• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R2-D2 or BB-8?

What is best in life?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Wow! I never expected the poll to go this way! Plus why is Jar Jar there! I'm keeping who I voted for a secret ;)

R2-D-Who?

What an accomplishment. The public has voted and it looks like BB-8 is officially more popular after just ONE film, already a legend.

j7WXnzN.gif

sappyday

R2 is a lot funnier and expressive. In a life or death situation you definitely want R2 more.

They did a great job at creating a new memorable droid though.

Monocle

R2 has been through a hell of a lot. He played a key role in galaxy changing events and showed real resourcefulness and determination, even bravery. I love BB-8's design so much, but R2-D2 has much better character development and a more defined personality. His dynamic with C-3PO is classic, and unequaled by any character interaction in TFA.

BB-8 has loads of potential but he needs more time to show what he's made of. We need to see him interact with different characters and deal with serious adversity. Let's talk again after Ep. 8.

Palmer_v1

R2 has been through a hell of a lot. He played a key role in galaxy changing events and showed real resourcefulness and determination, even bravery. I love BB-8's design so much, but R2-D2 has much better character development and a more defined personality. His dynamic with C-3PO is classic, and unequaled by any character interaction in TFA.

BB-8 has loads of potential but he needs more time to show what he's made of. We need to see him interact with different characters and deal with serious adversity. Let's talk again after Ep. 8.

BB-8... Episode 8...

Darth BB-8 confirmed!!!!!!

This is how I know R2D2 is better: He basically had one scene in Force Awakens and it was better than anything BB8 did during the movie.

He woke up after years of being asleep and almost immediately insulted C3P0. Hilarious.

yyzjohn

Banned
R2 is like the cool dope smoking Zeppelin listening guy from the 70s while BB is a baggie pant wearing wannabe who was coddled by his parents. R2 wins.

aaaaa0

As a piece of practical prop design, BB-8 all the way: a sophisticated gyro and accelerometer based self-balancing remote controlled robot, compared with something built in the 70s that hardly worked.

R2 could barely drive over smooth surfaces (which they had to cleverly conceal for any outdoor sets), and had to be pulled with hidden wires most of the time.

http://www.r2-d2.de/Prop/prop.htm
George Lucas admits in BTM that about 80 % of all the R2 scenes in ANH, he was pulled on wires. According to Anthony Daniels, the English actor who played C-3PO, he personally invented R2 turning corners without radio control: During the scene where C-3PO and R2 hide in the closet in the Death Star hangar control room, he had to say "Come on, R2", and then R2-D2 was supposed to roll a bit in one direction and then turn and roll towards the door. The remote-controlled R2 failed several times, so Daniels proposed to put a wire on R2´s feet, lead it through a loop and have one stagehand hold the loop, while another would pull R2 the first few feet. Then stagehand A would release the loop, stagehand B would continue pulling and R2 did indeed turn a neat corner!

Later on in the prequels, they ended up using mostly CGI R2, which is lame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom