• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Custom Firmware Thread

cj_iwakura

Try extracting the UMD's you own to ISO's if your memory card is big enough for all the games.

Belatedly, a reinstall fixed it, but thanks.

Been toying around with prxshot to no avail, can't seem to get the capturing to work, and it says all three plugins are enabled.

And you're in CFW mode, right? When you press the select button, the CFW menu should come up.

When I press Select I get "PRO VSH MENU"

Here are the settings:
CPU CLOCK XMB - Default
CPU CLOCK GAME - Default
USB DEVICE - Memory Stick
UMD ISO MODE - M33 driver
ISO VIDEO MOUNT - None
RECOVERY MENU>
SHUTDOWN DEVICE
SUSPEND DEVICE>
RESET DEVICE>
RESET VSH>
EXIT

And if I go to System Settings > System Info, it says:
"System Software 6.60 PRO-B10"

Is this what I should see? Do I need to install some kind of plugin or something?

When I press Select I get "PRO VSH MENU"

Here are the settings:
CPU CLOCK XMB - Default
CPU CLOCK GAME - Default
USB DEVICE - Memory Stick
UMD ISO MODE - M33 driver
ISO VIDEO MOUNT - None
RECOVERY MENU>
SHUTDOWN DEVICE
SUSPEND DEVICE>
RESET DEVICE>
RESET VSH>
EXIT

And if I go to System Settings > System Info, it says:
"System Software 6.60 PRO-B10"

Is this what I should see? Do I need to install some kind of plugin or something?

Yeah that's custom firmware for you ;) UMD iso driver isn't the latest, but M33 should work fine, and it wouldn't be the reason why you don't see any isos at all. One sec, I'll plug my PSP in and see if I can't figure out why yours isn't working.

(edit) Only difference is I'm on pro-C... but again, that's a non-issue. Just slightly more up to date. Are you making sure your iso/ciso files are JUST in the ISO folder? They should look something like "H:\ISO\Breath of Fire 3.iso"

apesh1t

Banned
ISO file folder needs to be outside of the PSP folder, run recovery and they'll show up. Only emulators PSX games need to go inside of the PSP folder.

I asked this in the Vita thread, but whats the best SNES emulator? I have Euphoria V5 is there a more recent one? It sounds really tinny and not all the games play

(edit) Only difference is I'm on pro-C... but again, that's a non-issue. Just slightly more up to date. Are you making sure your iso/ciso files are JUST in the ISO folder? They should look something like "H:\ISO\Breath of Fire 3.iso"

ISO file folder needs to be outside of the PSP folder, run recovery and they'll show up. Only emulators PSX games need to go inside of the PSP folder.

yeah, I'm on a Mac so I don't see the "H:\" but the ISO folder is at the root level of the memory stick, not inside PSP or GAME or anything. I have emulators in the PSP/GAME folder and they works just fine, but nothing in the ISO folder is showing up anywhere. Thanks for the help guys, I'm very perplexed here.

No rush right now, I have to take my son to hockey for a couple hours. I'll check back this afternoon and see if anyone has any ideas.

Again, thank you. I appreciate it.

I asked this in the Vita thread, but whats the best SNES emulator? I have Euphoria V5 is there a more recent one? It sounds really tinny and not all the games play

Euphoria is the latest if I remember correctly... Don't get your hopes up for a "good" SNES emulator though, there isn't for the PSP. Believe it or not, the SNES is a pretty hard to emulate system, especially when you take in any of it's add-on chips into consideration.

linkboy

I'm actually using Euphoria r2 on my 3k with 6.60 Pro C and I have no problems with it. It's running everything I throw at it well (frameskip options and all that).

There's really not much of a difference in SNES emulators. They've pretty much been maxed out.

edit
Scratch that, its R5.

apesh1t

Banned
I've had problems with ISO/CSo files not working, they may be corrupt. Try multiple files and see if anything comes up. You shouldn't have to configure anything, espeically if you have the correct iso file.

Love PSP CFW, so many great things about it. I also love keeping my games in one Memory Card since I'm afraid of UMDs ;_;
I was amazed at how good the GBA emulator ran, so I guess I''m gonna play FE on a better screen than on the GBA one : D

What else can you do with this stuff besides run Emulators and Isos?

linkboy

Love PSP CFW, so many great things about it. I also love keeping my games in one Memory Card since I'm afraid of UMDs ;_;
I was amazed at how good the GBA emulator ran, so I guess I''m gonna play FE on a better screen than on the GBA one : D

What else can you do with this stuff besides run Emulators and Isos?

My biggest reason popping a CFW onto my PSP was the PS1 support. I love the fact that I can (mostly) play my entire PS1 collection anywhere in the world. Like right now, I'm deployed to Afghanistan and yet my PS1 collection is right here with me (and the discs are safe and sound back home).

My biggest reason popping a CFW onto my PSP was the PS1 support. I love the fact that I can (mostly) play my entire PS1 collection anywhere in the world. Like right now, I'm deployed to Afghanistan and yet my PS1 collection is right here with me (and the discs are safe and sound back home).

So then the PSP is capable of running PS1 games off emulators? That's really something...
It's a shame that I can't fit that much stuff into my Memory Stick anymore ) : I'll make some space and try to play some N64.

linkboy

So then the PSP is capable of running PS1 games off emulators? That's really something...
It's a shame that I can't fit that much stuff into my Memory Stick anymore ) : I'll make some space and try to play some N64.

Don't even bother with the N64, its never going to fully emulate it (Mario 64 maybe).

As for the PS1, its using the official emulator that Sony developed for the PS1 games that are sold via PSN.

There walkthrough's on the web to show you how to convert your own games over. It looks complicated, but once you get the hang of it, its not that hard. I've currently got the following games installed on my PSP

Alundra (PSN)
Symphony of the Night (PSN)
Chrono Cross (PSN)
Dragon Warrior 7 (User created)
Final Fantasy 7 (PSN)
Final Fantasy 8 (PSN)
Final Fantasy 9 (PSN)
Grandia (PSN)
Legend of Dragoon (PSN)
Legend of Legaia (User Created)
Legend of Mana (PSN)
Lunar (User Created)
Lunar 2 (User Created)
Mega Man 8 (UC)
Mega Man X4 (UC)
Mega Man X5 (UC)
Mega Man X6 (UC)
Metal Gear Solid (PSN)
Parasite Eve (UC)
Parasite Eve 2 (UC)
Resident Evil (UC)
Resident Evil 2 (UC)
Resident Evil 3 (UC)
Suikoden (PSN)
Suikoden II (UC)
Tales of Destiny (UC)
Vagrant Story (UC)
Wild Arms (UC)
Wild Arms 2 (UC)
Xenogears (PSN)

The PS1 emulator, for the most part, is rock solid. There's some issues with certain games, but they're minor. All of the games I have listed above run great on my PSP. I'm currently playing FF7 and I'm at the 3rd disc, just finishing somethings up before I go after Sephiroth.

As for memory cards, look into getting the MS Pro Duo adapter that takes Micro SD cards. They're much, much cheaper than actual Pro Duo cards and work just as well.

Amazon has a 32GB card for $25, a regular 32GB Memory Stick Pro Duo is $54.

Don't even bother with the N64, its never going to fully emulate it (Mario 64 maybe).

As for the PS1, its using the official emulator that Sony developed for the PS1 games that are sold via PSN.

There walkthrough's on the web to show you how to convert your own games over. It looks complicated, but once you get the hang of it, its not that hard. I've currently got the following games installed on my PSP

Alundra (PSN)
Symphony of the Night (PSN)
Chrono Cross (PSN)
Dragon Warrior 7 (User created)
Final Fantasy 7 (PSN)
Final Fantasy 8 (PSN)
Final Fantasy 9 (PSN)
Grandia (PSN)
Legend of Dragoon (PSN)
Legend of Legaia (User Created)
Legend of Mana (PSN)
Lunar (User Created)
Lunar 2 (User Created)
Mega Man 8 (UC)
Mega Man X4 (UC)
Mega Man X5 (UC)
Mega Man X6 (UC)
Metal Gear Solid (PSN)
Parasite Eve (UC)
Parasite Eve 2 (UC)
Resident Evil (UC)
Resident Evil 2 (UC)
Resident Evil 3 (UC)
Suikoden (PSN)
Suikoden II (UC)
Tales of Destiny (UC)
Vagrant Story (UC)
Wild Arms (UC)
Wild Arms 2 (UC)
Xenogears (PSN)

The PS1 emulator, for the most part, is rock solid. There's some issues with certain games, but they're minor. All of the games I have listed above run great on my PSP. I'm currently playing FF7 and I'm at the 3rd disc, just finishing somethings up before I go after Sephiroth.

As for memory cards, look into getting the MS Pro Duo adapter that takes Micro SD cards. They're much, much cheaper than actual Pro Duo cards and work just as well.

Amazon has a 32GB card for $25, a regular 32GB Memory Stick Pro Duo is $54.

No way, these games run good? I guess it's time to have some fun!
Also, shame about the 64 emulation : ( But also huge thanks for that link, it's on my wishlist now, will get when possible.

linkboy

No way, these games run good? I guess it's time to have some fun!
Also, shame about the 64 emulation : ( But also huge thanks for that link, it's on my wishlist now, will get when possible.

Some custom made games have issues (I haven't ran into any with mine) like slowdown or they'll freeze, it just depends on the game.

All of the PSN games run perfectly fine.

The biggest problem with some games is the mapping of the controls since the PSP doesn't have L2/R2/

I'm having trouble ripping my PS1 games. I used imgburn to rip all 3 disks of FF7 and then used RS-GUI Popstation to create the eboot. I chose 3 disks, picked the 3 .bin files created from the disks and then chose the NTSCU version of FF7 and it keeps telling me it failed to create an eboot. Does anyone know why it's not making the eboot?

Is there any way to install custom firmware on my PSP 2000? It'd be nice if I could finally ditch my phat and have all of my stuff loaded on to the 2000. Or is the CFW for 2000 and up limited for the number of working homebrew programs?

Is there any way to install custom firmware on my PSP 2000? It'd be nice if I could finally ditch my phat and have all of my stuff loaded on to the 2000. Or is the CFW for 2000 and up limited for the number of working homebrew programs?

I don't know if everything was ported but most was. What do you have on it now?

Err what? PSP2000 is the ideal machine, especially the earlier motherboard ones since you can fully install CFW on them and they have the additional RAM over the 1000 models. Later 2000 models and everything afterward are limited to "temporary" custom firmware that lasts until you completely power down your PSP.

http://www.wololo.net

Don't even need to exploit anything because the PSP public key was exploited, just go to downloads, pick your firmware, put it on the card, and install like any other program.

I don't know if everything was ported but most was. What do you have on it now?

6.60 PRO-B10

Err what? PSP2000 is the ideal machine, especially the earlier motherboard ones since you can fully install CFW on them and they have the additional RAM over the 1000 models. Later 2000 models and everything afterward are limited to "temporary" custom firmware that lasts until you completely power down your PSP.

http://www.wololo.net

Don't even need to exploit anything because the PSP public key was exploited, just go to downloads, pick your firmware, put it on the card, and install like any other program.

Last year I installed 6.60 PRO-B10 on the 2000 and couldn't get anything to run on it. I've been out of the loop since then, will check out that URL.

Still not working. Installed 6.60 Pro-C, installed without a hitch but when I tried opening Nester got the typical "The game could not be started (8002014C)" Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

edit:

No, I mean what programs are you running that you're afraid they won't work.

Emulators like Nester, SNESTYL, ect

OK, so after digging on some other forums it basically looks like 1.50 games/programs (like Nester, ect) won't run on Pro C and I'd need to install 6.60 ME?

What video formats are possible on a PSP 2000?
I bought a used one a few months ago, so it came with that latest CFW that was out a few months ago. Sorry I don't have the PSP with my at the moment, so I can't check.

I want to see if I can watch anime or Japanese drama on my PSP.

Also, where would I put the files?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Crap, what am I doing wrong? I don't understand how the CFW itself installs with no issues but then homebrew won't boot. It's actually a blue slim Madden 2001 model if that matters.

I'm not exactly the utmost authority on this stuff (far from it) so this could be way off, but I think for stuff that requires 1.5 should be installed in PSP/GAME150. If you're already doing that I guess it's not really any help.

I redownloaded my emulators and they work now, whoo! I can finally sell or trade off my phat.

I'm not exactly the utmost authority on this stuff (far from it) so this could be way off, but I think for stuff that requires 1.5 should be installed in PSP/GAME150. If you're already doing that I guess it's not really any help.

After redownloading I put the emulators in the standard "Game" folder, which works fine. GAME150 folder doesn't work anymore, go figure.

neoxdonut

What video formats are possible on a PSP 2000?
I bought a used one a few months ago, so it came with that latest CFW that was out a few months ago. Sorry I don't have the PSP with my at the moment, so I can't check.

I want to see if I can watch anime or Japanese drama on my PSP.

Also, where would I put the files?

I think all PSP can only play MP4 and AVI formats.

Hey guys I'm want to get some of my PS1 isos to run on my PSP, but I'm a little overwhelmed with the information that I've been reading.

I have a PSP 2000 with firmware 6.20 PRO-B9.

What emulator or plugin do I need to use?
POPSLoader?

Thank you.

What 32GB memory stick advice do folks have? Is there a notable difference between brands? These things are ridiculously expensive...like, a 32GB Sony memory stick should not be as expensive as the PSP is right now.

Cheerilee

What 32GB memory stick advice do folks have? Is there a notable difference between brands? These things are ridiculously expensive...like, a 32GB Sony memory stick should not be as expensive as the PSP is right now.

Get a microSDHC to Memory Stick Pro Duo adapter (assuming you have a regular PSP, not a PSP Go) from Deal Extreme.

http://dx.com/p/dual-micro-sd-tf-to-ms-card-adapter-white-16gb-max-42929
http://dx.com/p/dual-micro-sd-tf-to-ms-card-adapter-black-16gb-max-42928

Ignore that it says 16GB max. They support in excess of 32GB (although your PSP doesn't).

Load an adapter with either a 32GB microSDHC card, or two 16GB microSDHC cards, whichever way works for you. Two smaller cards might be found for a buck or two cheaper, but one larger card might be more useful at some unknown point in the future (for instance, many current smartphones can be upgraded with 32GB of microSDHC storage). I would suggest a single 32GB card.

Better brands usually offer better performance and reliability, but you should Google the speed rating of cards just to be sure. MicroSD's "Class 10" is faster than anything Memory Stick Pro Duo ever offered, but some brands lie about reaching that speed, and it only measures the "write" speed, not the "read" speed, and some variant cards focus on heavy write speed and cheap out on the read speed, because they intend the card to be used in a digital camera or things like that where writing is the most important job. If you CFW your PSP and play ripped ISOs, then faster reading speed means quicker loading times. So just try to get a decent brand of 32GB Class 10, with no obvious reported shortcomings.

linkboy

Hey guys I'm want to get some of my PS1 isos to run on my PSP, but I'm a little overwhelmed with the information that I've been reading.

I have a PSP 2000 with firmware 6.20 PRO-B9.

What emulator or plugin do I need to use?
POPSLoader?

Thank you.

All POPSLoader does is load earlier versions of the PS1 emulator since some games work better with specific versions.

I use 6.60 Pro C and all of my PS1 games are working great.

The emulator is already built into the PSP's firmware, so all you need to do is just convert the games over (I recommend PSX2PSP) and you're good to go.

I'm confused about what's the best MicroSD to get for my PSP.
At the moment, I have a ProDuo adapter, so I can use any two MicroSD card with the adapter and it will be compatible with the PSP.

I'm interested in a 16 GB card. I was told to get something class 10 and Sandisk.
I found 32GB class 10 cards, but maybe due to a slight oversight on my part, I couldn't find any 16GB Sandisk, class 10 cards when I checked on Amazon.

Anyway what are you recommendations for MicroSD cards for the PSP.

Cheerilee

It doesn't need to be Sandisk, it just needs to be a quality brand (and Sandisk is a quality brand).

AFAIK, Newegg.com is a good place for Americans to buy computer parts (I'm Canadian). Here's all of their class 10 microSDHC's, in both 16 and 32 GB.

16GB
32GB

I have a single 32GB Patriot LX in my PSP and I like it, but it's up to you. 16GB Sandisk is also available in those links.

It doesn't need to be Sandisk, it just needs to be a quality brand (and Sandisk is a quality brand).

AFAIK, Newegg.com is a good place for Americans to buy computer parts (I'm Canadian). Here's all of their class 10 microSDHC's, in both 16 and 32 GB.

16GB
32GB

I have a single 32GB Patriot LX in my PSP and I like it, but it's up to you. 16GB Sandisk is also available in those links.

Ahh, thank you so much. This helps a lot.

dab0ne

16GB
32GB

Ok, I've been out of this scene for a little while but I'm currently running 5.50 m33-5 (or whatever m33 it is). I was wondering if my PSP will recognize the 32gb card or do I need to upgrade my firmware? thanks.

Cheerilee

Ok, I've been out of this scene for a little while but I'm currently running 5.50 m33-5 (or whatever m33 it is). I was wondering if my PSP will recognize the 32gb card or do I need to upgrade my firmware? thanks.

I think your PSP will recognize 32GB. 32GB is the maximum size limit in the specs for Memory Stick Pro Duo. It should have been there when the standard was finalized, and not something that Sony supported later with a firmware update.

Basically, you put the 32GB MicroSDHC into a MicroSD to Memory Stick Pro Duo adapter, and then you use your PSP to "format" the stick, and then it looks normal to a PSP.

dab0ne

I think your PSP will recognize 32GB. 32GB is the maximum size limit in the specs for Memory Stick Pro Duo. It should have been there when the standard was finalized, and not something that Sony supported later with a firmware update.

Basically, you put the 32GB MicroSDHC into a MicroSD to Memory Stick Pro Duo adapter, and then you use your PSP to "format" the stick, and then it looks normal to a PSP.

ok cool thanks for the info.

Edit: Heard the 32 GB loses a lot of space in the format process. Does anyone know how much?

Hope someone can help with this.

I installed 6.60ME on my PSP1000 a while back but hadn't tried my snes emu up until yesterday. But it doesn't work for some reason.

I was using snes9xtyl++beta which was a custom one updated by someone called Ruka. I have added the leda.prx file to the seplugins folder and also edited the Game.txt file as necessary.

But when I try and run the snes emu I get a black screen. No error messages or anything, it just goes black. I have gone into the recovery menu and enabled leda.prx and I'm not sure what else to do.

One thing to note is that the emu didn't require the separate % folder which older 1.50 apps seemed to need, and I'm not sure if that is a factor or not in why it won't run.

I want to get it running, because after trying the snes emu written for ME firmware, it isn't nearly as fast as the older emu's that ran on the 1.50 kernel. Thanks for any help.

All POPSLoader does is load earlier versions of the PS1 emulator since some games work better with specific versions.

I use 6.60 Pro C and all of my PS1 games are working great.

The emulator is already built into the PSP's firmware, so all you need to do is just convert the games over (I recommend PSX2PSP) and you're good to go.

Sorry for the late reply as I missed this, but thank you so much for the info.
I will give it a go, hopefully I will run into any problems.

Where should I put the PSX game after the conversion?

YoungOne

I'm having a problem in using RemoteJoyLite. When I start the program it shows the xmb menu just fine but when I click to run the game the psp screen turns black and it shuts off.
Running 6.60 ME and RemoteJoyLite v0.19.

54-46!

Edit:

I'm trying to find a PARAM.SFO editor, there seem to be a lot of .exe packages (where it's lumped together with a bunch of other software) here and there but I'm looking for a small zip or something.. I generally don't like launching/installing "shady" stuff unless I can extract it from a simple archive.

TheNatural

My Member!
I might get a PSP Tuesday, since they're basically getting discontinued at $99.

It's a core 3000 system. I've read a few things about CFW, mainly that it's likely to be a system that can only do the 'temporary' method of homebrew because its probably going to come with too high of a firmware version to have a 'permanent' flash.

That's fine with me, a couple seconds boot each time doesn't bug me. But will it do the same thing emulator wise that any other older model will do? Thanks.

neoxdonut

It's a core 3000 system. I've read a few things about CFW, mainly that it's likely to be a system that can only do the 'temporary' method of homebrew because its probably going to come with too high of a firmware version to have a 'permanent' flash.

That's fine with me, a couple seconds boot each time doesn't bug me. But will it do the same thing emulator wise that any other older model will do? Thanks.
a PSP-3000 will play emulators just fine.

You don't even need to boot it if you just keep your PSP in sleep mode like everyone should :3. It will consume ridiculously little power so it won't even be a problem for the battery.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
So... I checked the OP, but maybe I missed it: how do you restore a CFW PSP to official firmware? I have a 1000 phat with Prometheus 5.50. I downloaded the 6x OFW, but it thinks system version is 9.90.

I need to give the PSP to a friend who wants OFW.

Edit: nevermind, I figured out how to get into VSH and edit the firmware number.

Got allergies this morning, the brain is slow.

web01

Does anyone know about pro due to micro sd card adapters?
What minimum specs do I need to buy to make sure I don't have any loading problems and so on.

edit: should have looked up.

Top Bottom