• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psytrance / Psybient music - any fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakitu

st5fu
This probably won't get many posts but there's a fanbase for pretty much everything on GAF so there should be for arguably the greatest and most under-appreciated genre in music.

I'll post some of my personal favourite albums and albums I believe should be worth anyone's time:

1b67c04d76a831439694d074a7ea7a31_full.jpg

3aad41174f5b280ad28c4787323b3f0e_full.jpg

skylon_138502.jpg

59ae03299be32ca4216337a6f29c74ca_full.jpg

inr1cd021_b.jpg

Bluetech+-+Sines+and+Singularities.jpg

esi4mb.jpg

And those are just a few. A lot of other great artists like Shpongle, Asura, Aes Dana, Solar Fields, Hol Baumann, Kick Bong, Loud, Androcell, Younger Brother, Tripswitch, Cell and artists that are no longer going like Vibrasphere (one of my favourites).

Any other fans? I'm dying for a new Shulman album / EP. In fact, I feel sad when I never see their respective websites updated with album news.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I'm big into ambient music in general, but not into the psychedelic side of it, or really any "psy-" influenced subgenre of other genres. Just not my cup of tea.

Shpongle can be pretty cool sometimes.

Raises hand*

theres a new shpongle album in the works! btw

Saw them live in Houston... was pure genius. No regrets. I haven't heard some of those artists so im about to check those out.

Big fan of old YB, OTT though. Not so much the new younger brother... the new album was awful

This is probably OTT's best song along with simon posford.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVLuXjQik9Y

injurai

Banned
I'm big into ambient music in general, but not into the psychedelic side of it, or really any "psy-" influenced subgenre of other genres. Just not my cup of tea.

Shpongle can be pretty cool sometimes.

yup, I've enjoyed what I've heard of them

Also PhuturePrimitive and Bluetech are great.

Looooove me some Psytrance (and Psybient too). My fav dance music sub-genre, next to D&B/Dubstep. I'll post tracks later, if this thread doesn't die by then.

accx

Back in '05 til about '07, psy was the bees knees for me.
Saw a bunch of the more mainstream acts (infected, skazi etc) live at the time..
Never got into Goa as much as i should. Loved Shpongle though.

This remix was one of my favorites back then
Infected Mushroom - Shakawkaw (vibe tribe remix)

and this.. shit, it feels like a lifetime since i heard this.
Infected Mushroom - I Wish (Skazi Remix)

I'm going to subscribe to the thread so i can name drop other artists later. Have my whole psy collection stored on my other desktop atm.

EDIT:
One of my favorite tunes with infected was 'cities of the future':
Infected Mushroom - Cities Of The Future

But i'll never forget when i was first introduced to the genre:
Infected Mushroom - Tommy The Bat

Lakitu

st5fu
Raises hand*

This is probably OTT's best song along with simon posford.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVLuXjQik9Y

Yeah, really love this song. Rogue Bagel's opening stirs up something in me every time. The whole song is amazing too. <3 Ott

Looooove me some Psytrance (and Psybient too). My fav dance music sub-genre, next to D&B/Dubstep. I'll post tracks later, if this thread doesn't die by then.

I'm still relatively new to the genre, I've only been listening for about a year and a half now. I also think Astral Projection is a popular choice and have some amazing dance tracks. I welcome any tracks posted in this thread by the way, I want more and more.

You would probably love L.E.D. and TaQ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ERRhYLE96E

Beatmania's full of the stuff.

This track sounds amazing. Thanks for posting. Have to go to bed in a minute but I'm gonna check out the rest of the tracks tomorrow.

Back in '05 til about '07, psy was the bees knees for me.
Saw a bunch of the more mainstream acts (infected, skazi etc) live at the time..
Never got into Goa as much as i should. Loved Shpongle though.

This remix was one of my favorites back then
Infected Mushroom - Shakawkaw (vibe tribe remix)

and this.. shit, it feels like a lifetime since i heard this.
Infected Mushroom - I Wish (Skazi Remix)

I'm going to subscribe to the thread so i can name drop other artists later. Have my whole psy collection stored on my other desktop atm.

I really like Infected Mushroom, also forgot to post them and of course Hallucinogen. My favourite IM track is Dancing with Kadafi.

I should also mention a new really good ambient album has been released - Connect.Ohm - [9980]. I listened to it last week and really enjoyed it. Here's the first track: Evolution 1:1 and the press release:

Ultimae proudly presents Connect.Ohm [ 9980 ] a collaborative album born of the musical encounter between composers Hidetoshi Koizumi aka Hybrid Leisureland and Alexandre Scheffer aka Cell respectively based in Tokyo and Paris.

The composers discovered each other's work through solo albums previously released on Ultimae, and on a brief meeting in Paris in 2011 decided to blend their worlds of sounds and textures. The outcome is subtle and emotive.

The nine tracks released on [ 9980 ] compose a ballad in atmospheric realms where finely chiseled rhythms and fluid melodies are sustained by discreet downtempo grooves and deep drones.

I was big into psytrance for about a year back in 2004. I kind of followed the genre for a few years but got tired of the same sounds/templates cropping up time and time again. I'm always looking for something that sounds fresh... has anything truly jaw dropping come out in the years since say 2006?

I still love the psybient stuff. I actually find a lot of it has less in common with psytrance than it does with IDM/electronica stuff (my favourite music!). Shpongle can be a bit too much for me sometimes (hate those bloody horns and the cheese factor) but I've had a lot of enjoyment out of Shulman, Bluetech, Kilowatts, Solar Fields, OTT etc.

Anyone who is a fan of this stuff, I'd heartily recommend tracking down Bola - Soup. It isn't psybient, but it evokes a similar mood and is absolutely one of my all time favourite albums. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKdufZcx3W8

Anyone who has any recommendations for anything in/near to this genre that is mystical without being cheesy be sure to drop some names!

I went through a big psytrance phase in high school. I wish there wasn't so much crap out there though, because while there's some really good stuff, finding what I wanted to hear was really difficult. Same goes for psybient.

Hallucinogen is by far my favorite in the genre. It's pretty menacing and dark and really tight, and I haven't heard much in the genre that rivals its composition, but I haven't been looking at all recently either. The Ott remixes are really cool too. My favorite psybient album is Solar Fields - Leaving Home but I haven't really found much to match that either. Carbon Based Lifeforms I thought was ok, but was kinda boring in comparison. I've also listened to some Aes Dana, Entheogenic, and Phutureprimitive, but couldn't get into 'em, and even Shpongle didn't really sit with me right. Any recs would be appreciated, and I'll check some of the previous posts out.

Lakitu

st5fu
OK, I smiled at that one.

I like Infected Mushroom, but other than that I'm not really familiar with the genre. Any recommendations? Preferrably something uptempo like IM's 'Becoming Insane'.

Infected Mushroom's style is definitely unique, especially the earlier stuff. It's hard to pin down some comparisons but maybe Hallucinogen? And Astral Projection if you're into dancey stuff. I'd also recommend Loud, Ott and Shulman have some great uptempo stuff like Mia Nihta Mono Den Ftani. Others probably have better recommendations than me though, I'm still relatively new to the genre. In fact there are already some great stuff in this thread I didn't listen to beforehand.

Appreciate your recommendations, the stuff in this thread should keep me busy for a couple of hours.

are CBL really considered psybient? i suppose maybe.

1200 mics - acid for nothing

one of my favorite psytrance jams.

Never heard of them but after that track, I'm going to definitely check them out. Thanks.

Also, their website identifies CBL as acid ambient but still, they deserve much love.

I was big into psytrance for about a year back in 2004. I kind of followed the genre for a few years but got tired of the same sounds/templates cropping up time and time again. I'm always looking for something that sounds fresh... has anything truly jaw dropping come out in the years since say 2006?

I still love the psybient stuff. I actually find a lot of it has less in common with psytrance than it does with IDM/electronica stuff (my favourite music!). Shpongle can be a bit too much for me sometimes (hate those bloody horns and the cheese factor) but I've had a lot of enjoyment out of Shulman, Bluetech, Kilowatts, Solar Fields, OTT etc.

Anyone who is a fan of this stuff, I'd heartily recommend tracking down Bola - Soup. It isn't psybient, but it evokes a similar mood and is absolutely one of my all time favourite albums. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKdufZcx3W8

Anyone who has any recommendations for anything in/near to this genre that is mystical without being cheesy be sure to drop some names!

Love that track, thanks.

If you love psybient you should definitely check out H.U.V.A. Network if you haven't already. It's a collaboration between Vincent Villius (Aes Dana) and Magnus Birgeson (Solar Fields). Here's the title track from one of their albums, also one of my favourites. It's so beautiful.

As for other recommendations, I'd also suggest Entheogenic if you can get into them. They're one of my favourites... some choice tracks:

Love Letters to the Soul (27 mins long but worth it)
Invisible Landscapes
Golden Cap
Without Thought
Kashmir Day Trip

I went through a big psytrance phase in high school. I wish there wasn't so much crap out there though, because while there's some really good stuff, finding what I wanted to hear was really difficult. Same goes for psybient.

Hallucinogen is by far my favorite in the genre. It's pretty menacing and dark and really tight, and I haven't heard much in the genre that rivals its composition, but I haven't been looking at all recently either. The Ott remixes are really cool too. My favorite psybient album is Solar Fields - Leaving Home but I haven't really found much to match that either. Carbon Based Lifeforms I thought was ok, but was kinda boring in comparison. I've also listened to some Aes Dana, Entheogenic, and Phutureprimitive, but couldn't get into 'em, and even Shpongle didn't really sit with me right. Any recs would be appreciated, and I'll check some of the previous posts out.

Solar Fields is pretty much the best IMO when it comes to psybient but Carbon Based Lifeforms are up there aswell for me. If you're looking for some other stuff in the genre I'd definitely recommend H.U.V.A Network, Cell and Asura.

Good shout with the Ott remixes of Hallucinogen's stuff. They're amazing. Among my favourites are his remixes of Angelic Particles and Gamma Goblins.

I've gotten in to pyschill, psydub and downtempo stuff lately, mainly after listening to this stunning live mix that I randomly found on SoundCloud one day!

http://soundcloud.com/psylicious/dryad-chapel-of-sacred-mirrors

Haven't heard of most of the stuff on there except for a few of them, will have to check that one.

Lots of great stuff being posted in this thread, even if the thread dies, I'm happy I've been able to hear some great tracks that I wouldn't have otherwise found.

Holy fuck how did I miss this thread a couple of days ago?
Love, love, love THIS GENRE!!!!!

Great albums in the OP and I will need to dig through the links.

Stuff I've been into lately:

Makyo - Pashyanti (Deeply Dub Mix)
Yagya - When They Stood...
Pitch Black - Warp Technique
Ambeam - Tsahaylu
Ambeam - Exoplanet
Koan - Flying Cities
Sounds From the Ground - Razz
Namlook/MOve D - Sphare III
Guy J - My Thoughts of You
Guy J - High
Zero Cult - Broken Hope
Tycho - The Disconnect
Cosmosis - Tim's Trip

I've been on a Ambeam, Guy J and Peter Namlook kick lately. I would definitely agree that the tops in the genre are - Simon Posford (Shpongle/YoungerBrother/Hallucinogen), Carbon Based Lifeforms, Entheogenic, Solar Fields & OTT. Carbon Based Lifeforms is probably my all time favorite. I can't get into Infected Mushroom for some reason - they stress me out.

Ambeam - Tsahaylu
Ambeam - Exoplanet
Koan - Flying Cities
Guy J - High
Zero Cult - Broken Hope
Tycho - The Disconnect
Cosmosis - Tim's Trip

I've been on a Ambeam, Guy J and Peter Namlook kick lately. I would definitely agree that the tops in the genre are - Simon Posford (Shpongle/YoungerBrother/Hallucinogen), Carbon Based Lifeforms, Entheogenic, Solar Fields & OTT. Carbon Based Lifeforms is probably my all time favorite. I can't get into Infected Mushroom for some reason - they stress me out.

How dare you mention Guy J without mentioning Sahara!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZk7hZEZyh4

Masterful!

Lakitu

st5fu

Ambeam - Tsahaylu
Ambeam - Exoplanet
Koan - Flying Cities
Guy J - High
Zero Cult - Broken Hope
Tycho - The Disconnect
Cosmosis - Tim's Trip

Great to see another fan here! Not many places on the web to talk about it, or at least I haven't found any.

Just about to listen to the songs you've recommended, love Makyo and Zero Cult. There's so much good stuff in this thread that will get into my listening rotation. I've always been looking for new stuff and unsuccessful sometimes so this thread is great for me.

Really getting into 1200 Micrograms from this thread aswell for my psytrance kick, going to buy a couple of albums, not sure where to start though.

And you sir have great taste, I love CBL. World of Sleepers is one of my favourite albums ever but that's not to say the rest of the stuff isn't as good, they're incredible. Sweden has provided two of the best ambient acts with CBL and Solar Fields.

Thanks for this, I'll check out that podcast.

How do you guys feel about Androcell? I mentioned him earlier but I really love his stuff.

A few choice tracks:
Molecular Sunrise
Atmos-spheres
Opium Swirl
Seahorse Dreams (my favourite track of his)
Dub Crystals

Definitely need to include some essentials:

fLBBW.png

Shpongle

A New Way to Say Hooray
Divine Moments of Truth (DMT)
Nothing Is Something Worth Doing
Invisible Man in a Fluorescent Suit
Shpongle Falls

qGDxD.jpg

Carbon Based Lifeforms

Photosynthesis
Abiogenesis
MOS 6581
Tensor
Central Plain

ZGWF6.jpg

Solar Fields

Insum
Discovering
Cosmic Dessert
Cruise
Air Song

Will add more later!

How do you guys feel about Androcell? I mentioned him earlier but I really love his stuff.

A few choice tracks:
Molecular Sunrise
Atmos-spheres
Opium Swirl
Seahorse Dreams (my favourite track of his)
Dub Crystals

I haven't heard much Androcell, so thanks for the suggestions. The problem with this genre is that can can veer into New Agey cheese, so it takes a lot of patience to weed through the stuff.

tokkun

I don't really understand what this genre is.

I have been listening to Infected Mushroom for a decade, but I never found them particularly 'psychadelic' or understood why they weren't just called 'trance' (and in fact they were until the term 'psytrance' was invented).

I was also a fan of Astral Projection back in the 90s, and they certainly did have a psychadelic sound, but back then that was considered to be Goa. Is Psytrance just a renaming of Goa, or are they supposed to be different genres? Is this just another electronic music micro-genre wank?

I don't really understand what this genre is.

I have been listening to Infected Mushroom for a decade, but I never found them particularly 'psychadelic' or understood why they weren't just called 'trance' (and in fact they were until the term 'psytrance' was invented).

I was also a fan of Astral Projection back in the 90s, and they certainly did have a psychadelic sound, but back then that was considered to be Goa. Is Psytrance just a renaming of Goa, or are they supposed to be different genres? Is this just another electronic music micro-genre wank?

Yeah, it's definitely a micro-genre wank, but I think there are 2 or 3 different fans within it:

1.) early GOA trance fans - stemming from the 90s drug-fueled dance scene
2.) Ambient/Psybient/Dub/Chill/Downtempo fans - Descendants of The Orb, Brian Eno, Pink Floyd and Tangerine Dream style music.
3.) Progressive Trance fans - i.e. artists like Hybrid and BT sometimes breech this "Psytrance" area.

SomaFM seems to be a major nexus for fans of this kind of music, but I've never checked them out.

Lakitu

st5fu
I've always had difficulty in labelling this type of music but teruterubozu seems to have nailed it.

Definitely need to include some essentials:

fLBBW.png

Shpongle

A New Way to Say Hooray
Divine Moments of Truth (DMT)
Nothing Is Something Worth Doing
Invisible Man in a Fluorescent Suit
Shpongle Falls

qGDxD.jpg

Carbon Based Lifeforms

Photosynthesis
Abiogenesis
MOS 6581
Tensor
Central Plain

ZGWF6.jpg

Solar Fields

Insum
Discovering
Cosmic Dessert
Cruise
Air Song

Will add more later!

I haven't heard much Androcell, so thanks for the suggestions. The problem with this genre is that can can veer into New Agey cheese, so it takes a lot of patience to weed through the stuff.

Great suggestions by the way.

I bought Solar Fields new album recently though and I've had trouble getting into it. Don't think it's near his best work personally. Replayed Mirror's Edge a couple of weeks ago and loved his work on that though.

And yeah it is difficult but very rewarding when you find some amazing stuff.

Since we're all posting suggestions, I'll post some Shulman tracks for those who might be interested:
Transmissions in Bloom (ALive Mix)
Mia Nihta Mono Don Ftani
Consciousness Revoked
Odd Reflections
A Magnificent Void

Lakitu

st5fu
Sorry to bump up an old thread but I'm happy to say the new Shpongle album has a release date: Monday, July 29th, 2013! I've been waiting for this for a while. It's my most anticipated album for a long long time.

Here's the news article on Shpongle.com:

Shpongle_350_1.jpg

Would you like to have your Amygdala tickled? Or watch a Jellyfish jump up a mountain? Perhaps you would rather feel like a brain floating in a fish tank, or watch molecules being juggled..A room with an Epiphany…or maybe an Extra-Celestial Aquatic Garden?..these and other Adventures in Shpongleland, can be found in….......

‘MUSEUM of CONSCIOUSNESS’

The ground breaking new new album from Shpongle

A Gigantic sound complex, with each room a different and unique experience into higher multi dimensional realms.
There are many corridors and mazes, but you have access to 7 of these rooms…..come and enjoy….RR

Starting on June 4th, you will be able to pre order the incredible new album ‘Museum Of Consciousness’ from Shpongle and receive it on the day of release - (July 29th 2013) There will be a limited Edition of both CD and Vinyl LP which will include an animated 3D lenticular cover.

The various editions that will be available are described on the site including a limited edition CD release (1000 only) with 3d lenticular cover, vinyl (750 only) and digital download. And on June 4th, when you pre-order, you get a new track instantly from the new album in .mp3 format. Can't wait!

Nice update Lakitu!

Yup, can't wait! Looks like the pre-order page is not up yet, so no new track today :(

Ready to get mind-fucked!

Lakitu

st5fu
Thanks!

Well, the pre-order page is going up tonight at 11:00pm GMT with a new track :) Looking forward to it.

V_Arnold

This is my favorite genre/subgenre/whatever right now.

I keep finding new music from Ektoplazm, and the quality is absolutely good if you know what you already like.

If you have no idea where to start, read this where there are recommendations.

http://www.ektoplazm.com/blog/a-beginners-guide-to-ektoplazm

Also, cant wait for the new Shpongle album, they seem like gods that cannot miss. Just looking at their track record (Younger Brother, all Shpongle albums), it is surreal.

Espresso

Banned
Psychill is my second most listened to station on Digitally Imported after Chillout Dreams. I really dig Goa trance from the early to mid '90s.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
my dad gave me his old internet radio for my kitchen and I've been listening to a psy-trance channel called Chromonova a lot. It's great background music for making food n whatnot. I don't know any of the artists or tracks they play though, I like to just assume it's this continuous mix that I'm only hearing a snippet of.

Lakitu

st5fu
Good to see there's more fans.

7 more hours until the pre-order page comes up.

This is my favorite genre/subgenre/whatever right now.

I keep finding new music from Ektoplazm, and the quality is absolutely good if you know what you already like.

If you have no idea where to start, read this where there are recommendations.

http://www.ektoplazm.com/blog/a-beginners-guide-to-ektoplazm

Also, cant wait for the new Shpongle album, they seem like gods that cannot miss. Just looking at their track record (Younger Brother, all Shpongle albums), it is surreal.

Thanks, I'll check it out now that I have some free time.

And agreed on the last point. Simon Posford is a genius.

Mindlog

The DI station gets regular play. This thread looks like one of my playlists. I will definitely be grabbing that new Shpongle album.

Lakitu

st5fu
Just checked out some stuff on Ektoplazm, as recommended by V_Arnold. Can't believe I didn't find this website sooner. It's really damn good and a great way to promote artists.

I saw the recommendation list and I saw Globular first, what caught my eye were the comparisons to Shpongle and Ott plus mentions of downtempo and dub. I'm listening to it now and I'm loving it.

Solar Fields, and Carbon Based Lifeforms do love.

Hey, you might like the Carbon Based Lifeforms + Solar Fields collaboration, T.S.R.

T.S.R. - ÄGGET - Preview

I love Infected Mushroom. Need to check out their recent EP and upcoming EP. Apparently there's a rumour going around that one of them will feature a collaboration with Shpongle / Simon Posford.

Also, forgot to mention a couple of recent releases that are on Bandcamp:
Phutureprimitive - Searching for Beauty in the Darkest Places - Part 1
Entheogenic - Anthropormorphic

drPepper

Banned
Good picks. And The Day Turned to Night is simply epic!

I'm going to get Shpongled in a bit... a couple of my favourites:
Behind Closed Eyelids
My Head Feels Like a Frisbee
Electroplasm

I am so damn hyped for Museum of Consciousness.

Definitely hyped for the new shongle album. But damn they need to release the Younger Brother Vaccine electronic album already!!!!!

Shpongle - Around the world in a tea daze

If any of you get the chance to see Shpongle live... Do it! I have seen them twice in London and it was just magical. Great show and hearing this kind of music live is just awesome.

Huge fan, I listen to goa psy and progressive psy all the time on di.fm. I feel like I'm the only American I know that knows about this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom