• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Custom Firmware Thread

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Let me know if your going to do one. I might have the time to do one tomorrow.
Been busy the last while, with people being let go and work load and all that stuff.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
If you want to update one of your tutorials for UPT/UPMS 5.0.2, please feel free. You've done great work.

I was going to "steal" yours as a template and update it on my own, but if that's not going to be necessary... :D

Either way, I'm still puttering away at a total redesign of this thread and OP, so I've definitely got things to do beyond another tutorial.

navanman

Cool, if its OK with you I'll update UPMT tutorial and give you the nasty of the OP and thread re-design.

Mejilan

^^
Files that I mention in my tutorial, or something I missed? I'm always looking for feedback.

navanman said:
Cool, if its OK with you I'll update UPMT tutorial and give you the nasty of the OP and thread re-design.

Oh, it'll be cooking for a while. Also, I think it'll require THREE posts. It's gonna be a monster of a re-design.

This hasn't been mentioned yet? Wagic: The Homebrew
Latest version was released a few days ago. Allows you to play Magic: The Gathering against an AI opponent, if you win you earn credits which can be used to purchase new packs of cards to build more powerful decks. Also has 2 player hotseat. Very impressive, although the AI isn't very smart or complex.

Mejilan said:
^^
Files that I mention in my tutorial, or something I missed? I'm always looking for feedback.

Oh, it'll be cooking for a while. Also, I think it'll require THREE posts. It's gonna be a monster of a re-design.

cygwin1.dll and cygz.dll need to be in the /data folder for RS's program to run. I wasn't completely following your tutorial.

Isobuster doesnt seem to work for me.

New problem: Vanguard Bandits is ripped and ready to go, eboot and all, but its not loading. I've tried several different pops versions. All I get is a blank screen after the warning splash. Not even the ps1 boot logo. Home menu still responds.

Your setup of pops loader was more complicated than mine. I simply dumped the plugin into the plugin folder and letter rip. The games I have that work all seem to boot fine regardless of what popsloader version im using so I assume that is set up correctly.

Teppic

I have a PSP with custom firmware 3.71 m33-4, can I update directly to 5.00 m33 from this?

Does popsloader work with the latest firmware 5.00 m33-4?

Mejilan

pancakesandsex said:
New problem: Vanguard Bandits is ripped and ready to go, eboot and all, but its not loading. I've tried several different pops versions. All I get is a blank screen after the warning splash. Not even the ps1 boot logo. Home menu still responds.

Smells like a bad rip to me.

Your setup of pops loader was more complicated than mine. I simply dumped the plugin into the plugin folder and letter rip. The games I have that work all seem to boot fine regardless of what popsloader version im using so I assume that is set up correctly.

What do you mean? The plugin without the relevant POPS files is COMPLETELY useless. It does nothing. You don't need ALL of the POPS files I list in my tutorial, but you will need some of them. Those steps aren't optional.

Teppic said:
I have a PSP with custom firmware 3.71 m33-4, can I update directly to 5.00 m33 from this?

Does popsloader work with the latest firmware 5.00 m33-4?

Yes. And the newest POPSLoader only works with 5.00 M33.

Mejilan

Obviously 5.00 M33-4.
Actually, I don't think it even works with vanilla 5.00 M33. I think it only supports 5.00 M33-2 or higher.

navanman

How to downgrade, install CFW on a PHAT & SLIM PSP using Universal Pandora Memory Tool (UPMT):

Intro:
Okay folks, this is an updated UPMT/UPT tutorial for those of you with CFW installed on your PSP. This tutorial has been updated to include the newest version of UPT which can install many versions of CFW up to 4.01 M33 using DC V7. This guide will not work on the new PSP-3000 and some of the later Slim PSPs due to changes in the IPL loading. No workaround for this issue has been discovered at present.

What you'll need:
- Any PSP with CFW installed, it doesn't matter if its a PHAT or SLIM PSP.
- Memory Stick Pro Duo ranging in size from 256MB (minimum) to 4GB (maximum), even a fake eBay/DealExtreme Memory Stick.
- It is recommended to have no custom themes installed when running this program or any of Dark_AleX's Despertar del Cementerio programs.

Fake MS Steps:
1. Download the UPT 5.0.2 archive from the PSP4NOOBZ website.
2. Extract the contents of the archive and copy the UPTv5.0.2 folder to the PSP/GAME folder of your PSPs Memory Stick (MS).
3. Then run the EBOOT called "UPT" from your PSP by browsing to GAME / Memory Stick in XMB.
4. Run the "Format & Repartition Memory Stick" program in the UPT Main Menu.
5. Remove and insert your fake Memory Stick and UPT will create the necessary directories.

What to do:
1. Download the UPT 5.0.2 archive from the PSP4NOOBZ website.
2. Extract the contents of the archive and copy the UPTv5.0.2 folder to the PSP/GAME folder of your PSPs Memory Stick (MS).
3. We then need to download the Sony 1.50FW and Sony 3.40FW and Sony 3.71FW and Sony 3.80FW and Sony 3.90FW and Sony 4.01FW and rename them to 150.PBP, 340.PBP, 371.PBP, 380.PB, 390.PBP, 401.PBP.
4. Place the 150.PBP, 340.PBP, 371.PBP, 380.PB, 390.PBP and 401.PBP in root/base level of your Memory Stick (MS).
5. Then run the EBOOT called "UPT" from your PSP by browsing to GAME / Memory Stick in XMB.
6. A menu will appear with 4 stages, we want to complete the first 3.
7. Select Stage 1: (IPL) and select "Install TM-IPL to MS boot sector". Ignore the warning if you have already formatted your fake Memory Stick.
8. Select Stage 2: (Battery). First, a backup will be made of your battery's eeprom serial number and then the Battery Menu will appear. Select "Create Service Battery" and return to Main Menu.
9. Select Stage 3: (Firmware) and choose "Install U.P.T". UPT will check that all the Sony FW needed is present on your Memory Stick and then start installation. A progress bar will appear on screen, then press "X" to finalize install.
10. Select Stage 4: (Utilities) and press RIGHT on the D-PAD. Select "Load Time Machine Installer by Dark_AleX and then select "Convert Pandora/DC1-DC4 ipl into TM format" and select "EXIT"
10. You are now finished installing UPT. Exit the program, turn off and remove the Battery and Memory Stick from your CFW PSP.

How to use:
1. Turn off PSP and insert Pandora Memory Stick.
2. You can either load Despertar del Cementerio V7 program to flash PSP direct to 4.01 M33 (ideal for just installing CFW) or you can load up the Ultimate Loader Menu (hold down L-TRIGGER) to fix bricked PSP or run other recovery applications. For the purpose of this guide, we will be using DC V7 to install 4.01 M33.
3. Hold down LEFT on the D-PAD.
4. Insert the Pandora Battery.
5. Your PSP Memory Stick access light should start flashing orange & then DC V7 menu will appear.
6. Select "NAND operations" and "DUMP NAND". You will need 32MB of free space for Phat PSP and 64MB of free space for Slim PSP to backup your NAND to your Memory Stick.
7. Press "( )" to go back to Main Menu and select "Install 4.01 M33"

Save nanddump.bin in root of MS to your PC when you are finished for safe keeping, incase you brick your PSP one day.

Multi-Booting PSP with TM-IPL loader:
This UPT package has one great feature in that if you don't hold down L-Trigger when you insert Pandora Battery it will boot your PSP as per normal.
If you have more than one MS and wish to keep your battery in Service Mode permanently, run the UPT installer again from that Memory Stick and only install Stage 1: (IPL), "Install TM-IPL to MS boot sector".

Thanks to Mejilan and Dragona Akehi for their stellar work and help in the awesome PSP CFW thread. Thanks also to everyone who has contributed to this thread over the last year.

matmanx1

Have the IkkiTousen Eloquent Fist .iso on my memory stick and it was working well under cfw 4.01 m33 but now refuses to start since I've upgraded to 5.0 m33-4. I've gone into the recovery menu but I'm not sure what all of those option do and didnt want to mess anything else up. Any suggestions to get Ikki working again or am I out of luck until the next update?

Oh yes, the error is the generic "The game could not be started. (80020321)" thing. Thanks for any suggestions.

matmanx1

Ok nevermind I figured it out. Silly update reset the "UMD required" option in the configuration menu. Once I switched that back off everything is rosy again.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
navanman said:
Any typos or mistakes let me know and I'll update the guide.
None that I have found, should come in handy if I ever feel the need to update my UPMT, thanks.

Mejilan said:
Smells like a bad rip to me.

What do you mean? The plugin without the relevant POPS files is COMPLETELY useless. It does nothing. You don't need ALL of the POPS files I list in my tutorial, but you will need some of them. Those steps aren't optional.

It looks like it was a bad rip. I gave ISO buster another shot and I was able to get several other games working fine.

Regarding my setup of popsloader:

I was given a zip with all of the necessary files already assembled, I did not remember there was a folder full of the files in your tutorial when I commented earlier. Checking now, it seems all of the proper files are there, so disregard anything that sounded like nonsense.

Has anyone had any luck getting FFIX to run as a multidisc eboot? Compatibility list says no, but you never know.

What was the 1st firmware to allow multi disc eboots? 3.71 has the option when i play FFXI but it is greyed out.

Also, can someone explain the whole "game ID" thing? Am I supposed to choose a different game ID and title in red squirrel? Can I manually change the title after selecting a different game id?

Cynar

nincompoop said:
This hasn't been mentioned yet? Wagic: The Homebrew
Latest version was released a few days ago. Allows you to play Magic: The Gathering against an AI opponent, if you win you earn credits which can be used to purchase new packs of cards to build more powerful decks. Also has 2 player hotseat. Very impressive, although the AI isn't very smart or complex.

I tried this out myself when I saw it released and it's pretty impressive for a homebrew game. <3 WTH :D

The M.O.B

Navanman, i used you old tut, and it worked like a charm. That was like a month ago, but whatever, good work on that.

Your updated one seems even better

-Rogue5-

Alright, how bad is it if I ripped a copy of ChronoCross with PSX2PSP without accounting for multi-disc booting? I changed the GameID/Name to Syphon Filter 3's (I think it's SCUS69640) in order to avoid freezing on both discs, but I just realized I didn't do anything to make the switching possible.

Is there any way to make the disc switching possible with my current (end of disc one) save files?

Mejilan

navanman said:
Any typos or mistakes let me know and I'll update the guide.

Thanks for the effort. I'll drop I've dropped a mention and a link in the current OP, but I'm out of space and can't include the tutorial itself, like before. It WILL be featured in the redesigned OP, however, once that hits.

-Rogue5- said:
Is there any way to make the disc switching possible with my current (end of disc one) save files?

If all else fails, you can use weltall's CWCheat plugin to convert the POPS save to an ePSXe format, load up the game using the actual discs on your PC via the ePSXe emu, pass through the disc swap, save on the new disc, then pass the new save through the CWCheat converter in order to restore it to a POPS format.

Tedious, but it does work, and it's a good replacement option when multi-disc EBOOTs are out of the question.

pancakesandsex said:
It looks like it was a bad rip. I gave ISO buster another shot and I was able to get several other games working fine.

Cheers for solving the issue.

Regarding my setup of popsloader:

I was given a zip with all of the necessary files already assembled, I did not remember there was a folder full of the files in your tutorial when I commented earlier. Checking now, it seems all of the proper files are there, so disregard anything that sounded like nonsense.

I figured it was something like that. In all honesty, I would recommend turning to Google over following my POPSLoader tutorial. My method works, but Google certainly is faster. It's just that we can't redistribute these POPS files, so download links and whatnot are out of the question.

Has anyone had any luck getting FFIX to run as a multidisc eboot? Compatibility list says no, but you never know.

I did. With either POPS 3.71 or 3.72. I don't exactly remember. Unlike FFVII, I haven't gotten around to actually finishing it on the PSP, but I did get through all of disc 1. I think I'm in the early hours of disc 2, currently.

What was the 1st firmware to allow multi disc eboots? 3.71 has the option when i play FFXI but it is greyed out.

I think it was introduced with 3.7x. The option is typically greyed out until you actually come upon an in-game disc swap screen. If you select to reset your game, however, you'll be prompted to switch discs.

Also, can someone explain the whole "game ID" thing? Am I supposed to choose a different game ID and title in red squirrel? Can I manually change the title after selecting a different game id?

Basically, each PSOne game disc is coded with a unique identifier. It's typically printed out on the disc art, the jewel case cover art, or both. There are other ways to determine it as well. Officially, the POPS emulator only supports those games released on the PSN. No one outside of Sony really knows how POPS works, but I think it's fair to assume that certain games, and thus, certain game IDs, have specific optimizations that make them run better on this emulator.

You can sometimes unofficially tap into those optimizations by applying a known-working game ID to your own unofficially converted PSOne classics. In all honesty, I haven't really fiddled with swapping out game IDs. Almost every single game that I have converted, to date, has run pretty well in one version of POPS or another, without the need to play such games.

Mejilan

I plan on tackling this once I wrap up my Chrono Trigger DS run. I might even get the EBOOT prepped and ready to go this weekend.

Anony

need opinions here, i'm thinking of getting a cheap 8gb off DX
i previously bought a 4gb from DX, a fake sony one, it has bad read/write speeds, but i got it for cheap, so i aint complaining

now, i'm looking at the 8gbs:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12796
or
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15683
the difference is less than a dollar and it's both under 18 bucks
some of the users have posted read/write speeds on the comments

also, i see a 5 buck microsdhc adapter http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18574
there's actually like 4 different ones, and i'm wondering if diff adapters will produce different read/write speeds for the same microsd

which route should i take, all will be slow, but at that price, whatchagonnado

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Does anyone know if there is a way of turning the PSP into a USB host? I have a 16GB memory stick, but on long trips I could do with being able to copy more files from my iPod to the memory stick.

Schrade

Bojanglez said:
Does anyone know if there is a way of turning the PSP into a USB host? I have a 16GB memory stick, but on long trips I could do with being able to copy more files from my iPod to the memory stick.
Not possibly yet unfortunately. I think there has to be some hardware modifications to do it.

Mejilan

pancakesandsex said:
Anyone ever get chrono cross working properly with minimal monkeying around?

I just did. I basically followed my own tutorial.
IsoBuster 2.4.0.1 to rip both discs.
RS GUI POPStationMD 3.0 to convert them into a consolidated multi-disc EBOOT (with custom images and music applied). I used game ID SCUS94640.
I loaded up the game using POPS 3.72 (POPSLoader 5.00 M33)

The two big failure triggers are defeating the Mama Komodo (first real boss) and accessing the status screen. I just played for about half an hour, killing the boss and accessing the status screens multiple times. I even tried rebooting into both discs, just to test 'em.

No issues. :)

Mejilan

Ugh. I just spent the past few hours trying to get Persona 2 - Eternal Punishment (US) and Persona 2 - Innocent Sin (JP + English fan patch v.1.00a) converted to PSP format.

It's commonly accepted that they're really only playable using POPS 4.01, with both use the P2 IS JP game ID (SLPS02100).

I know that my ISO rips were fine, because they loaded up without issue using ePSXe.
But after converting them using RS GUI POPStation MD 3.00, I could not get them to load using POPSLoader to boot them on 4.01. I know that my POPSLoader setup is fine, because other games work on 4.01.

So it was clearly an issue with the conversion. Still, the EBOOTs were technically valid, because both games would load just fine using POPS 3.72. Of course, since that's not 4.01, the games don't run optimally.

I fell back to my old standby converter, PSX2PSP 1.4.2, and reconverted them.
Now both games load up just fine using POPS 4.01. Splash screens, opening vids, new game... everything seems to be working.

Yeehaw! I think I'll update my conversion tutorial to make a mention of keeping multiple converters on-hand. It seems that not all EBOOTs are created equally.

Supposedly, Chrono Cross is another game that's quite sensitive to the converter used. However, under the right conditions, RS GUI POPStation MD 3.00 is a valid option for CC. Not so for either of the Persona 2 games, apparently.

Mejilan said:
Ugh. I just spent the past few hours trying to get Persona 2 - Eternal Punishment (US) and Persona 2 - Innocent Sin (JP + English fan patch v.1.00a) converted to PSP format.

It's commonly accepted that they're really only playable using POPS 4.01, with both use the P2 IS JP game ID (SLPS02100).

I know that my ISO rips were fine, because they loaded up without issue using ePSXe.
But after converting them using RS GUI POPStation MD 3.00, I could not get them to load using POPSLoader to boot them on 4.01. I know that my POPSLoader setup is fine, because other games work on 4.01.

So it was clearly an issue with the conversion. Still, the EBOOTs were technically valid, because both games would load just fine using POPS 3.72. Of course, since that's not 4.01, the games don't run optimally.

I fell back to my old standby converter, PSX2PSP 1.4.2, and reconverted them.
Now both games load up just fine using POPS 4.01. Splash screens, opening vids, new game... everything seems to be working.

Yeehaw! I think I'll update my conversion tutorial to make a mention of keeping multiple converters on-hand. It seems that not all EBOOTs are created equally.

Supposedly, Chrono Cross is another game that's quite sensitive to the converter used. However, under the right conditions, RS GUI POPStation MD 3.00 is a valid option for CC. Not so for either of the Persona 2 games, apparently.

Persona 2 EP needs to be compiled with NO COMPRESSION, if you do that it'll play perfectly fine on 3.80 or 4.01 POPS. I did ripped Persona 2 EP the other night and it's running great.

Mejilan

That would have been nice to know before hand (the compat. listings don't make a mention of compressions levels...)

That said, I'm running fully compressed versions now without any issues. So far!

Nemesis_

Okay NeoGAF. You've never failed me before, let's keep the streak going =D

I've just realised my PSP is horrifically out of date (both my fat 1000 model and firmware) and want to upgrade my CFW. I'm currently running 4.01 M33-2. What is the best way to upgrade? Do an upgrade straight to 5.00 M33-4 or just go through some older versions first? I hear that you can upgrade using the function in the XMB, was that function implemented in the version I have or do I still need to do some manual upgrades?

What's the best GUI that's around now for converting PSX ISOs to POPS format? I used to use one that was alright (I think it was called Simple PSX GUI) but are there any "better"ones released since then?

Finally, I played all the way through FFIX until the part where Alexander is summoned. Zidane runs up a staircase and the game goes completely black and freezes (I think this is Disc 3?). I hear this works with a diff. version of POPS but I can't confirm - can anyone else confirm for me by any chance?

Oh yeah, and are there any "major" compatibility issues with 5.00 M33-4? Has anything gone wrong per se since 4.01 M33-2?

Thanks guys! =)

Mejilan

Amazingly enough, pretty much all of your answers are in the OP.

And you're not that out of date. 4.01 M33 was basically one major CFW version ago.

Larsen B

I'm trying to play Broken Sword on my PSP but it seems to be running at double speed (a lot like when playing it on a PS2 with disc speed on fast).

I've tried playing it through various versions of POPS but it's always the same. And this is from me ripping the disc myself. No other 2D games seem to have any trouble and various compatibility lists have it as working on POPS 3.90.

Is there any reason why this would happen (possibly in the conversion from ISO using PSX2PSP) or some sort of PAL > NTSC patch I need?

Nemesis_

Mejilan said:
Amazingly enough, pretty much all of your answers are in the OP.

And you're not that out of date. 4.01 M33 was basically one major CFW version ago.
Oh, right. Thanks for the help >_>

I have OFW 5.02? idk. whatever the latest Firmware sony put up for the psp slim. it can be converted to CFW? if so, i would follow the first instruction link?

Mejilan

What model PSP? 3000s and some later 2000s are un-hackable for now. That said, to install CFW on a PSP running OFW 5.02, you'll need a Pandora battery.

Mejilan said:
What model PSP? 3000s and some later 2000s are un-hackable for now. That said, to install CFW on a PSP running OFW 5.02, you'll need a Pandora battery.

i got the psp 2000 around november of last year. hopefully it works since i already ordered the battery :lol

Mejilan said:
So a near-launch unit. You won't have a problem. I got my 2000 back when the core blacks launched, which was in October 2007, IIRC.

I would imagine that you'd be able to use this tutorial, created by navanman:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11770088&postcount=2886

That one's pretty old, but it should still work, I think.

There's no difference to the core black and the glittery silver one that came out with the daxter bundle?

But i'll try that tutorial out when i have the battery!

Mejilan

What bundle you purchase has something to do with what motherboard your PSP will have, but WHEN you purchased it is also significant.

I'm pretty damn sure that in Sept/Oct/Nov of 2007, all PSP 2000s, then basically brand new, had the same motherboard. It's only more recently manufactured 2000s (and all 3000s) that have Pandora-proof motherboards.

But I'm not an expert since I'm not in the business of buying dozens of PSPs and opening them all up. I've got a US black launch 1000, and a US black launch 2000. That's it.

Mejilan

Probably. I've never actually used the cat5b pandora installer, but I can definitely vouch for Sandisk 8GB support on the UPMS/UPT tutorials, despite warnings to the contrary.

Mejilan

April of last year? 2007? IIRC, the Slims didn't come out until September-ish of 2007... no?
In any event, any 2007 PSP should be crack-able, though you'll probably need a Pandora.

Mejilan said:
April of last year? 2007? IIRC, the Slims didn't come out until September-ish of 2007... no?
In any event, any 2007 PSP should be crack-able, though you'll probably need a Pandora.

Sorry I meant April of this year.
So probably no?

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Hey guys, I just upgraded to the last CFW, and noticed the PS store is there! can I access it and download and buy stuff, or will they block or ban me because of the CFW?
Sorry if it's been asked or discussed before, this thread is a behemot.

Top Bottom