• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rage PC perfomance thread

jett said:
Carmack should be whipping his entire team into releasing a patch ASAP.
fingers crossed, yes. the glitching in wellspring is at least amusing. when you first meet the sheriff he's simultaneously stood up and sat down. i laughed pretty heartily. also i ran into a couple of twitchy mutants doing something similar. also sometimes the ammo from my gun likes to come out of my gun and hover a foot or two away from the weapon.

these things are inexcusable glitches... but they aren't game breaking and they're pretty damn funny. twitchy mutants are arguably scarier than the normal ones.

Smokey

I did the 16k config on my 3GB 580 and the VRAM topped out at 1.8GB with 16x AA and 4x AF.

I'd think that those of you with 2GB cards should be ok.

Smokey said:
I did the 16k config on my 3GB 580 and the VRAM topped out at 1.8GB with 16x AA and 4x AF.

we need someone with a 2GB card to go visit the area Angular posted comparisons of.

TedNindo

TedNindo said:
This saved me on the steam forums.

I tried all the config settings and the rage ati drivers and I still had HORRIBLE texture pop in.
But after I put this dll in my rage folder the pop in was gone and it worked wonderfully.

http://www.mediafire.com/?u8153rflr4y7war

Now the game runs extremely fluid on my 4890 with this in my config.

vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 8192
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 8192
vt_pageimagesizeunique 8192
vt_pageimagesizevmtr 8192
vt_restart
vt_maxaniso 4
image_anisotropy 4

and +vt_maxPPF 16 in my shortcut.

I also added the > c:/Users/"myname"/AppData/Local/id software/rage < folders so that the game would store its cache. like I found on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ryK2PErQQc

It runs and looks great now imo.

I'm using 8xAA at 1920 x 1080

My specs are

Q6600 @ 3,2ghz
4GB's of ram
4890 1GB ram

btw this is what it looks like. And according to fraps it runs at 55-60fps. All the images were taken at 60fps. So I would say that you really don't need a beast of a pc to run rage really well.

http://img241.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=929412823_Rage2011_10_0621_05_29_62_122_11lo.jpg

http://img168.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=929466972_Rage2011_10_0621_06_42_25_122_730lo.jpg

http://img241.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=929509202_Rage2011_10_0621_08_48_91_122_157lo.jpg

This game is going to really shine once id releases a patch to fix the buggy animation, and ATI releases a driver that allows for crossfire use.

This game is fantastic when its running at 60 fps, my first big gun fight in the second mission dropped down to 28 fps. Going to try some of the tips in here.

Running 1920x1200

16gb ram
ati 6950

got rage drivers so far, trying the folders/dll thing listed above next

undercoverb0ss said:
This game is going to really shine once id releases a patch to fix the buggy animation, and ATI releases a driver that allows for crossfire use.
eh, it's already shining just fine on powerful single card setups. you can keep your microstuttering away from my game that already runs at a locked 60 fps thanks ;)

if single cards weren't already hitting 60, i'd say you have a point.

seriously, SLi and crossfire is pretty much a waste of time unless you A: can't tell the difference between smooth 60 fps and stuttering 60 fps, B: don't play games right when they come out and don't mind waiting for the SLI and crossfire support to get patched in, or C: have three or more GPUs which basically eliminates the stuttering.

the lack of a new high end single GPU card since the GTX 570 is worrying to me, but at least even if dual GPU cards become the norm for the high end, we'll start getting to quad gpu cards eventually and we'll be out the other end.

oh, and it's a huge waste of VRAM. lets not forget that.

Mr_eX

Smokey said:

Does my 570 run the 16k config because I'm sharing my system memory with it? From what I'm reading in this thread it shouldn't be working.

plagiarize said:
this is really common it seems. it also seems to stop after you do a few missions there... it appears to just be something we have to wait for a patch.
Good to read that it goes away after a while. Guess I'll just power through it.

plagiarize said:
my picture of it is better though :)
That pic is horrifying ;P

x3sphere

plagiarize said:
eh, it's already shining just fine on powerful single card setups. you can keep your microstuttering away from my game that already runs at a locked 60 fps thanks ;)

seriously, SLi and crossfire is pretty much a waste of time unless you A: can't tell the difference between smooth 60 fps and stuttering 60 fps, B: don't play games right when they come out and don't mind waiting for the SLI and crossfire support to get patched in, or C: have three or more GPUs which basically eliminates the stuttering.

the lack of a new high end single GPU card since the GTX 570 is worrying to me, but at least even if dual GPU cards become the norm for the high end, we'll start getting to quad gpu cards eventually and we'll be out the other end.

don't really see your worry here, GPU manufactures release the single cards first, then stuff like the GTX590 and 6990 come later. 28nm isn't ready yet and GPU tech is constrained by heat and power. if nvidia did produce a card 20% faster than the 580 on the current process it'd be hot as hell.

new single cards won't come until 28nm is ready.

x3sphere said:
don't really see your worry here, GPU manufactures release the single cards first, then stuff like the GTX590 and 6990 come later. 28nm isn't ready yet and GPU tech is constrained by heat and power. if nvidia did produce a card 20% faster than the 580 on the current process it'd be hot as hell.

new single cards won't come until 28nm is ready.
i'm just paranoid that we'll hit a wall and they'll push it by going multicore, like processors have been doing.

i'm sure you're right.

Ricker

Everything was running fine for me yesterday but now I don`t know if it`s because I reached Wellspring but I now have one large(about half an inch)line that runs all across when I turn the camera,it`s like screen tearing or a Vsynch line but not just the cutting look you get sometimes,its horizontal and kinda follows the height of the camera or something,very hard to explain...I tried some of the things mentionned here but it`s just there whatever I do...GTX560 Ti...ill try starting over or going to a earlier save to see if it still does that there...it was fine yesterday in the tutorial area...

plagiarize said:

It is running very smoothly but I still can't run the 16k config yet. BTW I game at 2560x1600 so that is why I bought 2 6970s

Peterthumpa

Ricker said:
Everything was running fine for me yesterday but now I don`t know if it`s because I reached Wellspring but I now have one large(about half an inch)line that runs all across when I turn the camera,it`s like screen tearing or a Vsynch line but not just the cutting look you get sometimes,its horizontal and kinda follows the height of the camera or something,very hard to explain...I tried some of the things mentionned here but it`s just there whatever I do...GTX560 Ti...ill try starting over or going to a earlier save to see if it still does that there...it was fine yesterday in the tutorial area...
Probably the automatic update changed your Rage profile to force VSYNC off. Go inside the application properties inside the NVIDIA control panel, select the game manually by unchecking the "only display installed programs" box and find the Rage profile. Change the VSYNC properties to "Forced on" and try again.

The game seems to fail on me when i finish the Monster Bash tv part you guys got problems there too. Its usually fails when it has to load a level part.

Ricker

felipepl said:
Probably the automatic update changed your Rage profile to force VSYNC off. Go inside the application properties inside the NVIDIA control panel, select the game manually by unchecking the "only display installed programs" box and find the Rage profile. Change the VSYNC properties to "Forced on" and try again.

Damn,that`s what happened I guess,it works now that line is gone,thanks a million man =)

Smokey

plagiarize said:

This doesnt really happen anymore. At least on SLI dunno about Xfire,

54-46!

TedNindo said:
btw this is what it looks like. And according to fraps it runs at 55-60fps. All the images were taken at 60fps. So I would say that you really don't need a beast of a pc to run rage really well.

http://img241.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=929412823_Rage2011_10_0621_05_29_62_122_11lo.jpg

http://img168.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=929466972_Rage2011_10_0621_06_42_25_122_730lo.jpg

http://img241.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=929509202_Rage2011_10_0621_08_48_91_122_157lo.jpg
Thanks! I've got roughly the same PC (only difference is I've got a Phenom II X4 955) so I'll be using these.

dr_rus

plagiarize said:
Don't worry, you'll get a new one in about half a year.

Kabuki Waq said:
i used the intro skip command but i still see the bethesda logo whenever aboot up does this mean the config file i created it not working?

does anyone have an answer to this? i just want to know if my config file is working.

Smokey

Got the CudaTranscode in the config, and went back to 16k. Feeling good about it, and it's looking MUCH better than default

0pw8.bmp

rage_2011_10_06_17_24_orjp.png

burgerdog

So is the game simply unplayable with c2ds? I have an e8400 paired up with a 6870 that was able to run Witcher 2 extremely well. Yet it runs rage at 10fps even after the new drivers.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
burgerdog said:
So is the game simply unplayable with c2ds? I have an e8400 paired up with a 6870 that was able to run Witcher 2 extremely well. Yet it runs rage at 10fps even after the new drivers.
People like Pylon_Trooper and a176 on previous pages reported great performance on an E6300 (!) and an E8400 (yay, I have an E8500) so, no.

Jubbly

Smokey said:
Got the CudaTranscode in the config, and went back to 16k. Feeling good about it, and it's looking MUCH better than default

Very nice! What does your complete config look like now?

burgerdog

Alextended said:
People like Pylon_Trooper and a176 on previous pages reported great performance on an E6300 (!) and an E8400 so, no.
I see. I wonder what the problem is, then. Despite the fact that I ended up getting the 360 version it still bugs me that I can't figure out what's wrong.

Smokey

Jubbly said:
Very nice! What does your complete config look like now?

Nothing exotic. Basically what's in the OP.

vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 16384
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 16384
vt_pageimagesizeunique 16384
vt_pageimagesizevmtr 16384
vt_restart
vt_useCudaTranscode 2
vt_maxaniso 4
image_anisotropy 4

The Cuda piece really helped me out. I was getting a lot of dips yesterday, but not everything stays at a nice 60fps. 53-55 fps at the worst.

Tom Penny

Is it just me or textures only look good from a distance. You walk up to walls vending machines anything like that and it looks like ass. I'm impressed getting 60 FPS but I fail to see what's supposed to be so incredible about mega textures.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Tom Penny said:
Is it just me or textures only look good from a distance. You walk up to walls vending machines anything like that and it looks like ass. I'm impressed getting 60 FPS but I fail to see what's supposed to be so incredible about mega textures.

hmm ya thats not right..everyone's been raving about the detail textures up close..

belvedere

Junior Butler
TedNindo said:

I tried the technique you referenced along with a combination of other things and I'm still seeing crazy texture pop-in.

6870 (with Rage performance driver)
PII X4 965BE
4GB

commissar

I gues the game still doesn't work on AMD 4000 series?
I have a 4850 and get the wrong textures loading, or if I enable Catalyst AI then the textures load but the game freezes every 3 seconds :[

Am I waiting for new drivers and a patch or is there a work around?

Ryn

Is there a way to make Rage use a specific refresh rate? My default 1080p resolution is at HDTV timing (59.94hz), and I've made a custom resolution that's slightly higher than 60. I have a constant, slight screen tear, and I'm wondering if it's related to my screen update being under 60hz by default. I'd like to tell Rage to use the other 1080p display mode.

Gvaz

Banned
rage2011-10-0516-58-44fkr2.jpg

This is what my game looks like on this setup:

i7-2630qm @ 2.6GHz
4GB DDR3 @ 664MHz 9-9-9-24
Nvidia Quadro 1000M (seems to be 2GB DDR3 though I'm unsure if that's shared or not. GPU-z seems to say it isn't)

with these settings:

seta vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 "4096"
seta vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly "4096"
seta vt_pageimagesizeunique "4096"
seta vt_pageimagesizevmtr "4096"
vt_restart
vt_maxaniso 4
cvaradd g_fov 20
set com_skipIntroVideo 1
set com_allowConsole 1
fc_maxcachememoryMB 1024
ik_enablesmoothing 0
image_anisotropy 4
image_usecompression 0
jobs_numthreads 4
mem_phymemblocksizem 3072
m_rawinput 1
vt_qualityhdplossless 1
vt_qualityhdppower 0
vt_qualityhdpspecular 0
vt_qualityhdpnormal 0
vt_qualityhdpdiffuse 0
vt_qualitydctpower 100
vt_qualitydctspecular 100
vt_qualitydctnormal 100
vt_qualitydctchroma 100
vt_qualitydctluma 100
vt_usecudatranscode 2
vt_maxppf 16
vt_minlod -1
vt_maxlockedpages 256
vt_uncompressedvmtr 1
vt_uncompressedphysicalimages 1
vt_vmtrcompression none
image_lodbias -1
image_screenshotquality 100

But I can't seem to get better quality textures. FPS doesn't seem to be a problem, It looks like I'm getting 60fps consistently at 1600x900. Any tips as to what I can do?

Smokey

Gvaz said:
This is what my game looks like on this setup:

i7-2630qm @ 2.6GHz
4GB DDR3 @ 664MHz 9-9-9-24
Nvidia Quadro 1000M (seems to be 2GB DDR3 though I'm unsure if that's shared or not. GPU-z seems to say it isn't)

with these settings:

But I can't seem to get better quality textures. FPS doesn't seem to be a problem, It looks like I'm getting 60fps consistently at 1600x900. Any tips as to what I can do?

That's one of the issues right there...not a gaming card. Also change:

seta vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 "8192"
seta vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly "8192"
seta vt_pageimagesizeunique "8192"
seta vt_pageimagesizevmtr "8192"

Gvaz

Banned
Wallach said:
Change the first four lines from 4096 to 8192 for starters.
Sorry, those I recently changed. The image is from those first four lines at 8192.

Smokey said:
That's one of the issues right there...not a gaming card. Also change:
I'm not having performance issues or anything, it's the textures.

Smokey

Gvaz said:
Sorry, those I recently changed. The image is from those first four lines at 8192.

Are you sure you have the config saved as a cfg file in the 'base' folder (Steam/steamapps/Common/Rage/Base) and not as a txt file?

Wallach

Gvaz said:

I don't know of any way to improve them further right now. Personally I'm not running anything in the rageconfig except the first four lines you have though.

On a side note, I don't see this posted:

DerrickG from SPUF said:
Almost all the issues with RAGE are hardware/driver related and not an issue with the game itself.

Please note the following from Bethesda:
  • ATI and NVIDIA are working on updated drivers that should be released today/tomorrow that will fix multiple issues.
  • Bethesda is working on an update to allow for users to customize their video options which will solve many of the issues users are having.
Thank you for your patience with this matter. All parties are working as fast as they can to correct the problems with RAGE.

Gvaz

Banned
Smokey said:
Are you sure you have the config saved as a cfg file in the 'base' folder (Steam/steamapps/Common/Rage/Base) and not as a txt file?
100% sure.

I'm noticing tons more popin at 4096 too... Lemme try 8 again..

Wallach

KingOfKong said:
what is the line i can add to my config file that will enable vsync?

If you don't want to force it through drivers for whatever reason, add this to your launch properties in Steam:

+r_swapInterval 1

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
plagiarize said:
we need someone with a 2GB card to go visit the area Angular posted comparisons of.
i tried 16k and was getting a lot of pausing throught out level so went back to 8k

Top Bottom