• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psychedelic shoot ‘em up Futuridium EP Deluxe coming to PS Vita

Skyrise

shit, they link to free Mac App version on their site as well as link to $1.99 iOS version...

still buying day 1 on ps vita

Initially we've done the game for a contest, and the first plan was to have it out free for PC/Mac. It was intended to be a little free portfolio title for us.
Then we ported it to iOS and released it for 1.99.

The Vita version, titled Deluxe, features a lot more content, new gameplay mechanics and game modes, levels and so on. We've re-worked everything, content wise we're really happy on how the game is shaping up. It's Futuridium on steroids. ;)

Hey Skyrise, not to thread hijack but how far off is forma.8? Dig you guys, love this burgeoning Italian indie scene (who all seem to dig the Vita!)!

todahawk

Initially we've done the game for a contest, and the first plan was to have it out free for PC/Mac. It was intended to be a little free portfolio title for us.
Then we ported it to iOS and released it for 1.99.

The Vita version, titled Deluxe, features a lot more content, new gameplay mechanics and game modes, levels and so on. We've re-worked everything, content wise we're really happy on how the game is shaping up. It's Futuridium on steroids. ;)

thanks for the clarification! i did see that specified on the vita version that it has a lot more content.

digging the Mac App version but can't wait to get home and plug in my dual shock 4 and try it.

btw, really lovin the soundtrack!

HYPE

It's a lot more fast paced than StarFox and the gameplay is different.
It's more like a Death Star trench run + puzzle game. On LSD. Sorta... :D

Anything that is like the Death Star trench run gets bought immediately in my book.

Native res, 60fps, 2xMSAA. ;)

Also: full realtime shadows and we'll try to add even more post processing than what's in the video.

Awww hell ya.

Skyrise

Hey Skyrise, not to thread hijack but how far off is forma.8? Dig you guys, love this burgeoning Italian indie scene (who all seem to dig the Vita!)!

Don't worry about hijacking the thread.
We've been silent about it for a while, we started working on consoles a lot earlier than we anticipated and it blowed our minds (and our plans!).

We'll have more news on forma.8 by the end of the month. New announcement. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised! ;)

Skyrise

digging the Mac App version but can't wait to get home and plug in my dual shock 4 and try it.

btw, really lovin the soundtrack!

It really needs to be played with a pad, DS3 and DS4 on Mac works perfectly out of the box (you just have to map the stick and buttons in the Input windows when you start up the game).

Thanks for the soundtrack, the Vita one will have more and more tunes (1+ hours of music). ;)

todahawk

Ok....
so I got home, connected my MBP to my TV and my DS4 to my MBP and fired up Futuridium.

First thing, playing with the DS4 made a HUGE difference. Ugh, so good.
Second, even my speakers at work did no justice to the music compared to my setup at home.

I am really, really digging the game big time. Especially the further I get in and you're skimming above, below and in between the ship structures. I was getting major flashbacks to The Last Starfighter.

Really can't freakin' wait for the PS Vita version now.

Sorry for the shit quality pics but just to give you an idea...
(btw i darkened my laptop screen while playing)
E0czKZr.jpg

joaUxcm.jpg

Agent X

I hadn't heard of Futuridium until today. I'm rather impressed with what I'm seeing so far!

Anything that takes inspiration from Uridium has my attention. I can see some resemblance, but at the same time this looks like it evolved into something different and appealing on its own.

The music also seems evocative of late 80s/early 90s Commodore 64 and Amiga games. The video and the sample music tracks posted on the PlayStation.Blog are really good.

Skyrise

Ok....
so I got home, connected my MBP to my TV and my DS4 to my MBP and fired up Futuridium.

First thing, playing with the DS4 made a HUGE difference. Ugh, so good.
Second, even my speakers at work did no justice to the music compared to my setup at home.

I am really, really digging the game big time. Especially the further I get in and you're skimming above, below and in between the ship structures. I was getting major flashbacks to The Last Starfighter.

Really can't freakin' wait for the PS Vita version now.

Woah, thanks!

I think it's a very polarising game.
I mean, we really loved doing it and we've done it exactly how we wanted it to play: no concession, we know it's bloody hard, and playing it as the developer, all day, makes it very complex to judge the difficulty balance.
But in the end we're happy with the result: I think the game would lose a lot of his charm if it was made easier.
Lots of people hate it, lots of people love it: and we're perfectly fine with that. :)

I can't describe how happy I feel when someone talk about our game, it's amazing to see people playing it!

So thanks for all the comments, any comments.

todahawk

Woah, thanks!

I think it's a very polarising game.
I mean, we really loved doing it and we've done it exactly how we wanted it to play: no concession, we know it's bloody hard, and playing it as the developer, all day, makes it very complex to judge the difficulty balance.
But in the end we're happy with the result: I think the game would lose a lot of his charm if it was made easier.
Lots of people hate it, lots of people love it: and we're perfectly fine with that. :)

I can't describe how happy I feel when someone talk about our game, it's amazing to see people playing it!

So thanks for all the comments, any comments.

Ok, i'll share some thoughts I've had as I've played...

Early on I was a bit frustrated at the shortness of the gameplay segments. Crash, start over, crash, game over. Or miss, miss, crash, out of energy game over. I loved the flying experience and I love the ghost trails that show where you've been previously. I especially love threading the needle on structures. I grew frustrated at the briefness of the flying...

But as I got better at flying and playing the game I grew to appreciate the difficulty. I'm not 100% sure that I wouldn't mind it being a tad... different in terms of difficulty but I do like the game.

I know the vita version is coming soon and we don't know all of the modes and details but I'd be interested in some sort of free roam exploratory mode possibly. Some sort of longer experience. I dunno, the game is beautiful and a joy to play, i just want it to last longer. Take all of this with a grain of salt, maybe i just need to get better.

(FWIW i'm no stranger to hard and challenging games, i like a good challenge)

Thanks!

About the Vita version... I think we got a bit carried away, we're adding an truckload of new stuff and features. ;)
awesome! anything you can share yet???

Oh, and any idea on a North America release date? thanks!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Hi guys! I'm Mauro Fanelli, 50% of MixedBag and the one from the PSBlog.

We are extra excited for bringing Futuridium on Vita, and we're adding a TON of stuff to the game. It's a bit too early to announce all the features but let's say that the version that's out now on PC/Mac/iOS is a bonus mode in this Deluxe edition. ;)

Will be happy to answer your questions about the game, I'm here!

Holy cow, I didn't know you guys were Italian. Don't own a Vita but I'm going to support the game on the Appstore right now and hopefully give you a good review and word of mouth over at the iOS thread and @GAF_iOS_scores

Game might even work for one of our weekly iOS GAF challenges from what I've seen of the trailer so far.
Either way, downloading now :)

SMK

This game actually reminds me of Solar Assault. Definitely interested in this because I loved Solar Assault and never really found a game similar to it.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Heya, Skyrise !! Since your here, I want to clarify things.

Is the UI touch only, buttons only, or both?
When I play the game there are no restrictions on brightness settings, correct?
If you give us a nice 60fps GIF to use I promise I'll do some promoting. I'm all for getting people to but reasonably priced good indie games.
Oh, and do you have a Twitter?

Don't worry about hijacking the thread.
We've been silent about it for a while, we started working on consoles a lot earlier than we anticipated and it blowed our minds (and our plans!).

We'll have more news on forma.8 by the end of the month. New announcement. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised! ;)
Can't wait. Keep up the awesome.

Skyrise

Holy cow, I didn't know you guys were Italian. Don't own a Vita but I'm going to support the game on the Appstore right now and hopefully give you a good review and word of mouth over at the iOS thread and @GAF_iOS_scores

Game might even work for one of our weekly iOS GAF challenges from what I've seen of the trailer so far.
Either way, downloading now :)

Yep, from Torino. :)

Cool, didn't know about iOS GAF challenges!
Hope you'll enjoy the game!

Skyrise

Ok, i'll share some thoughts I've had as I've played...

Early on I was a bit frustrated at the shortness of the gameplay segments. Crash, start over, crash, game over. Or miss, miss, crash, out of energy game over. I loved the flying experience and I love the ghost trails that show where you've been previously. I especially love threading the needle on structures. I grew frustrated at the briefness of the flying...

But as I got better at flying and playing the game I grew to appreciate the difficulty. I'm not 100% sure that I wouldn't mind it being a tad... different in terms of difficulty but I do like the game.

I know the vita version is coming soon and we don't know all of the modes and details but I'd be interested in some sort of free roam exploratory mode possibly. Some sort of longer experience. I dunno, the game is beautiful and a joy to play, i just want it to last longer. Take all of this with a grain of salt, maybe i just need to get better.

(FWIW i'm no stranger to hard and challenging games, i like a good challenge)

Thanks for the feedback, they're much appreciated. Expecially the critics. :)

Following after the quote...

awesome! anything you can share yet???

Oh, and any idea on a North America release date? thanks!

Let's say that the new campaign that's at the base at the PSVita version is tuned a bit differently. It introduces new gameplay mechanics, and it's a lot more suited for longer levels.
We're also introducing other modes with different features, some modes are even faster, others a lot more forgiving. ;)

Can't share a release date right now, but it's not too far away and we hope to have the game out at the same time on EU/USA (with the usual 1 day difference for the PSStore updates).

Skyrise

Heya, Skyrise !! Since your here, I want to clarify things.

Is the UI touch only, buttons only, or both?

Buttons and touch.
We made it ready with PSVita TV from the start. ;)

When I play the game there are no restrictions on brightness settings, correct?

Mmmm... I think I can't answer that one, sorry! :/

If you give us a nice 60fps GIF to use I promise I'll do some promoting. I'm all for getting people to but reasonably priced good indie games.
Oh, and do you have a Twitter?

Here we are, keep the seatbelt fastened! ;)

Made for NeoGAF!

GAF1.gif

GAF2.gif

GAF3.gif

We'll also put up a 60fps version of the trailer soon. ;)

About twitter: sure!

Official one:
@MixedBagGames

My one:
@skyrise77

Other 50% of MixedBag, Andrea Gellato (he's working on some cool 3d models for the game right now!):
@mauzed

We also have the usual FB page:
facebook.com/MixedBagGames

Thanks for the support!

wouwie

This definately caught my attention. The trailer is great. The game looks nice (fresh design and visuals) and seems fun. The soundtrack seems great too from what i've heard.

Seems like another great indie title for the Vita, next to OlliOlli and TxK (which were both fantastic).

edit: Also, Forma.8 looks interesting. Hopefully coming to Vita too? :)

Piccoro

It looks awesome, I'll buy it! Glad I clicked on this thread, subbed.
And it actually reminds me of the Mega-CD version of Silpheed:

SILPHEED050.jpg

Bikram

Wow.. the game looks sick. Downloading on Mac right away. Thanks for supporting the Vita will definitely buy it once it releases. :)

sajj316

Thanks for the gifs, I can watch them all day! Are there other genres you'd like to get into with this graphics style? Racing a la Virtua Racing ...

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Hey Skyrise, nice to have you here! Looking forward to this.

I was just wondering, did Shahid help you out? He seems to be doing a bloody amazing job of helping indie devs to the Vita, so was just being nosey!

Skyrise

This definately caught my attention. The trailer is great. The game looks nice (fresh design and visuals) and seems fun. The soundtrack seems great too from what i've heard.

Seems like another great indie title for the Vita, next to OlliOlli and TxK (which were both fantastic).

Thanks, those are big names, it's flattering just to have Futuridium mentioned in the same sentence.

edit: Also, Forma.8 looks interesting. Hopefully coming to Vita too? :)

Dunno... ;)

Skyrise

Thanks for the gifs, I can watch them all day! Are there other genres you'd like to get into with this graphics style? Racing a la Virtua Racing ...

Eheh, we'll post more in the future. ;)

We definitely hope so, it's a style that we like a lot and that was unused for such a long time, but it'll be definitely be for a future announcement.
First Futuridium PSVita, then forma.8. Then we'll see, but we'll be full of work 'till forma.8 cames out later this year.

Skyrise

I was just wondering, did Shahid help you out? He seems to be doing a bloody amazing job of helping indie devs to the Vita, so was just being nosey!

Yep, Shahid, his team and other amazing guys (hi Alessandro, hi Guy: they were the first to see the game in London) from SCEE.
They're doing an awesome job with indies.

Skyzard

Banned
^That they are. I think people are really starting to appreciate especially Shahid much more than before now too (on here), anyway.

Been playing a bit of the mac version (finally sorted appleid again ha) it's really awesome, can't wait for deluxe on vita! It'll be perfect on it.

Thanks for the gifs as well, Skyrise, they show off so much more for the lazies ;) added to the OP.

Absolutely loved Uridium during the Commodore days. Day one if this is anything like it. The screenies looks like something else though.

elhav

Buttons and touch.
We made it ready with PSVita TV from the start. ;)

Mmmm... I think I can't answer that one, sorry! :/

Made for NeoGAF!

GAF1.gif

GAF2.gif

GAF3.gif

Official one:
@MixedBagGames

My one:
@skyrise77

Other 50% of MixedBag, Andrea Gellato (he's working on some cool 3d models for the game right now!):
@mauzed

Thanks for the support!
It runs so smooth hnngh

todahawk

Thanks for the feedback, they're much appreciated. Expecially the critics. :)

Following after the quote...

Let's say that the new campaign that's at the base at the PSVita version is tuned a bit differently. It introduces new gameplay mechanics, and it's a lot more suited for longer levels.
We're also introducing other modes with different features, some modes are even faster, others a lot more forgiving. ;)

Can't share a release date right now, but it's not too far away and we hope to have the game out at the same time on EU/USA (with the usual 1 day difference for the PSStore updates).

Awesome, great to hear. Sounds like some of the new modes might be what I'm looking for.

Understood on the release date, I'm subbed to this thread and following Mixed Bag Games and yourself on twitter now :)

Buttons and touch.
*snip*

Made for NeoGAF!

GAF1.gif

GAF2.gif

GAF3.gif

Official one:
@MixedBagGames

My one:
@skyrise77

@mauzed

Thanks for the support!
*swoons*
oooooh damn! thanks for the gifs!

Oppo

But Wipeout 2048 already has Zone Mode ;)

Looks intriguing. Sort of like that Race The Sun kickstarter game, but really colourful.

Top Bottom