• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR2: Owners and Potential Owners. Are You Satisfied? Are you Interested?

Thoughts on PSVR2

• I own it and love it

Votes: 40 26.8%
  • I own it and it's alright

Votes: 34 22.8%
  • I'm really interested in it and plan on buying one

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I'm not all that interested in it

Votes: 55 36.9%

• Total voters

fart town usa

Gold Member
I've been on a VR kick the past few weeks and I'll be brief. I honestly love the PSVR2, it's easily the most interesting thing in gaming right now for me. Of course PCVR is better selection-wise but I'm not spending that kind of money.

I feel like there is such a great selection of games and I like that most games don't waste your time. I find many to be immensely replayable because of that reason alone; most games are under 7 hours. Not only that, they are really different experiences. VR inserts you into the videogame, it sounds dumb to say it like that but I feel like some people don't quite get it.

If I want to see nice bright colors and have kind of a thrill ride vibe, I put on Horizon: Call of the Mountain. Something super exciting and intense, Synapse. Ever wonder what it's like to be inside a PSX Survival Horror game? Go play Organ Quarter. The PSVR2 version of Red Matter 2 is in a league of it's own when it comes to visual clarity. It's looks so damn stunning.

I haven't even got to Gran Turismo 7 yet because I know I'll want a race wheel and I need to not buy that stuff. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

People talking about HL: Alyx. Yea, I want to play it too but we have RE: Village and will also have RE4 sometime within the next 6 months probably. We're getting Vertigo 2 on October 24th as well.

VR rules. There's a great OT with good conversations but now that the headset has been out a while, I'm curious what Gaf thinks about it. Lots of potential bangers releasing this 4th quarter too, the release schedule is stacked.

I own it, bought several games and now want to unload it to a coworker.
The tracking works well but the helmet needs an over the top of head support rather than the squeeze your forehead method. I feel Uncle Fester in the Adams Family in a head vice.
I have two games I feel worth the device. Call of the Mountain and Resident Evil Village.
All other games are just ports of something that a cheap quest device could play.
Ultimately I regret outlaying the money. My family doest even bother touching it. Im the only one using it and I use it to try and justify all the money I blew.

aclar00

Its alright, mainly playing for a quick workout in Body Combat and Creed. Beat RE8 and once i got all main cafe rewards in GT7 i was pretty much done.

Many games are a bit to arcadey for me. Also, got burned by Kayak, so not too keen on just jumping in on things. A game has to genuinely interest me. Need more AA games and at least two AAA games a year.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
In the here and now, not at all. There would need to be a decent number of compelling software for me to want to get into VR. The only VR-only game I want to play is Alyx, but I am not investing in the eco-system for just one game.

Killjoy-NL

I love it, games like Pavlov, GT7 and NMS (more so after the latest update) are really great, but tbh I don't really use much outside of cinema-mode when my gf is watching tv and I want to use my PS5.

Last edited:
I really like it but I can't say I love it until there are more games with the same level of quality and gameplay value as Resident Evil Village.

I wish the mura effect wasn't so bad and that the HDR was better, but for the price the hardware is absolutely fantastic.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Haven't touched it Months, it great tech but there's been fuck all available for it since launch.

Robb

Gold Member
I don’t think I’ll be interested in this until Sony makes the base system a VR headset and all games are designed for VR first and foremost. And even then I’d be hesitant.

Last edited:

Kupfer

I own it and it sits on its box collecting dust.
I expected this to happen but still I'm disappointed because there is so much potential lost.
The hardware it good, the software feels like they gave up already.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Thank you for the replies. Like I said, mostly just curious where people are at now that it's been on the market for 6+ months.

For those who own the headset and think the selection is rubbish, I strongly encourage you to look at the games again and watch some YT videos. Yes most of the games are indie but many of them are absolute gems and something like Hubris feels AAA even though it isn't. Lots of good stuff and the coming months have lots in store. Make sure you check the PSVR2 selection on PSN and wishlist some games.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
0% interest for me. I have a Quest 2 and there's enough overlap between the libraries that it wouldn't make sense really.

I'm glad I have a VR system and was into it for 6 months pretty steadily, but I haven't touched mine for a while. It's still just more difficult to put on a headset, deal with the mild motion sickness, block off a room so I don't crush my cats, make sure the headset is charged and every game is updated, etc. I don't regret getting it though. Everyone should try VR for a few months at a minimum.

My experience is still that I gravitate almost exclusively to the short pick up and play arcade games in VR. Longer experiences are too taxing still.

Ozzie666

I'm hopefullesslly waiting for a Blood & Truth sequel. Good rail shooters seem like such easy money for PSVR1/2 with those controllers too. Older games like Dead Space Extraction or newer ones likeHouse of The Dead Scarlet Dawn, or some cool version of Panzer Dragoon. I can dream right.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm hopefullesslly waiting for a Blood & Truth sequel. Good rail shooters seem like such easy money thosr PSVR1/2 with those controllers too. Older games like Dead Space Extraction or newer ones likeHouse of The Dead Scarlet Dawn, or some cool version of Panzer Dragoon. I can dream right.
I recommend Yuki if you find it for cheap.

Unfortunately it's a roguelike shmup so that's lame. But the actual shooting and bosses are great. Closest I've seen to something like Panzer Dragoon.

poodaddy

In the here and now, not at all. There would need to be a decent number of compelling software for me to want to get into VR. The only VR-only game I want to play is Alyx, but I am not investing in the eco-system for just one game.
This is kinda where I stand, though I think there are several titles I'd play, just not enough. Alyx, Village, RE4, RE7, I think Super Hot got a VR, and I'm sure there are others. Problem is, I'm not gonna buy multiple different headsets and invest in multiple different ecosystems for a limited amount of games, that's just kinda stupid, financially speaking. If there was a way to play all these games on one headset, I'm in.

Speaking of that, is PSVR2 usable on PC yet?

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I love mine, the sense of immersion and visual jump over PSVR1 is just off the scale, i'm still in awe of Red Matter 2's Planetry vista's, they are a fucking sight to behold, you can take your Cyberpunk RT Overdrive and shove it tbh, it comes absolutely nowhere close to how stunning it is looking up at Neptune and have it fill your field of view, with a distant mountain range and the vast desert planes of the moon stretching away to the horizon, you just cant get that sense of awe and wonder on a 2D screen. I've parked mine for now as i'm loving BG3... BG3 in VR oh man... anyways roll on RE4, i've never played it and after the incredible job Capcom done with RE8 which is one of the best games ive ever played i am beyond excited for the new one

Ogbert

Cool tech and GT7 is ace, but it’s the same as every other VR headset.

You just can’t shake the underlying feeing of it being a ‘bit’ gimmicky. It’s fun though. Just realise you’re not
going to get 100s of hours out of it.

Chukhopops

I want to buy a new headset but Quest 3 looks like a better option between the library transfer, PC compatibility, standalone use and a few other use cases.

I bought a Rift S years ago so I’m looking forward to seeing how tech has improved with 2.5 times more pixels.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'm hopefullesslly waiting for a Blood & Truth sequel. Good rail shooters seem like such easy money for PSVR1/2 with those controllers too. Older games like Dead Space Extraction or newer ones likeHouse of The Dead Scarlet Dawn, or some cool version of Panzer Dragoon. I can dream right.

Loved blood and truth. I'm with you!

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
I’m glad I resisted the temptation to buy one at launch. GT7 is amazing and one of my most played games this generation but they’re just not doing enough to make me want to purchase one yet.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I love mine, the sense of immersion and visual jump over PSVR1 is just off the scale, i'm still in awe of Red Matter 2's Planetry vista's, they are a fucking sight to behold, you can take your Cyberpunk RT Overdrive and shove it tbh, it comes absolutely nowhere close to how stunning it is looking up at Neptune and have it fill your field of view, with a distant mountain range and the vast desert planes of the moon stretching away to the horizon, you just cant get that sense of awe and wonder on a 2D screen. I've parked mine for now as i'm loving BG3... BG3 in VR oh man... anyways roll on RE4, i've never played it and after the incredible job Capcom done with RE8 which is one of the best games ive ever played i am beyond excited for the new one
Off topic but I picked up The Thing for Xbox this past weekend. Stoked to try it out, never played it before.

GHG

Not interested unless they also offer official PC support.

Might be a bit late for that now though with the Quest 3 and Valves new headset upcoming.

I love it, it's a game changer for me. I'm just waiting october to use it again, right now it's still too hot in my country to play in VR

Last edited:

keraj37

PSVR2 + No Man's Sky (After echos update) is a system seller, I play only it and probably will for next few hundred hours, game is massive and fun.

fart town usa

Gold Member
And I'm wondering why people are saying it needs more games. 28 sounds extensive. Or maybe they mean games exclusive to the headset?
For the most part it's people who want AAA games from Sony or are hung up on Alyx not being available.

I get that mindset but I also feel like it's self-limiting. Lots of people overlook the indie games as shovelware but that really isn't the case the majority of the time.

It's honestly a shame because so many VR studios are tiny, basically just a group of friends giving it their all and many of the games deserve support and are worth playing.

I've said it in other threads but VR reminds me a lot of the 32-bit generation. Lots of experimentation because it's still so new. It's really exciting for me. VR is also so completely different from flat gaming and if you only pick it up here and there's it's always going to feel awkward. If it's something you take to and play on a regular basis, it becomes second nature and really engaging. I don't suffer motion sickness at all now and I know how to wear the headset so it feels comfortable. Lots of "issues" that people describe are valid but they're also only issues because people are writing off games and simply not using the headset enough to become attuned to it.

aclar00

Honestly, Sony's biggest problem with peripherals, PSVR2 included, is that they rarely, if ever go all in. They arent willing to take any real risk. All their peripherals have been perpetual QA testing machines. Its truly disappointing.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
There are only a few actual psvr2 games, which are terrific.
90% of the library are cheap indie ports.
Ehhh...

Who owns multiple headsets? That is so rare. Even if a game is a few years old, it's new to the vast majority of PSVR2 owners.

I get what you're saying but it's not really an issue for most of us cause we're simply not aware of most games until they release on the PSN. Is that us being ignorant? Of course, but all the same, the games might as well be brand new and many of these ports are updated and the best version of the game when it comes to other headsets they released on.

AGRacing

"Give me a PC driver Sony so I don't feel like you completely ripped me off on this thing"... where's that option?

It's great, but you gotta be open to playing $20-40 dollar vr games. If you expect everything to be RE8, RE4, GT7, Horizon, etc. you'll be disappointed.
I already got a big backlog and most of my wishlist is VR titles.

Top Bottom