• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR2: Owners and Potential Owners. Are You Satisfied? Are you Interested?

Thoughts on PSVR2

• I own it and love it

Votes: 40 26.8%
  • I own it and it's alright

Votes: 34 22.8%
  • I'm really interested in it and plan on buying one

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I'm not all that interested in it

Votes: 55 36.9%

• Total voters

XXL

Just realise you’re not
going to get 100s of hours out of it.
Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office

I have over a 100hrs in Pavlov alone and about 200-300hr in general on PSVR 2 this year.

Flyinmunky

I was a early oculus DK 1 user, that convinced me VR was amazing but needed time for tech to improve. Tried a HTC Vive on release, was good but not quite there image quality wise.
Been waiting to dive back in but feel we just not quite there yet. Hoping Valves next headset will be when i jump back in.
Being locked into just Sony software is a big nope.

zero interest in any gaming VR headsets. full body tracking would be a good start but even at that you're still going to be standing in a room or sitting down when playing which limits the experience. we need to find a way to control games with our brain. i want to be able to have the feeling of walking around in a virtual world without actually having to walk or by pressing a button.

AR gaming will probably be what takes off. That is more exciting to me and feels easily achievable in the next 5-10 years. Look how big Pokemon Go was and imagine something like that but instead of having to carry smartphones we had AR headsets to play it with. I'm not just talking about Pokemon Go that's only an example. With the move to mixed reality headsets by Meta and Apple then we could have affordable mass market AR headsets in the next decade.

Last edited:

Fbh

I find VR interesting but I still think it's too expensive and it just doesn't have a killer software lineup to justify the price.
I don't have that much money to spend on gaming and if I'm going to spend $500+ on new hardware I'd rather put it towards a Switch 2 whenever that launches or one of those portable PC's.

fart town usa

Gold Member
zero interest in any gaming VR headsets. full body tracking would be a good start but even at that you're still going to be standing in a room or sitting down when playing which limits the experience. we need to find a way to control games with our brain. i want to be able to have the feeling of walking around in a virtual world without actually having to walk or by pressing a button.

AR gaming will probably be what takes off. That is more exciting to me and feels easily achievable in the next 5-10 years.
nightmare-slain nightmare-slain is Skynet confirmed.

Don'tbelievehislies.gif 😅

aclar00

Thank you for the replies. Like I said, mostly just curious where people are at now that it's been on the market for 6+ months.

For those who own the headset and think the selection is rubbish, I strongly encourage you to look at the games again and watch some YT videos. Yes most of the games are indie but many of them are absolute gems and something like Hubris feels AAA even though it isn't. Lots of good stuff and the coming months have lots in store. Make sure you check the PSVR2 selection on PSN and wishlist some games.

Unfortunately ive never been much of an indie kind of guy. I bought Kayak on a whim based in others impressions and was sorely disappointed. Also bought Tentacular for my kid, but neither he or i cared for it too long. Also tried the demos of a few games, but nothing quite peaked my interest.

With that said, ive far and wide have bought more games per capita for PSVR2 than PS5, especially considering the time frame. Nonetheless, the experiences are lacking. Got my fill of GT7, beat RE8 in VR, and play Les Mills Body Combat and Creed for my workouts. However, even the last two lack sorely in features IMO.

Demos of C-Smash, Drum Rock, Cosmonious High and Song in the Smoke just dont do it for me. Im just not as willing, giving what ive bought so far, to buy more games with the hope that i will like them.

Unfortunately, the only game i can think of off the top of my hand im interested in is RE4 VR, and i didnt care for the flat demo (controls too heavy).

RoadHazard

Gold Member

AR gaming will probably be what takes off. That is more exciting to me and feels easily achievable in the next 5-10 years. Look how big Pokemon Go was and imagine something like that but instead of having to carry smartphones we had AR headsets to play it with. I'm not just talking about Pokemon Go that's only an example. With the move to mixed reality headsets by Meta and Apple then we could have affordable mass market AR headsets in the next decade.

AR is even more limiting in many ways though, since then you're limited to the actual real world.

Either way, these are two very different experiences. VR is about being transported to a different world, AR is about putting virtual stuff in the real world.

AR is even more limiting in many ways though, since then you're limited to the actual real world.

Either way, these are two very different experiences. VR is about being transported to a different world, AR is about putting virtual stuff in the real world.
how is that limiting lol

and thanks for the explaination.... i think i know the difference :messenger_tears_of_joy:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I certainly had fun when I first got it, but I feel that the catalog is just limited... and well there's not really a focus so haven't used it in at least a month now.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Unfortunately ive never been much of an indie kind of guy. I bought Kayak on a whim based in others impressions and was sorely disappointed. Also bought Tentacular for my kid, but neither he or i cared for it too long. Also tried the demos of a few games, but nothing quite peaked my interest.

With that said, ive far and wide have bought more games per capita for PSVR2 than PS5, especially considering the time frame. Nonetheless, the experiences are lacking. Got my fill of GT7, beat RE8 in VR, and play Les Mills Body Combat and Creed for my workouts. However, even the last two lack sorely in features IMO.

Demos of C-Smash, Drum Rock, Cosmonious High and Song in the Smoke just dont do it for me. Im just not as willing, giving what ive bought so far, to buy more games with the hope that i will like them.

Unfortunately, the only game i can think of off the top of my hand im interested in is RE4 VR, and i didnt care for the flat demo (controls too heavy).
Get Hubris or Red Matter 2 if you want a solid VR campaign. Hubris is shooting/platforming. RM2 is mostly puzzles but also has a bit of combat here and there. Both are fantastic games. Get Synapse or The Light Brigade if you want some awesome roguelite gun combat. Synapse is fast paced, TLB is slower and spooky.

Song in the Smoke is a great game but yea, it's a slog and unless you like Survival games, it's gonna be underwhelming. I struggle to get into it and it's on the back burner for the foreseeable future. I do know it's worth playing though, just don't have the mindset for it.

Walking Dead Saints and Sinners is great as well. You should add the games I mentioned to your wishlist and wait for a sale.

Also, Keep Vertigo 2 on your radar. It's a solo developed game from some prodigy who used to work for Valve. Supposed to be top 3 VR and the PSVR2 version is loaded with features (level editor even) and has a 10 hour campaign. Releases October 24th.

It needs 3d vr interface for PlayStation menus and settings, not flat 2d.

And a social hub/Home™

And a phenomenal rpg title. (Skyrim, I will miss you)

Well - atleast we've got GT7 and Starfi No Man Sky!
They are literally blowing harder than I've ever seen not bringing back PS Home AT THE VERY LEAST in VR

Reactions: K2D

tmlDan

I haven't had time to play since there have been so many games coming out but i saw a ton of new announcements im interested in that PS announced via their channel.

It def needs to be shown off more, they should market it more if they can

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
And I'm wondering why people are saying it needs more games. 28 sounds extensive. Or maybe they mean games exclusive to the headset?
It's just one of those lines people throw around as an excuse or sad attempt as an argument.

"There's not enough games" becomes "not enough exclusives" then becomes "not enough first party titles" and so on.

Last edited:
VR2 was supposed to be better out of the gate. The hw obviously is improved, the game support though is the same clueless, half assed support that was okay for a test unit, VR1, but not the actual mass market product. Currently no real interest.
I have a couple VR1 games in my backlog. If I want some VR time, I can do that.

For VR2 to become interesting at least some of below things would need to happen to make it a viable plattform worth the price:
PC support
VR1 migration for all its games, incl upscaling or framerate improvement
dictated VR support for all PS5 games. Minimum: a 3d cinema mode.
Sony must make all their games VR-too, those were it makes the slightest sense, which are almost all. Don't waste time making any VR-exclusive.
Sony should port/buy a couple of PC VR mods and polish them.
so in short: Sony should support it at least more than the Vita.

fart town usa

Gold Member
VR2 was supposed to be better out of the gate. The hw obviously is improved, the game support though is the same clueless, half assed support that was okay for a test unit, VR1, but not the actual mass market product. Currently no real interest.
I have a couple VR1 games in my backlog. If I want some VR time, I can do that.

For VR2 to become interesting at least some of below things would need to happen to make it a viable plattform worth the price:
PC support
VR1 migration for all its games, incl upscaling or framerate improvement
dictated VR support for all PS5 games. Minimum: a 3d cinema mode.
Sony must make all their games VR-too, those were it makes the slightest sense, which are almost all. Don't waste time making any VR-exclusive.
Sony should port/buy a couple of PC VR mods and polish them.
so in short: Sony should support it at least more than the Vita.
Hybrid gaming is what would really turn heads and according to some insiders, that was one of Sony's plans but yea, outside of GT7 and RE:Village & 4, we really haven't seen anything that Sony is developing or funding.

PSVR2 has a great selection but if you want Sony AAA stuff then it's sorely lacking. I think it's really jarring for some people to see what is available cause lots of games are easy to write off, reviews are generally limited and there's a severe lack of demos. It's a high price of entry too so I can't fault anyone who is apprehensive about investing in one.

I do hope the tide shifts though and at the very least, people become more open and appreciative of the selection of games and studios working on things. It's been a great 7 months so far but it's definitely an uphill battle with getting non-VR players to care or be interested.

Last edited:
I haven't even got to Gran Turismo 7 yet because I know I'll want a race wheel and I need to not buy that stuff. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
That's where it all starts... and then a few years later you're having a high end DD drive assembled on a $500+ metal rig on some makeshift gaming room and paying a yearly iracing subscription...

Welcome to my life 7 years ago :messenger_tears_of_joy:

fart town usa

Gold Member
That's where it all starts... and then a few years later you're having a high end DD drive assembled on a $500+ metal rig on some makeshift gaming room and paying a yearly iracing subscription...

Welcome to my life 7 years ago :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I do have the Logitech PS3 race wheel and have honestly considered hooking up the PS3 to the PSVR breakout box and going that route. Basically just flat gaming on a massive virtual screen. 🫠😅

I do have the Logitech PS3 race wheel and have honestly considered hooking up the PS3 to the PSVR breakout box and going that route. Basically just flat gaming on a massive virtual screen. 🫠😅
If you have the wheel already definitely do it. VR is made for sim racing (though GT7 is not that good of a sim). But will get you started at least :)
In a year or so you'll be buying some Fanatec gear most likely to upgrade :D

Any game you're sitting at a cockpit is 100% what VR can do that flatscreen isn't able to touch. And you're not playing "VR experiences", you're playing the real game the way it was always meant to be played.

edit: to confirm, don't hook it to the ps3, just connect the ps3 wheel to the PS5 and race there on GT or F1 (if the ps5 F1 version has VR, not sure it does).

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
If you have the wheel already definitely do it. VR is made for sim racing (though GT7 is not that good of a sim). But will get you started at least :)
In a year or so you'll be buying some Fanatec gear most likely to upgrade :D

Any game you're sitting at a cockpit is 100% what VR can do that flatscreen isn't able to touch. And you're not playing "VR experiences", you're playing the real game the way it was always meant to be played.

edit: to confirm, don't hook it to the ps3, just connect the ps3 wheel to the PS5 and race there on GT or F1 (if the ps5 F1 version has VR, not sure it does).
Yea, I hear what you're saying but unfortunately the wheel I have isn't compatible with PS5/GT7. Such a shame cause the force feedback is outstanding. I can't imagine the newest wheel is that much better than what I already have.

Someday I definitely will though, I just don't have the space to get a cockpit setup.

Fredrik

Nah. I have a Quest 2 that’s just collecting dust these days, no interest in getting Quest 3 or PSVR2 or whatever new thing Valve is working on. No big studio games, no hardware purchase.

LostDonkey

I use it on GT7, although I can't for long as it makes me sick.

There's no other games I'm interested in. I've never even used the Dildo things that come in the box?

LostDonkey

Yea, I hear what you're saying but unfortunately the wheel I have isn't compatible with PS5/GT7. Such a shame cause the force feedback is outstanding. I can't imagine the newest wheel is that much better than what I already have.

Someday I definitely will though, I just don't have the space to get a cockpit setup.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Thank you so much! I will definitely look into it.

which logitech wheel is it? the g29?? if so, it should definitely work :)

and trust me, if you never tried a direct drive wheel, you haven't yet lived :messenger_bicep:

every other wheel is a kid's toy in comparison :messenger_sunglasses:

but you'll know when the time has come, and it will come hehe

fart town usa

Gold Member
which logitech wheel is it? the g29?? if so, it should definitely work :)

and trust me, if you never tried a direct drive wheel, you haven't yet lived :messenger_bicep:

every other wheel is a kid's toy in comparison :messenger_sunglasses:

but you'll know when the time has come, and it will come hehe
Yea, just googled it and it's the G29. I'm not familiar with 'direct drive' tech. I'll have to YouTube it, I bet it's amazing.

Edit- actually, it's the Driving Force GT but it seems like it'd still work. I'll have to look into this and see if it's worth the cost.

Last edited:

Techies

It went into the box for 4 months. Only came out because of no man sky update which is great.

I hate the headset too be honest, it's like they made the worst decisions possible in it's design when it comes to comfort/ease of use.

My Quest2 headset with the bobo strap I can out on in 5 seconds which include turning the knob.

With PSVR2 i need to use both hands and a bit of strength just to get it on my head, then it take minutes of fiddling just to get a clear picture

It's a pain in the ass, only for the discomfort to set in 20 minutes later.

You cannot easily switch for a new headstrap like Quest2.

Crayon

Me and my friend both have one. He bought his only for GT7, which he got pretty serious about. We were talking about it a few weeks ago and the biggest thing about psvr2 is.... hate to say it.... games with actualy good graphics. Alyx had good graphics but it is this strange outlier, never kicking off a string of aaa's as hoped. So yeah, it nice to be able to play actual current-looking games in vr. Don't mean to sound like a whore.

As for me, I don't have a lot of opportunities to play vr the way I want. IE: I'm all alone and I'm ready to flush this whole day down the toilet. But when I do.... there is no replacement. When I'm in the mood for vr, a flat game is not going to cut it, full stop. I must say it's kinda nice to move around a bit (or a lot) for a huge nerp session. I played like 12 hours of FF7R this weekend and I think I felt organs shutting down.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Not enough games to justify the purchase. I can overlook the price, but is hard to commit for half a dozen games.
There's plenty more games worth playing than half a dozen but I get where you're coming from. It's a fair critique if you don't want indie titles.
It went into the box for 4 months. Only came out because of no man sky update which is great.

I hate the headset too be honest, it's like they made the worst decisions possible in it's design when it comes to comfort/ease of use.

My Quest2 headset with the bobo strap I can out on in 5 seconds which include turning the knob.

With PSVR2 i need to use both hands and a bit of strength just to get it on my head, then it take minutes of fiddling just to get a clear picture

It's a pain in the ass, only for the discomfort to set in 20 minutes later.

You cannot easily switch for a new headstrap like Quest2.
Fair critique too, the headset is definitely unbearable to wear if it's not situated correctly on your noggin. All I can say is that the fit can be tricky but once you have it in correctly, it feels fine. It took me a while to get the placement down to a science. More or less seamless now but hard to explain via text with how I go about it.

There is a great cover that people rave about. I think it's on vrcovers.com for $30. I haven't purchased it yet but plan on it for hygiene purposes, comes with a head strap too.

Lunarorbit

Even after all these months I still don't understand sonys strategy. Are horizon and gt7 the only 1st party games?

I need to see them commit to the hardware with actual games before buying it. Lots of 3rd party stuff whixh is awesome but I'm not ready yet

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This poll sucks.
There are 2 options that it's good and 2 options that you dont care.
Where are options that it's mediocre or bad?

I had it and returned it. I hated the comfort and terrible lenses (very small sweet spot)

fart town usa

Gold Member
Even after all these months I still don't understand sonys strategy. Are horizon and gt7 the only 1st party games?

I need to see them commit to the hardware with actual games before buying it. Lots of 3rd party stuff whixh is awesome but I'm not ready yet
They are funding various things.

They funded Village and RE4. They also helped fund the remaster of Song in the Smoke and I think they published the new Firewall but that game has been a disaster unfortunately.

To your point though, everyone is interested to see what Sony will do from their own studios and Sony seems fine with staying mum. It's really lame. I appreciate that they created the headset but it's like they can't be bothered to talk about it.

fart town usa

Gold Member
In the here and now, not at all. There would need to be a decent number of compelling software for me to want to get into VR. The only VR-only game I want to play is Alyx, but I am not investing in the eco-system for just one game.
I would encourage you to subscribe to PSVRWithoutParole on YT. At the very least you can see their weekly news videos, they are like 2 mins long and show what's releasing. At least that way you can be aware of what's out there. It's a high cost of entry, I don't fault anyone who is apprehensive about investing in it.

This poll sucks.
There are 2 options that it's good and 2 options that you dont care.
Where are options that it's mediocre or bad?

I had it and returned it. I hated the comfort and terrible lenses (very small sweet spot)

Your post sucks.
Your mother
They are funding various things.

They funded Village and RE4. They also helped fund the remaster of Song in the Smoke and I think they published the new Firewall but that game has been a disaster unfortunately.

To your point though, everyone is interested to see what Sony will do from their own studios and Sony seems fine with staying mum. It's really lame. I appreciate that they created the headset but it's like they can't be bothered to talk about it.
17WL6mO.gif

Last edited:

Ogbert

Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office

I have over a 100hrs in Pavlov alone and about 200-300hr in general on PSVR 2 this year.
Well, I’d humbly suggest you are the exception rather than the rule.

VR is brilliant but I think it’s important to get across to people that it’s not going to replace standard gaming, especially considering the cost.

Top Bottom