• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break first Review by Jim Sterling

Yet another game where the story seemingly fizzles out towards the end if we only go by Jim's review thus far. I am seriously starting to be fed up by games being too front-loaded in every sense of the word. I mean, sure, the "journey" itself is usually very rewarding, but the true top-tier games are those that don't have squandered endings.

Devs, pleeeeeeeease start prioritizing the end-games, it's important to wrap up stories in a satisfactory way.
Jim was strictly talking about the live action part.

Sjefen

Yet another game where the story seemingly fizzles out towards the end if we only go by Jim's review thus far. I am seriously starting to be fed up by games being too front-loaded in every sense of the word. I mean, sure, the "journey" itself is usually very rewarding, but the true top-tier games are those that don't have squandered endings.

Devs, pleeeeeeeease start prioritizing the end-games, it's important to wrap up stories in a satisfactory way.

Agreed, it reminds me of when I was writing essays at school. Teacher said minimum 200 words. Reaching 195 words, my last words were: "And everyone died. The end."

I think ND needed extra dev time for making a good end game for U4, I am glad they did.

Joohanh

It'll score about the same as Alan Wake, in the end. It's a strict single player experience without any added content stuffing (like NG+, online features or open world missions). The core gameplay could be the best in the world but it wouldn't still score in the 90's.

That, plus the resolutiongate has reviewers quite easily stamping the game as an "interesting and fun" title. Low 80's. It's a shame, as Remedy titles are beautiful games, but also understandable in a way.

Hahaha- whats with people forgetting its still march. My wife asked me this morning too

At least its a good review.... If it was a poor review mighta been someones head

blakep267

I can see it ranging from 83-87. It'll get most mod 8's a few 9's. Some 7s etc. I can already see the 3/5 from Jeff gerstman a mile away. Doesn't seem like his kinda game from how's he's been sounding

Eh, he'll get away with it. He's Jim fuckin Sterling, Son, After all.

Excite for QB. Will pick it up once my Finances aren't so terrible (FFXV was bad enough!)

Theorry

It'll score about the same as Alan Wake, in the end. It's a strict single player experience without any added content stuffing (like NG+, online features or open world missions). The core gameplay could be the best in the world but it wouldn't still score in the 90's.

That, plus the resolutiongate has reviewers quite easily stamping the game as an "interesting and fun" title. Low 80's. It's a shame, as Remedy titles are beautiful games, but also understandable in a way.

There is.

Gurish

Great score!
Predicting 90-94 at meta.
No way.

Not even sure if U4 will come close to 94, let alone any other game this year.

A reminder, last year with TW3, BB, MGS5, Batman etc.. No game got 94 MC.
It's really really hard to score it this gen.

blakep267

No way.

Not even sure if U4 will come close to 94, let alone any other game this year.

A reminder, last year with TW3, BB, MGS5, Batman etc.. No game got 94 MC.
It's really really hard to score it this gen.
yeahh I think those days of the mid-high 90's are all but gone. Most games would do well to get 87-90 range

Gurish

yeahh I think those days of the mid-high 90's are all but gone. Most games would do well to get 87-90 range
Yea I like it when 85 today is considered to be a great score, journalists and fans matured in the last 2-3 years in regards to reviews and scores.

They obviously still matters, but the scale is closer to sanity compared to last gens where "OMG game got 8.8, dieeeeeee Gamespot!!!1" was pretty common.

Agreed, it reminds me of when I was writing essays at school. Teacher said minimum 200 words. Reaching 195 words, my last words were: "And everyone died. The end."

I think ND needed extra dev time for making a good end game for U4, I am glad they did.

It's not only extra time, is extra money. A while ago some ex-Ubi dev said that in AAA games most of the money is spent on the beginning because they know that not everyone reaches the end.

Theorry

Yea I like it when 85 today is considered to be a great score, journalists and fans matured in the last 2-3 years with regards to reviews and scores.

They obviously still matters, but the scale is closer to sanity compared to last gens where "OMG game got 8.8, dieeeeeee Gamespot!!!1" was pretty common.

Yeah those 10's back in the day were always stupid. No game is perfect.
They matured indeed abit. Sterling gave The Witcher also 8.5 so its not a bad to have to same.

SomTervo

It's easy to see why you'd think this, but i think it's off-point.

As much as i love Alan Wake, it only had three combat mechanics (shoot/throw, light, dodge). Those three simple things bore the entire weight of the gameplay experience from start to finish. The enemies also never changed, they just moved differently or had more health. So no matter how good the level design was or how endearing the story was, it was always going to be tired from a gameplay standpoint. (I remember feeling the fatigue badly by episode 4.)

Quantum Break, in contrast, has shooting, cover, dodging, time shield, time grenade - etc etc, with an upgrade/combine mechanic later on, and more enemy types/behaviours.

Mix this broader combat canvas with the excellent level and narrative design Remedy always get right, and i think we're onto a winner. I think it will score a fair few points higher than A Wake.

That M Bargo review is clearly clickbait.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Yeah those 10's back in the day were always stupid. No game is perfect.
They matured indeed abit. Sterling gave The Witcher also 8.5 so its not a bad to have to same.

You equating a 10 with 'perfect' is the only stupid thing, honestly. There is no such thing as a perfect game and a 10 just means it's a masterpiece.
Why even have a ten point scale if one of them is completely impossible to assign to any game.

And plenty of games still get showered with 10's this generation. GTAV, MGSV, Bloodborne, The Witcher 3.

shandy706

Not bad review. Anyway, curious about the lenght of the game.

Is it short ( without live action scenes )?

The game is designed for multiple play-throughs. It would have to be insanely short for a multi play-through to be considered "short".

Heck, I've played through all the Max Payne games at least 3 times each. I've played through Alan Wake multiple times.

I normally don't do that, but Remedy's games are so good.

Theorry

You equating a 10 with 'perfect' is the only stupid thing, honestly. There is no such thing as a perfect game and a 10 just means it's a masterpiece.
Why even have a ten point scale if one of them is completely impossible to assign to any game.

And plenty of games still get showered with 10's this generation. GTAV, MGSV, Bloodborne, The Witcher 3.

Well i didnt decided that this scale was used. A 10 for my is something perfect.
If the game is a masterpiece they could also been said with a 9.5.

Gurish

It's not only extra time, is extra money. A while ago some ex-Ubi dev said that in AAA games most of the money is spent on the beggining because they know that not everyone reaches the end.

Pathetic.

If Devs wants the mainstream media and crowd to take their games seriously and treat it as a work of art, they should do so as well.

Why are reviewers always forgetting one of the most important parts? Length and replay value. This is a linear third person cover shooter for 70$. I need this info or I'm not going to buy it.

image.php

Sjefen

I don't remember the exact statistics, but I think less than 10% of users finish games. Not worth the effort.

yeah I have a couple of unfinished games myself, but mostly because of ridicoulous hard end bosses. I still think most reviewers play threw the game and judge the games thereafter

SomTervo

Pathetic.

If Devs wants the mainstream media and crowd to take their games seriously and treat it as a work of art, they should do so as well.

Unfortunately the statistics support that person. Something horrific like 80% of players don't make it half way through most games (probably exaggeration). There was research published about it last year i think - and you can easily see this from looking at how many people get trophies in any game. The trophy attainment from after the first few levels/missions of any game drops off really, really quickly. The manority of people play singleplayer games very little, on a game-per-game basis.

We are the minority.

Gurish

Unfortunately the statistics support that person. Something like 80% of players don't make it half way through most games. There was research published about it last year i think - and you can easily see this from looking at how many people get trophies in any game. The trophy attainment from after the first few levels/missions of any game drops off really, really quickly. The manority of people play singleplayer games very little, on a game-per-game basis.

We are the minority.

I wonder why is that, I mean games that are full of padded and recycled content I can get (even I quit MGS5) but for well paved games?

Wonder what is the statistic on U2.

There are different paths as I heard, but I don't know if that changes much to replay the game.

As I grew up and earn my money to buy new games, I don't care about replay value to be honest.

When. I grew up and starting buying my own games, that is exactly when I started caring about replay lol. I'm just cheap though.

Pretty good multiplayer though. Why it gets shoehorned into many games. Sadly, it isn't always implemented as well as this.

zsynqx

Great score

It's not only extra time, is extra money. A while ago some ex-Ubi dev said that in AAA games most of the money is spent on the beginning because they know that not everyone reaches the end.

Ubisoft predominantly make open world games. Surely the majority finish the more linear experiences.

SomTervo

Great score

Ubisoft predominantly make open world games. Surely the majority finish the more linear experiences.

You can find out yourself by going on the PSN and looking at what proportion of people unlocked the "game complete" trophies for various SP games.

I think you'll be disappointed. Most people boot a game up, have a blast, then shut it down and probably barely ever play it again. And they probably only own a handful of games at most, ever. Most people who pick games up are, quote, "filthy casuls".

foxbeldin

I wonder why is that, I mean games that are full of padded and recycled content I can get (even I quit MGS5) but for well paved games?

Wonder what is the statistic on U2.

Psnprofiles says U2 on PS3 was completed at least on easy by 67.5% of the people who played it.

edit : MGS5 on PS4 seems to stand at 37%

shandy706

You can find out yourself by going on the PSN and looking at what proportion of people unlocked the "game complete" trophies for various SP games.

I think you'll be disappointed. Most people boot a game up, have a blast, then shut it down and probably barely ever play it again. And they probably only own a handful of games at most, ever. Most people who pick games up are, quote, "filthy casuls".

Haha, this is true. My best friend has an Xbox One and only owns 10 or 11 games. He also has Steam on his PC (many people don't even play PC games), but I don't think he has more than 30 games on Steam.

Meanwhile I have over 100 Xbox One games and hundreds of Steam games.

Granted, I've not finished a LOT of my games either.

And U2 is probably one of the ones with highest completion rates :/

Yep, I beat Uncharted 2 also. What do the stats say about TLoU? I dropped out of it only a few hours in, too boring.

Edit**
PS3 : 65%
PS4 : 52%

Wow, only just above half of people that played it, played through it.

Top Bottom