• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUBG is now the biggest game on Steam in history | over 2m CCU, beats Dota 2 peak

I purchased the game earlier this week. There's a lot to love in the game, but it's still too early in development to be awarded GOTYs left and right. It has a lot of technical issues and bugs.
That has nothing to do with whether something is worthy of being someone's GOTY

It's gonna be really weird when the game actually is finished though. Like is it up for GOTY again or do we disqualify it in its actual finished state?

It's all arbitrary and doesn't matter. But it's a weird thing with popular early access games.
That is already possible if a game releases on a platform in one year and then is ported to another platform the next year.
Playable content released this year is eligible. This includes new games, remasters, ports, and so on.

Nev

Banned
I finally gave in, as a fan of TLOU survivors mode I don't know why I thought I wouldn't like it.

A few hours in and I have already gone through some awesome and hilarious experiences that I find hard to replicate in any other game.

All SOCOM/Tlou fans should play this no questions asked.

They have to work on optimization though.

GOTY for sure.

Bookoo

It is insane how well that game is doing. I am also shocked that no major developer really attempted to make a game like this after the DayZ craze many years ago.

Even Minecraft had a Survival games mod that seemed to be really popular.

Triteon

I bought it, all my friends play... I don't get it. Janky as heck and runs like crap while looking like something from a couple years ago. The concept is ok, but eh, I can't play more than a couple matches before I'm bored

Runs at 80 frames on good/great settings on my PC.

The only real jank is running yourself over in your own car, that stuff still pisses me off.

Akronis

It is insane how well that game is doing. I am also shocked that no major developer really attempted to make a game like this after the DayZ craze many years ago.

Even Minecraft had a Survival games mod that seemed to be really popular.

PUBG is not at all like DayZ...

There have also been a shit fuck ton of survival crafting games, where have you been?

faridmon

2016: Uncharted 4
2015: Bloodborne
2014: Bayonetta 2
2013: The Last of Us
2012: Journey
2011: Portal 2
2010: Mass Effect 2

Only two Japanese exclusives there mate.

Though you're correct that GAF loves single-player games where NPCs blather all the time. And that console exclusives tend to have an edge. PUBG, a PC-exclusive (for now) gamey-game is indeed at a disadvantage (although Zelda and Mario are generally also gamey-games, so the most likely winner here will Horizon).

I am still salty MGS4 winning GOTY

What a shitty situation that was

Fukuzatsu

honestly, they don't have anything to do with the growth from 1m to 1.3 million - literally
it's basically all just China:
DJbs2lJW4AAceS2.png:large

Wouldn't be the first time players of a game or genre of games in the US (or the West more generally) were completely oblivious to a game blowing up with millions of players in Asia.

Although this is usually due to region-locking or a game only being available in Chinese, but still. Access to the Chinese market is not to be underestimated.

Usobuko

Banned
honestly, they don't have anything to do with the growth from 1m to 1.3 million - literally
it's basically all just China:
DJbs2lJW4AAceS2.png:large

Wouldn't be the first time players of a game or genre of games in the US (or the West more generally) were completely oblivious to a game blowing up with millions of players in Asia.

Although this is usually due to region-locking or a game only being available in Chinese, but still. Access to the Chinese market is not to be underestimated.

Yeah, so basically just China getting on this train.

China, a region/country where many gamers don't have a clue on its impact on PC gaming.

Also, disqualifying this game for GOTY awards would show a disconnect with the state of the industry. The game has like 10 million owners at this point, who is anyone to tell them it's not their favorite game of the year?

I don't know why everyone's taking this part so personally. If you have to actually produce a GOTY list that aggregates multiple people's opinions, you've got a bunch of imperfect options: you can count games the exact day they first get any public release (in which case games that actually use EA for testing and refinement get shortchanged if they eventually have a super-polished full release), or you can count only the formal release (in which case games like PUBG get shortchanged instead), or you can let any game that is actively being updated count (in which case you can get popular service games that are muscling other stuff out by winning multiple years in a row.) It's not obvious the best approach!

Masx

Banned
Game can be fun at times but overall the pacing is too slow for me. Wanted to enjoy it but the RNG aspect of finding weapons, with energy drinks, pain killers, first aid, etc, and at times feeling like a running simulator just made a lot of it monotonous.

Before I get blown up by fans of the game, I'm not saying the game is bad, just I didn't personally enjoy it.

I wish we had full autonomy with parachutes. Nothing like a game of chicken to see who pulls first.

Edit: Meh this was supposed to go in the other thread.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
Is this the biggest destruction of an original IP (H1Z1: King of the Kill) ever in the history of gaming? I don't consider the Arma Battle Royal mode in this question because it never became a thing (though it was good and there was a competitive moment for it).

But PUBG saw an opportunity, created it, and pretty much owns this genre of shooting games. Single handedly. And they're putting a lot of the money they're making back into development, adding stuff people want, like being able to jump over cars / climb fences and out windows and stuff like that.

I don't think any other IP is going to be able to compete with PUBG because they're just owning it and making it better and making the player experience better (glitches notwithstanding which are admittedly hard to work around; though the unspawning buildings thing was kind of unforgivable from a developer point of view).

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Oof. People trying really hard to downplay this games successes and popularity.

It's literally the fidget spinners of videogames, right? Right?

Rolleyes.gif

Yeah, so basically just China getting on this train.

China, a region/country where many gamers don't have a clue on its impact on PC gaming.

To be fair a lot of teenagers are playing in internet bars, so internet bars usually have special contracts with devs/pubs to get the games cheaper.

Though lately Chinese use their own Steam accounts in those bars.

H1Z1 still has a healthy playerbase so I didn't call it a "destruction".

H1Z1 has more concurrent players than TF2.

BigDes

H1Z1 is constantly in the the top ten games played on Steam

The games are different enough I feel, H1Z1 is much more uh arcadey (as arcadey as you can get in the semi realistic milsim inspired shotman crowd anyway) than PUBG.

I prefer H1Z1 for solo play I think, more immediate, less tense.

So weird how out of touch with zeitgeist I am on this game. I don't really know anyone who plays it, I have four friends who own it on steam compared to the 10 who own Divinity, the 15 who own Civ V and the billion who own Skyrim. The only time it came up at all in conversation was a YouTube video my girlfriend linked me of a guy RPing in the game as some kind of sergeant, which was kind of funny.

cackhyena

H1Z1 is constantly in the the top ten games played on Steam

The games are different enough I feel, H1Z1 is much more uh arcadey (as arcadey as you can get in the semi realistic milsim inspired shotman crowd anyway) than PUBG.

I prefer H1Z1 for solo play I think, more immediate, less tense.

Pass for me, then.

Nzyme32

Obviously. Sometimes popular things are rubbish. Sometimes popular things are good. PUBG is an example of the latter.

To you, not to everyone, as the regular numbers demonstrate. As the previous posters said, go ahead and name those rubbish popular games that those people happily play

Nev

Banned
Lmao at the new ways of denial of the haters. "All chinese" "there are bad popular games".

Stay pressed.

To you, not to everyone, as the regular numbers demonstrate. As the previous posters said, go ahead and name those rubbish popular games that those people happily play
Destiny 1 had poor critical reception but was incredibly popular.

Not that I agreed with the original reception.

Recall

Did you enjoy it?

Did you enjoy more than anything else you played within the year?

Then it can be your game of the year.

You don't need validation from others, or some award from a website, or the mass agreement of others.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
can someone explain the hook of the game? going to blind buy tonight as me and 3 others were talking about it and curious. we all thought it looked a bit 'dayz but not trash' is that accurate at all?

looking forward to trying later

nynt9

I don't know why everyone's taking this part so personally. If you have to actually produce a GOTY list that aggregates multiple people's opinions, you've got a bunch of imperfect options: you can count games the exact day they first get any public release (in which case games that actually use EA for testing and refinement get shortchanged if they eventually have a super-polished full release), or you can count only the formal release (in which case games like PUBG get shortchanged instead), or you can let any game that is actively being updated count (in which case you can get popular service games that are muscling other stuff out by winning multiple years in a row.) It's not obvious the best approach!

I think my subsequent post is a better argument to argue against. What do you feel about this:

I mean, reviewing this game at this point will be very counter productive. It's already sold around 10m copies, and many journos already have many hours in it. It creates conditions that would upset the balance compared to other games they normally play in a rushed manner over a week to meet an embargo.

Also, just because a line has been drawn doesn't mean it can't be redrawn. We live in an evolving industry. Rainbow 6 siege today is an entirely different game from launch. So is Warframe. Even overwatch is quite different. Destiny 2 now has content in the game that wasn't out during launch when many reviews hit, and it's only been a week. Even single player games like FFXV or Prey change drastically after launch. There are early access games that launch with more content than some AAA games. Being a hardliner for rules made years ago when the industry was different doesn't make a lot of sense.

SomTervo

Runs at 80 frames on good/great settings on my PC.

The only real jank is running yourself over in your own car, that stuff still pisses me off.

They need to add a low-damage fall/roll/stun animation for when you jump out of moving cars so it doesn't fuck you up but it makes you vulnerable for a couple of seconds. The way it works currently is super annoying.

Nzyme32

Destiny 1 had poor critical reception but was incredibly popular.

Not that I agreed with the original reception.

Again - crap to me but not true to quite a lot of people. This doesn't prove the point, just as anyone can say h1Z1 is shit, yet it has it's regulars and happy supporters that keep it in the chart

Javier23

Banned
I'm not sure I follow. How do the regular numbers of PUBG demonstrate that PUBG is an example of a rubbish but popular game?

Also, I said "popular things". I don't play enough games to provide an example of a popular but terrible game. Popular games, save for a few exceptions, are more expensive than usual and I am extremely selective about which ones I buy, depending on what I know I'll personally enjoy. When I actually play something I find to be middling or bad it always is an indie game, and certainly not that popular outside of certain circles. That said, I am sure that there are popular but terrible games, because like I said, there's always popular but terrible things. The live-action Resident Evil movies are certainly not good. And each one brings more money in than the last. Dan Brown's novels are certainly not good, yet the Da Vinci's Code was a worldwide phenomenom. I'm sure someone can provide examples of games.

PUBG is definitely not a popular but terrible game. I've been playing Bohemia's games since the original Operation Flashpoint. Anyone who's done the same can surely appreciate just how well PUBG changes up stuff to adapt everything to its particular goals, and how well fine tuned the gameplay is. Anyone who believes PUBG's popularity is accidental because of its supposed jankiness is way off the mark. There's a lot that is more deliberate than people believe, and most definitely more than well thought out. So kudos to PU. Nobody can have predicted its popularity but it certainly isn't undeserved. Between DayZ and PUBG Bohemia needs to step up its game. It boggles the mind that in so many ways the original Operation Flashpoint remains unsurpassed by its spiritual sequels. And in any case, successes like those of DayZ and, specially, PUBG, just show that they have the basis for successes of this calibre and yet they're getting snatched by more visionary developers. And I believe it's not entirely a matter of having to step out of the realms of what they know to do best, milsims, but of actually getting things right. It's something that over a decade and half later their AI can't do when it comes to driving on a road, and it's only hurting them as evidenced by PU.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Doesn't mean that a game needs to be a PS exclusive to become GAF's GOTY, a Switch game is probably gonna become this years winner.

LOL, you wish. Its gonna be that uncharted game or any PS4 exclusives this year.

Parsnip

Lmao at the new ways of denial of the haters. "All chinese" "there are bad popular games".

Stay pressed.

Maybe not "all Chinese", but China is no joke. 30% of PUBG players are from China, 15% from the US.

Even Japan is in with 2%. Who knew there even was that many gaming PC's in Japan?

Roblox can be played for free if you want which is what my kid does and he loves it. Probably his second most played game behind Minecraft.

Hell I'll play it some here and there. Theres some fun to be had.

I understand calling it rubbish from one perspective (graphics/mechanically etc) but at the same time it's far from it when you consider the amount of free content.

Top Bottom