• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break first Review by Jim Sterling

foxbeldin

Well the completion numbers you decribe here are far from "80% don't finish games".

Yup, looks like that was hyperbole.
Or maybe he was talking about COD's campaign, i remember reading a statement like that justifying why Titanfall didn't have a proper campaign.

aravuus

U2 and TLOU are very highly regarded and not too long linear games, though. It's no surprise "a lot" of people actually finish them, too.

The person who brought up the statistic was quoting an ex-Ubi employee. It shouldn't be surprising that many people don't finish Ubisoft games.

chadskin

Psnprofiles says U2 on PS3 was completed at least on easy by 67.5% of the people who played it.

edit : MGS5 on PS4 seems to stand at 37%

PSNProfiles only tracks those who use the site, not every PS3 owner who played the game. And those who use PSNProfiles are usually more on the "core gamer" side of things I would assume

If you compare the completion percentage of a game on PSNProfiles with the percentage on the console, you'll more often than not find a significant difference between the two.

For example, U2 on PS3:
PSNProfiles: 67.5% completion on easy
PSN: 43.9% completion on easy

nib95

Banned
Yeah those 10's back in the day were always stupid. No game is perfect.
They matured indeed abit. Sterling gave The Witcher also 8.5 so its not a bad to have to same.

What's stupid is thinking a 10 means perfect. 10 doesn't mean perfect, it's more like being utterly outstanding, and/or akin to being among the best in its genre at the time of review.

That's that Dark Souls karma.

Two weeks of shitting on Souls, Son! Wanna try for three?! HMMM?!

Was a honest mistake. I don't have an XB1, but this game looks to be right up my alley.

Theorry

What's stupid is thinking a 10 means perfect. 10 doesn't mean perfect, it's more like being utterly outstanding, and/or akin to being among the best in its genre at the time of review.

What is perfect then? 11?
And a 9.5 can say the same thing.

Theorry

There is no such thing as a perfect game

So 10's shouldnt be allowed. You can make something fancy about it. But a 10 means perfect in anyway. If its not that what is the point of scale of 10.
So i am glad this gen is gets thrown alot less more.

nib95

Banned

There is no such thing as perfect. No game that has ever been made, or that will ever be made, is or will be perfect. If you get close enough to perfect, or simply among the pinnacle of the said genre, that can to many be sufficient to warrant a 10.

Theorry

There is no such thing as perfect. No game that has ever been made, or that will ever be made, is or will be perfect. If you get close enough to perfect, or simply among the pinnacle of the said genre, that can to many be sufficient to warrant a 10.

I disagree with that. But well lets move on.

Well the completion numbers you decribe here are far from "80% don't finish games".

I don't know what the actual statistic is, but I bet the number drops significantly when you start to count non-linear or significantly longer games. For example that 35% statistic on MGSV.

Orca

Do people have this kind of inane argument over 5/5 book or movie reviews? NO BOOK IS PERFECT! THERE WAS A DANGLING PARTICIPLE ON PAGE 156!

Mr Git

uFJGmM6sPZHW.gif

Oh boy. I'll wait for tomorrow and read it! Maybe spoiler the score in the OP, I like to read the text first. :p

ElNino

Do people have this kind of inane argument over 5/5 book or movie reviews? NO BOOK IS PERFECT! THERE WAS A DANGLING PARTICIPLE ON PAGE 156!
Or restaurants, resorts, Amazon reviews, etc.

Anything can be perfect to you, and thus get a perfect score despite it being accepted that it might not be perfect to everyone. A review cannot be expected to score the game for everyone, as that would be impossible, so we get their opinion.

Granted, a "professional" review might be looked at with a bit more objectivity than the average Amazon review, but it doesn't completely take their personal subjective opinion out of their score.

Great score!
Predicting 90-94 at meta.

I'm predicting an 88. That's what my Ten Games thread score is and I'm sticking with it!

Yes there is and it is called Tetris.

Gator86

Predicting 79 metascore all told. The single-player Remedy romp isn't going to hit the right strings for everyone and the TV-show part might end up being really divisive.

Good to see Sterling liked it though. A ton of work went into QB.

I'm going with this too. It seems like a game that critics would mostly shrug at these days. I'm excited to gamefly it, but nothing I've seen or heard so far tells me to spend money on it.

Totally not a cover shooter. Neither is Uncharted or Tomb Raider.

2e130c55e0c2763c8a20_c7a4d0feffd26319b59c92c4aecae366.r18.cf1.a82cbd49ec9a71636bebc68d3ee8342a.gif

It's a shooter that has a cover system. If you intend to stay behind cover as your main tactic, you'll get wrecked. A true "cover shooter" is something like Gears where that is literally your main tool for defense. This game has a ton of defensive and offensive options.

Theorry

It not a real cover shooter like Division or Gears. It as contact based cover. But thats it really. All the previews said that also. Like this.

"The gameplay is really offensive. It introduces itselfs as a cover shooter but then teaches you very quick that you cant stay behind cover.for a period of time because you get rushed like crazy. And the Ai is designed to push you out of cover like Tomb Raider really."

"Combat is empowering – you’re effectively a superhero after all – but throughout the first four acts of the game you rarely feel overpowered, as groups of enemies work together to take you down. Furthermore, enemies who have some time-based abilities of their own are hinted at for later on in the game and so you’re encouraged to make canny use of your powers in combination with one another to get up close to enemies, rather than become over reliant on sticking to cover and taking pot-shots from afar."

Ricky_R

It not a real cover shooter like Division or Gears. It as contact based cover. But thats it really. All the previews said that also. Like this.

"The gameplay is really offensive. It introduces itselfs as a cover shooter but then teaches you very quick that you cant stay behind cover.for a period of time because you get rushed like crazy. And the Ai is designed to push you out of cover like Tomb Raider really."

"Combat is empowering – you’re effectively a superhero after all – but throughout the first four acts of the game you rarely feel overpowered, as groups of enemies work together to take you down. Furthermore, enemies who have some time-based abilities of their own are hinted at for later on in the game and so you’re encouraged to make canny use of your powers in combination with one another to get up close to enemies, rather than become over reliant on sticking to cover and taking pot-shots from afar."

So a more versatile cover shooter? ;)

lol it's got the Alan Wake problem.

Great engrossing story, solid mechanics and gameplay, but a disappointing and unsatisfying ending.

Honestly, that kills it for me. It will prevent me from getting the game full price.

Theorry

Great engrossing story, solid mechanics and gameplay, but a disappointing and unsatisfying ending.

Honestly, that kills it for me. It will prevent me from getting the game full price.

You read all the reviews from tomorrow already?

Karak

It's a shooter that has a cover system. If you intend to stay behind cover as your main tactic, you'll get wrecked. A true "cover shooter" is something like Gears where that is literally your main tool for defense. This game has a ton of defensive and offensive options.

This is 100% correct. My review is already done and ready for the embargo but I think its safe to say that there will be conversation about this in particular when the reviews come out.

EGM1966

Today is tomorrow. Good score.

I'm going with 84% to 89% meta-score. If a SP only game with large amount of cut-scenes breaks 90% I'll be amazed. Not that I think this shouldn't happen (as I play more SP these days again) but because that just doesn't seem to be the general critical consensus these days.

Karak

Digital Homicide is that you?

Jim is this your alt?

Today is tomorrow. Good score.

I'm going with 84% to 89% meta-score. If a SP only game with large amount of cut-scenes breaks 90% I'll be amazed. Not that I think this shouldn't happen (as I play more SP these days again) but because that just doesn't seem to be the general critical consensus these days.

Hopefully people judge those cutscenes and not that they are "a large amount"

Glad to hear the game is reviewing well, I'm hoping the W10 keys are seperate for digital pre orders since my friend digitally preordered on xbox one and he will sell me the windows 10 key for $25. Gonna wait until the may UWP patch to play though, since I have a gSync monitor.

Be really curious as to what the end result is when comparing W10 to xbox one in terms of visuals.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

It is pointless to have a scale that can't use its full spectrum. 10 is just the highest recommendation a reviewer can give, not a perfect game. It was never that, and it never will be because there will never be a perfect game.

ethomaz

Banned
After Division get 80 on meta (with chances to go 70ishi) I lowered my expectation with QB.

Prediction: 84 meta.

TheKeyPit

Banned
cross post:
That first sentence could be applied to a lot of games. Take the parkour out of Titanfall and you got a standardized shooter. "Time is power". No wonder that Quantum Break relies on its time powers. That's the reason it is slightly different than other generic TPS where you just normally shoot stuff.

SomTervo

Haha, this is true. My best friend has an Xbox One and only owns 10 or 11 games. He also has Steam on his PC (many people don't even play PC games), but I don't think he has more than 30 games on Steam.

Meanwhile I have over 100 Xbox One games and hundreds of Steam games.

Granted, I've not finished a LOT of my games either.

Exactly - and it sounds like he's a more "hardcore" gamer than most, too. With the PC and everything.

Yep, I beat Uncharted 2 also. What do the stats say about TLoU? I dropped out of it only a few hours in, too boring.

:(

TLoU picks up massively about a third of the way in (6 hours or so). Then it keeps up its amazing momentum and gameplay for the next ~10 hours to become one of the greatest games ever.

PSNProfiles only tracks those who use the site, not every PS3 owner who played the game. And those who use PSNProfiles are usually more on the "core gamer" side of things I would assume

If you compare the completion percentage of a game on PSNProfiles with the percentage on the console, you'll more often than not find a significant difference between the two.

For example, U2 on PS3:
PSNProfiles: 67.5% completion on easy
PSN: 43.9% completion on easy

Jesus!

I'm definitely sticking by the PSN stats.

That was not Alan Wakes' only problem.

Thabass

The ramifications wouldn't be legal, as this was not a signed NDA. Microsoft may choose not to talk to me ever again though. :)

It's not the first time I've flubbed a date - or indeed anybody has. Usually publishers are understanding of an honest mistake. We'll see, at any rate.

Sucks man. Hopefully they won't sting you too bad for it. :)

nib95

Banned
The ramifications wouldn't be legal, as this was not a signed NDA. Microsoft may choose not to talk to me ever again though. :)

It's not the first time I've flubbed a date - or indeed anybody has. Usually publishers are understanding of an honest mistake. We'll see, at any rate.

At least it's a positive review and solid score lol. Otherwise they might have been even less impressed :p

shandy706

:(

TLoU picks up massively about a third of the way in (6 hours or so). Then it keeps up its amazing momentum and gameplay for the next ~10 hours to become one of the greatest games ever.

I'll probably go back to it one day. I was a bit washed out on the ND formula of gameplay when I played it.

My backlog is just so huge....and then I want to play new games too, like QB on Tuesday.

Top Bottom