• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R2-D2 or BB-8?

What is best in life?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuburt

R2 put in a ton of work.

He's a hacker, a co-pilot, a navigator, a secret smuggler, a mechanic, etc. etc. R2 is the unsung hero of the galaxy. He deserved a medal just as much as anyone.

BB-8 had more physicality due to his design, but R2's voice had so much more personality.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
bb is a freaking robot, shoulldn't have emotions. He behaves like a freaking dog.
And everyone treats him like he's alive. Nobody cares that much about R2.
You know why? Because he's a freaking robot.

Disney piece of crap movie...
The fuck? R2-D2 has displayed several emotions and is treated like a pet more than a robot whenever he isn't required to strictly do robot stuff. And god forbid they make a droid an interesting character,

Cuburt

I legitimately believe that R2-D2 had the entire map, but that he just gave the map with that specific part missing so that the rest wouldn't feel so useless.

Of course. Why else would he be taking a nap while everyone runs around like chickens with their heads cut off?

Low-power mode my ass.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
BB8 is voted for so often because everyone is still excited for TFA, when the dust settles, everyone will see the truth again (R2)

Hoo-doo

Banned
BB8 is voted for so often because everyone is still excited for TFA, when the dust settles, everyone will see the truth again (R2)

I think it's more the huge nostalgia boner some people have, the 'nothing-can-ever-be-better-than-the-original-trilogy' brand of nostalgia that's making people irrationally angry at BB-8 all of a sudden.

BB-8 is awesome, R2D2 is awesome.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I think it's more the huge nostalgia boner some people have, the 'nothing-can-ever-be-better-than-the-original-trilogy' brand of nostalgia that's making people irrationally angry at BB-8 all of a sudden.

BB-8 is awesome, R2D2 is awesome.
Beside looking cute and delivering something BB8 doesnt do much compared to R2.
Even when I just compare ANH and TFA.

But maybe threads like this are a little bit stupid after just one movie.

VAD

BB8 is voiced by Jean-Ralphio. BB8 wins.
EfYNi0A.jpg

farmerboy

What the hell has bb8 done?

R2 took fire and was there with Luke when shit went down. Saved them from the compacter if i remember correctly.

R2 every single fucking day.

CSJ

BB-8, I think it's because the way they can convey emotion and other such has a better design to it. R2 feels relatively static compared and can only go off tones.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
BB-8 is just so much more expressive than R2. Yes, R2 got shit done, and BB-8 really didn't do anything in episode 7 aside from follow Rey around, but I found myself entertained so much more by BB-8 as a character than anything I saw out of R2 in any of his movies.

That's not to say R2D2 isn't entertaining - he's awesome, and Ben Burtt did an amazing job with his sound design to give him a range of emotions. But the technology and design for BB-8 just allows for so much more to be done. We see urgency in the variance in his movement speed. We don't need a 3rd party to be responding to BB-8 to help us get insight into his personality, or feelings - we can discern them from BB-8 as a natural participant in a conversation/exchange.

LesPaul

I really really like R2 but there is just something about BB-8 that makes me like him a little bit more. I am curious how the two are going to play out in the next few movies.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
BB-8 is just so much more expressive than R2. Yes, R2 got shit done, and BB-8 really didn't do anything in episode 7 aside from follow Rey around, but I found myself entertained so much more by BB-8 as a character than anything I saw out of R2 in any of his movies.

That's not to say R2D2 isn't entertaining - he's awesome, and Ben Burtt did an amazing job with his sound design to give him a range of emotions. But the technology and design for BB-8 just allows for so much more to be done. We see urgency in the variance in his movement speed. We don't need a 3rd party to be responding to BB-8 to help us get insight into his personality, or feelings - we can discern them from BB-8 as a natural participant in a conversation/exchange.
Never was a third party needed for R2 either, you always knew when he was sad or scared or snarky.

flkraven

R2 because he has been consistently badass in all 7 seven films.

BB-8 doesn't even deserved to be mentioned in the same sentence as him at this point. He's currently at the level of those battle droids that R2 destroyed in Episode III.

-Plasma Reus-, acevans2, Aiustis, aliengmr, Bbaj, BetaM, blamite, Brakke, Calm waterfall, Chained Prometheus, Charcoal, charlagame, chubigans, Chunky, ck8215, co1onel, Concept17, cupraab, cursedDice, CygnusXS, Cytezan, Dabookerman, Daingurse, Dartastic, darthbob, Desperado, Devil, dhonk, DiipuSurotu, dvolovets, egruntz, Engell, Enter the Dragon Punch, EskimoJoe, f0lken, Flame_AC, flkraven, Fracas, FriedConsole, FrigidEh, GaimeGuy, Gawge, GhaleonEB, Good Job Bob, GrizzNKev, Growlie19, GuitarAtomik, hardcastlemccormick, hat_hair, Hoo-doo, Hylian7, Jables Swan, jackdoe, Jackpot, jacob armitage, k3yring, Kal, Kieli, Killa Sasa, Kor of Memory, Korigama, Lach, laoni, layzie1989, Leezard, Lemming, Lionel Mandrake, Loomba, lt519, Lucius86, lunchtoast, Macheezmo, Matsukaze, MattKeil, Maxirugi, MEsoJD, Metalmarc, MightGoThere, Milchmann, MisterMrMister, Moff, Moonlight, Mothman91, mrjohill, msv, Musolf815, Nakkilokki, Nekofrog, Nelo Ice, NG28, Nibel, Nucks, NYCmetsfan, n___n, Officer.Sanchez, Ophelion, Palmer_v1, Papytendo, phazedplasma, PhoncipleBone, Pluto, Plywood, ProfessorDabs, psylah, Quonny, raviolico, Ric Flair, Rue, Rygar 8 Bit, s74rshaped, Sai-kun, Sax Russel, SeigO, ShaneB, shem935, shiftplusone, Snipes424, Squall5042, Sriefer, Stargypsy, Stark, stenbumling, studyguy, Sub Boss, Talisker, The 7th King, The Artisan, thefro, thegreyfox, TheJoRu, Thorpe, trinest, Tubie, Tucah, Twilight Gap, ukepicker, UnluckyKate, Uzny, vainglorious, Valpurgis, Van, vanty, VicDaMoan03, ViciousDS, Wafflecakes, Wanderer5, Wiseblood, Woorloog, Yaphett Kotto, Zukuu

Tag them all with an embarassing quote for having terrible taste.

o_O

I don't think I've weighed on this at all. Don't know how I came up.

With that said, BB8 is totally the new hotness.

Zukuu

Banned
People, voting for Jar Jar might be a "joke" to you, but if enough people do that it actually has an impact...

ITT: How Trump can win the election.

Mr Git

Every time I hear "BB-8" I think of the massive marketing campaign behind The Force Awakens. I feel like BB-8 is shit that was created specifically to market toys and other shit.

I'm not sure I understand this complaint. A part of Star Wars has always been about selling toys and shit. I still have quite a lot from the 80s in a box somewhere.

OT - I'd like to be why not both person. But at a push maybe BB? Sorry.

Don't get me wrong I totally love BB-8, but I still have to hand it to R2. I like his feisty attitude and his take-charge approach to situations. If I had to trust one droid to get the job done, it'd be R2.
BB-8 is still fantastic.

BB8 strikes me as something they designed before the movie was written that they could make into a toy, then worked out how to put it in ťhe film.

R2 easily

Bouniter

Almost 300 votes for jar jar (no it shouldn't be capitalised) I had no idea their were this many trolls on Gaf =b

I loved BB-8 but I'm afraid R2 will always have my heart.

R2 for life. I loved BB-8 but c'mon R2 has saved everyones asses so many times, has been shot in the line of duty and can always be counted on. He's a godammned hero!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom