• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psytrance / Psybient music - any fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakitu

st5fu
Definitely hyped for the new shongle album. But damn they need to release the Younger Brother Vaccine electronic album already!!!!!

Shpongle - Around the world in a tea daze

If any of you get the chance to see Shpongle live... Do it! I have seen them twice in London and it was just magical. Great show and hearing this kind of music live is just awesome.

Yeah, would be a dream come true for me... they've got one on in October and nobody I know wants to go. :(

Speak of Vaccine (Electronic), they're streaming from the studio while working on it.

When I was just getting into Shpongle I saw a poster for their live show in Atlanta (where I live) on a bulletin board...that took place the day before I noticed it. I was so upset!

Lakitu

st5fu
I've been getting into Eat Static lately - former members of Ozric Tentacles:

UFO Over Trenchtown
Valley of the Moon
The First Revelation
The Tenth Planet

Been wanting to check them out after hearing their remix of And The Day Turned to Night. Thanks for the links!

WTF, thankfully he doesnt sing often. lol
I bumped into him once at the aftershow party of the shpongle concert, super nice dude!

Haha yeah, he seems like such a funny and genuine guy, not surprised. He just put the stream on Benji while he was having a piss lol.

drPepper

Banned
Been wanting to check them out after hearing their remix of And The Day Turned to Night. Thanks for the links!

Haha yeah, he seems like such a funny and genuine guy, not surprised. He just put the stream on Benji while he was having a piss lol.

I really love how they are getting more open during production of their albums. Waiting for the release just gets a bit easier if you have constant updates about their work.

Lakitu

st5fu
Those Eat Static tracks you posted are hitting the spot, teruterubozu. I'm gonna look into their discography tonight and sample some more of their stuff on Youtube. Tenth Planet is so fucking good.

Decided to share some that I liked that people may or may not have heard of:

Son Kite

DJ Meghan

DJ Banel

Rafael Frost

I'll add a few more later if you guys are interested.

Edit: these were just some random picks from the artists, but I noticed some of them were long so it should be good representation.

I'm about a third of the way through on Son Kite's album and I'm really enjoying it. Thanks for the recommendations! Keep them coming, thanks to this thread I've learned about many new artists.

I really love how they are getting more open during production of their albums. Waiting for the release just gets a bit easier if you have constant updates about their work.

Yeah, I love this too. Hope they keep on doing it. I love the insight into the process and see how Simon works is great.

Definitely hyped for the new shongle album. But damn they need to release the Younger Brother Vaccine electronic album already!!!!!

Shpongle - Around the world in a tea daze

If any of you get the chance to see Shpongle live... Do it! I have seen them twice in London and it was just magical. Great show and hearing this kind of music live is just awesome.

Man, I missed them when they came to the East Coast about 2 years ago. I'm just DYING to see the whole production. The new album should launch a tour so I'm getting psyched.

OP nailed it with Carbon Based Lifeforms.

I love Carbon Based Lifeforms. Sometimes I get tired of too much Psybient, but CBL never gets old. Gothenberg, Sweden is a weird place - it's like the capital of ambient electronica and death metal. I bet the club scene there is amazing.

Huge fan, I listen to goa psy and progressive psy all the time on di.fm. I feel like I'm the only American I know that knows about this stuff.

It sucks because the genre is not big in the US. There's a substantial following in Europe, Israel & Japan but none of the acts really tour the US - sometimes an act or two slip in an electronica Fest. Shpongle and Infected Mushroom are really the only ones who have some regular touring in the US.

Thanks for this thread, I've been looking for some other artists to listen to

I've been hearing a lot of Dapanji lately. I don't think a lot of people know about him, but he has some great tracks

Dapanji - Brain Damage
Dapanji - LSD
ShiBass vs Dapanji - Yabadabadoo

I'm more of a chill ambient guy but I do get into some of the GOA-Rave aspects of Psytrance. What's great is "Psybient/Psytrance" means so many things to people and nobody sweats it like other genre snobs. Basically it comes down to electronica that is EXTRA TRIPPY & takes you on a JOURNEY. I also think there's a higher expectation of musicianship too - it's not just mindless 4-beat "party" music. To me it's the PROG ROCK of electronica (not to be confused w/Progressive Trance).

System 7 is another "old hippie dudes doing electronica" you should check out too. They're a bit more guitar-focused so it has plenty of cool delay-reverb arpeggio stuff going on.

Decided to share some that I liked that people may or may not have heard of:

Son Kite

DJ Meghan

DJ Banel

Rafael Frost

I'll add a few more later if you guys are interested.

Edit: these were just some random picks from the artists, but I noticed some of them were long so it should be good representation.

I really like Son Kite and DJ Meghan! Nice - keep them coming man! I need more tunes!

Lakitu

st5fu
Yeah, it's amazing. The electronic part towards the end combined with the samples blew me away, insane haha. Damn, I can't wait! Also nice to hear some more of Michele Adamson's vocals :) Really nice.

Here's the whole track list (WTF at these titles lol):
1 - Brain in a Fish Tank
2 - How the Jellyfish Jumped Up the Mountain
3 - Juggling Molecules
4 - The Aquatic Garden of Extra-Celestial Delights
5 - Further Adventures in Shpongleland
6 - The Epiphany of Mrs Kugla
7 - Tickling the Amygdala

July 29th is so far away :(

jambo

Listening to the Goa Mix at work today

1-01: Mr. V - Give Me Life
1-02: Grace - Skin On Skin (Orange Mix)
1-03: Li Kwan - Point Zero
1-04: The Disco Evangelists - De Niro (Spaceflight Mix)
1-05: Virtual Symmetry - The V.S.
1-06: Vangelis - Tears In Rain
1-07: Salt Tank - Eugina (Pacific Diva)
1-08: Hallucinogen feat. Ben Kempton - LSD
1-09: Saint Etienne feat. Moira Lambert - Only Love Can Break Your Heart
1-10: Wojciech Kilar - Vampire Hunters
1-11: Electrotete - Alcatraz
1-12: Vangelis - Bladerunner Main Titles
1-13: Man With No Name - Floor Essence
1-14: Scorpio Rising - Dubcatcher
1-15: Man With No Name - Evolution

2-01: Metalheads - Inner City Life
2-02: Wojciech Kilar - Love Remembered
2-03: Voodoo People - Co-Incidence
2-04: The Infinity Project - Stimuli
2-05: Trance Team - Wake Up! (Trance Mix)
2-06: V-Tracks - Heretic Voices (Angeles Mix)
2-07: Marmion - Schöneberg (Marmion Remix)
2-08: Karl Biscuit - Hierophone
2-09: Vangelis - Rachel's Song
2-10: Virus - Sun (Oakenfold & Osborne Mix)
2-11: Man With No Name - Deliverance
2-12: Perfecto Allstarz - Reach Up! (Indian Summer Mix)
2-13: Para-Dizer - Song Of Liberation
2-14: Dead Can Dance - Sanvean
2-15: 4Voice - Eternal Spirit (Northern Mix)
2-16: Man With No Name - Sugar Rush

Just amazing

Lakitu

st5fu
Short snippets (30 seconds) of each track are up on Amazon. The track times are there too but it seems like this is going to be the shortest Shpongle album, even shorter than Tales of the Inexpressible. Hmm.

drPepper

Banned
I just preordered the wav version. I will try to not listen to any of the songs until the whole album releases. Going to be tough though.

V_Arnold

Just checked out some stuff on Ektoplazm, as recommended by V_Arnold. Can't believe I didn't find this website sooner. It's really damn good and a great way to promote artists.

I saw the recommendation list and I saw Globular first, what caught my eye were the comparisons to Shpongle and Ott plus mentions of downtempo and dub. I'm listening to it now and I'm loving it.

Now it is my turn to listen to some Globular. Another music that has some resemblance to Shpongle is Zoungla (hah!) - the whole album is up in Youtube and on Ektoplazm as well. It feels very fresh to me, for some reason. Especially this one :D

A few recommendations: Deto and Gleam: Archives , Koan: The Signs - Entanglement, Interconnekted - Musical Meditation.

Lakitu

st5fu
Now it is my turn to listen to some Globular. Another music that has some resemblance to Shpongle is Zoungla (hah!) - the whole album is up in Youtube and on Ektoplazm as well. It feels very fresh to me, for some reason. Especially this one :D

A few recommendations: Deto and Gleam: Archives , Koan: The Signs - Entanglement, Interconnekted - Musical Meditation.

Cheers, I'll check those out when I get the chance. Always looking for that next Shpongle or Ott, although they'll be very hard to top.

So tempting.... Dammit!

Yeah, it seems you can also skip to any part of the track aswell for a 30 second sample. Never seen anything like that before, didn't do it though, don't want to spend too much time listening to low quality samples although everything I've heard sounds amazing. I checked out a few of them though, my favourites being The Aquatic Garden of Extra-Celestial Delights and Tickling the Amygdala. Amazing stuff. While I'd say Brain in a Fishtank seems similar to their older stuff, the other stuff just sounds really different. I love it. Can't wait to hear all albums back to back and hear their evolution. Going to do that before July 29th.

drPepper

Banned
Cheers, I'll check those out when I get the chance. Always looking for that next Shpongle or Ott, although they'll be very hard to top.

Yeah, it seems you can also skip to any part of the track aswell for a 30 second sample. Never seen anything like that before, didn't do it though, don't want to spend too much time listening to low quality samples although everything I've heard sounds amazing. I checked out a few of them though, my favourites being The Aquatic Garden of Extra-Celestial Delights and Tickling the Amygdala. Amazing stuff. While I'd say Brain in a Fishtank seems similar to their older stuff, the other stuff just sounds really different. I love it. Can't wait to hear all albums back to back and hear their evolution. Going to do that before July 29th.

Thats what i am going to do tonight after work. A nice big fat Jay and Shpongle albums. Cant wait.

Pete Rock

Thank you for the thread! I hope Simon does another Shpongletron type tour, I just love everything about the genre and am thrilled to hear new material from the master :)

Shulman, Shpongle, Ott, Phutureprimitive, Bluetech, glad to see these mentioned right away. Entheogenic as well, I see they were already mentioned but they also release new material this year that was a nice surprise.

To be fair, echoing a few other comments here, there is a lot of "garbage" most listeners probably associate with this genre label. I know that even as someone who was involved or oriented with counter culture for most of his youth, anything labeled "trance" or "goa" was explicitly not for me. Personally as I have evolved and explored the various sub genres that really only means anything retaining an unce/euro/trance "core" (unrelenting) sound ala Juno Reactor. Fuck that noise, now and forever. I will never like it and I don't ever expect to.

However, anything that is oriented around DUB, as opposed to "techno", and crosses into psychedelia is nearly always delicious mind candy:

Lushlife Project
Gaudi
Waterjuice
Jens Buchert
Kaya Project
Sounds From The Ground
African Head Charge
Random Rab
Backini
Kick Bong
Kukan Dub Lagan
Kuba
Capsula
The Kumba Mela Experiment
Third Ear Audio
Pitch Black
Easily Embarrassed
Adrian Sherwood
Dub Trees
Drumspyder
Soulacybin
Androcell
Peaking Goddess Collective
Mythematica
Desert Dwellers
Outersect
Side Liner

Happy Evolution :)

Lakitu

st5fu
God, so much music to catch up on lol. I'm still listening to Globular, Son Kite and Eat Static. Going to buy a few of their albums. Thanks to everyone in this thread for recommending music. when I started this thread, I barely scratched the surface. Getting deeper and deeper in this fantastic genre.

Gonna start clicking links :)

Lakitu

st5fu
Yeah it's out, really nice surprise. Haven't listened to it yet but I'll post my impressions later for sure when I get a chance. I'm so hyped.

I listened to it a couple of times. Initial impressions: It's good, but as of now I wouldn't rank it in the top echelons of Shpongleland. In short, it's a good collection of driving Shpongle jams with all the signature tribal rhythms and stutter effects. But I feel like it lacks the compositional sophistication of Simon's finest moments where he surprises or even injects the creepy/strange/alien element. It's a "fun & groovy" record. Dare I say it's Shpongle's most "accessible" record? Perhaps so, and I can see Simon moving in that direction especially with what he did with Younger Brother. It's not the transcendental and "transporting the mind" record that I hoped but it's a good representation of Shpongle's more playful side. Of course, I'll have it on heavy rotation here all summer/fall so my opinions are likely to change.

The Aquatic Garden of Extra Celestial Delights is my favorite song right now. Amazing!

Lakitu

st5fu
Great impressions teruterubozu. :)

Well, I'm probably a Shpongle fanboy lol but I'm in love with it. Listened to it 3 times today. I do agree it's the shortest of them all though, there is definitely room for one more track in there. But what it lacks in length, it makes up in quality IMO.

It's going to need to sink in but the album instantly clicked with me. I wouldn't even know where to rank it but my immediate thought is that it's better than Ineffable Mysteries by far. The album has an intensity which I feel kind of lacked in Ineffable Mysteries. Juggling Molecules and Ticking the Amygdala are among my favourite Shpongle tracks ever. I find every track to be quite memorable aswell.

Going to give it a 4th listen tomorrow. Can't believe it's out. They're already talking about Shpongle 6 lol or at least Raja Ram is.

V_Arnold

This year, man...new Shpongle album, new Delerium album. And from the looks of it, both delivered.

(Also, Consciousness of Love and Museum of Consciousness, hell yeah! :D)

Bump -

Shpongle US Tour announced!!!
Featuring Shpongletron 3.0!!!

http://shponglemusic.com/

2/12
Boston, MA
House of Blues

2/13
Wesbury, NY
The Space at Westbury

2/14
Washington, DC
9:30 Club

2/15 *
Austin, TX
Crown Events Center

2/16
Asheville, NC
The Orange Peel

2/17
Knoxville, TN
NV Nightclub

2/19
Charlotte, NC
Amo's Southend

2/20
Jacksonville Beach, FL
Freebird Live

2/21
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Revolution

2/22
St. Petersburg, FL
The State Theatre

2/23
Orlando, FL
The Plaza Live

2/25
Chattanooga, TN

2/26
Nashville, TN
Marathon Music Works

2/27
Memphis, TN
Minglewood Hall

2/28
New Orleans, LA
Civic Theatre

3/1
Houston, TX
House of Blues

3/2
Dallas, TX
Tree's

3/5
Albuquerque, NM
Sunshine Theatre

3/6
Flagstaff, AZ
Orpheum Theater

3/7
Tempe, AZ
The Marquee

3/8
San Diego, CA
House of Blues

3/9
Santa Ana, CA
The Observatory

3/11
Santa Cruz, CA
The Catalyst

3/12
Los Angeles, CA
Avalon

3/13
San Francisco, CA
Regency Ballroom

3/14
Arcata, CA
Arcata Theatre

3/15
Portland, OR
Roseland Theater

3/16
Seattle, WA
Neptune

3/18
Missoula, MT
The Wilma Theater

3/21
Omaha, NE
The Waiting Room

3/22
Minneapolis, MN
Skyway Theatre

3/23
Des Moines, IA
Wooly's

3/25
Milwaukee, WI
The Rave

3/26
Madison, WI
Majestic Theater

3/27
Lafayette, IN
Lafayette Theater

3/28
Chicago, IL
Concord Music Hall

3/29
Pontiac, MI
The Crofoot

3/30
Pittsburgh, PA
Mr. Smalls Theatre

4/1
Northampton, MA
Pearl Street

4/2
New Haven, CT
Toad's Place

4/3
New York, NY
Irving Plaza

4/4
New York, NY
Irving Plaza

4/5
Philadelphia, PA
Electric Factory

Just purchased Boston tickets - so ready to get Shpongled!

559pYcO.jpg
Shpongletron 2.0

Solar Fields, Carbon Based Lifeforms, for real!

Edit: Holy shit, same message I pretty much posted in this thread months ago.

Sorry about that.

Pete Rock

Shpongletron is worth seeing in your lifetime, I recommend a costume and a gang of friends, it is like a psyrave scene. I saw him up in Chicago the first tour, Random Rab was the opener, and it was amazing! Definitely the best incorporation of a three dimensional dj booth/physical stage set and projection mapped visual overlays I have ever seen. Thanks for the heads up, going to hit at least one, hopefully two of those dates. Squeeee my head feels like a frisbeeee

Shpongletron is worth seeing in your lifetime, I recommend a costume and a gang of friends, it is like a psyrave scene. I saw him up in Chicago the first tour, Random Rab was the opener, and it was amazing! Definitely the best incorporation of a three dimensional dj booth/physical stage set and projection mapped visual overlays I have ever seen. Thanks for the heads up, going to hit at least one, hopefully two of those dates. Squeeee my head feels like a frisbeeee

I am so psyched for this. I missed the last time he came through here. I'm an old man so I won't be in a rave costume, but I am looking forward to the spectacle. It's the House of Blues so I doubt it'll get too crazy, but we'll see. I am ready for my Divine Moment of Truth.

Lakitu

st5fu
I'd love to see the Shpongletron and Shpongle live at some point, unfortunately events this past year has made sure there's no chance of that. Hope they come to Troxy at some point again or anywhere else in London.

Damn good to see this thread again though, thanks for the bump.

I've been checking out much of Simon Posford's older work, along with stuff involved with Raja Ram and Graham Wood.

Here's a few that come to mind:
The Infinity Project - Under the Overtones. You should check out Mystical Experiences, if you already haven't. This is the longest track on the album by far but I love it all. May have already posted this one though.
The Mystery of the Yeti - The Mystery of the Yeti, such a great album.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iorSbFmMNu0 - La Rosa (Messianic Dub Mix) and Orpheus (Urban Primitive Dub Mix) Probably the darkest track on the album but it's incredible. Dat buildup. Check out Nature Never Did Betray The Heart That Loved Her if you're into that psychedelic dub sound. Been listening to it for a good few months.
Also Simon Posford's work as Walter Ego - Purple Pygmies, Dubstuff, We're High
Industrial Suicide Tribe - Aqua Sufi
And finally if you're into Simon Posford, definitely check out his PsyAmb mix. In fact, PsyAmb has so many fantastic mixes for you to check out, if you're looking for something new or just starting to look around in the genre.

Finally, I couldn't make a post without recommending the new Globular album (thanks to Gaf for this one), Magnitudes of Order. It's been on repeat for the last few days, it's brilliant.

a1064432671_2.jpg

This thread has tempted me to go home and shove on Hallucinogen's The Lone Deranger. Unfortunately, it's almost midnight and i think my landlord, housemates and neighbours would freak the fuck out.

Also, almost everything that was released under the Matsuri Rēcords imprimatur was solid gold psytrance.

Lately I've been listening to Entheogenic Sound Explorers, which is pretty nice stuff sort of reminiscent of FSOL.

The new Sounds From The Ground album was decent (they tend to be pretty dependable) and I've really been enjoying the new Bluetech as well.

Thanks for the Posford/Ram backlog suggestions, Lakitu! I'm only familiar with Younger Brother, Hallucinogen, 1200 Micrograms and Yeti project.

Quintessence - Wonders of the Universe

This is my fave track off Raja Ram's Anthology album. Amazing.

Whoa! LOL. Raja's hippie side!

I've been listening to a lot of Space Station channel on SoMaFM lately and have tagged a few obscure ones:

Kilowatts - Astral Accident
Easily Embarrassed - Sylphesizer
The Peaking Goddess Collective - Hyperspace
Waterjuice - Liquid Journeys
Cosmic Replicant - Sunshine Way
Desert Dwellers - Misty Mountain
Outersect - Patchouli Scented Plastic
Zymosis - God Is Mine (DJ Zen Extended Remix) Part 1
Zymosis - God Is Mine (DJ Zen Extended Remix) Part 2

i've never been a huge psytrance fan, despite playing at many psytrance parties (acid house/techno was more my thing. psychedelic in the old sense) but I did work a bunch of these parties also and i'd just like to say that simon posford is one of the nicest fellows i've ever had the honour of plugging a synthesizer in for. plus he drew pretty flowers all over my sh-101.

also, in a weird twist, Raja Ram is cousin to a philosophy lecturer i once had.

If you're in the Boulder, CO area, this show is going to be absolutely insane - the biggest psychedelic event of the year! (apart from Burning Man of course)

Shpongle FULL BAND + Emancipator w/band!!!!

E4kaBgm.jpg

Only one show in Simon's US tour will feature the full band set and this is it! With RAJA RAM!!

The night before they will be performing AS HALLUCINOGEN!!!

I'm going to the regular Boston show, but any Psytrance/Psybient fan around the West will be crazy to miss this once in a lifetime party (at least while Raja is standing!).

These guys may be a bit more space/psy rock than trance, but their most recent album (linked) definitely crosses over a bit. These guys are absolutely awesome; they have over 20 albums and they're all good:
Ozric Tentacles, Paper Monkeys

Edit: They're kind of like shpongle in a lot of ways, if that sways you to listen :p

These guys may be a bit more space/psy rock than trance, but their most recent album (linked) definitely crosses over a bit. These guys are absolutely awesome; they have over 20 albums and they're all good:
Ozric Tentacles, Paper Monkeys

Edit: They're kind of like shpongle in a lot of ways, if that sways you to listen :p

Yeah, Ozric Tentacles are amazing. I love Jurassic Shift. I was actually into Ozric before I got into all this other stuff since I come more from a heavy metal background.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi7VPXmbxME

You should also check out Eat Static - they're former Ozric members who do electronic psytrance music in the same progressive style. Posted some examples here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=61441617&postcount=57

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom