• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break PC and Xbox One Patch in the Works

http://community.remedygames.com/forum/games/quantum-break/261576-quantum-break-status-update

Windows 10 Issues & Solutions

Stuttering Frame-Rate / Frame Pacing
There was a major rounding error introduced into our refresh rate predictions on shipping. A solution to this issue is already being worked on; we expect it to be resolved in a Quantum Break Title Update launching in the near future.

Windows 10 Performance Issues
Remedy is looking into how to improve the overall performance of the game. Part of that is working closely with AMD and NVIDIA to address issues and improve the gameplay experience.

Sometimes, after a longer play session, the game can end up to a state where the video memory becomes fragmented, and an important asset gets moved to system memory, which slows the rendering performance significantly. This problem is very rare and Remedy will continue to investigate and improve the video memory behavior in future updates.

If you experience this issue, exiting and restarting Quantum Break will resolve this issue for now. This is one way to identify if you have encountered this issue or if it’s another potential problem.

Graphics Drivers:
We recommend, for AMD Radeon GPU’s, AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.4.1

We recommend, for NVIDIA GPU’s, 362.00 from NVIDIA.

Keep in mind, these drivers might have an impact on other software on your computer.

Windows 10 Frame Rate Locked?
In May, Microsoft will be enabling the ability for developers to disable v-sync and adding support for G-Sync and Freesync monitors. This means that UWP games running in full screen, borderless windowed mode will have all of the performance advantages of traditional full screen exclusive mode.

No Option to Quit from Main Menu
We hear you! By popular demand, we are adding an exit option to the main menu in an upcoming title update. For now, similar to all Windows 10 apps, you will need to use Alt-F4 or move the mouse cursor to top right corner of the window to the see the X icon, which you can click to exit the game.

Crashing on Launch
We have been able to repro at least one reason for a rare crash on launch– with some SIMD instructions that require SSE4.1. We are working on fixing that in a future title update, and will fix any other issues we find as they are reported.

Image Quality
We are working on giving users more control to turn on and off features like film grain. We love the artistic choice for our game, but we also want to give PC gamers more choice and this will come in a future update.

Does Quantum Break support SLI or other multi-GPU solutions?
Quantum Break on Windows 10 unfortunately doesn’t support DirectX12 multi-GPU rendering. Due to the engine architecture, the work needed to support multiple GPUs would have been significant and out of scope for Remedy for Quantum Break.

Render technique and resolution on Windows 10
The Windows 10 version of Quantum Break uses the same reconstruction method as on Xbox One. If your resolution is set to 1080p, the game temporally reconstructs the image (except UI) from four 720p buffers rendered with 4xMSAA, just like on Xbox One. Engine assigns input geometry samples from 4xMSAA rendering into shaded clusters in order to maximize covered geometry while keeping the performance on acceptable level by reducing expensive shaded samples. When you change the resolution, the buffers used to construct the image are always 2/3rds of the set resolution, i.e. in 2560x1440 they would be 1706x960.

Download Issues
We are aware some users are having issues downloading the game from the Windows Store. There are some known bugs with the way the progress bar is rendered. Microsoft is standing by to help anyone who has issues downloading and the Windows 10 Anniversary Update this summer will massively improve the overall experience for these kinds of big games.

General Issues & Solutions (Xbox One and Windows 10)

Light Flare / Blinking Lights
This is a known issue. A permanent fix is being introduced in the next Title Update in the near future. For now, the problem can be resolved by exiting and re-launching the game.

Film Grain
This is an artistic choice from Remedy Entertainment. We wanted a cinematic look for our game and “film grain” is part of that look. Depending on the brand of TV you use or if your Xbox One is connected to a monitor, the film grain can look very different. Always use “Game Mode” on your television if such a feature exists. Make sure you adjust your sharpness setting down on your monitor or TV as well as the brightness setting in Quantum Break.”

Ambient Subtitles
While atmosphere is an important part of Quantum Break, we decided to not include subtitles for ambient sound (e.g.– in-game radio broadcasts) to ensure those subtitles did not conflict or overlap with the subtitles for actual character dialogue.

No Dialogue on Xbox One
If your game is missing dialogue, this is probably because you are listening in stereo, but the Xbox One is set to play back surround 5.1 or 7.1.

To solve this on Xbox One:
Scroll left from Home to open the guide
Select Settings
Select All Settings
Select Display & Sound
Select Audio output
Set the output to Stereo
Cloud Save Issue on Windows 10 and Xbox One
Cloud save issues with the Windows 10 version of Quantum Break have been resolved with the March update (Windows 10 Version 10586.164, 64-bit only). To avoid any issues, please switch Microsoft accounts before signing in to the Xbox app and/or check Windows Update to ensure that you are using the latest version of Windows 10.

We are aware of this issue on Xbox One and are working to address it in a future update. To avoid any issues, please quit the game before turning off your console.

Lister

Banned
DX12 makes great SLI scalability possible, but the required work is much more significant than before, and NEEDS to be done by the developer.

I think SLI is dead.

Hopefully the patch fixes the game's issues so I can finally pick it up!

It all sounds good except for the render technique. That's going to continue to lower the game's IQ when it's set to a resolution that a given computer is comfortable with.

I was holding off on finishing the game until I could get my PC key because I thought it would provide a better visual experience. I might as well just keep playing it on console.

BiggNife

About time. So the patch is meant to fix all the highlighted issues then in one fell swoop?

Not all of them. If you read the text it sounds like they have no intention of changing the fact that the game renders assets at 2/3rds the set resolution, which is honestly kind of baffling.

The other changes sound good.

Cels

Quantum Break on Windows 10 unfortunately doesn’t support DirectX12 multi-GPU rendering. Due to the engine architecture, the work needed to support multiple GPUs would have been significant and out of scope for Remedy for Quantum Break.

read: we will not support multi-GPU setups in Quantum Break; it's too much work.

The Windows 10 version of Quantum Break uses the same reconstruction method as on Xbox One. If your resolution is set to 1080p, the game temporally reconstructs the image (except UI) from four 720p buffers rendered with 4xMSAA, just like on Xbox One. Engine assigns input geometry samples from 4xMSAA rendering into shaded clusters in order to maximize covered geometry while keeping the performance on acceptable level by reducing expensive shaded samples. When you change the resolution, the buffers used to construct the image are always 2/3rds of the set resolution, i.e. in 2560x1440 they would be 1706x960.

read: Quantum Break renders at nonnative resolution on PC, just like XB1, and we won't be changing that.

mcrommert

Banned
DX12 makes great SLI scalability possible, but the required work is much more significant than before, and NEEDS to be done by the developer.

I think SLI is dead.

SLI was dying before DX12 happened. I have not understood for a while why people would buy multiple cards for small gains

NIN90

This quote is just... God UWP is so dumb. The notion of Microsoft having to allow this stuff is so ridiculous.
In May, Microsoft will be enabling the ability for developers to disable v-sync and adding support for G-Sync and Freesync monitors. This means that UWP games running in full screen, borderless windowed mode will have all of the performance advantages of traditional full screen exclusive mode.

Freiya

SLI was dying before DX12 happened. I have not understood for a while why people would buy multiple cards for small gains
Small gains my ass. My 980ti sli gives me 60fps in Witcher 3 at 4k. You aren't doing 4k without sli. Dx12 is just garbage, sli support was fine before dx12 and uwp.

Kezen

Banned

I think SLI is dead.

I also think multi GPU owners are in for a shock, there is very little chance devs will put the required amount of work to support such a niche feature.

And this will slow down 4k's adoption on PC.

Hello!

I did not know this. So this is for all Windows 10 games?

Freiya

I also think multi GPU owners are in for a shock, there is very little chance devs will put the required amount of work to support such a niche feature.

And this will slow down 4k's adoption on PC.
It's really horrible. I can't believe I was so happy for dx12 thinking sli would see a boost. How misinformed I was lol.

epmode

That bit about the non-native rendering is pretty much a dealbreaker. It's a nice technique to get the game running on underpowered hardware but PC users should have the option of fully native rendering.

Not that I'd buy a UWP game or anything.

I did not know this. So this is for all Windows 10 games?

All UWP games, which effectively means everything sold on Microsoft's Windows 10 store.

Nokterian

The Windows 10 version of Quantum Break uses the same reconstruction method as on Xbox One. If your resolution is set to 1080p, the game temporally reconstructs the image (except UI) from four 720p buffers rendered with 4xMSAA, just like on Xbox One. Engine assigns input geometry samples from 4xMSAA rendering into shaded clusters in order to maximize covered geometry while keeping the performance on acceptable level by reducing expensive shaded samples. When you change the resolution, the buffers used to construct the image are always 2/3rds of the set resolution, i.e. in 2560x1440 they would be 1706x960

I can't...i just can't believe this is really there unbelievable instead of being full 1080p like all other games on the market no wonder it looks like a blurry mess on PC.

jrcbandit

Well triple and quad SLI setups were never a good deal when it came to scaling for cost. But dual GPUs actually works pretty well for scaling when there is proper support. Before the 980ti came out, dual 970s were a far better deal than a single 980 for the cost involved, with a big caveat - this was all before it was revealed that Nvidia straight up lied about the memory onboard the 970, a situation that was absolutely disgusting, Nvidia even tried to play it off as a favor to consumers.

That said, I'm done with SLI forever. Nvidia drivers have been horrible for the past year or so with no SLI support, horrible scaling support, or month or two late support. Also, anytime a custom engine is used in a game with DX12, it won't have SLI support due to all the extra work involved. What about Unreal Engine 4, is DX12 SLI support already baked in?

Adaren

The Feel of 1080p™

Or more like "The Feel of Whatever-resolution-you-actually-wanted-to-run-the-game-at"

Synth

We hear you! By popular demand, we are adding an exit option to the main menu in an upcoming title update. For now, similar to all Windows 10 apps, you will need to use Alt-F4 or move the mouse cursor to top right corner of the window to the see the X icon, which you can click to exit the game.

Such bullshit. Show some accountability ffs. Don't try to act like platform is responsible for you not putting in something so obvious. You're basically the first the fuck this up.

About time. So the patch is meant to fix all the highlighted issues then in one fell swoop?

No. Read it? Some of the stuff they don't want to fix or think it's not a problem.

Reconstruction is by design, SLI isn't possible to them, yadayada.

KORNdoggy

if they're adding the option to remove grain on PC why not xbox. why is it a fixed artistic choice on xbox, but something they will change on PC? it seems it would help the low IQ issues at least a little.

He specifically says multi-GPU either way so this DX12 game doesn't do anything beyond 1 GPU of any kind... which is interesting because DX12 is supposed to come with a feature that can use Integrated GPU to free up some resources but not in this case.

Tovarisc

Roll back your drivers two months for the optimal experience. Astounding.

Remedy sure knows how to please the PC crowd this way...

That is on Nvidia, not on Remedy. Drivers that NV been pushing out as of late have been mostly hot garbage, causing all kinds of minor and major problems for users. Drivers Remedy are suggesting are more or less last actually good drivers NV has released.

Banned
http://community.remedygames.com/forum/games/quantum-break/261576-quantum-break-status-update

Windows 10 Issues & Solutions

There was a major rounding error introduced into our refresh rate predictions on shipping. A solution to this issue is already being worked on; we expect it to be resolved in a Quantum Break Title Update launching in the near future.

Windows 10 Performance Issues
Remedy is looking into how to improve the overall performance of the game. Part of that is working closely with AMD and NVIDIA to address issues and improve the gameplay experience.

Sometimes, after a longer play session, the game can end up to a state where the video memory becomes fragmented, and an important asset gets moved to system memory, which slows the rendering performance significantly. This problem is very rare and Remedy will continue to investigate and improve the video memory behavior in future updates.

If you experience this issue, exiting and restarting Quantum Break will resolve this issue for now. This is one way to identify if you have encountered this issue or if it’s another potential problem.

Graphics Drivers:
We recommend, for AMD Radeon GPU’s, AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.4.1

We recommend, for NVIDIA GPU’s, 362.00 from NVIDIA.

Keep in mind, these drivers might have an impact on other software on your computer.

Crashing on Launch
We have been able to repro at least one reason for a rare crash on launch– with some SIMD instructions that require SSE4.1. We are working on fixing that in a future title update, and will fix any other issues we find as they are reported.

Image Quality
We are working on giving users more control to turn on and off features like film grain. We love the artistic choice for our game, but we also want to give PC gamers more choice and this will come in a future update.

Download Issues
We are aware some users are having issues downloading the game from the Windows Store. There are some known bugs with the way the progress bar is rendered. Microsoft is standing by to help anyone who has issues downloading and the Windows 10 Anniversary Update this summer will massively improve the overall experience for these kinds of big games.

General Issues & Solutions (Xbox One and Windows 10)

Light Flare / Blinking Lights
This is a known issue. A permanent fix is being introduced in the next Title Update in the near future. For now, the problem can be resolved by exiting and re-launching the game.

Film Grain
This is an artistic choice from Remedy Entertainment. We wanted a cinematic look for our game and “film grain” is part of that look. Depending on the brand of TV you use or if your Xbox One is connected to a monitor, the film grain can look very different. Always use “Game Mode” on your television if such a feature exists. Make sure you adjust your sharpness setting down on your monitor or TV as well as the brightness setting in Quantum Break.”

Ambient Subtitles
While atmosphere is an important part of Quantum Break, we decided to not include subtitles for ambient sound (e.g.– in-game radio broadcasts) to ensure those subtitles did not conflict or overlap with the subtitles for actual character dialogue.

No Dialogue on Xbox One
If your game is missing dialogue, this is probably because you are listening in stereo, but the Xbox One is set to play back surround 5.1 or 7.1.

To solve this on Xbox One:
Scroll left from Home to open the guide
Select Settings
Select All Settings
Select Display & Sound
Select Audio output
Set the output to Stereo
Cloud Save Issue on Windows 10 and Xbox One
Cloud save issues with the Windows 10 version of Quantum Break have been resolved with the March update (Windows 10 Version 10586.164, 64-bit only). To avoid any issues, please switch Microsoft accounts before signing in to the Xbox app and/or check Windows Update to ensure that you are using the latest version of Windows 10.

We are aware of this issue on Xbox One and are working to address it in a future update. To avoid any issues, please quit the game before turning off your console.
Gsync support in May? Aw yeah, fam!

nynt9

They haven't addressed 21:9 widescreen support, have said they won't fix some of the bigger issues, and haven't even addressed the 5/6 refresh rate issue.

They've also said to wait for UWP fixes that will come soon™.

Great!

Can't wait for the UWP *enthusiasts* to fill up this thread soon, telling us how we should be excited for the future of UWP.

Jrs3000

So this game is never going to display at at least native 1080p?

Nope, seems to me like Quantim break coming out on PC was last minute effort and the engine used is geared towards XB1. They probably didn't have time to rewrite it to be native on PC. It's nice it came out on PC but I think this game should've stayed on XB1 if it was a last minute thing.

I wonder how long the simultaneous PC release had been planned. It doesn't seem like a stretch to wonder if it was a pretty late decision.

Montresor

Such bullshit. Show some accountability ffs. Don't try to act like platform is responsible for you not putting in something so obvious. You're basically the first the fuck this up.

They have said they are going to fix this and you are basically saying "that's not good enough - someone at Remedy has to fall on their sword for this".

Mohasus

and haven't even addressed the 5/6 refresh rate issue.

Do they even need to?

You aren't going to solve this without solving the 5/6 refresh rate.

jrcbandit

That is on Nvidia, not on Remedy. Drivers that NV been pushing out as of late have been mostly hot garbage, causing all kinds of minor and major problems for users. Drivers Remedy are suggesting are more or less last actually good drivers NV has released.
Yep, Nvidia is on my s*** list, their drivers have been total crap lately (aside from the whole 970 fiasco I'm still angry about lol). The 364 divers cause lots of crashes, down clock some cards, cause cards to run at higher temps (maybe even killed a few cards), and the drivers totally ruined my Windows 10 installation that I had to do a complete reinstall (after removing 364 drivers, no Nvidia drivers would install period no matter what I attempted). I'm back on 362 and much happier.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

What in the goddamn fuck is this crap? This seems so unnecessarily complicated and stupid.

Here is an idea, let my PC render the game natively at 1080p and then let me choose what version of AA I want to add.

Jesus christ this shit is unnecessary.

Synth

They have said they are going to fix this and you are basically saying "that's not good enough - someone at Remedy has to fall on their sword for this".

No... I'm saying that they shouldn't act as though the failure to include it in the first place isn't entirely on them. "Similar to all Windows 10 apps" would suggest other games of this ilk exhibit this behaviour too. They don't. This would be like saying "similar to all desktop applications you will need to Alt+F4 or use the X at the corner" because that's true of MS Office or whatever. It's on them.

This quote is just... God UWP is so dumb. The notion of Microsoft having to allow this stuff is so ridiculous.

This is really my biggest problem with UWP and should really be everyone's problem. Would G-sync and Freesync have ever been invented if AMD and Nvidia had to contact Microsoft about this new tech? Someone at Microsoft could just reply "lol nobody is going to buy expensive monitors for that, bye" and we would not have them.

With win32 they could just do it, they're free to do whatever they want.

No... I'm saying that they shouldn't act as though the failure to include it in the first place isn't entirely on them. "Similar to all Windows 10 apps" would suggest other games of this ilk exhibit this behaviour too. They don't. This would be like saying "similar to all desktop applications you will need to Alt+F4 or use the X at the corner" because that's true of MS Office or whatever. It's on them.

If Killer Instinct, Gears of War Ultimate and Rise of the Tomb Raider's W10 app version have this functionality, they are actually correct. The problem is that it's stupidly confusing that MS has two different app platforms in one operating system.

What in the goddamn fuck is this crap? This seems so unnecessarily complicated and stupid.

Here is an idea, let my PC render the game natively at 1080p and then let me choose what version of AA I want to add.

The issue is, this is how its rendered on Xbox One. It seems obvious that they did not have enough budget to re-write their engine to allow native rendering on PC.

It's a shame. Microsoft should not have forced their hand on the PC release. It sounds like that's exactly what happened.

scitek

It's their way of saying it will never be "fixed," so they are telling you how to figure out what custom resolution you should make and use that to run the game at a native resolution instead. It's the best we're going to get.

If Killer Instinct, Gears of War Ultimate and Rise of the Tomb Raider's W10 app version have this functionality, they are actually correct. The problem is that it's stupidly confusing that MS has two different app platforms in one operating system.

Those three games also have the ability to quit with a controller, so they're wrong.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The issue is, this is how its rendered on Xbox One. It seems obvious that they did not have enough budget to re-write their engine to allow native rendering on PC.

It's a shame. Microsoft should not have forced their hand on the PC release. It sounds like that's exactly what happened.

Its this bullshit, why people have abandoned the PC as a gaming platform all together. So many games require a god tier level of components to even run at performance comparable to PC.

"Get a PC" means spend $1000s of dollars to sometimes get better IQ and performance than PS4 and X1.

scitek

Its this bullshit, why people have abandoned the PC as a gaming platform all together. So many games require a god tier level of components to even run at performance comparable to PC.

"Get a PC" means spend $1000s of dollars to sometimes get better IQ and performance than PS4 and X1.

No, it doesn't. You can exceed Xbox One levels of quality just fine with a sub-$1000 PC, even with this game.

Top Bottom