• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

/r/Audiophile reviews Apple HomePod - 5000 word review

Skelter

Banned
Apple users have been waiting for any info on this, or at least I am. This fantastic review from /u/WinterCharm on Reddit has so much info and and objective data for Apple and audiophiles to pour over. This only has me more excited for this damn speaker!

Just a snippet from his post. Which you can read over here.

I am speechless. The HomePod actually sounds better than the KEF X300A. If you’re new to the Audiophile world, KEF is a very well respected and much loved speaker company. I actually deleted my very first measurements and re-checked everything because they were so good, I thought I’d made an error. Apple has managed to extract peak performance from a pint sized speaker, a feat that deserves a standing ovation. The HomePod is 100% an Audiophile grade Speaker.

l

TBiddy

Can't say I'm surprised. Apple generally makes some excellent produts!

That said, it's a shame it's such a closed product with no support for Spotify or other competing services. It absolutely rules it out for me.

Mohonky

It's still only a 4" driver. Clear it might be but I'm not sure how something can be audiophile when it's crutch is always going to be the size of the drivers.

dc3k

Why does clicking "WinterCharm said" in the OP's quote take me to my post in another thread about texting my family

mr2xxx

Banned
Can't say I'm surprised. Apple generally makes some excellent produts!

That said, it's a shame it's such a closed product with no support for Spotify or other competing services. It absolutely rules it out for me.

No Spotify support, damn shame.

Hoo-doo

Banned
You can still just airplay your Spotify to this thing like you would any other speaker. You just can't command Siri with specific songs.

TBiddy

You can still just airplay your Spotify to this thing like you would any other speaker. You just can't command Siri with specific songs.

I use Spotify Connect all the time at home. For the kitchen, for the living room and for the lounge room. I like the ability to change where I want to hear the music. I wouldn't be able to do that with HomePod.

Seems like such a weird oversight from Apple. I know they want to push Apple Music, but still. It's the old arrogant Apple, and it's not a good look tbh.

Top Bottom