• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puerto Rico Mayor invited to WH conference call, told she's not allowed to speak

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
This whole thing has me numb. I have estranged family in PR. It's mad me feel lesser than knowing I can't be of much support. Meanwhile, The president can just land there and make sociopathic statements to people's faces.

I don't understand why we're still allowing this. I'm not entirely sure how to process it.

bengraven

Puerto Rico is basically America’s step brother that gets treated like shit by his mom.

PR is like Jon Snow and Trump is Cat Stark.

Daily reminder that close to half the nation is on Trump side.

Literally not true.

Trump got 62,979,636 votes. The US population in 2017 is 324,459,463.

I'd also be remiss not to mention that Hillary Clinton got 65,844,610 votes. Almost 3 million more than Trump.

I legit want to hear someone defend Trump and his handling of Puerto Rico.

I want to know what lies they're telling themselves to defend what is, honestly, some of the worst leadership this country has experienced.

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.

I want to know what lies they're telling themselves to defend what is, honestly, some of the worst leadership this country has experienced.

I imagine it's one of these:

"He said they're doing fine! They just want hand outs"

"That's what you get for not paying Wall Street"

"You mean they're Americans? But they're brown"

It's easy. They already gave them mountains of aid, didn't you see the pictures of the mayor of San Juan with the palettes? You don't even have to jump through that many mental hoops if you take a completely biased viewpoint from the beginning.

If my facebook is anything to go by, it's that the media is lying about how bad it is, and the response has actually been fine.

The hell? That’s not fucking fair keeping the mayor of a major US territory, that just went through a major disaster, from speaking on behalf of it.

At the same time I don’t feel surprised.

They‘re not allowed to vote in Presidential elections.

If they come to the mainland, they can. There was a thread here earlier about a Republican strategist worrying that evacuees settling in Florida could tilt the state from "Swing" to "Leans Blue."

Or if Congress accepts their bid for statehood, which this Congress will probably never even bring up for vote.

It's easy. They already gave them mountains of aid, didn't you see the pictures of the mayor of San Juan with the palettes? You don't even have to jump through that many mental hoops if you take a completely biased viewpoint from the beginning.

I guess I just want to believe the best of people.

It's disheartening, to say the least.

Z3M0G

Howdoeshekeepgettingawaywithit.gif

The saddest part is how non-shocking it all is now...

10 months in... 38 to go...

Top Bottom