• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Custom Firmware Thread

JEKKI

feeling depressed; this finally happened:

2ZBFDK4.jpg

I guess it got banged up while carrying it in my luggage during a recent trip.

I'm posting it here coz I've kept up with custom firmware since I first bought the phat PSP, when you actually had to swap out the memory stick within a short time frame.

immediately bought the slim when its homebrew capabilities were unlocked, did the whole pandora battery thing, and have been keeping up with updates whenever a new game came out that I was unable to play on my current cfw setup.

I don't even know how I would begin the process all over again if I am to get a replacement system. I've read a few tutorials and it seems quite easy, but I feel like it's not the same.

this is my system, my favorite console this gen, and I've feel like the mods I've made to it truly make it mine, thus I feel like the thing is irreplaceable and therefore am feeling quite sad at the moment.

2ZBFDK4.jpg

I'm posting it here coz I've kept up with custom firmware since I first bought the phat PSP, when you actually had to swap out the memory stick within a short time frame.

immediately bought the slim when its homebrew capabilities were unlocked, did the whole pandora battery thing, and have been keeping up with updates whenever a new game came out that I was unable to play on my current cfw setup.

I don't even know how I would begin the process all over again if I am to get a replacement system. I've read a few tutorials and it seems quite easy, but I feel like it's not the same.

this is my system, my favorite console this gen, and I've feel like the mods I've made to it truly make it mine, thus I feel like the thing is irreplaceable and therefore am feeling quite sad at the moment.

Step 1: Download the latest Custom firmware installer.

Step 2: Run from PSP game menu

Step 3: Done. :)

Alternatively...

Step 4: If the new one you get has an older board (original PSP 1000 or 2000) you can run an additional setup which makes the custom firmware permanent. Otherwise you have to re-run the installer upon FULL reboot (stays through sleep mode and game change)

cj_iwakura

2ZBFDK4.jpg

I hope you keep that awesome strap at least.

JEKKI

Step 1: Download the latest Custom firmware installer.

Step 2: Run from PSP game menu

Step 3: Done. :)

It takes literally five minutes and about three steps. Get yourself a PSP Go and experience a whole new realm of PSP CFW bliss. :)
like I said, I have read the steps and I know getting another PSP and CFW'ing it wont be a problem.

it's jus my history with this system in particular, a new one won't feel the same =/

and no PSP Go... I still run everything off umd lol

You can the replace the screen for like 50 bucks, but at that point you can buy a 3000 for $100.
thought about that, problem is I've stripped the screws on my system already trying to make cosmetic changes -_-

and I kno if I do get a new system I'll be attempting to make said changes again lol

and no PSP Go... I still run everything off umd lol

Do exactly what I did: use your 2000 as a disc-ripping device and copy all your ISOs to the Go. The immediate upgrade to the new hotness will immediately whisk away all your doubts and fears, and in its new job your old companion will still live a useful, productive life of relative ease and relaxation, like an old racing stallion that's been put out to stud.

JEKKI

but how would you use your 2000 as a disc ripper if you can't see the screen?

don't you still need to go into menus and select options and stuff in order to do that?

or is it done via computer with your system plugged into it?

Accoun

don't you still need to go into menus and select options and stuff in order to do that?

Basically in newer CFW you can set that after connecting to USB it will read the UMD instead of memory card (press Select, 2x down, left, Select).
It acts now like a CD drive, but with UMD. The CFW also makes the system see what's on the UMD as an ISO file that you just copy where you want.
That's all, folks. :3

Oh, is the screen completely unusable? That makes it a bit more difficult, but you should still be able to do it. Look for video or screenshots of the VSH menu, then follow the necessary steps to open it and set usb mode to "UMD Disc." Then just plug it into your PC and you can drag the ISO onto your hard drive.

EDIT: See above for the button sequence, lol.

Cheerilee

When you normally connect your PSP to the computer, it shows the PSP's memory stick as a removable storage device. CFW can change your PSP so that it offers up it's UMD drive as a (write protected) removable storage device. Once you do that, you can just lift ISOs off of your PSP and drop them on your computer.

But yes, to make that switch you're going to have to do it blind. You're going to have to know exactly which CFW you have installed on your broken PSP, and then devise a foolproof way of clicking into that mode without looking.

On my PSP (pro 660), that would be...

-launch the soft-CFW
-press select
-press down twice
-press left
-press select

Done.

Edit: Beaten

Edit2: Don't try this unless you know it works on your CFW, because otherwise you might change something important and have a tricky time changing it back.

I have a PSP 1000 now, Any MAJOR reasons to upgrade?

Rocking the PSP 1000 (original Japanese model) and a Vita at the moment

Well, if you want a better PSP then sure. I guess it depends if you have spare money to invest in a better PSP. If you play a lot on it then I would definately suggest getting 3000/Street or GO.

The MAJOR reason is pretty much better screen.

Storm360

Well, if you want a better PSP then sure. I guess it depends if you have spare money to invest in a better PSP. If you play a lot on it then I would definately suggest getting 3000/Street or GO.

The MAJOR reason is pretty much better screen.

Is the Screen the only improvement? how is the storage on the GO?

Was mainly hoping for the frame rates being slightly better

54-46!

I don't like the Piano black finish on my PSP, thinking about applying some Mr Hobby Top Coat to get a matte finish, good idea y/n?

Accoun

Maybe stupid question, but:
I have 6.20 CFW with pseudo-permapatch. For those who don't know, it's basically the patcher on autostart. The question is, can I try to run 6.60 CFW on top of it, so I would boot from one CFW to another and still have the 6.20 after hard reset?

I suppose not, one CFW would probably interfere with another (both PRO of course), but it doesn't hurt to ask...

ChanHuk

Banned
Just got my 32GB microSD/memory stick thing. Ripping all my PSP games onto it. Trying to track down Tactics Ogre, I do have the PSX versioin that I could rip and play.

B.K.

Just got my 32GB microSD/memory stick thing. Ripping all my PSP games onto it. Trying to track down Tactics Ogre, I do have the PSX versioin that I could rip and play.

I've still got probably 15 or 20 PSP games I need to rip and a couple dozen PS1 games to convert. I've got 32GB, but that's not enough for me. I'm waiting for a good Amazon sale to get two 64GB cards to make 128GB.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The system supports more than 32 gigs? That old firmware update to support more than 4 gigs removed the limit past the last memorystick duos released?

B.K.

The system supports more than 32 gigs? That old firmware update to support more than 4 gigs removed the limit past the last memorystick duos released?

Yeah. The only thing limiting the storage space you can have right now is the memory card limit. Right now, 64GB is the highest you can get in micro SD. With a Photofast and two 64GB cards, you can make a 128GB card. The only thing is that you have to format the card on your PC. If you format it in a PSP, it won't recognize it. I've got a Photofast right now with a 32GB and 16GB card because I wanted to see if it would work. I formatted it on my PC and ended up with a 44GB card.

Cheerilee

Yeah. The only thing limiting the storage space you can have right now is the memory card limit. Right now, 64GB is the highest you can get in micro SD. With a Photofast and two 64GB cards, you can make a 128GB card. The only thing is that you have to format the card on your PC. If you format it in a PSP, it won't recognize it. I've got a Photofast right now with a 32GB and 16GB card because I wanted to see if it would work. I formatted it on my PC and ended up with a 44GB card.

When I was setting up my memory stick (32GB microSD in a photofast adapter), I thought I had read that some official PSP software can react badly to the presence of more than 32GB in the memory stick slot, because 32GB was the known limit on the official Memory Stick specs while all of the PSP's software was being written.

Even if you only load your PSP with 28GB of content, some program might see that and observe that you have 28GB of content, and 100GB worth of empty space Error error error! Does not compute! Does not compute! Please help!

And it's a good idea not to give your programs heart attacks.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

But wasn't the thing with PhotoFast that you had to format it on your PSP, otherwise it wouldn't be properly recognized? I haven't touched mine in ages, but I remember that the PSP was acting weird when I formatted the card on the PC...

Even if you only load your PSP with 28GB of content, some program might see that and observe that you have 28GB of content, and 100GB worth of empty space Error error error! Does not compute! Does not compute! Please help!

And it's a good idea not to give your programs heart attacks.

It's also a good idea to have a shitload of storage space at hand. So Trial and Error I guess? :D

Just had a horrible experience with these photofast adapters, even though I can play games, they dont seem to be able to save.

I went to the saves section in the PSP and everything is corrupted :(, tried backing it up on a PC but nothing, all folders show up twice and they dont respond to copy paste.

Im using 2*16gb cards btw

Seems like formatting the card on my PC and loading everything works now but im not sure for how long.

Make sure you guys have everything backed up once in a while...

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Just had a horrible experience with these photofast adapters, even though I can play games, they dont seem to be able to save.

Make sure you have the original PhotoFast adapter, not the shitty cloned ones: http://forum.romulation.net/index.php?topic=33617.0

Make sure you're not changing firmware versions between saves. Sometimes, a save will be corrupt when you change from a specific firmware number to another (I forget which one is it). However, all your saves are still readable, they just need to be converted, which is done with a VHS Plugin (doesn't seem to be your case)

Check your SD Cards. If they're fake ones, they could be giving out with time/giving read/write errors.

I have a problem with my PSP that the reader is busted - I need to put a piece of paper to secure the PhotoFast (or MMC) in place so the PSP will detect it. I guess the contacts got bent or something. I did have a fake low quality MMC in it for the longest time, maybe that's what did it.

Those are all things to consider.

Vamphuntr

I have 2 questions for the thread :p . I have custom firmware PRO CFW 6.60, is there a screenshot plugin that works on that? I tried the one stump recommended in a thread linked in the OP and it's not working at all. Google is really not helpful on that at all since most sites seems to be awful bait click ads sites.

Is it also possible to remove the DRM from something you buy on the store. I want to buy something from the Japanese PSN but want to use it on my main account. I don't want to reset the account each time to switch region.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I have 2 questions for the thread :p . I have custom firmware PRO CFW 6.60, is there a screenshot plugin that works on that? I tried the one stump recommended in a thread linked in the OP and it's not working at all. Google is really not helpful on that at all since most sites seems to be awful bait click ads sites.

Is it also possible to remove the DRM from something you buy on the store. I want to buy something from the Japanese PSN but want to use it on my main account. I don't want to reset the account each time to switch region.

I've seen it mentioned that you can convert an EBOOT to an ISO file, which would remove the DRM, but I've never seen anyone actually mention how. All the tools I've found are just for converting homebrew stuff and not actual games bought from PSN.

Vamphuntr

Trying to make work prxshot under 6.60C and it simply refuses to. It's supposed to work according to forum posts on wololo but I cannot make it work at all. This is frustrating. I created the game.txt file and everything, rebooted the psp, reset the VSH and still nothing :mad:

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Trying to make work prxshot under 6.60C and it simply refuses to. It's supposed to work according to forum posts on wololo but I cannot make it work at all. This is frustrating. I created the game.txt file and everything, rebooted the psp, reset the VSH and still nothing :mad:

There's not much to do:

• You need the folder seplugins on the root of your memory stick.
  • You need prxshot.prx inside that folder (along with prxshot.ini i believe)
  • Inside that folder you'll need three files: GAME.TXT VSH.TXT and POPS.TXT, in which you'll list the plugins you want to run in said mode.
  • The plugin you want (in this case, prxshot.prx) has to be enabled on the mode you want to use it.

The PSP has three different "modes": VSH Mode (that's the main menu where you can select games, browse PSN, browse the web, listen to music), GAME mode (that's when you're playing a PSP game) and POPS mode (that's the emulator for Playstation games).

Inside seplugins you'll need to create 3 files that represent each of those modes: GAME.TXT VSH.TXT and POPS.TXT. Those files will tell the firmware which plugins to load in each mode.

So, for instance, if you load prxshot.prx on GAME.TXT with the line ms0:/SEPLUGINS/prxshot.prx 1 (1 meaning ON), you won't be able to take screenshots when emulating PSX games nor when browsing games/browsing the web on PSP's system menu: The plugin will only work when running PSP games.

Also, pay attention that if the plugin is enabled on one file but not on the other: for instance, on VSH.TXT but not enabled on GAME.TXT. In this case, the plugin will only work on PSP's system menu and not actually while in game. With those files, you can select which plugins are loaded at which "modes".

Also, make sure you have the newest version of prxshot.prx (seems to be 4.0 released in March 2011).

Took me a while to figure out this plugin thing, but it's quite easy once you get comfortable with it.

Vamphuntr

There's not much to do:

• You need the folder seplugins on the root of your memory stick.
  • You need prxshot.prx inside that folder (along with prxshot.ini i believe)
  • Inside that folder you'll need three files: GAME.TXT VSH.TXT and POPS.TXT, in which you'll list the plugins you want to run in said mode.
  • The plugin you want (in this case, prxshot.prx) has to be enabled on the mode you want to use it.

The PSP has three different "modes": VSH Mode (that's the main menu where you can select games, browse PSN, browse the web, listen to music), GAME mode (that's when you're playing a PSP game) and POPS mode (that's the emulator for Playstation games).

Inside seplugins you'll need to create 3 files that represent each of those modes: GAME.TXT VSH.TXT and POPS.TXT. Those files will tell the firmware which plugins to load in each mode.

So, for instance, if you load prxshot.prx on GAME.TXT with the line ms0:/SEPLUGINS/prxshot.prx 1 (1 meaning ON), you won't be able to take screenshots when emulating PSX games nor when browsing games/browsing the web on PSP's system menu: The plugin will only work when running PSP games.

Also, pay attention that if the plugin is enabled on one file but not on the other: for instance, on VSH.TXT but not enabled on GAME.TXT. In this case, the plugin will only work on PSP's system menu and not actually while in game. With those files, you can select which plugins are loaded at which "modes".

Also, make sure you have the newest version of prxshot.prx (seems to be 4.0 released in March 2011).

Took me a while to figure out this plugin thing, but it's quite easy once you get comfortable with it.

Yeah I read all that before trying to install it and did all that but it's not working. I can't find the plugin either in the recovery menu. I checked the config menu so that all 3 GAME, POPS and VSH plugins files are enabled too.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Yeah I read all that before trying to install it and did all that but it's not working. I can't find the plugin either in the recovery menu. I checked the config menu so that all 3 GAME, POPS and VSH plugins files are enabled too.

It's probably not being loaded then. Are you sure you pointed the file on the right path inside the text files?

I'm running 6.60 ME-1.8 and it works nicely here.

I really do wish they would sign the drivers for RemoteJoy Lite, because I can't be bothered to keep running my windows in non-signed drivers mode....

Vamphuntr

It's probably not being loaded then. Are you sure you pointed the file on the right path inside the text files?

I'm running 6.60 ME-1.8 and it works nicely here.

I really do wish they would sign the drivers for RemoteJoy Lite, because I can't be bothered to keep running my windows in non-signed drivers mode....

I think I have it right :S

In the root directory of the stick I have the SEPLUGINS folder. Inside that folder I extracted the content of prxshot folder (prxshot.prx, prxshot++.prx, prxshot.ini, default_icon0, xmb,sfo, font_recovery). I created GAME.txt., POPS.txt and VSH.txt and they all contain ms0:/SEPLUGINS/prxshot.prx 1

I'm afraid I may have bricked my PSP. I'm running 660PRO-C2 on a PSP2001. I was playing Crisis Core off of my memory stick, it froze, so I reset my psp. When I try to turn it on, all I get is a black screen for a couple of seconds and it turns itself off. Am I screwed?

B.K.

I'm having trouble with my Photofast. I bought two 64GB cards for it, but it never shows up ast 128GB. It always gives me 54.9GB. Has anyone else ever had that problem?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I'm having trouble with my Photofast. I bought two 64GB cards for it, but it never shows up ast 128GB. It always gives me 54.9GB. Has anyone else ever had that problem?

Are you formatting it on the PSP or on the PC?

I've always been told to format it on the PSP itself.

I never tried with that much storage though.

b3b0p

Does it play full speed? If not, I'd rather play on SNES hardware or PC emulator. Nothing worse and more annoying than jerky emulation.

B.K.

I've got the Photofast working. I bought a new one and it formatted to 118GB the first try. I guess it was just a bad adapter. I also downgraded to a 5.xx firmware. There's supposedly a bug in 6.xx firmwares when trying to format Photofasts.

eCFW on the PSP emulator in the PsVita is basically the same as CFW on PSP.
Have you ever seen how good Snes games look on dat OLED? Those colors really pop and thanks to bilinear filtering the image is very good.

You stretched the image to full screen, any hope I'd have on trusting your opinion on image quality is gone.

You stretched the image to full screen, any hope I'd have on trusting your opinion on image quality is gone.

Why?
Try it yourself. I'd say it looks as good as in HD running on an emulator on PC. Not quite as sharp but OLED bonus.

Another thing is that the color space option actually makes a difference on Snes games.
Here a comparison:
Left: Color Space off
Right Color Space on

Top Bottom