• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Racist Black History Month essay shocks school

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regginator

And she's supposed to be a Catholic?

There are no words...

Catholics have pretty much ALL depictions of Jesus as a white European man with blonde hair and blue eyes, so it really is no surprise that some (or most?) of them actually really believe he looked anything like that, instead of Middle Eastern, and thus fuels the white supremacy a few people have.

DOWN

Banned
"People in the Bible were white" is wild and my elementary school was a private Christian school and indeed taught this

daffy

Banned
Are we really losing our shit about one blatantly racist child? Why is this news?

Teacher should give the child a failing grade on the paper and then talk with them one-on-one about why the paper was inappropriate. I really don't think we need to make one dumb child's homework assignment into a public spectacle.
No fuck that. This type of stuff needs to come out so we can keep pulling it up when people say we live in a color blind society and shit. This is not a goddamned explicit dick drawing scrawled on a homework paper

WedgeX

Banned
Holy hell.

jZkSH11.gif

No fuck that. This type of stuff needs to come out so we can keep pulling it up when people say we live in a color blind society and shit. This is not a goddamned explicit dick drawing scrawled on a homework paper

Yup, which is positively harmless by comparison.

rjinaz

Are we really losing our shit about one blatantly racist child? Why is this news?

Teacher should give the child a failing grade on the paper and then talk with them one-on-one about why the paper was inappropriate. I really don't think we need to make one dumb child's homework assignment into a public spectacle.

See I disagree. I hear actual people I know say that racism is over. There was Black man as president! I want them to see that it is not over. It still exists whether they want it to or not.

Though I agree that there is no reason to name her or anything, she's still a kid even if a racist one.

Glix

If they're characters they can be any color the reader wants them to be. If they're people, they can't.

Atheism can't have its cake and eat it too in this case.

?

I dont understand what you are trying to say here.

So if I'm reading Weep Not, Child, the characters can be any color I want them to be?

Hale-XF11

Most of us aren't this flippantly ignorant. Seems to be American Catholics, particularly in the midwest and the south that have this problem. Who knows why. Racism goes directly against the teachings of the church. Just goes to prove people can retool anything to suit their agenda.

There may be something to that, since that's where I'm from and what I grew up around.

rjinaz

?

So if I'm reading Weep Not, Child, the characters can be any color I want them to be?

I think he's saying if you believe they are just fantasy characters then you shouldn't care if people think they are White.

Which makes absolutely no sense. I think most people agree that Jesus and others in the new testament were real people, it's that he was the son of God that is of question.

So if somebody believes the actual real person is White when they were not, anybody should be able to call them out on it.

Sunster

Catholics have pretty much ALL depictions of Jesus as a white European man with blonde hair and blue eyes, so it really is no surprise that some (or most?) of them actually really believe he looked anything like that, instead of Middle Eastern, and thus fuels the white supremacy a few people have.

a few?

Speevy

Banned
?

Well yes. I mean books often assign ethnicities to characters but the reader is free to interpret it.

Have you ever heard the phrase "That's how I imagined it." or "That's not how I read it." referring to different readers discussing the same content?

If one is calling the Bible a work of fiction, with every word completely imagined, then they are free to assign whatever color they like to the "characters".

If the Bible contains actual people who lived, whether or not Jesus was the son of God, the people belong to their regions, families, etc. Fictional characters cannot be given DNA. Hence you can't have it both ways.

Sadly bold faced racism is still a thing a large parts of southern LA outside of New Orleans. Close friend of mine deals with it all the time even with middle school band kids. It's the parents, it's ALWAYS the parents.

Every Christian and especially Catholics should be condemning this. Show us the true Christian values...

She literally cites no actual biblical or catechetical content. The justifications she uses are entirely in her own head. I could point to actual catechesis and arguments based on it like this one, but it's hard to convince people like this who fail to adhere to any internally consistent ethos and are probably fed this trash from parents at home who let their own preconceived biases blot out any real reflection on the faith they claim to believe. I feel like I can say pretty definitively that racism is in no way shape or form condoned in the dogma of the Catholic Church. How well professed Catholics follow that dogma, myself included, is another matter entirely.

When they cannot even wear pants that fit them?

This is an especially annoying argument in 2017 because, last I checked, that was only really a trend among hip-hop fans (of all races, but hey) and contemporary rappers dress like this:

It's not 2005 any more. It's weird that she even makes that point because, given her age, she was in elementary school around the time that trend more or less died out.

Monocle

This dumbfuck should be petrified to leave her house on account of her own stupidity. She's a liability to herself and all those around her.

Her parents should be deeply ashamed.

HardRojo

Lol this is basically a textbook example of how to find a racist.
I'm not a racist, but...? Check.
Believes Jesus and the people involved in the sci-fi book called Bible were all white? Check.
But I have black friends! Check.
Twisted ideas and beliefs regarding black people? Check!
Thinks black people are the ones killing cops? Check!

I could go on but I don't think it's necessary...

Edit: Also, regarding Catholics, Christians and whatever. For a group that's been taught to love and accept others since whenever the f the tales in the Bible take place, they sure are a bunch of the biggest haters in the world.

Edit 2: Also can schools properly teach the differences between then and than? That girl mixed the two up. Even I, as a non-native speaker, know the difference.

Glix

Well yes. I mean books often assign ethnicities to characters but the reader is free to interpret it.

Have you ever heard the phrase "That's how I imagined it." or "That's not how I read it." referring to different readers discussing the same content?

If one is calling the Bible a work of fiction, with every word completely imagined, then they are free to assign whatever color they like to the "characters".

If the Bible contains actual people who lived, whether or not Jesus was the son of God, the people belong to their regions, families, etc. Fictional characters cannot be given DNA. Hence you can't have it both ways.

Nah i dont buy this at all.

If someone reads Mila 18 and thinks the characters in the ghetto arent jewish they are being intellectually dishonest.

I don't care that she is a "high school student," "a child," "ignorant," or whatever other fucking excuse white people are gonna trot out for her.

Fuck this girl. I hope this shit follows her for the rest of her life.

Because she thinks and speaks something we don't agree with, you hope she suffers for the rest of her life. You sound as full of hate as she does.

She is a child and seems more then a little uneducated. Maybe hope for education instead of suffering?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

No, this is stupid. Regional mythology isn't colorblind casting. If you're reading African myths and picturing the characters as non-African, you're doing it wrong.

Ponn

Banned

I was originally thinking you were just being tongue in cheek but since you are trying to argue the point. I get what you are saying as far as atheists and non-believers taking the bible as a work of fiction. The problem is there is a very large group of people that actually believe it is real though and you cannot ignore them in life. Sometimes you do have to deal and talk with these people and even debate them and you have to use logic to debate from their level.

On topic, this girl is so broken. The way that read you can tell its so ingrained into her and that was from her environment and parenting. The school's response is extremely telling how this will be dealt with (as in nothing). I question if you are even able to reach someone this far in and still in that toxic environment or if this is just a WASP (WASC) in the making.

Spladam

So what happens if she goes full racist.

That's the most epic "I'm not racist but" ever written.

"i even have black friends"

check

Kid's gonna be a press secretary come 2020

I like that an essay that advocates White supremacy is full of poor grammar and egregious factual errors. Thats unintentional irony I can applaud.

How is she racist? I think everyone here is forgetting the important part, she has black friends.

Finally someone that says it like it is.
GAF makes EVERYTHING funny, thank you guys.

So what's the chance this becomes Copy Pasta?

From the School

“The ideas and the writings of this student, and their subsequent posting on the web, were not within the school’s control,” the letter stated. “We look at this incident as a teachable moment and as an opportunity for education and growth for all involved, particularly through reflection on the wisdom of our Catholic faith.”

"First off, children, Jesus wasn't white. Are you kidding me?"

This shitstain didn't come from an alternate reality. This is what America thinks, she was just dumb enough to immortalize it in writing.

Speevy

Banned
No, this is stupid. Regional mythology isn't colorblind casting. If you're reading African myths and picturing the characters as non-African, you're doing it wrong.

This is the most prevalent case of "You're doing it wrong." in human history with all the pictures of white European Jesus in homes, churches, and other buildings throughout the world.

Children draw inspiration from reinterpretations of fiction all the time. This is one of the reasons folk tales are read to children. As a teacher, I am showing kids that some ideas exist wherever you go, even if the story explicitly says the character is Mexican or Irish.

I'm not suggesting that Jesus was white. I'm just saying that the Bible has the account of a bunch of goatherds that either existed or they didn't, and if they didn't live, they can be any color the reader likes. This is especially true since the Bible makes only small references to skin color.

I happen to be a person of faith and accept the scientific conclusions of ethnicities in the Bible.

Also, mythology exists to explain the natural world with the supernatural. Its characteristics are not enclosed by race. Usually the people writing it believe their truth is the truth of the entire world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom