• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Custom Firmware Thread

Damn i got one of those photofast adapters and now most of my saves are corrupted and I cant seem to fix them.

Just a remainder to everyone to back those things up.

Narolf

Banned
E. Emulation/Piracy

The topics of emulation and piracy, including the technical nature of emulators and ROM images, hardware modification technology, as well as their effect on the industry as a political topic are deemed to be generally acceptable.

Linking to pirate download sites, directions on how to get pirated software to work, reviews or impressions of pirated software will all result in the banning of the user in question.

It's all about figuring the difference between modding and piracy.

Just grabbed a PSP-3000 from Amazon with a 32GB storage solution.

I figured I'd ask in this thread since it's more related to CFW:

1) Is it safe to access the PSN via CFW 6.60? I figure since you can jump back to OFW so easily that it's smarter to use OFW 6.60 and then get on PSN. So could I theoretically get on PSN via OFW, buy and download a game to the PSP, then switch back to CFW and play it without issue? Is that logic correct?

2) I've got the Killzone PSP game and LBP saved on my PS3 back from the hacking incident when they gave out the free games. Will I be able to install those to the PSP and run them on CFW without issue? Could I back them up to my SD card?

3) How difficult is it to remove games from the memory card? If at some point I happen to fill the thing up, can I delete a game from it while keeping or backing up my save data?

Thanks in advance, I'm going to peruse the thread some more.

Nekobo

Just grabbed a PSP-3000 from Amazon with a 32GB storage solution.

I figured I'd ask in this thread since it's more related to CFW:

1) Is it safe to access the PSN via CFW 6.60? I figure since you can jump back to OFW so easily that it's smarter to use OFW 6.60 and then get on PSN. So could I theoretically get on PSN via OFW, buy and download a game to the PSP, then switch back to CFW and play it without issue? Is that logic correct?

2) I've got the Killzone PSP game and LBP saved on my PS3 back from the hacking incident when they gave out the free games. Will I be able to install those to the PSP and run them on CFW without issue? Could I back them up to my SD card?

3) How difficult is it to remove games from the memory card? If at some point I happen to fill the thing up, can I delete a game from it while keeping or backing up my save data?

Thanks in advance, I'm going to peruse the thread some more.

1) Yep. I've been using CFW 6.60 for the past year and had no issues at all. I've had no problems playing games I've downloaded while on CFW. No problems playing those same titles when I switched back to OFW. It's safe to say that Sony doesn't care about the PSP security anymore.

2) Yep, again, no issues with CFW. You just need to activate your PSP on your PS3 in order to do the transfer via USB. You can also just directly download those games off PSN from your PSP. They'll be listed in your download history. You can back up those games on your computer via USB (they'll be housed in the GAME folder). You can even directly download those games onto your computer from www.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/ and transfer them to your PSP.

3) It's easy. Just go to the game and press Triangle to get the option to Delete. Your save data will remain on your memory stick. You can back that up by going to the save file in Saved Data Utilities and press Triangle to get the Copy option. You can back up your saves on a PS3 or computer.

1) Yep. I've been using CFW 6.60 for the past year and had no issues at all. I've had no problems playing games I've downloaded while on CFW. No problems playing those same titles when I switched back to OFW. It's safe to say that Sony doesn't care about the PSP security anymore.

2) Yep, again, no issues with CFW. You just need to activate your PSP on your PS3 in order to do the transfer via USB. You can also just directly download those games off PSN from your PSP. They'll be listed in your download history. You can back up those games on your computer via USB (they'll be housed in the GAME folder). You can even directly download those games onto your computer from www.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/ and transfer them to your PSP.

3) It's easy. Just go to the game and press Triangle to get the option to Delete. Your save data will remain on your memory stick. You can back that up by going to the save file in Saved Data Utilities and press Triangle to get the Copy option. You can back up your saves on a PS3 or computer.

Perfect! Thanks a lot for the detailed responses.

VXLbeast

I have a Vita now. Should I go ahead and put some CFW on my PSP 3000? Might be fun for the heck of it. WHat kind of emulators are there for it? If I could carry it around and play edit: some older games, that would be amazing.

linkboy

I have a Vita now. Should I go ahead and put some CFW on my PSP 3000? Might be fun for the heck of it. WHat kind of emulators are there for it? If I could carry it around and play edit: some older games, that would be amazing.

NES is perfect

SNES is far from perfect, but playable after messing with some settings

Genesis/SEGA CD is perfect

All the Gameboy's (GB to GBA) are perfect

Master System/Game Gear is perfect

PS1 is 99.9 perfect (some issues with non PSN games, but for the most part, everything works.

Since CFW on the 3000 is a soft mod only (if you're running 6.60), there's really no reason not to put a CFW on it.

DonMigs85

Genesis/Sega CD (mostly the latter) aren't quite perfect, some of the games can still lag or drop frames. Same goes for some of the GBA games that really pushed the system. Still much better than SNES though.

Narolf

Banned
SNES is far from perfect, but playable after messing with some settings.

Yeah, tried to play Earthbound back in 2009: sound had hiccups and game crashed at random. Mother 3 worked just fine tho, the emulator even had my inputs right on the spot for battles.

RiverBed

Banned
I have a PSP 1000 model. I've been out of the PSP CFW loop for a little over two years now. What is the latest stable CFW for that model?

Thanks.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
That's the way to go, indeed.

Crash Bandicoot doesn't have compatibility issues. All you have to do is placing the ISO's folder into the GAME folder of your memory stick.

Is there a trick to getting Persona 2 EP to work properly? It plays, but has extreme slowdown at times. I tried re-ripping my PS1 cd a few times but no difference, also my CD is the NTSC version.

B.K.

Is there a trick to getting Persona 2 EP to work properly? It plays, but has extreme slowdown at times. I tried re-ripping my PS1 cd a few times but no difference, also my CD is the NTSC version.

Just buy the PSN version. Games that have a lot of issues when converted are worth just putting down the money and buying the official release.

Accoun

Same goes for some of the GBA games that really pushed the system.

Like? Don't really know, but hopefully you mean those 3d ones, like the Asterix game or Sega Rally Championship (I think that was the one). I'm thinking of replaying the GBA Castlevania series under the influence of one of the threads here.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Just buy the PSN version. Games that have a lot of issues when converted are worth just putting down the money and buying the official release.

Eh, I already have an official release, it would just be nice to play on the psp. I'll try some fixes but if it doesn't work I can just play it on my ps3.

5.00m33-3 with GameID SLPS-02100 Creat ISO with UltraISO and eboot.pbp with RS-GUI Popstation MD 3.00. Then run game with Popsloader 5.00 and with 3.71pop and everything will be OK.

From what I can tell, pops3.71 won't work on a pspgo, which is what I have.

DonMigs85

Like? Don't really know, but hopefully you mean those 3d ones, like the Asterix game or Sega Rally Championship (I think that was the one). I'm thinking of replaying the GBA Castlevania series under the influence of one of the threads here.

Yes and also those GT Advance games. The plain 2D games mostly run fine.

Narolf

Banned
From what I can tell, pops3.71 won't work on a pspgo, which is what I have.

What you want to do is running that pops using the pops-loader; you won't run it directly by downgrading to 3.71. Check out the OP for details on how to install it, everything is there.

Salsa

so ive been on 5.50 Prometheus for a long time and just now I picked up my PSP again

tell me if/why I should upgrade

Salsa

I guess im playing older games because I havent had any issue yet

if there's no framerate/loading times improvement or something weird like that, im too lazy to bother :p

TheCactusman

Neo Member
If I want to install 6.60 ME 1.8 and I already have 6.60 PRO-B10 installed, do I need to remove PRO-B10 first or can I just go ahead and install ME 1.8 over it?

TheCactusman

Neo Member
I think there was a serious problem with 6.60 PRO-B10. Now that I've installed ME 1.8, I haven't had it freeze once so far. When I had PRO-B10 installed, it froze/crashed every few minutes.

TheCactusman

Neo Member
Now that I've had time to use it, I still seem to have seemingly random crashes. They only seem to happen when I press several buttons at once, and randomly even then, which is odd.

Narolf

Banned
Must be a hardware issue then. Unscrew it and clean it out from the inside. That's what I always do to keep it as fresh as day one.

Jazzem

So I'm interested in trying out the temporary CFW on my 6.60 PSP 3000...is there anything I need to be careful of in regards to it interfering with my official game purchases, either from UMDs or as PSN downloads?

I don't want to get banned from the PSN :p I still want to be able to buy things from the store, as well as continuing to use Media Go.

EDIT: Also, if I want to swap between accounts more efficiently (got quite a few US PS1 games via a second account), I should use 'PSN License Manager'? Excuse my newb-ness, am very new to this :p

Narolf

Banned
You won't get banned from the PSN, that only goes for PS3s. You would have had to worry about not messing with your MAC address in the event you had a 1000 or a 2000.

Never got to use that myself but yes.

B.K.

Does anyone know if there's a way to remove the DRM from PSOne Classics, like you can rip ISOs from downloaded Eboots? I've bought a few PS1 games and I want to take out the DRM, if I can and back them up.

So I'm interested in trying out the temporary CFW on my 6.60 PSP 3000...is there anything I need to be careful of in regards to it interfering with my official game purchases, either from UMDs or as PSN downloads?

I don't want to get banned from the PSN :p I still want to be able to buy things from the store, as well as continuing to use Media Go.

EDIT: Also, if I want to swap between accounts more efficiently (got quite a few US PS1 games via a second account), I should use 'PSN License Manager'? Excuse my newb-ness, am very new to this :p

You can revert to OFW 6.60 by turning off the PSP. As others have said, Sony doesn't really seem to give a shit anymore about anything PSP Related so you could probably get on PSN without issues. I've done it on mine so far without problems.

I converted my UMDs to ISOs so I can't speak to the other question.

I somehow ended up finding a PSP emulator for the Android through that QJ link (a site I haven't visited in years). I tried it and I'm surprised that it actually runs kinda OK. MHFU ran at full speed unless the graphics is glitchy inside quests and the guild hall.

Crisis Core can run at full speed though disabling buffered rendering lets me run at native resolution albeit lower FPS.
mnzJuS6.jpg

Jazzem

You won't get banned from the PSN, that only goes for PS3s. You would have had to worry about not messing with your MAC address in the event you had a 1000 or a 2000.

Never got to use that myself but yes.

You can revert to OFW 6.60 by turning off the PSP. As others have said, Sony doesn't really seem to give a shit anymore about anything PSP Related so you could probably get on PSN without issues. I've done it on mine so far without problems.

I converted my UMDs to ISOs so I can't speak to the other question.

Thanks guys, been having much fun playing Cave Story and emulators :D Shame the SNES one isn't too great but ah well.

Does anyone know if there's a way to remove the DRM from PSOne Classics, like you can rip ISOs from downloaded Eboots? I've bought a few PS1 games and I want to take out the DRM, if I can and back them up.

I'd be interested in knowing this as well!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I really don't have anywhere else to ask this, so here it goes.

Anybody know of a place (that ships internationally) where I can buy a replacement Battery for my PSP Slim, that's not eBay with it's shitty counterfeit 3 dollar battery packs that'll obviously not work at all and are not the reported capacity?

My original PSP Slim battery is lasting absolutely nothing. The PSP is beaten to hell and back: I replaced the screen once, but the screen I got has some burn-in marks (which I can totally live with), the on/off button is kinda not working properly (it's easier to turn off the system through the VSH menu) and the plastic screen is scratched.

In other words, I don't want to spend 60 dollar on anofficial battery pack, but a 3 dollar one from eBay can't be my best option either.

Anybody has any good leads? Since I'm buying a new battery pack, one of the extended ones would be a better option.

Edit: Also, I'm a little confused on PSP batteries. There seems to be three models: 1200mah (for the slim), 2400mah (also for the slim, but bigger, thus, it comes with a different battery cover) and 3600 mah (that's for Version 1 PSP? Does it have a different cover from the 2400mah? does it work on the PSP Slim?). Could anybody clarify?

Truespeed

I really don't have anywhere else to ask this, so here it goes.

Anybody know of a place (that ships internationally) where I can buy a replacement Battery for my PSP Slim, that's not eBay with it's shitty counterfeit 3 dollar battery packs that'll obviously not work at all and are not the reported capacity?

My original PSP Slim battery is lasting absolutely nothing. The PSP is beaten to hell and back: I replaced the screen once, but the screen I got has some burn-in marks (which I can totally live with), the on/off button is kinda not working properly (it's easier to turn off the system through the VSH menu) and the plastic screen is scratched.

In other words, I don't want to spend 60 dollar on anofficial battery pack, but a 3 dollar one from eBay can't be my best option either.

Anybody has any good leads? Since I'm buying a new battery pack, one of the extended ones would be a better option.

Edit: Also, I'm a little confused on PSP batteries. There seems to be three models: 1200mah (for the slim), 2400mah (also for the slim, but bigger, thus, it comes with a different battery cover) and 3600 mah (that's for Version 1 PSP? Does it have a different cover from the 2400mah? does it work on the PSP Slim?). Could anybody clarify?

Here's a 1800mAh one from focalprice for $6.86.

http://www.focalprice.com/GS104B/1800mAh_Battery_for_PSP.html#.UVe6jpPdzQc

58 reviews and a 4.5 rating so it seems to be good.

Top Bottom