• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puerto Rico Mayor invited to WH conference call, told she's not allowed to speak

Jackpot

Banned
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ia-emergency-relief-puerto-rico-a7979856.html

Puerto Rico mayor invited to take part in White House conference call on hurricane disaster effort - but told she could not speak

The Mayor of San Juan was invited, for the first time, to participate in a conference call with top White House officials marshalling the response to Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico only to be told she could listen in only but would not be allowed to say anything.

Hours before Donald Trump was to touch down in San Juan on Tuesday, Mayor Carmen Yulin Cruz, also said she had been given no information on what he planned to do upon his arrival or even if she was going to meet him to discuss the humanitarian catastrophe wrought by Maria.

“I read in tweet that someone said I got an invitation to see him,” she revealed as she gave The Independent a tour of a sports arena now converted into a distribution hub for pallets of food, water and other necessities that tens of thousands in her city still desperately need. “I haven’t.”

In the interview, Ms Yulin, said Mr Trump appeared to issue the tweets, “just to spite us”.

“I have mouths to feed and frankly, sir.. You can insult me all you want. I can take it. But when you call my people ingrates - it’s more than an utter insult, it is a sublime acknowledgement that you don’t know our hearts. I respect the office of the presidency of the United States, but I expect whoever holds it to respect the people I represent…Talking about ingrates, to me that is an insult, it is indignity and perhaps I will accomplish more out on the streets saving lives.”

“Our focus is to bring the mayor into the coordination efforts,” Sarah Huckabee Sanders told reporters. “This administration, as well as other members on the ground, have reached out to her. We hope that she will join with us in those efforts and be a part of things. She's been invited to participate in the events tomorrow, as well. And we hope that those conversations will happen and we can all work together to move forward.”

But Ms Yulin, who is now sleeping in cramped quarters with all her family and members of her staff at the sports arena, revealed that the conversation with Mr Bossert and other officials hadn’t quite been that. “I was invited to participate in a conference via a text,” she said. “I did. When I went into the call it said you are allowed in a listening capacity only…so I listened.”

“I know how the America people are good-hearted people, they are friendly people, they are courageous people who when they see someone who needs their help they run to them,” she said. “And and I think that the Trump administration really doesn’t reflect those values, by tweeting that we should have paid our debt, by tweeting that we want everything done by others, by tweeting that we are ingrates.”

Additionally:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/03/puerto-rico-elderly-hurricane-victims

Life or death as Puerto Rico's older people go without essentials

Four floors up, the team came across a white-haired woman in housecoat printed with dainty flowers. She was leaning against the partially opened window through which came the faintest of breezes.

“What do you need?” asked one of the volunteers. “Food, water, medicine?”

“All of them,” she replied faintly.

“You don’t have anything?”

She shook her head, and as the volunteer embraced her, she began to sob.

sss.jpg

I will be celebrating the day this man dies. I hope Hell is real and he burns and suffers for all eternity.

However, Mayor Cruz seems brilliant. I hope her people are allowed to vote after all this shit is dealt with.

Chumly

Who would have guessed Sarah fucking huckabee sanders would have lied about attempting to work with the mayor

Link

The Autumn Wind
Who would have guessed Sarah fucking huckabee sanders would have lied about attempting to work with the mayor
I wish we could bring charges to these assholes this administration trots out to blatantly lie about pretty much everything.

Hagi

Whenever he does finish up as President either by being ousted or serving his term the behind the scenes account of his presidency are going to be insane. Right now it seems like every day there's something new they are fucking up and you know there's other stuff we aren't hearing about.

Machina

Banned
Isn't Puerto Rico part of the USA? Doesn't he care about his own citizens anymore?

Would you say Bush cared about New Orleans? This is hardly a new phenomenon. Whether a president cares about you depends on what color your region is, both skin and voting

KSweeley

I seriously hope the Mayor of San Juan will reject this invitation, it is counter-productive for her to just listen in to this conference call and not be allowed to inform the White House of the current conditions.

So fucked up, fuck Trump.

linkboy

Isn't Puerto Rico part of the USA? Doesn't he care about his own citizens anymore?

A) They didn't vote for him

B) They're not white

In his, and the GOP's fucked up minds, those two reasons alone means they don't give two shits about Puerto Rico.

KSweeley

Can they vote for Trump? Are they Republicans?

Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory and its residents are technically U.S. Citizens under a law passed by Congress but as long as Puerto Ricans live in Puerto Rico, they have no voting rights at all to vote for the U.S. President and U.S. Congress. The way they can gain voting rights is if they move to any of the 50 states of the U.S.

Chumly

I wish we could bring charges to these assholes this administration trots out to blatantly lie about pretty much everything.
Seriously. Lying about official federal business to make people look bad should be a crime. They are so balatant about it also. This isn't about some fucking crowds this is about a national disaster and official federal response to it.

Nightbird

However, Mayor Cruz seems brilliant. I hope her people are allowed to vote after all this shit is dealt with.

You know what? She should run for president in 2020. She's pleading for the people in power to help her, but the only response she gets is that she should care about it herself.

So let's put her in power, so she can actually care about it herself! :D

OmniGamer

Meanwhile the father of the Mayor of the town of Lajas just died because help couldn't reach him in time...other similar deaths are occurring as well, news crews and reporters continue to be the first outside contact many people are receiving, and reports of suicides are surfacing...but, y'know, great news story.

Trump's touting of "low deaths...relatively speaking" as if this isn't all a continuing situation...as if the danger passed as soon as the storm passed, just shows how limited his perspective is. He deserves to be vilified for all eternity.

linkboy

Drumpf doesn't care about anyone that didn't vote for him. I'm not sure he even cares about the ones that did.

Trump only cares about one thing, Trump. He will do anything (illegal or not) and use anyone (especially people who are to stupid to realize their being used) to benefit himself.

He just can't be a human being for a single moment.

The man's never had a shred of humanity in his entire life. He's a narcassitic scumbag who thinks the entire planet revolves around his inflated ego.

The day the bottom falls out from this man's life will be so satisfying. I would love nothing more then to see him die penniless and alone.

Chumly

Meanwhile the father of the Mayor of the town of Lajas just died because help couldn't reach him in time...other similar deaths are occurring as well, news crews and reporters continue to be the first outside contact many people are receiving, and reports of suicides are surfacing...but, y'know, great news story.

Trump's touting of "low deaths...relatively speaking" as if this isn't all a continuing situation...as if the danger passed as soon as the storm passed, just shows how limited his perspective is. He deserves to be vilified for all eternity.
Has anyone calculated after the fact storm deaths? Aren't most storm deaths from the day of or within a day or two. What is the indirect death total??

Would you say Bush cared about New Orleans? This is hardly a new phenomenon. Whether a president cares about you depends on what color your region is, both skin and voting
I believe Bush did but was incompetent/had incompetent folks in charge during Katrina.

Trump doesn't give a fuck and actively insults those in need for not kissing the ring.

I know it's the White House and and all but how in the flying FUCK do you justify not allowing the mayor of the place you're supposed to try to help not provide input and only listen? seriously, this administration is making me angry in new ways everyday.

Dryk

I seriously hope the Mayor of San Juan will reject this invitation, it is counter-productive for her to just listen in to this conference call and not be allowed to inform the White House of the current conditions.

So fucked up, fuck Trump.
Yep. A complete waste of her time, and she has way more important things to do right now.

Has anyone calculated after the fact storm deaths? Aren't most storm deaths from the day of or within a day or two. What is the indirect death total??
We don't have any real numbers - just isolated reports here and there - but some people are estimating the final toll could be in the hundreds. Read this https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/10/2/16392670/puerto-rico-death-toll-trump

This isn't just from after-the-fact deaths, btw - things are in such disarray that many immediate deaths haven't been officially recorded yet, either.

Top Bottom