• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R*'s PATHETIC port job: Bully 360 freezing (among other glitches) [PATCH NOW OUT]

PARANO1A

So are any other PAL users confirming this is not impacting the PAL release? That the only ones with problems are NTSC users?

I'm starting to think this could be a caseof " if only all 360's were created equally". We got some people with tons of freezes, some with a few and some with none. Right now its all over the place. I keep coming back in here hoping there is a update from Rockstar on the issue.

rbenchley

how was the original bully on ps2? maybe ill just get that to play on my ps3.

Bully on the PS2 is a fantastic game, easily one of my favorite games for the system. Great story, good graphics, awesome soundtrack, excellent voice acting.

ManaByte

Gold Member
slasher_thrasher21 said:
I'm starting to think this could be a caseof " if only all 360's were created equally". We got some people with tons of freezes, some with a few and some with none. Right now its all over the place. I keep coming back in here hoping there is a update from Rockstar on the issue.

:lol

They're too busy counting their potential GTA4 moneys to worry about people crying about a PS2-to-360 port locking up.

DrXym

FlyinJ said:
It's just shitty programming. Did Mad Doc do the Wii port too? Seems doubtful...

That. It seems weird though. GTA, Warriors, Manhunt & Bully are all built over renderware which runs on pretty much anything. That combined with R*'s experience porting GTA to the PC would make you think they wouldn't have these issues.

ManaByte said:
:lol

They're too busy counting their potential GTA4 moneys to worry about people crying about a PS2-to-360 port locking up.

Well so far I fall in the "works fine" category but still hoping to hear something on this wether its a fix or a reason why on some peoples xbox it runs better then others.

Costanza said:
Mad Doc built an engine from scratch for the port.

Wait, really? Where'd you hear that?

If that's true that would seem to undermine the theory that the fans are quiet because it's a straight port of a single-threaded engine.

Costanza

Banned
Not A Fur said:

If that's true that would seem to undermine the theory that the fans are quiet because it's a straight port of a single-threaded engine.
It's been mentioned in all the reviews and previews. I'm pretty sure a link is in this thread somewhere, if not then there's definitely one in the official thread.

Not A Fur said:

Yeah it has been mentioned over and over in reviews and other news bits online.

pilonv1

Costanza said:
what the hell?

Probably should have worded that better. There are no serious frame rate drops for me. It fluctuates between 30 and 60, but it's consistent and never gets to a point where you'd complain about it.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
pilonv1 said:
Probably should have worded that better. There are no serious frame rate drops for me. It fluctuates between 30 and 60, but it's consistent and never gets to a point where you'd complain about it.

Have you gone into town yet? It hits the shitter for me in town. On campus it's fairly steady.

DrXym said:
That. It seems weird though. GTA, Warriors, Manhunt & Bully are all built over renderware which runs on pretty much anything.
But after EA bought Criterion everyone abandoned Rendware. And that is the problem . . . they had to build a rendware-clone rendering engine from scratch for both the Wii and 360. The Mad Doc lacked the mad skillz to do so.

Costanza said:
It's been mentioned in all the reviews and previews. I'm pretty sure a link is in this thread somewhere, if not then there's definitely one in the official thread.

Ok, I hadn't been following this that closely. That just strikes me as really weird. You usually don't invest the resources into building a whole engine unless you're planning to use it for multiple projects, so why would you develop one as a port of someone else's existing project?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
speculawyer said:
But after EA bought Criterion everyone abandoned Rendware. And that is the problem . . . they had to build a rendware-clone rendering engine from scratch for both the Wii and 360. The Mad Doc lacked the mad skillz to do so.

I have a really hard time believing that they would write an engine from scratch for a port.

Where is the article that says this?

Costanza

Banned
FlyinJ said:
I have a really hard time believing that they would write an engine from scratch for a port.

Where is the article that says this?
IGN review is the first that comes to mind.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Costanza said:
IGN review is the first that comes to mind.

"A new engine was built from the ground up by developer Mad Doc, just for the Scholarship Edition."

I still can't believe it.

I just played for a solid hour and a half without any freezing. Cause for celebration? I think so.

FlyinJ said:
"A new engine was built from the ground up by developer Mad Doc, just for the Scholarship Edition."

Yep, a waste of time and money apparently.

FlyinJ said:

Well it is pretty clear they didn't work real hard to tune or optimize the engine. :lol

I certainly hope they don't plan to use it in another game w/o fixing it & optimizing it.

Kingpen

thought I would write off Bully because of this, but got impulsive when I had the last copy in the store in my hand and 2 customers came in asking for it while I was in the store. I got the Wii version of it when I would have definitely got the 360 version for achievements and graphics if it didn't have the glitches.

I wanted to play this game last gen and guess I'll have my chance on the Wii. I'm hoping it controls and looks alright on my LCD.

FlyinJ said:

I don't believe it either... I think it was probably a situation where a producer thought it would sound impressive if they claimed something bigger than what was actually going on.

I gotta be honest; I used to work for Mad Doc a couple years ago, I left before anything related to this title was even being discussed AFAIK. It sucks to hear about the poor quality of this port because at the time I was there, there were some definitely talented people there (they caught a few of the good programmers that were adrift when Looking Glass went down). I dunno if it's just folks drifting away or what but I know a few of the guys I really respected and looked up to have moved along themselves, to Harmonix or just out of the industry.

raYne

FlyinJ said:

Maybe they meant they built the engine out of parts of the floor, wall, ceiling and things they found in the room.

That'd make more sense considering.

Costanza

Banned
Not A Fur said:
I don't believe it either... I think it was probably a situation where a producer thought it would sound impressive if they claimed something bigger than what was actually going on.

I gotta be honest; I used to work for Mad Doc a couple years ago, I left before anything related to this title was even being discussed AFAIK. It sucks to hear about the poor quality of this port because at the time I was there, there were some definitely talented people there (they caught a few of the good programmers that were adrift when Looking Glass went down). I dunno if it's just folks drifting away or what but I know a few of the guys I really respected and looked up to have moved along themselves, to Harmonix or just out of the industry.
Still friendly with anyone who's still there? You should try to find out exactly what happened.

Costanza

Banned
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/51631
FINALLY one of the bigger sites got to it.

Gamers Complain of Freezing Issues in Bully: SE
by Aaron Linde Mar 05, 2008 4:32pm CST tags: Bully: Scholarship Edition
Reports are surfacing across the internet of freezing glitches and other technical issues in the just-released Xbox 360 edition of Rockstar Vancouver's Bully: Scholarship Edition.

Numerous users on the gaming forum NeoGAF have complained of audio sync issues, achievement glitches and lockups in the revamped port Xbox 360. Complaints have also surfaced on the official Xbox forums as well as within the Shacknews community. The Wii edition does not appear to be afflicted by the above problems.

Though failure rates of the Xbox 360 hardware may account for some woes, widespread reports of the same issues particular to Bully: Scholarship Edition have led many gamers to attribute the errors to the game itself.

Shacknews has reached Rockstar for comment, but the publisher has not yet responded at the time of this writing.

edit: Also, we at 52 diggs. http://digg.com/xbox/This_is_absolutely_pathetic_Bully_SE_for_the_360_is_broken
Keep them coming GAF.

Costanza

Banned
firehawk12 said:
This is where the "journalist" part of game journalist should kick in... anyone else on the case?
Nope, like ManaByte said earlier, they're all too scared of losing GTA 4 coverage. Shacknews gets a ton of respect from me.

Costanza

Banned
I'm wrong.

http://kotaku.com/364286/bully-scholarship-edition-sounds-like-it-shouldve-been-held-back

Thanks Kotaku!

Canis canum edit? More like caveat emptor, kids. We're hearing the Xbox 360 version of Rockstar Games' Bully: Scholarship Edition could stand a few more weeks in the lab, according to reports of bugginess from unsatisfied owners of the game. Reports of game killing lock-ups and audio glitches abound at message boards across the internet, with a handful of readers writing in to vent about their own issues.

Word from the official Xbox forums indicate frequent freezing, resulting in lost gameplay time, amid bouts of skipping audio. Add to that a choppy framerate for the PlayStation 2 port and you have a bunch of unhappy customers. Kotaku reader Matt was plenty pissed to have lost a good portion of his own progress when the game locked up, forcing a reset.

We've contacted Rockstar reps for clarification, but haven't heard back as of publish time.

R*'s PATHETIC port job: Bully 360 freezing (among other glitches) [NeoGAF - thanks, Matt!]

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Awesome. I hope enough journalist ask about this that R* is at least forced to respond, even if it's with some bullshit canned statement like "We believe all our products are of the highest quality" or whatever.
The fact that two sites haven't gotten a response seems like there's a wall of silence right now though. Maybe some PR lacking is actually working up a canned response as we speak.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
According to the shacknews comments, one guy got a response from Rockstar telling him to clear out his HD cache... which removes all game updates.

He said it didn't help.

Nice one, Rockstar.

FlyinJ said:

PS2 engines run on 360? In your expertise, what is the cost to port an engine from the very different PS2 architecture to the 360 versus writing a new engine?

Code for multiple hardware CPU threads isn't easier than for a single hardware thread. I wouldn't be surprised to see a new engine use only a single thread or core if they believed it would be sufficient for the product they are developing.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
beermonkey@tehbias said:
PS2 engines run on 360? In your expertise, what is the cost to port an engine from the very different PS2 architecture to the 360 versus writing a new engine?

Code for multiple hardware CPU threads isn't easier than for a single hardware thread. I wouldn't be surprised to see a new engine use only a single thread or core if they believed it would be sufficient for the product they are developing.

Well, they really fucking suck at making engines then.

gimz

serious question:
is this game really good?
i was thinking of renting it today

edited: (wii version)

Top Bottom