• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUBG is now the biggest game on Steam in history | over 2m CCU, beats Dota 2 peak

vocab

I can't talk about control but PUBG does look way better than CSGO.

Yes and no. It being on unreal 4 has the potential of higher quality assets, but PUBG has horrible visual clarity compared to CS. The fact that a lot of people use reshade to see better in this game is proof enough. Both games have force post processing which make it look blurry and washed out, but in pubg's case it's even worse because of the distances that are played.

frbrr

Yes and no. It being on unreal 4 has the potential of higher quality assets, but PUBG has horrible visual clarity compared to CS. The fact that a lot of people use reshade to see better in this game is proof enough.

to be fair, a lot of people use digital vibrance in cs to get the same result because reshade isn't "vac safe"

Vipu

Banned
Tell me that pubg is ugly.

CSGO

ZR1Dkyk.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

PUBG

Arulan

I'm not understanding the complaints towards CS:GO's controls. It's what a FPS designed for mouse and keyboard should be, unlike most AAA titles that prioritize presentation and production values over everything else. PUBG is a good example as well, though its design roots and priorities are a little different coming from Arma. There are a few changes like vaulting though that are welcomed and mark the difference between the needs Arma and PUBG.

Clearos

Game is so much fun. On bad nights I want to play more to get better. When I get a chicken dinner I want to play again because I didn't play perfect and could of had more kills.

On a juvenile note, I want it to get past 2 mil just to hear more excuses.

Neith

Banned

CSGO

PUBG

It just needs more polish in areas. It definitely is a huge step up from CSGO, which looks ancient by comparison.

Yes and no. It being on unreal 4 has the potential of higher quality assets, but PUBG has horrible visual clarity compared to CS. The fact that a lot of people use reshade to see better in this game is proof enough. Both games have force post processing which make it look blurry and washed out, but in pubg's case it's even worse because of the distances that are played.

CSGO looks like a game made 10 years ago with better resolution lol.

Xyber

CSGO looks like a game made 10 years ago with better resolution lol.

I don't really understand why PUBG is compared to CSGO in the graphics department. CS never aimed for looking pretty, it's a very competitive shooter where performance and good
visibility is a high priority (something Bluehole should start focusing on...). Not adding more shaders to make the game look nice.

It kind of does look way better than CS:GO though... not sure how that's even debatable.

I mean... it's based on newer engine tech, but counter-strike is a much nicer looking game still imho.

Just the art and assets in PUBG all feel... pre-fabricated?

Purely technically speaking, it's leagues ahead of counter-strike though...

The one benefit from the low graphics in CSGO is that you can hit high framerates even on a cheap ass PC. It makes the gameplay smooth as hell.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

XTnsmE2.jpg

The problem is no one actually plays PUBG on ultra/4K, well apart from people using absolute top end hardware. I can't even get 60fps stable on very low with a GTX 970 since the last patch which crippled performance due to forced PP. In the screenshot you can see they're getting 21fps which is unplayable.

Vipu

Banned
Whoa hold on there

Is vaulting really coming end of month?

"The algorithm is quite complex and requires rigorous testing and fine-tuning of the map. Testing it for only a couple of days before deployment on the Live servers won’t be enough for us to identify all bugs and side effects. Therefore, we are planning to test it for a longer period of time in early November. If needed, we may roll it out on test servers for a certain amount of time even before November. Until then, we will be working on the feature internally. Please stay tuned for an update on the testing schedules for vaulting. "

https://www.playbattlegrounds.com/news/90.pu

The problem is no one actually plays PUBG on ultra/4K, well apart from people using absolute top end hardware. I can't even get 60fps stable on very low with a GTX 970 since the last patch which crippled performance due to forced PP. In the screenshot you can see they're getting 21fps which is unplayable.

And thats 4k all max, who know what GPU he have.
With right settings you can make it look nice and have good fps (with good gpu ofcourse).

And the point wasnt about fps and all that, point was that game can look good if you max it.

traveler

Not Wario
I guess I need to give this game more of a chance. I don't like the strategies it rewards, as trying to stay hidden while picking out pixels in the distance to jump ain't exactly rich, rewarding fps gameplay in my book. That said, I do like the shrinking zone mechanic and appreciate that between that and scavenging, there's real rewards for pushing and risking your neck out in the open.

This is definitely its own subgenre and it absolutely deserves appreciation for that; I'm just not convinced it's actually that GOOD a genre or game yet, and the other experiences I've had in 2017 that are so much better than it, are far more worthy of the year's crown even if they won't have the same industry impact.

Counter Strike has a much more consistent art style that I think lets it look better on the whole, but I don't play either game that much.

Also, resorting to CS:GO comparisons to prove PUBG looks decent? CS:GO ain't exactly a looker anymore so I'm not even sure what that would prove... Let this game stand on its innovation and impact; you shouldn't fight the visuals fight as it doesn't really do anything for your case and the game doesn't need it anyways.

Mulgrok

PUBG came at the right time to appeal to a fanbase that started gaming with minecraft. I think that is why it is so popular.

Alex

PUBG came at the right time to appeal to a fanbase that started gaming with minecraft. I think that is why it is so popular.

Man, I know like 6 people in their 30s who play this thing nonstop. I dislike the game and none of my gaming friends want to budge from it so I'm extra aware!

Its big for the same reason Starcraft was big back when we were kids. The game has a lot of depth but with a reasonable skill floor so that everyone can access it. Couple that with the ever standard PC gamer word of mouth and there you go.

CSGO

PUBG

lol not a very high bar you've set for PUBG there. CS:GO looks fucking awful and runs on a dated as hell engine. The game needs to be updated 2 years ago but Valve doesn't really give a shit about anything these days besides Dota and collecting that sweet 30%

Vipu

Banned
lol not a very high bar you've set for PUBG there. CS:GO looks fucking awful and runs on a dated as hell engine. The game needs to be updated 2 years ago but Valve doesn't really give a shit about anything these days besides Dota and collecting that sweet 30%

I just compared it to CSGO because some people earlier compared them.

The game gain ~200k additional concurrent users every week.

While 99% of games out there hope that they could achieve 200k ccu at release week only.

I think the real, logical reason as to why PUBG has gained increasing popularity is pretty simple.

It created or filled an, evidently, empty gaming genre that wasn't saturated.

Case in point: Moba genre -> filled by Dota 2 + LoL

Another case: Overwatch (Hero shooter)

Interestingly enough, you can make an analogy between Overwatch + Paladins to PUBG + Fortnite. (P2P game to a F2P "clone" )

All of these examples are games filling a specific niche in the gaming genre. Actually, they are CARVING out their own genres.

Hero Shooter, Battle Royale...what you thought was a sub-genre has now become, simply, a genre of gaming filled.

Previous gaming phenomen was Overwatch (Hero shooter genre filled)
Now it's PUBG (Battle Royale genre filled)

What you should be asking is what the next game genre phenomenon will be? ( oh shit that's a good neogaf thread)
KuGsj.gif

Twitch did it. Everything else has a part in it but...Twitch did it.

I've seen the same group of streamers propel early access game after early access game to the top of the steam charts for months at times and when they stop playing people stop buying them. What makes PUBG different is they won't stop playing it. It got huge because of Streamers now streamers can't stop playing it because it gets them so many views. Summit wanted to keep playing Black Desert but said he was losing thousands of viewers every night it was his main game so now he's back to PUBG.

I'm not understanding the complaints towards CS:GO's controls. It's what a FPS designed for mouse and keyboard should be, unlike most AAA titles that prioritize presentation and production values over everything else. PUBG is a good example as well, though its design roots and priorities are a little different coming from Arma. There are a few changes like vaulting though that are welcomed and mark the difference between the needs Arma and PUBG.

The poster said he's a console player who cant get used to M/Kb. So the only way he experienced games is with a controller and console designed shooters. You can see how something throughly PC designed like Counter Strike may seem totally alien. Still funny how he says its unnatural for a gun game.

Also of note, JaseC compared CS owners and pubg has surpasses CS 1.6 in terms of owners and will soon overtake CS Source.

CSGO still has 35 million owners, but it also has a well known hacker/alt account/bot problem.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
How can a PC game be this popular when PCs are super complicated and every single game is full of cheaters? It just doesn't make any sense.
crazy.gif

ChazGW7

CS:GO is one of the gold standards of FPS when it comes to gunplay and controls. Moving between those two games regularly (which is what I tend to do daily) is a little unsettling because PUBG definitely has the jank feeling. I hope its one of their main focuses going forward.

I dislike CSGO because it is janky with bad graphics and weird controls TO ME for a gun game. If a game is going for that look I prefer realism and a different control system. I don't think it is a timeless classic. It's not as classic in any way as chess to me. It's dated. Chess isn't dated.

Lmao, what is this.

CSGO is the gold standard when it comes to bullet-based shooters.

Mahadev

I just don't get it. The game is quite boring if you ask me, if I want a competitive game I'll just play Overwatch. A LOT more things are happening while playing Overwatch if you ask me, PUBG and games like that are more about running and searching for guns and ammo than actually competing.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I just don't get it. The game is quite boring if you ask me, if I want a competitive game I'll just play Overwatch. A LOT more things are happening while playing Overwatch if you ask me, PUBG and games like that are more about running and searching for guns and ammo than actually competing.

When you do, that's when the fun begins. There's nothing like PUBG, the feeling of winning, or just wiping out another squad clean is just incredible. My friends and I have made so many fun memories in this game, and one good experience wipes out an entire night of bad ones because the high points are so damn high. There's a reason millions of us put up with the technical issues and the slow & inexperienced developers and it's not because the game is boring. If you want action you can get that every time, just drop in a hot zone.

Top Bottom