• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUBG is now the biggest game on Steam in history | over 2m CCU, beats Dota 2 peak

Maxrunner

Its the only game I've played where getting your ass kicked makes you want to play more... and your ass gets kicked A LOT, like more than Dark Souls
Just saw some videos and while it does look fun, I fail to see what's the fuss about, let alone the goty awards posts and articles.

Just saw some videos and while it does look fun, I fail to see what's the fuss about, let alone the goty awards posts and articles.

Every single action and move you make contributes to your survival or death. It's a tension people would be oblivious to if they don't know what they're actually watching.

Some people complain that it's boring to see someone run across the field, but when you're playing it's probably one of the most terrifying things you can do because you have no idea where there are eyes on you, completely leaving you exposed.

Extrapolate that out to just moving in a house or reloading your gun. There's tension in every action.

Rhoc

Just wait when they release the first new map it's going to be insane. What a success story kudos to PlayerUnknown and Bluehole

Why should GOTY be based on anything other than how much you enjoyed a particular game?

For an individual person? No reason. For someone curating a list (including websites, magazines, and our own NeoGAF GOTY thread)? You've gotta have some set of rules to keep everyone participating on the same page, and with the types of release plans we have these days it'll never be exactly right for everyone.

Do those numbers really matter though? People say there are lots of bots in the game, so...

lol

What happened in July that made the game spike like that in popularity? From March until June it was growing at a more steady and slower pace. What gives?

Sylas

What happened in July that made the game spike like that in popularity? From March until June it was growing at a more steady and slower pace. What gives?

I imagine it's because the "right" people got a hold of it, streamed it, and people saw it all at once.

Tarrin

I can't stand the game (yes I've played it), but I can see why it's so popular. Reminds me of the days when Halo multi was all the rage.

Besides, it's always good to see games/devs succeed. Congrats on the success Bluehole/Brandon.

Nzyme32

2016: Uncharted 4
2015: Bloodborne
2014: Bayonetta 2
2013: The Last of Us
2012: Journey
2011: Portal 2
2010: Mass Effect 2

Only two Japanese exclusives there mate.

Though you're correct that GAF loves single-player games where NPCs blather all the time. And that console exclusives tend to have an edge. PUBG, a PC-exclusive (for now) gamey-game is indeed at a disadvantage (although Zelda and Mario are generally also gamey-games, so the most likely winner here will Horizon).

This is why the only GOTY thread that matters is SteamGAF GOTY. Not because it is Steam related, but because it has awesome diversity. Top 50 and beyond tend to all be super interesting even when votes vary so much

Can an early access game that's not really out yet qualify for GOTY?

I don't really care -- it's already out there and ready to be played. Let it be qualified. Especially since it's the biggest game of the year (and fun to boot). It's a game that I've had the most fun playing all year, so yes it is my GOTY. No game has come close to PUBG this year.

I really wish PUBG detractors would try the game, you'd have a blast!

Orayn

Can an early access game that's not really out yet qualify for GOTY?

If people have spent money on it and the average owned has played for dozens of hours, I'd say it's as "out" as it needs to be. Hell, it's in no less of a "released" state than any other service game.

people hesitant to buy because everyone thought pubg was gonna end up like the culling

by july most people knew "ok this is the real deal"

Teknoman

Man i've never taken the time to actually look into the game, but I do remember the days of GAF H1Z1. Is it strictly solo survival, because it looks kinda fun. Also do you have to aim down sights to stand a chance? Because third person + normal crosshair aiming at medium range would be awesome.

Sanic

Still curious how this will perform on the original XO. Although, given the state of Ark (for example), I'm not sure the gaming audience at large will really care one way or another.

nynt9

Cultural game of the year sure, just like Pokémon Go was

Not close to the actual best game of the year imo

That's a new way to say "flavor of the X, meme game" so at least you deserve points for that

Also, disqualifying this game for GOTY awards would show a disconnect with the state of the industry. The game has like 10 million owners at this point, who is anyone to tell them it's not their favorite game of the year? What a "released" game is very nebulous these days, especially considering many games significantly change after their release date as well.

Orayn

Man i've never taken the time to actually look into the game, but I do remember the days of GAF H1Z1. Is it strictly solo survival, because it looks kinda fun. Also do you have to aim down sights to stand a chance? Because third person + normal crosshair aiming at medium range would be awesome.

It's not survival so much as a deliberately paced deathmatch on a huge map. The play area is constantly shrinking so you have to stay on the move. You can play solo, duo, or in a squad of 3/4 and each mode has its own servers. You can freely jump back and forth between third and first person unless you're playing on a first person only server.

Lothars

If people have spent money on it and the average owned has played for dozens of hours, I'd say it's as "out" as it needs to be. Hell, it's in no less of a "released" state than any other service game.
For individuals, it can absolutely be someone goty but I think like others have said it can't be considered for outlets until it's officially released and not early access. It's makes perfect sense why this is the case.

Servbot24

Banned
That's a new way to say "flavor of the X, meme game" so at least you deserve points for that
Dont put the thoughts of other people into boxes that you made up for yourself.

PUBG is a good game and I have no idea what your reference to memes is.

As for wether it "qualifies" I don't really see what difference it makes. It's just a bunch of nerds writing a list of games. Write whatever you want.

Riposte

I've read a couple of these Battlegrounds sells X milestone threads and every single one seems to break down to people snipping at each other over GOTY. It's kind reminiscent of when The Last of Us was used to derail a bunch of threads, because, "omg GOTY".

Thing is, it's such a dumb excuse to bring up that discussion, because sales has always been a minor part of it (I would think most people who are championing BG would admit that, so it's odd to answer this thread, or the few before it, with "yes, NOW, BG is the GOTY"). The games BG is dethroning on Steam, which utterly dwarf all the other games on the service, weren't picked as #1 GOTY and neither were even bigger phenomenons like Pokemon GO. I honestly can't tell if this all started people because are upset by this state of affairs (to which I say, who cares, your game doesn't become "better" because it's called "GOTY" or if it sells more copies) or if people believe this implies an underlying set of rules that BG doesn't qualify for (kind of silly since GOTY is just a phrase to highlight someone's personal choice). EDIT: Oh, I guess I could be overlooking the whole console warz/console kiddies/weebs vs PC master race angle.

Top Bottom