• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break PC performance thread

epmode

Remedy are on the hook for the state the game is currently in.

I agree with this. Considerng Remedy's history with PC, it's more likely to be a rushed port than anything else.

I just lose my mind a little when I remember all the people in those other threads talking about how shit ports won't happen since the developers know that UWP prevents enduser fixes.

My god, this is terrible. I've been a little bit of a UWP apologist, thinking we should give the platform time to mature, but what the fuck. It's like they're trying to kill the platform. Why in God's name would M$/Remedy allow this trash to be released? They had to have known that people weren't going to be happy. They should've delayed it until it was properly working.

Saul

Banned
I just lose my mind a little when I remember all the people in those other threads talking about how shit ports won't happen since the developers know that UWP prevents enduser fixes.

This game obviously wasn't built as an UWP app.

dr_rus

I'm having trouble understanding. If I had the game(which I won't unless I can get it someday after it's been patches many times and it won't cost me more than $10)and set it to 1080p, it's not actually 1080p?

From the results we're getting it can be assumed that the game is using the same resolution reconstruction technique as on XBO. Thus when you select 1080p in game's settings what you're really getting is 720p+MSAA4x reconstructed into 1080p by a shader program. If you select 1440p you're getting something akin to 1707x960+MSAA4x reconstructed into 2560x1440 and if you're selecting 4K you're getting 2560x1440+MSAA4x reconstructed into 3840x2160.

I agree with this. Considerng Remedy's history with PC, it's more likely to be a rushed port than anything else.

If developers started supporting DX12 multi gpu I'd be *much* happier than I am currently with them. I shouldn't see more than 2x the performance when I run the Steam version of a game over the same game bought from the Windows store. That's the biggest issue with them for me, and DX12 could theoretically fix it if developers bother to implement it's many multi gpu options.

But only Ashes of the Singularity has bothered so far, to my knowledge. I can't understand why MS isn't pushing the developers of the games they're publishing to leverage what looks to be really well implemented options (based on Ashes) in the API they themselves created.

jony_m

First impressions with 6700k@4.6, 980Ti STRIX, 16G DDR4/2400.

First impressions are not good. I am standing where the gameplay starts.

-Using fullscreen with 1440p is a slideshow, with GPU usage jumping between 100% and 10% wildly. There's is obviously something very wrong here, it's not a matter of performance.

-It's better if I either
a) Disable fullscreen - who wants to play with window border...
b) Lower the resolution to 1080p, in which I'm looking at around 60% GPU usage in the staring scene. I'd love to tell you what FPS I'm getting, but even running Afterburner on my second monitor doesn't show fps. UWP to thank, I suppose.
c) Limit to 30fps. Then it runs fine... for 30 fps.

-Game is REALLY VRAM hungry. Up to 5 gigs used instant in 1440p, 4 gigs at 1080p.

-Really hard to say anything about IQ between 1080p and 1440p, since 1440p is such a slideshow. With all the blur effects etc going on, it's hard to pay attention to details if the framerate isn't high enough.

Since I've seen people post about using 1440p and not having this severe slideshow issue (I am talking about 2-3 fps), I'd welcome any ideas on what might be wrong at my end. Going to try disabling my second monitor now.

What driver version? I'm on 364.72, I have similar hardware and it seem to perform much better for me at 1440p w/maxed settings.

ramshot

What driver version? I'm on 364.72, I have similar hardware and it seem to perform much better for me at 1440p w/maxed settings.

Same drivers. It's weird.

To other user suggesting I'm running out of VRAM, I'm not. Capped out around 5 gigs, and the card has 6. Dropping every single setting down to low/medium does not fix the issue at 1440p, only limiting to 30fps or going windowed does.

Disabling second monitor did not help. Next up, reseting nvidia settings.

Fardeen

the whole point of UWP is to code once and use on many devices such as IoT and xbox and windows 10 . it would not suprise me if this game uses the same straight up UWP file for the xbox

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.

The only thing that helps preventing (at least help more) shit ports is a refund policy. Without it, that's the reality end-users face.

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, I haven't read up on Microsoft's policy.

Is there a refund policy on the Windows 10 store similar to Steam?

Saul

Banned
the whole point of UWP is to code once and use on many devices such as IoT and xbox and windows 10 . it would not suprise me if this game uses the same straight up UWP file for the xbox

Exactly, but Quantum Break wasn't planned as a UWP app from the ground up, I imagine it was decided much later that QB was to be released on Windows 10 PCs as well.

Therefore QB is a X1 game ported on PC, whereas future UWP games will be optimized for both platforms from ground up.

ramshot

Same drivers. It's weird.

To other user suggesting I'm running out of VRAM, I'm not. Capped out around 5 gigs, and the card has 6. Dropping every single setting down to low/medium does not fix the issue at 1440p, only limiting to 30fps or going windowed does.

Disabling second monitor did not help. Next up, reseting nvidia settings.

Reseting nvidia 3D settings solved it. I have no idea which one of my settings was at fault, but it might be worth a penny to someone at some point to know that you might have to try out with the defaults. I have a gsync monitor just in case that matters.

FPS at 1440p seems below 60. Now for the time taking bit... finding the right settings. Lucky for me I enjoy that part!

dr_rus

Thx for these. Still reconstructed with AA set to off. This is some internal option not exposed to the user.

In fact, AA set to off elminiates the blur that makes seeing it that much harder.... here it is very obvious though.
hair3hdu8l.png

This AA option is just some TAA and PPAA applied on top of the already reconstructed image.

I don't think that we can do much here but wait for a patch from Remedy which will allow us to disable the "feature" in PC version.

Exactly, but Quantum Break wasn't planned as a UWP app from the ground up, I imagine it was decided much later that QB was to be released on Windows 10 PCs as well.

Therefore QB is a X1 game ported on PC, whereas future UWP games will be optimized for both platforms from ground up.

Riiiiiight.

I see a lot of blame for the UWP but it just seems like a bad port . Doesn't Remedy pretty much deserve all of the blame for the port. I mean its performance maybe DX12 based or something else but I not sure if UWP is to blame here

Kezen

Banned
This AA option is just some TAA and PPAA applied on top of the already reconstructed image.

I don't think that we can do much here but wait for a patch from Remedy which will allow us to disable the "feature" in PC version.

Assuming it can even be done. I'm not hoping for anything.

From the results we're getting it can be assumed that the game is using the same resolution reconstruction technique as on XBO. Thus when you select 1080p in game's settings what you're really getting is 720p+MSAA4x reconstructed into 1080p by a shader program. If you select 1440p you're getting something akin to 1707x960+MSAA4x reconstructed into 2560x1440 and if you're selecting 4K you're getting 2560x1440+MSAA4x reconstructed into 3840x2160.

this-cannot-be-real.gif

what the actual fuck were they thinking??
Remember when Max Payne 2 was one of the best looking games of 2004 and ran on a toaster?? Or when Alan Wake ran at 1080p60 on any midrange card? Oh Remedy.. :(

Saul

Banned
I'd say its a pretty big assumption that anyone outside of MS are seriously considering UWA for future releases.

My guess is that all future X1 games will be UWA. ^^

The developer then can still decide, if the app is going to be available on PC as well, or is X1 exclusive.

sertopico

[what the actual fuck were they thinking??
Remember when Max Payne 2 was one of the best looking games of 2004 and ran on a toaster?? Or when Alan Wake ran at 1080p60 on any midrange card? Oh Remedy.. :(

This game was simply published too early on PC, and that's the result. I think we shouldn't blame Remedy for this...

shandy706

I see a lot of blame for the UWP but it just seems like a bad port . Doesn't Remedy pretty much deserve all of the blame for the port. I mean its performance maybe DX12 based or something else but I not sure if UWP is to blame here

Pretty sure this is an Xbox One game that was put through the UWP conversion with some options on top.

I wouldn't "blame" Remedy for that either.

People on that track of thought are probably right. A true PC port could probably use a good 6 months of work....or more.

Someone do 5760x3240, so we see proper 4K performance.

This is disappointing, but not not surprising.

I really want to believe Microsoft when it comes to PC gaming, but it's like they learned nothing from GWWL.

No way I'm getting this if I can't use gsync or even make the game playable at 4k

Stop doing this publishers, stop it.

beeswax

no refund

Is that the official line? I had no problem getting a refund for Gears of War. They asked why I wanted one and I said 'poor performance'. They asked if I'd called the technical helpline, I lied and said 'Yes'. Refund granted.

golem

Reseting nvidia 3D settings solved it. I have no idea which one of my settings was at fault, but it might be worth a penny to someone at some point to know that you might have to try out with the defaults. I have a gsync monitor just in case that matters.

FPS at 1440p seems below 60. Now for the time taking bit... finding the right settings. Lucky for me I enjoy that part!

Progress a little further into the game, shit gets bonkers on screen after you start getting your powers. Wonder how the performance hit is there.

dr_rus

Assuming it can even be done. I'm not hoping for anything.

Well, as I've said the whole reconstruction shader should be rather trivial to remove and the most issues would be retaining the TAA/PPAA filter - but since the game's renderer is apparently able to use MSAA this isn't a big loss either in my view.

Fardeen

issues like this is why i fear that one day final fantasy will be a directx 12 exclusive and will only be available on windows 10 store because of UWP because it will be a straight xbox one port :(

Trup1aya

The artifacts that the temporal output produces on the Xbox is often visible when characters walk across a static camera. I don't see why it would be any less obvious to the hardcore 4K trained eyes of Neogaf's PC owners

I would imagine that the higher the native resolution, the less delta there would be between moving pixels, so the artifacts would be less noticeable.

The problem is, that when you pick 4K, you are actually choosing some res less than 4K that is reconstructed to 4K. If you are looking for 4K, that's not what you'll see, especially when moving.

Had they just labeled the res selections appropriately, and 4K represented A 4K native resolution, then after reconstruction, the image could never be any less than 4K.

Glad I waited... It boggles my mind though, do they not test games out anymore? Or is MS just rushing developers and developers are just like.. This is what you get.

Zojirushi

Nothing I can say other than lol for Microsoft's "PC gaming focus", again.

I mean we can bitch about MS or UWP all we want for different reasons but in this case it seems like Remedy just really dropped the ball with this port.

UWP restrictions don't make it better for sure but there seems to be way more problems with this game than just those.

Kezen

Banned
Well, as I've said the whole reconstruction shader should be rather trivial to remove and the most issues would be retaining the TAA/PPAA filter - but since the game's renderer is apparently able to use MSAA this isn't a big loss either in my view.

If this is feasable then how high are the chances Remedy do anything about it ?

Gbraga

given the consistency with which we're seeing UWP port issues i think it's reasonable to speculate that microsoft's tools might hold at least some of the blame

maybe it's possible to make a totally competent and feature complete UWP game but the fact that we haven't seen it so far with anything that's got a bigger scope than angry birds should give us all pause

Not only UWP, back when Dead Rising 3 came out, it was really really hard to run it at 60fps.

There's something about Xbox One exclusives that make them incredibly hard to run at 60, but reasonable at 30. Even KI being an exception matches this, since it's already 60 on console.

My guess is that all future X1 games will be UWA. ^^

The developer then can still decide, if the app is going to be available on PC as well, or is X1 exclusive.
No chance third parties are adopting UWP. Not with all of the technical limitations and poor word of mouth.

I mean we can bitch about MS or UWP all we want for different reasons but in this case it seems like Remedy just really dropped the ball with this port.

UWP restrictions don't make it better for sure but there seems to be way more problems with this game than just those.

Yes it might be Remedy's fault at busting this port, but as a first party game and one of the biggest titles on the Windows 10 Store Microsoft is absolutely obliged to make sure it works to a acceptable extent. I can only assume the PC port is a rushed job after Microsoft decide to move their focus to a unified Xbox eco system and was not in the plan of Quantum Break's development at all.

UnrealEck

Game looks pretty fucking bad.
It's like it's running at some really low res and being upscaled and has this horrid film grain crap all over it. AO looks really basic too.

Trup1aya

Was that what people were saying? I thought it was that the ramifications of shitports would be more devastating to developers since there are no enduser fixes, thus putting the onus on developers release working products.

It's sink or swim instead of swim or wear user provided flotations devices.

Unfortunately, with the exception of KI, these MS UWP games are sinking.

Zojirushi

Yes it might be Remedy's fault at busting this port, but as a first party game and one of the biggest titles on the Windows 10 Store Microsoft is absolutely obliged to make sure it works to a acceptable extent. I can only assume the PC port is a rushed job after Microsoft decide to move their focus to a unified Xbox eco system and was not in the plan of Quantum Break's development at all.

For sure, some Remedy guy in another thread implied that they were working on the PC version until the last possible moment. Here's to hoping they can improve on what we have now. Would be a shame to leave a high profile game like this to be remembered as a bad PC port.

Don't Arkham Knight this Remedy please :(

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

Yo what

Trup1aya

KI attached to another sinking ship?

KI is a damn good port... There is a non-UWP related bug that effects some users, but other than that, it's smooth sailing.

If it truly is so trivial, any incite as to why a developer would neglect to turn this process off? It was obviously implemented to mask technical limitations of the xb1... Limitations that the PC isn't neccisarily subject to.

Mohasus

Not only UWP, back when Dead Rising 3 came out, it was really really hard to run it at 60fps.

There's something about Xbox One exclusives that make them incredibly hard to run at 60, but reasonable at 30. Even KI being an exception matches this, since it's already 60 on console.

Being 720p.

720/30 -> 1080/60 is a 4.5x jump. And then some more power required for higher settings.

dr_rus

If this is feasable then how high are the chances Remedy do anything about it ?

I think that Remedy will patch in an option of disabling it eventually. Shouldn't be too much work for them and even if it for some reason is - Remedy knows better than to leave the PC version in it's current state.

If it truly is so trivial, any incite as to why a developer would neglect to turn this process off? It was obviously implemented to mask technical limitations of the xb1... Limitations that the PC isn't neccisarily subject to.

Time constraints? Microsoft's policy? Misguided trust in the benefits of resolution reconstruction on PC as well? Who knows.

I think Rememdy just didn't have enough time. If MS says release the game, they have to release it no matter what state it is in. The fact that the game has no exit button is a sign it was rushed.

Top Bottom