• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUBG is now the biggest game on Steam in history | over 2m CCU, beats Dota 2 peak

Javier23

Banned
Popularity and quality has no direct correlation
Nope, there's definitely a correlation.
Games, movies and literature are very different on this matter. The "only" things you need in order to be popular at launch are marketing, hype and/or brand recognition, which is pretty much what pushes the whole movie industry. A game being consistently popular over a longer period of time is a much better indicator of "quality" because it's an ongoing investment for the consumer. A 2 hour investment to watch a movie isn't really the same, and a good trailer on TV (or internet, theaters, various ads) is all it takes to make people buy a ticket even if they have no clue whether it's a good movie or not.
I don't think gaming is any different. Ads, trailers, word of mouth, soundbites, all of them drive sales up for games as much as they do for movies.

I've never felt more under a rock in my gaming life than right now... I generally ignore gaming trends, but every time I turn around anymore I see people commenting on this game, or see records broken by this game... Reading up on some basic stuff on it and I'm starting to understand WHY.

I don't have the time to get drawn into a time sucking game like this though... still, anyone got any recommendations for some good LPers (actual LPs, with editing and humor, not just pros being pros) of this?

nynt9

I think if you think there's value in talking about what is "GOTY" (and frankly I think "anything can be your GOTY, who cares what anyone else thinks" is silly, the whole point of the concept is to start discussions about people's different opinions which is definitionally caring what other people think) you need some kind of ground-rules about the point you compare different games at so it feels like an apples to apples comparison -- like, you want the discussion to be about the games' relative merits, not the framing of when in release they were compared.

When comparing possible rules, I lean to "official release date" over "when made available for purchase" because the former isn't likely to hurt very many games (I doubt PUBG won't still be quite popular when it hits that final release) while the latter will really discourage the other type of early access release that's actually intended to improve early, unfinished games. I guess you could you could just say "vote for a game whenever, but only once" which is close to the GAF rule, though that can keep games from doing well since people aren't sure whether to count the current EA form or not.

In general I'm not in favor of sticking with an old rule just because it's the old rule but I do think having a consistent set of rules makes the process more fun and interesting to debate about. I'm not sure if this answers your question?

I mean, if your rule is designed to prevent shitty early access games from winning GOTY, that seems self-defeating. If a game is shitty, it won't likely win GOTY anyway. And "early access" is a pretty thin line, I think. Most games, near the end of their EA cycle, will basically be identical to the release version except for a few minor fixes. Many EA games still continue to get changed after their release. So this seems like a rather thin line. Like some other poster said, Bluehole could hit the "release" button today without changing anything about the game, and it would suddenly be eligible.

For many service games, the way it changes starting from release and afterwards is almost indistinguishable from how some early access games change from pre-release to release. That, and added the fact that certain EA games even have retail releases these days (Fortnite for example) seems like enough of an argument to push the needle more towards the "just allow EA as well" side of things. I don't think I'd vote for PUBG as my GOTY or even have it in my top 10, so it's not like I have a horse in the race, but in the current climate of the industry the distinction doesn't make a lot of sense to me anymore.

Anyone? I can't figure it out myself =\

I'm gonna say it'll run it really badly.

I have an EVGA 760, and your maxwell is an 860m soldered in, but it's comparable to a 750 TI.

I can only run PUBG on all the lowest settings, and even then it has issues(Audio popping, lag when going into the match, decent fps but it spikes). An i3 also probably isn't the best CPU to run it on.

The minimum is an i3, but PUBG is also unoptimized, so it's the baaare minimum.(I run it on a 7 year old cpu myself for example).

So you might be able to run it, just very badly lol. You can always buy it, try out a couple matches, and then return it if you have problems.

I mean, if your rule is designed to prevent shitty early access games from winning GOTY, that seems self-defeating.

No, the idea there was to prevent a game that's problematic in Early Access (because it's a true unfinished early build that's relying on public feedback) but great at actual release from getting stiffed since it was only up for consideration when it was explicitly unfinished.

I've never felt more under a rock in my gaming life than right now... I generally ignore gaming trends, but every time I turn around anymore I see people commenting on this game, or see records broken by this game... Reading up on some basic stuff on it and I'm starting to understand WHY.

I don't have the time to get drawn into a time sucking game like this though... still, anyone got any recommendations for some good LPers (actual LPs, with editing and humor, not just pros being pros) of this?

https://www.twitch.tv/beagsandjam
I recommend Beagle since he usually vocalizes his tactical decision making. He also streams XCOM which is where that comes from

Nabs

when will Valve buy out the company/ip? you can almost feel it coming.

It doesn't seem like their style. They're about picking up the mod team and creating a big game together. CS, TF, Portal, Dota. I'm kinda surprised they didn't approach PU before Bluehole.

It also doesn't seem like their style. They're about picking up the mod team and creating a big game together. CS, TF, Portal, Dota. I'm kinda surprised they didn't approach PU before Bluehole.

Tencent tried to buy them, but even they couldnt buy it. I doubt Valve would pay more money.

ffvorax

Grats.
Still I didn't care about Minecraft, I don't about PUGB, nor about most of these "played by everyone" games... (destiny, overwatch, ...) I feel so out of the gaming world sometimes... lol
I have different tastes I guess.

patapuf

I went and watched a greatest hits video and I still don't get why this has become a phenomenon.

It's something one has to play.

You don't get the tension and rush from surviving by watching highlights.

Think of playing a 1vs5 in CS, or a close 1v1 match, with the difference that you don't need to be super good to get to these situations regularily and they are fun to play through.

Raide

Probably not going to happen but I hope/wish the Xbox version has a splitscreen option. Would be a great couch co-op game.

Yeah, people like to dog on my boy Five Nights at Freddy's but I know its the greatest game ever made due to its breakout popularity.

Don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but the FNaF games are genuinely great, and a breathe of fresh air at a time where horror games were dominated by walking sims.

KooopaKid

Banned
Amazingly fast success for this game. Never heard of it one week ago.

Regarding the GOTY talk, luckily it has zero chance to be NeoGaf's GOTY. Not than it matters anyway.
PC gamers aren't a majority here and moreover the game doesn't deserve it from a game design, art, soundtrack, accessibility and universality standpoint.

Regarding the GOTY talk, luckily it has zero chance to be NeoGaf's GOTY.
PC gamers aren't a majority here and moreover the game doesn't deserve it from a game design, art, soundtrack, accessibility, originality and universality standpoint.

"PC gamers aren't a majority here" is why the game won't win GOTY.

"the game doesn't deserve it from a game design, art, soundtrack, accessibility, originality and universality standpoint" is not.

Budi

Regarding the GOTY talk, luckily it has zero chance to be NeoGaf's GOTY. Not than it matters anyway.
PC gamers aren't a majority here and moreover the game doesn't deserve it from a game design, art, soundtrack, accessibility and universality standpoint.
How the game isn't accessible? It's not a game that is hard to get a grasp on, it's very basic premise and execution. And I'm not a native english speaker so I don't really understand the universality standpoint either. It's one of the biggest games this year (excluding mobile), it's not niche. And it taps into universal human instinct of survival.

BigDes

When people mean survival elements they usually mean stuff like, needing to eat, weather/temperature playing a role in your health, crafting, cooking, a more robust health system than health packs etc

PUBG has none of thouse

Most survivaly aspect of it is that you need painkillers/energy drinks/medpacks to top you back up to 100% health a normal first aid kit won't cut it

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
When people mean survival elements they usually mean stuff like, needing to eat, weather/temperature playing a role in your health, crafting, cooking, a more robust health system than health packs etc

PUBG has none of thouse

Most survivaly aspect of it is that you need painkillers/energy drinks/medpacks to top you back up to 100% health a normal first aid kit won't cut it

I would say PUBG wouldn't be as successful if it had those systems. From what i saw, PUBG is about fast gameplay, the game sets up a zone to prevent players from keeping too apart from each other in the immense map.

BigDes

I would say PUBG wouldn't be as successful if it had those systems. From what i saw, PUBG is about fast gameplay, the game sets up a zone to prevent players from keeping too apart from each other in the immense map.

They would certainly slow the pace of the game down in a negative way I agree.

Rogan

Banned
PUBG will vanish like H1Z1 when the next good Battle Royale game is here.

I don't get why everyone is so excited.

Stygr

Banned

Only if this next game will be developed by Greene i dont see a BR game from UBISOFT, EA or Activision with the same success as PUBG on PC.

patapuf

H1Z1 is Currently the 4th most played game on steam behind PUBG, Dota and CS.

PUBG has not made H1Z1 less popular, it didn't go anywhere.

Javier23

Banned
Yeah, people like to dog on my boy Five Nights at Freddy's but I know its the greatest game ever made due to its breakout popularity.
I know John Smith who smoked a pack of cigarettes a day for almost his entire life and died peacefully in his sleep at a very healthy 93 of natural causes. Which is why I'm sure there's absolutely no correlation between smoking and lung cancer. /s

This game's success is unprecedented in scale. H1Z1's was never as successful. It has shattered the highest concurrent players record ever on the Steam platform and is still trending upwards rapidly. I think it deserves a little attention, though of course you know how this will all go, even though no game has done this before.

Wardancer

Neo Member

Sarcasm?

In case its not, vanish like being top 4 on steam?

1,118,444 1,338,091 PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS
578,850 748,347 Dota 2
355,527 684,573 Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
59,274 76,035 H1Z1: King of the Kill

Last I checked H1Z1: King of the kill actually grew as PUBG was released. But is now declining a bit as PUBG is growing fast. But it sure as hell didn't "vanish".

Shadybiz

Looking forward to getting in on this madness...my new pc is arriving this week, and this will be the first game that I download.

Fukuzatsu

It's something one has to play.

You don't get the tension and rush from surviving by watching highlights.

Think of playing a 1vs5 in CS, or a close 1v1 match, with the difference that you don't need to be super good to get to these situations regularily and they are fun to play through.

I think indoor combat is interesting with doors potentially being a signal for player presence (or non-presence), listening for cars and footsteps outside is pretty dynamic, but no one part of it is all that new. It comes together in a fun way sometimes, but that's really the best thing I can think to say about it. The reward system is shallow, and aiming over long distances feels way more realistic than it should (perhaps this is a good thing).

However, the thing that stops me from playing for hours and hours are those times where, while running or driving through a field on a circle-contraction, I start getting shot from somewhere with no good way to tell which direction other than sound, and by that time I'm usually already dead. That's not intense, or fun, and it just leaves me confused. Also, the start-up time from jumping out of the plane, to getting gear, to finally reaching those fun, intense parts can get draining after a while, especially by yourself.

And dying when jumping out of a slow-moving car. That shit has got to go.

KooopaKid

Banned
How the game isn't accessible? It's not a game that is hard to get a grasp on, it's very basic premise and execution. And I'm not a native english speaker so I don't really understand the universality standpoint either. It's one of the biggest games this year (excluding mobile), it's not niche. And it taps into universal human instinct of survival.

It's for a very specific crowd. It's not family friendly and has low appeal outside the typical competitive, mostly male crowd.

patapuf

I think indoor combat is interesting with doors potentially being a signal for player presence (or non-presence), listening for cars and footsteps outside is pretty dynamic, but no one part of it is all that new. It comes together in a fun way sometimes, but that's really the best thing I can think to say about it. The reward system is shallow, and aiming over long distances feels way more realistic than it should (perhaps this is a good thing).

However, the thing that stops me from playing for hours and hours are those times where, while running or driving through a field on a circle-contraction, I start getting shot from somewhere with no good way to tell which direction other than sound, and by that time I'm usually already dead. That's not intense, or fun, and it just leaves me confused. Also, the start-up time from jumping out of the plane, to getting gear, to finally reaching those fun, intense parts can get draining after a while, especially by yourself.

And dying when jumping out of a slow-moving car. That shit has got to go.

It's a game you need to play with headphones on. With a bit of practice, knowing where the shots come from becomes second nature. The guns have a pretty big muzzle flash too without the attachment. Though sometimes you are just unlucky and get surrounded. Some deaths will be unsatisfying. No way around that.

As for the action part: one can easily choose how much action one has. If i want to shoot people, i drop at the schoo/military base. Pretty much all cities and Georgopol usually have lots of people too.

I agree it's more fun with friends but i also know people that much prefer playing alone.

Budi

It's for a very specific crowd. It's not family friendly and has low appeal outside the typical competitive, mostly male crowd.
I mean it has sold over 11 million copies while being only on single platform and still in early access, no developer pedigree or brand recognition, no big traditional marketing push either. Seems like it has a wide reach regardless. I really can't see the "low accesibility and universality" claims when we have games like Bloodborne winning GAF Goty. I'm 100% sure that PUBG is more "family friendly" than Bloodborne. It being PC only (for now) does hurt it's chances here, that part you got exactly right.

jeffc919

No offense but I could just as easily say the type of game you're implying is GOTY material has low appeal outside a very specific crowd.

PUBG appeals to a massive audience. It wouldn't be constantly setting new sales and player count records if that wasn't the case.

n0razi

Just saw some videos and while it does look fun, I fail to see what's the fuss about, let alone the goty awards posts and articles.

That like watching someone else watching a scary movie and asking what all the fuss is about. You are not going to get the same tension and adrenaline watching someone play.

Saty

What's the Steam record for longest best-seller? By my count, PUBG is at 25 straight weeks as the #1 selling game.

Top Bottom