• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break PC and Xbox One Patch in the Works

Qassim

Its this bullshit, why people have abandoned the PC as a gaming platform all together. So many games require a god tier level of components to even run at performance comparable to PC.

"Get a PC" means spend $1000s of dollars to sometimes get better IQ and performance than PS4 and X1.

What are you even talking about?

Games like this are the exception, not the rule.

Jonbo298

This is them literally saying, "Here's what to divide by, make a custom resolution and fix it yourself."

I felt like I needed to learn some Common Core math to optimize the experience after reading it. I appreciate the technical knowledge but it's stupidly complicated sounding for PC and makes me think the game is being "emulated" in Windows 10.

dr_rus

DX12 makes great SLI scalability possible, but the required work is much more significant than before, and NEEDS to be done by the developer.

I think SLI is dead.

Hopefully the patch fixes the game's issues so I can finally pick it up!

Not true. DX12 provides more options in organizing the mGPU rendering by the devs. They can just use the same old DX11 style AFR on implicit multiadapter and this will be the exact same effort as in DX11. Or they can use something better than AFR now and that will require some effort of course.

That is on Nvidia, not on Remedy. Drivers that NV been pushing out as of late have been mostly hot garbage, causing all kinds of minor and major problems for users. Drivers Remedy are suggesting are more or less last actually good drivers NV has released.

No, it's not. Current NV drivers are fine and 362.00 isn't in any way better. The funniest part is that 362.00 hasn't even brought any fixes compared to 361.91. It's on Remedy to make sure that their game works on the latest released driver version instead of suggesting to install something from two months ago. This just shows that they haven't even tested the PC version on NV's h/w let alone optimized the engine for it.

They haven't addressed 21:9 widescreen support, have said they won't fix some of the bigger issues, and haven't even addressed the 5/6 refresh rate issue.

They've also said to wait for UWP fixes that will come soon™.

Great!

Can't wait for the UWP *enthusiasts* to fill up this thread soon, telling us how we should be excited for the future of UWP.

Surely we need some UWP 'Enthusiasts' to counter balance your incessant negativity in said threads? Ying and Yang and all that :)

scitek

I felt like I needed to learn some Common Core math to optimize the experience after reading it. I appreciate the technical knowledge but it's stupidly complicated sounding for PC and makes me think the game is being "emulated" in Windows 10.

To run the game at 1080p, you'd need to make a custom resolution of 2880x1620 set the game to that in the menu. Or just use DSR if you have an Nvidia card.

Frozone

I'm so sorry that people aren't able to enjoy this stellar looking game. This game is IMO the best looking game this generation on the lighting/shading alone. I'm not getting bad framerate issues as most people here which is mysterious to me (running a Titan X w/362.00 drivers). I do get the framerate hitches and stalls, but they aren't anywhere near as bad as some profess on these boards.

I hope they can at least fix that part so we can get consistent framerates. The game is truly stellar looking and I can't think of any game that matches it's lighting to date.

The game isn't being emulated. It's just a quick and dirty port, with minimal polish.

scitek

I'm so sorry that people aren't able to enjoy this stellar looking game. This game is IMO the best looking game this generation on the lighting/shading alone. I'm not getting bad framerate issues as most people here which is mysterious to me (running a Titan X w/362.00 drivers). I do get the framerate hitches and stalls, but they aren't anywhere near as bad as some profess on these boards.

I hope they can at least fix that part so we can get consistent framerates. The game is truly stellar looking and I can't think of any game that matches it's lighting to date.

Guessing the 12GB of VRAM helps. I know my 970 stutters with Ultra textures and shadows on.

hawk2025

I'm getting framerate hitches and stalls on a Titan X, but it's not as bad as some say -- that's essentially what you are going for here?

Synth

If Killer Instinct, Gears of War Ultimate and Rise of the Tomb Raider's W10 app version have this functionality, they are actually correct. The problem is that it's stupidly confusing that MS has two different app platforms in one operating system.

All of those will allow you to quit the game via Alt-F4 (like practically everything on Windows ever) or clicking the X... none of those REQUIRE you to do that though. Because they include a "quit game" option on the menu screen...

rashbeep

Banned

The game would look fantastic if it weren't for the unfortunate IQ. Hopefully the performance gets better so it can be run at higher resolutions and still remain playable.

Composer

The sacrifice in IQ is likely due considerations made for the level of effects in the game. Anyone who has played on PC/XBONE can attest, this has got to be the most effects heavy game made in a long time, if not all time. There are so many layers of insane graphical effects being added in order to simulate the time 'stutters', for example. Remedy are good developers, they know what they are doing.

It is hands down the best looking game out right now. I've been running it on Low and it looks unbelievable. I got to see it on Ultra recently, which blew my mind.

Arkham Knight, Gears of War Ultimate Edition....

too fucking many.

That's 3 games. Yes it's frustrating, especially when 2 out of 3 of them are from Microsoft's dedication to PC gaming. You can't judge all games based on some bad ports.

That's like saying PS4 is horrible and you need to build a gaming PC to play games at even 30FPS because AC Unity runs at sub 20FPS.

They literally confirm their frame times are off, there is nothing "mysterious" about it, you are getting bad inconsistent FPS compared to any other game you've played. FPS is capped at 5/6 your refresh rate, the timings are off.

Nzyme32

Render technique and resolution on Windows 10
The Windows 10 version of Quantum Break uses the same reconstruction method as on Xbox One. If your resolution is set to 1080p, the game temporally reconstructs the image (except UI) from four 720p buffers rendered with 4xMSAA, just like on Xbox One. Engine assigns input geometry samples from 4xMSAA rendering into shaded clusters in order to maximize covered geometry while keeping the performance on acceptable level by reducing expensive shaded samples. When you change the resolution, the buffers used to construct the image are always 2/3rds of the set resolution, i.e. in 2560x1440 they would be 1706x960.

iiWg1Gv.gif

nOoblet16

So is it possible with UWP to run the game at a custom resolution higher than your monitor's display resolution so as to make the game render at native res?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So they are sticking to the 2/3rds internal rendering resolution.

I'll give this a miss.

Piggus

SLI was dying before DX12 happened. I have not understood for a while why people would buy multiple cards for small gains

SLI 970s gave me better performance in Witcher 3, GTAV, RotTR, and almost every other PC game I wanted to play than a Titan or 980ti. So it really depends on the game, as many have fantastic scaling while others don't. Unfortunately from now on it probably won't be worth it.

tuxfool

Banned
What in the goddamn fuck is this crap? This seems so unnecessarily complicated and stupid.

Here is an idea, let my PC render the game natively at 1080p and then let me choose what version of AA I want to add.

Jesus christ this shit is unnecessary.

Quite. There are other engines that allow for this on consoles but then render natively on PC (some even allow both).

And now I am mad I split the pre-order with a friend for the PC code. If I had known about that shitty rendering crap I wouldn't have bothered. FUCK, ok now I will stop buying UWP games I swear I'm done even if Crackdown comes until Microsoft makes it so the platform isn't so locked down. I bet someone could have fixed the rendering if the game were Win32. Goddamn I want my money back

Gestault

I like the "performance on acceptable level" part the most really.

GTX 970 has 3+ times more power than Xbox One's GPU = barely manages to hit 30 fps in 1080p.

I would imagine max detail settings on PC are pushing a lot more detail than the standard XB1 version, even looking past the much higher resolution.

dmix90

Yes. You have to change your desktop resolution in order to do it in-game.
Even then it will apply 4xMSAA to whatever new resolution for their magic buffers is after downsampling right? I think that will be unnecessarily costly. And god forbid them to include an option to tweak MSAA amount and other buffer resolution without downsampling( i hope i am wrong and they will allow to tweak that ).

score01

The issue is, this is how its rendered on Xbox One. It seems obvious that they did not have enough budget to re-write their engine to allow native rendering on PC.

It's a shame. Microsoft should not have forced their hand on the PC release. It sounds like that's exactly what happened.

But is this not UWP in a nutshell? Write once and bring the code to many devices? It's going to be bringing the same rendering tech across unless devs step in to re-write stuff. If they're gonna re-write stuff then they've lost one of the biggest advantages of UWP?

GHG

Gold Member
What in the goddamn fuck is this crap? This seems so unnecessarily complicated and stupid.

Here is an idea, let my PC render the game natively at 1080p and then let me choose what version of AA I want to add.

Basically this.

Even if you choose the option that will give you "native" 1080p the end result is still clouded in blur. It's actually impossible to get sharp IQ with this game at the moment.

vcc

Basically this.

Even if you choose the option that will give you "native" 1080p the end result is still clouded in blur. It's actually impossible to get sharp IQ with this game at the moment.

Seems like the made the engine with the core assumption it was a XB1 exclusive and the w10 store port came so late they couldn't change that assumption.

MultiGPU support won't be coming as long as Remedy uses the reconstruction technique that uses temporal buffering of frames, which is incompatible with AFR. It's the same reason why temporal AA solutions don't work with SLI/CF.

Still no Exclusive Full Screen, still uses the resolution reconstruction method rendering the games internal resolution at 2/3rds of it's set quality, and I still don't even have my code for pre-ordering.

I'm finishing the game on Xbox and moving forward I suppose, and I still refuse to support the UWP platform.

This is a shame too, because genuinely good titles like QB, Gears: UE and most likely Scalebound get ruined by a shitty platforn.

Trace

Banned
Look Remedy I don't care about your artistic choices and whatnot, I just want to play the game. Give me an option for 1080p, no temporal reconstruction needed. Hell, I'll even settle for FXAA.

Exactly. I was going to pick this game up in May after UWP added in Gsync support but now that they are keeping this rendering solution I have no desire to. It is a shame because I do want to play this game as I have enjoyed Remedy's previous offerings but I can't get behind something like this on PC.

If this game was left as a X1 only game I might have been more inclined to pick it up honestly.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
On the bright side Alan Wake for PC was absolutely top notch and you could get max detail 1080p/60fps with cheaper priced parts.

That fact gives me SOME confidence that Remedy can ultimately patch the game to acceptable levels.

epmode

On the bright side Alan Wake for PC was absolutely top notch and you could get max detail 1080p/60fps with cheaper priced parts.

That fact gives me SOME confidence that Remedy can ultimately patch the game to acceptable levels.

Remedy is historically an excellent developer when it comes to PC versions. All of the evidence points to an incredibly rushed and/or underfunded port.

PC gaming is better off when MS isn't trying to save it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Remedy is historically an excellent developer when it comes to PC versions. All of the evidence points to an incredibly rushed and/or underfunded port.

PC gaming is better off when MS isn't trying to save it.

yeah, it really sucks ass, because jsut when you hope they might be getting better, they get worse.

ViciousDS

Banned
small patch and more like fucking deal with it.......dear havens that's a lot of explaining more than a lot of we plan to fix it.

Also lol at all the xbox one complaints, almost every single one is a design choice and fucking deal with it. Come on, let people turn off film grain if they want its not that fucking hard.

Lister

Banned
SLI was dying before DX12 happened. I have not understood for a while why people would buy multiple cards for small gains

When SLI works well you can see closer to 90% or higher improvement inf rame rates. That requires being GPU bound and a game that scales well, so deifnitley not somehting that happens in eveyr game, but in games that support SLI well, I was definitley seeing close 90% improvement over a single card at 1440p back when I was running SLI.

I do agree that the extra $350+ for a diminishing number of supported games stopped being worth it long ago, IMHO.

Its this bullshit, why people have abandoned the PC as a gaming platform all together. So many games require a god tier level of components to even run at performance comparable to PC.

"Get a PC" means spend $1000s of dollars to sometimes get better IQ and performance than PS4 and X1.

I hope this is some kind of sarcasm.

Not true. DX12 provides more options in organizing the mGPU rendering by the devs. They can just use the same old DX11 style AFR on implicit multiadapter and this will be the exact same effort as in DX11. Or they can use something better than AFR now and that will require some effort of course.

But DX11 multi-adapter AFR usually required Nvidia involment to get working well, so you still have THAT issue. HEnce why I think it's dead. No one will invest in taking full advantage of the SLI goodies in DX12, and less and less games will continue to support the old way of SLI (as I understand many modern effects have issues runnign in AFR SLI).

Ok Remedy, FINE, I'll do the math... Let's see I want to run in 4K so...

3840 * 2160 = 8,294,400 and 2/3 = .667 so we'll just take the 8,294,400 * .667 = 5,532,364 so I'll create a custom resolution for 5,532,364 K with 33 980Ti's...

5c4.jpg

This resolution scaling they're doing with the PC version is literally the dumbest thing I've seen this year in PC gaming...

In May, Microsoft will be enabling the ability for developers to disable v-sync and adding support for G-Sync and Freesync monitors. This means that UWP games running in full screen, borderless windowed mode will have all of the performance advantages of traditional full screen exclusive mode.

Gross gross gross gross gross so fucking gross.

Top Bottom