids in a forum that takes forever to get accepted into? Because sometimes they don't get slapped in the hand for it. Not saying that the mods are bad here, it's that the kid dish attitudes have not been death with enough.

sorry for typos, I typed this out from my phone lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom