• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP 2006 holiday lineup - best handheld lineup ever?

Carlisle

This is a really great line-up, but it'll be tough for the PSP to shake the "no good games" stigma it's had since day 1, despite the dozen or so great games it already has. Even after 2 Metal Gear games, Syphon Filter and Daxter (which were critcally acclaimed), GTA, Socom, Mega Man Powered Up, Tekken, Valkyrie Profile, and Ace Combat X, all you ever hear is that PSP has no good games.

And besides, there is one huge thing missing from this lineup that would not only guarantee the PSP as a hot holiday item, but also sellout the incredible holiday lineup: a price drop. Until then, the PSP will be weighed down.

Kangu

Banned
Oh shit. Now everyone's feeling victimized. Woe is I, ye trolled me beloved picture box of witchcrafte when I was week of minde and spirite, now ye shall paye.

AniHawk

Kangu said:
Oh shit. Now everyone's feeling victimized. Woe is I, ye trolled me beloved picture box of witchcrafte when I was week of minde and spirite, now ye shall paye.

...Just sayin'...

Tabris

AniHawk said:
...Just sayin'...

Seriousely, until the nbots started to get real vocal in sales threads and trolling PSP threads, when was Nintendo ever really trolled except from DrinkyCrow?

I don't remember going into a game thread like Mario Strikers or Donkey Konga, or a holiday Gamecube list and reading the first 5 posts as "lol, gamecube has no games"

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sho Nuff said:
Is it possible to have a PSP thread without dickheads turning it into DS vs PSP war? This thread was asking for it though, what with its title and all.

I don't think so, at least not around here.

Tony HoTT

Banned
Man don't you guys remember the time before the DS and PSP came out when everyone would troll DS threads? Go back and look at those. You'll notice that a lot of people who troll the PSP now were trolling the DS back then.

People just like making fun of shit. And this thread title says "best handheld lineup ever?" which is basically an open challenge for people to bash the line up so quit being pussies.

****in pathetic.

PSP sux.

Tony HoTT said:
Man don't you guys remember the time before the DS and PSP came out when everyone would troll DS threads? Go back and look at those. You'll notice that a lot of people who troll the PSP now were trolling the DS back then.

People just like making fun of shit. And this thread title says "best handheld lineup ever?" which is basically an open challenge for people to bash the line up so quit being pussies.

****in pathetic.

PSP sux.
So you're advocating trolling for the sake of trolling? wtf.

Andy787 said:
I like how the same people who always hate on the PSP for it's reliance on sequels must then post their counter-lists of great looking DS games.. which also happen to be 95% sequels. :p

LOL MY SEQUELS ARE BETTAR THAN YOUR SEQUELS

NITENDUO!!!!!
Quoted for truth. Even though I'm a DS owner.

The lineup is pretty solid, but I wouldn't say it's the *best ever* handheld lineup. I wouldn't mind taking a gander at Metal Gear Solid, Metal Slug Anthology and Lumines, but Castlevania, FFIII and Yoshi's freakin' Island will keep me occupied for a while. Which lineup is better is a subjective argument that will only end in sore throats, popped veins and bitter fanboy tears.

The fact is, calling this the "best handheld lineup ever" is asking for trouble. Really, it should probably be called the "best PSP lineup ever".

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
kzlpsp.jpg
gtavcspsp.jpg
pscpsp.jpg
lum2psp.jpg

socomfb2psp.jpg
e3psp.jpg
B000HKMG14.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V36970428_.jpg

B000IFRPLO.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V38236977_.jpg
B000FVM49Y.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V40653406_.jpg
B000EZ3FDU.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V38236802_.jpg

B000HASVR2.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V38645557_.jpg
00316794.jpg

"MMMMM MMMMM .....BITCH"

jiggle

Even if i can't get a PS3, will have lots to play on this :D

Puts PS2 to shame, only FFXII. If only Rogue Galaxy wasnt' delayed :(

Coen

Serious question: what makes Lumines II worth buying? I like Lumines, still play it a lot, but I'm not convinced a sequel will bring anything new to the table. Q? whoring out Lumines to whoever's willing to pay doesn't help much either.

I'll probably stick with Metal Gear Solid and Powerstone on PSP and Elite Beat Agents, Final Fantasy III and Castlevania on DS. Best of both worlds! :)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Tabris said:
I mean I think we've gotten enough PSP trolling done on this board to equal the jackasses who trolled the Gamecube, don't ya think?

....dear GOD.

As for the topic, no. It'll take more than Lumines 2 and Metal Slug Anthology.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
To answer the OP's question: Of course not. Listing some second tier games doesn't help the point ;). It's a good Line Up, but using the cavuto on best handheld lineup ever doesn't give a positive impression imo.

donny2112

Amused_To_Death said:
This PSP lineup is one of the most impressive ever...If it doesn't push the PSP over the hump, nothing will...

<pics>
GTA:VCS
MGS:portable Ops
Star Wars:Lethal Alliance
Killzone Liberation
Sonic Rivals
Rainbow Six: Vegas
SOCOM 2
Death Jr. 2
Warhammer
Medal of Honor: Heroes
Ace Combat X
Lumines II
Metal Slug Anthology
Power Stone Collection
Genesis Collection
</pics>

So let me get this straight. You think that four sequels to games already on the system (and MGS is the third Metal Gear, though the first two were card games), a game also on the DS, ports of two current console games, two collections of old games, Ace Combat X (three Ace Combats on the PS2), Sonic Rivals (another Sonic game), Medal of Honor (three Medal of Honors on the PS2), Killzone Liberation, and Warhammer will "push the PSP over the hump"?

I think you are confused a bit.

Will some of those games sell? Yes, but mostly to existing PSP owners or people who were going to buy the system eventually, anyway.
Are these games "system sellers" (i.e. take someone who doesn't care about PSP and make them buy the system)? Not in my opinion.

who gives a rat's ass about system sellers because you guys only talk about sales,
I rarely met normal sane human beings who base their consummer habbits on sales charts,

by that sales chart logic, you would deprive oneself from great games like RocoLoco?

LevelNth

Banned
What's both funny and yet tragically sad at the same time, is that regardless of how many awesome games were listed in the first post, this thread would've turned out the exact same way. Honestly, the PSP could produce the most incredible 12 month period of gaming ever seen over the next year (not saying it will), and many, many folks here still wouldn't budge an inch.

Holtz

MGS: PO is a definite, Ace Combat and GTA maybes, evertyhing else i'll wait for opinions. A damn good lineup indeed. Don't care about the DS/PSP wars, so won't comment on the thread title.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Pretty solid (much better than the DS lineup)

castle007 said:
it is good.

But CV:pOR>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everything on HHs this holiday
I'm sure CV will be an excellent game, but truth be told, I'm tired of this formula. I barely managed to make my way through last years DS title and I don't think I will even bother with this one. The addition of a secondary character does not appeal to me at all and the game looked a bit rough around the edges (based on what was shown during the 1up show).

MoxManiac

As much as I like PSP better than DS, I think Yoshi Island DS, Castlevania and FF3 push the DS above PSP for me this fall. Then again, i'm never interested in GTA or MGS (unless it's Ac1d)

Bulla564

Banned
Should we add downloadable PS1 games to the holiday PSP line-up?

And yes, this line-up is superior to the DS holiday line-up.

Not best handheld line up ever, (or even this year, IMO) but pretty good line up regardless.

I want GTA, Lumines 2 and Metal Gear.

This thread is not meant to pit the PSP vs. DS, but rather look at the collection of games coming out within a small time window for one system. Even if you take it up against established consoles, I don't think you'll find quite a good collection of games coming out simultaneously on aother system...

Matix

Although making a topic titled "best handheld lineup ever"is a bold move, can someone actually prove this statement as false. IMO, as of now this PSP-06 lineup seems to be superior to the Q4-Pocket Lineups of 2004 + 2005. And sadly I honestly can't recall any past holiday handheld gaming lineups before the DS vs. PSP fiasco shit. So does anyone want to make some past generations comparisons (before 2004), to see which handheld wins the "best handheld lineup ever".

Soul4ger

:lol PSP owners get so excited when their system gets a few games. :lol

I can relate, I'm excited for Gitaroo Man port and PC freeware port EEE. :(

Amused_To_Death said:
This thread is not meant to pit the PSP vs. DS, but rather look at the collection of games coming out within a small time window for one system. Even if you take it up against established consoles, I don't think you'll find quite a good collection of games coming out simultaneously on aother system...

It is a quite impressive lineup, and I had not realized how much good stuff was coming until you posted it.

Unfortunately, the thread title and the inclusion of some less-than-great games made it like honey to certain trolls.

I agree, I don't think so mnay solid games have ever come out for one handheld in such a short amount of time.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Matix said:
Although making a topic titled "best handheld lineup ever"is a bold move, can someone actually prove this statement as false. IMO, as of now this PSP-06 lineup seems to be superior to the Q4-Pocket Lineups of 2004 + 2005. And sadly I honestly can't recall any past holiday handheld gaming lineups before the DS vs. PSP fiasco shit. So does anyone want to make some past generations comparisons (before 2004), to see which handheld wins the "best handheld lineup ever".

ugh, why? it's subjective anyway.

anyhow, this will be the most handheld titles I potentially pick up for a season, though I'm trying to just rent a few.

Working under the assumption that I actually own a PSP, there's.. one... two... three... four games that I would actually agree to shelling out cash for.

So, for me at least, definitely not the 'best handheld lineup ever'.

jjasper

Its a good line up a lot of stuff I want and since I won't be buying a lot of them right now because of PS3 they will last me far into next year.

I guess those will be awesome titles to the mainstream, but after seeing how awesome Generation of Chaos and Spectral Souls were, I've been more looking into the less popularity-based/misunderstood PSP titles.

I will be picking up Metal Slug Anthology and Metal Gear Portable Ops though... but is Metal Gear AC!D done for? I know since the casual gamer opinion equates to "cards = STOOPID YU-GAY-OH KIDDY CRAP" MGA got some bad publicity, but I was pretty into them, even when they chopped the serious tone for that silly cel-shading.

Ranger X

The PSP is indeed having some top notch holiday lineup. The DS is also having such a lineup too so i guess pretty much nothing will change.
I fear for the PSP, i wonder what will happen to it of it doesn't really take off this year.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Soul4ger said:
Yeah, I always thought it was laughable for gamers to get excited about new games on systems they own...

Musashi Wins! said:
ugh, why? it's subjective anyway.
Agreed. Just chalk the thread title up to OP's personal opinion and let's go from there.

Ranger X said:
The PSP is indeed having some top notch holiday lineup. The DS is also having such a lineup too so i guess pretty much nothing will change.
I fear for the PSP, i wonder what will happen to it of it doesn't really take off this year.

I doubt it will. They can bring handheld gaming out of the ghetto, but that doesn't mean everyone will follow.

No matter how long the amount of PSP exclusives/remakes have toppled the number of direct ports, they will still claim it's nothing but ports and sports 'til the end, as well as talk about how they aren't spending $50 on a handheld game when the norm has long since changed to $40 and most PSP games can be obtained for $15-$25.

Great PSP games will continue getting low scores for petty reasons(most of which lie in "It doesn't innovate the genre") which will screw the secondhand PSP game advertising.

They'll keep on saying that the PSP can't handle shooters even with Syphon Filter and MOH out and keep trying to insist that it's more of a multimedia device than it is a game system, and regardless of how many games it racks up that are in the high 70s-80 percentile people will still insist that it has no good games and introduces nothing new to the table.

And as long as Sony keeps the prices so high, no one is gonna attempt to stray away from the above ignorance... especially given that PSP advertising is nothing short of a total atrocity(if I hadn't been doing my research, and were relying only on commercials like the average consumer, I'd know of only about 8 psp games).

The fanboyism and bias are simply too large to stop now, so the PSP seems like it's pretty much just gonna linger to it's death.

It's a shame... especially considering that afterwards, it'll be back to playing GBA games on the DS and wading through waves of mini game compilations to get to an exceptional Castlevania or Final Fantasy title.

NomarTyme

Soul4ger[B said:

I can relate, I'm excited for Gitaroo Man port and PC freeware port EEE. :(
What so funny?

Lumines II, Killzone Liberation, MGS: PO, Gunpey, and GTA:VCS is a few now?

Top Bottom