• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break Review Thread

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This amazing game has some great acting by the late Lance Reddick, I wonder what performance is like on the pc version on a 4090... 🤔

Maybe I'll have a play through as a little good bye to Mr Reddick.

In my opinion this is much better than Control and I loved the live action stuff after each part of the game.

4TSdicZ.jpg

I'm gonna play it again on PC in remembrance. I really enjoyed this game and it got a lot of shit becuase it launched at a time it was cool to hate on xbox.

Good fun gameplay. Solid 8 out of ten so to be fair 77 ain't bad.

Brock2621

I never played this because I’d review scores and then I watched Summ1G play it 6 years ago or so and regretted not jumping in. By that time my life was being ripped apart by my cheating ex-wife and I never was able to play.

I might pick it up on PC and see if there are any mods for it

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Great acting yes but the game really gets bogged down by the show. It got some cool shooting but I hate playing as punchable face dude

Patrick S.

Banned
This amazing game has some great acting by the late Lance Reddick, I wonder what performance is like on the pc version on a 4090... 🤔

Maybe I'll have a play through as a little good bye to Mr Reddick.

In my opinion this is much better than Control and I loved the live action stuff after each part of the game.

4TSdicZ.jpg
If you get it for PC, DON'T buy the Microsoft Store version! It does NOT feature the live action sequences anymore, because MS took them down from their servers years ago. And they don't mention that fact anywhere on the store page!

The Steam version still has the live sequences.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Ifyou get it for PC, DON'T buy the Microsoft Store version! It does NOT feature the live action sequences anymore, because MS took them down from their servers years ago. And they don't mention that fact anywhere on the store page!

The Steam version still has the live sequences.
I just don't get it why the cutscenes have to play from the server. Why not have it downloaded with the game.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
One of my 2 favorite games from last gen, the other is HZD. Lance Reddick is featured in both games. Coincidence? I think not, but also both games were great games with awesome stories.

I did a quick 2nd playthrough on HZD before I traded my PS4 in on an Xbox 1X, I need to play QB again soon.

Corndog

Banned
One of my 2 favorite games from last gen, the other is HZD. Lance Reddick is featured in both games. Coincidence? I think not, but also both games were great games with awesome stories.

I did a quick 2nd playthrough on HZD before I traded my PS4 in on an Xbox 1X, I need to play QB again soon.
Will this effect a new horizon game? I never played the last one.

Lunarorbit

Fuck. Just downloaded this on Wednesday on my new S. I remember seeing this and then playing control a few years later and liking the live action cut scenes from the scientists.

The film grain and schlockiness of quantum break remind me of that Scyfi anthology horror show from a few years back.

I never played this because I’d review scores and then I watched Summ1G play it 6 years ago or so and regretted not jumping in. By that time my life was being ripped apart by my cheating ex-wife and I never was able to play.

I might pick it up on PC and see if there are any mods for it
A good dog, your best bros, and video games: bastions of loyalty.

----------
Re-installing Quantum Break now. Half-heartedly played through it in 2018. Skipped all the live-action stuff, and I can't even remember if I beat it. Going to give it another shot.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This game is a prime candidate for receiving FPS boost on modern Xbox consoles. Such a damn shame they haven't done one so far.

X-Wing

It was repetitive and the constant switch to the show was dumb. Was a good basis and should have gotten a sequel though.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Simu Liu Clothes GIF by Kim's Convenience

StueyDuck

Much like 77 scores... this game was so close to being perfect but was just missing something

As for Lance Reddick, it's so sad to hear, had just finished fringe a few months ago. He was surprisingly in alot of video game properties, clearly because of the iconic voice but I wonder if the man was a gamer of sorts.

Pallas

A very underrated gem that did something that really hadn’t been done much(if at all) with the show tie in. The story is actually pretty good and I love the time manipulation powers.

Been meaning to play this again and pick the taxicab driver over the girl this time.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Mixing the powers was really fun in this game and I really enjoyed the story. Everything was done really well. I think it's my favorite Remedy game

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
It looks a lot like Control. I know these two games were developed by the same company, but I didn't know they were so similar. If it was on gamepass I would consider giving it a try.

Goon_Bong

Cheers for the reminder everyone. Picked up a cheap Steam key for this a few months ago but haven’t gotten around to it. Will fire it up after work.

Corian33

Got the Windows store version for free from a friend years ago. I liked it but it had the weirdest performance issues. Like it would run perfectly fine then slow down gradually or suddenly. I could pause, go to menu, come back and it would be fine again. Then slow down again. Not even like stuttering but literally everything got slow. Changing settings made no difference.

Some levels it didn’t happen at all, but eventually I hit a level where it was just constant and gave up.

Astray

Gold Member
How does the steam version run? I recall it having a lot of issues when it 1st launched, but would a 5800x/3080 rig have problems running it?

Thanks for bumping and reminding me this game exists. I wanted to buy it way back but I didn't have the HD space for it back then. It's so weird that it's now significantly smaller than other games I have installed haha.

Goon_Bong

How does the steam version run? I recall it having a lot of issues when it 1st launched, but would a 5800x/3080 rig have problems running it?
I only played 5 mins when I first installed a few months ago on a 2600/RTX 3070 but it seemed perfectly fine to me. Given the games age there shouldn't be any DX12 stutter nonsense.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Would have had better reviews if it was multiplatform but i dont think it was great. TV everythng on xbox one curse held over to this game
They should make Quantum Break 2 and make it multiplatform so it can sell millions

The game was treated unfairly and the TV show was optional

It looks a lot like Control. I know these two games were developed by the same company, but I didn't know they were so similar. If it was on gamepass I would consider giving it a try.
I believe they're in the same Universe, and it uses the same engine. I think all Remedy's games, from Mac Payne 2 onward uses the Northlight Engine and Remedy has a distinct style.

While I enjoyed the general gameplay in QB, and the story was amazing, telling bits of the story through emails (though some were highly enjoyable/humorous) became a bland and monotonous pain in the ass...very quickly. Remedy tries to tell so much story, that they have trouble trying to condense it through cutscenes or as the game unfolds... They litter the environment with huge chunks of information, and it gets tedious quickly. They started doing it with Alan Wake, went to the extreme with Quantum Break, then dialed it back a bit for Control (but it's still a chore in Control). They really have to work on a more enjoyable delivery system for story profession.

As much as I enjoyed Quantum Break, Control and Alan Wake, Max Payne is still my favourite Remedy game, both 1 and 2.

Top Bottom