• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rage PC perfomance thread

Tokubetsu

Sax Russel said:
I'm not too sure how that comparison was taken, cause I just got to that part and I'm using 8k and it looks like the "16k" shot.

rage2011-10-0621-27-12hupn.png

Edit: I went back in and took another shot, this one using 4k. Looks like the "8k" shot now: http://www.abload.de/img/rage2011-10-0621-45-482udj.png so yeah, I think that comparison is borked.

Man, I'd love this shot without a hud.

Smokey

FlyinJ said:
Just tried playing for the first time. I can't believe what a complete shit release this is.

No 5.1 sound. Terrible texture pop-in on a mid-range system running at 720p. Unbelievable.

Anyhow, anyone have any suggestions for my system:

quad core 2.77
4 gig RAM
Windows 7 64bit

So far I've put the settings file mentioned in the OP in my Base directory, as well as downloaded the ATI rage drivers.

In-game I'm running at 720p on my TV using the 360 controller, and have antialiasing set to 2x.

I get a bit of texture pop-in, but my frame rate is decent. My main issue is the game is constantly randomly hitching. Constantly. It's maddening. If I turn my head completely 360 degrees inside the first garage, I get about 3-4 hitches before I entirely turn around.

So, any more advice for those specs would be great. Thanks.

You should probably use 8192 instead of the 16k parameters from the OP. I'm not sure you're card will be able to take 16k. That might be the hitching you're referring to. New AMD drivers are supposed to be out tomorrow as well for the game.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
TheExodu5 said:
How on Earth can a 25GB game have textures this bad? Look at that compression!

http://www.thejayzone.com/pics/rage/textures.png[/QUOTE]

this is bad and ugly.

I think this Megatexture Streaming tech have more problems than benefits ( if there are benefits for it) as of now,also someone in the OT mentioned any new DLC with new area will need to be really huge in size too because of it.

Wallach

Personally I would just update the OP to not include the 16x16 page file size. It doesn't seem to do anything but increase VRAM usage anyway.

Firehead said:
Actually, yours looks much better from either of those pictures. What config are you using?

vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 8192
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 8192
vt_pageimagesizeunique 8192
vt_pageimagesizevmtr 8192
vt_maxaniso 4
vt_restart
image_anisotropy 4

I also have the folder for caching created at username\AppData\Local\id software\rage

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Smokey said:
Just noticed but in Wellspring my VRAM shot up to 2.1GB :eek:

Also, yesterday you mentioned that switching to 16k textures instantly shot your GPU memory usage up to around 1.8GB. This makes me wonder why people with <2GB cards are using the 16k settings.

Salsa

well shoot :/ everything was great but now i got out of these caves and im seeing stuff like these everywhere:

ohFuJ.jpg

v6CRU.jpg

moving around, appearing and disappearing

any ideas?

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Smokey said:
Just noticed but in Wellspring my VRAM shot up to 2.1GB :eek:
ya i figured it was peaking above 2gig with the 16k setting figured thats why i was getting pausing...still looks great with 8k compared to default

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Smokey said:
You should probably use 8192 instead of the 16k parameters from the OP. I'm not sure you're card will be able to take 16k. That might be the hitching you're referring to. New AMD drivers are supposed to be out tomorrow as well for the game.

Err sorry I should have added that I am using the 8192 setting.

Gvaz

Banned
bluedeviltron said:
Can you post your config/launch settings? That's a pretty massive upgrade over what I'm currently getting.
Launch:

+set com_allowConsole 1 +set com_skipIntroVideo 1 +cvaradd g_fov 20 (though I'd take the console one out, it does nothing but nag me)

Config:

seta vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 "8192"
seta vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly "8192"
seta vt_pageimagesizeunique "8192"
seta vt_pageimagesizevmtr "8192"
vt_restart
vt_maxaniso 4
cvaradd g_fov 20
set com_skipIntroVideo 1
set com_allowConsole 1
fc_maxcachememoryMB 1024
ik_enablesmoothing 0
image_anisotropy 4
image_usecompression 0
jobs_numthreads 4
mem_phymemblocksizem 3072
m_rawinput 1
vt_qualityhdplossless 1
vt_qualityhdppower 0
vt_qualityhdpspecular 0
vt_qualityhdpnormal 0
vt_qualityhdpdiffuse 0
vt_qualitydctpower 100
vt_qualitydctspecular 100
vt_qualitydctnormal 100
vt_qualitydctchroma 100
vt_qualitydctluma 100
vt_usecudatranscode 2
vt_maxppf 16
vt_minlod -1
vt_maxlockedpages 256
vt_uncompressedvmtr 1
vt_uncompressedphysicalimages 1
vt_vmtrcompression none
image_lodbias -1
image_screenshotquality 100

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Quick question. Can you set something like 14,000 for the textures and have that work? What multiple does it have to be? Would 12,288 work?

Smokey

JaseC said:
Also, yesterday you mentioned that switching to 16k textures instantly shot your GPU memory usage up to around 1.8GB. This makes me wonder why people with <2GB cards are using the 16k settings.

Yeah it was 1.8 in the first town and around that area. Wellspring shot it up though. I wonder how much higher it will go with the 16k. Another pic I just took. Thought it was cool pic smoke in the air etc.. dudes just hanging out:

rage_2011_10_06_21_51_98po.png

In shots like these it's really easy to see some of the poor texture work. Look at the lamp above the pool tables for instance. Shame because the rest of the stuff looks great.

Wallach

Hazaro said:
Quick question. Can you set something like 14,000 for the textures and have that work? What multiple does it have to be? Would 12,288 work?

Anything between 8192 and 16384 won't work. Like 12,288 wouldn't crash the game but the textures wouldn't actually draw themselves properly.

JaseC

Duxxy3 said:
I think it's fair to say... fuck megatextures.

Again, it's first and foremost an artistic technology and very much at its infancy in Rage. The reason the compression is aggressive is to keep the game size at a respectable level.

Gvaz

Banned
JaseC said:
Again, it's first and foremost an artistic technology and very much at its infancy in Rage. The reason the compression is aggressive is to keep the game size at a respectable level.
The issue everyone has is the fact the textures are so low res, but it takes up so much space. Less is more, with pretty much every game ever.

Gvaz said:
Launch:

+set com_allowConsole 1 +set com_skipIntroVideo 1 +cvaradd g_fov 20 (though I'd take the console one out, it does nothing but nag me)

Config:
Excellent, thanks. This is definitely the best settings combo I've tried yet, but I'm still getting a distracting amount of pop in. Nothing extreme, just noticeable. I think I'll just wait for a patch or drivers before digging in.

aeolist

Banned
Gvaz said:
The issue everyone has is the fact the textures are so low res, but it takes up so much space. Less is more, with pretty much every game ever.
It's a game with large areas and very very little texture repetition. They could make it use high res textures and keep the disk size down but the areas would be a lot smaller and they'd have to use the same shit over and over without all the subtle blending that's currently there.

At that point it would just look like every other game though.

Reallink

So why is a consoles with 256 + 256MB RAM able to handle 4096 textures with ease, but PC's with 1024 + 4096 apparently struggle with 8192 textures?

JaseC

Gvaz said:

But the only areas that use MegaTextures are the wasteland environments. In fact, the SP textures all add up to less than 12GB.

Reseil

Been a rough trip trying to get this right. Patches can't come soon enough.

I've been tweaking so much I can't tell what's good and what isn't anymore. My eyes are blurring RL textures now! I'm giving up for the night with 8x AA (also seeing the 16x as blurry as hell) and 8k.

Hate Steam's SS's:

2011-10-06_00002.jpg

Quad AMD 3.4
16 GB DDR 3
GTX 580

I should be able to crush this, but still getting texture tearing like mad and blurry (with Transcode it's less horrible) textures when turning. Actually plays like a champ performance wise, but so much tearing and blur it's a mess.

Hopefully we see some pain relief soon.

Tom Penny

aeolist said:
It's a game with large areas and very very little texture repetition. They could make it use high res textures and keep the disk size down but the areas would be a lot smaller and they'd have to use the same shit over and over without all the subtle blending that's currently there.

At that point it would just look like every other game though.

Great for outdoors when your not up close to anything. All the indoor areas are terrible when you move up close to objects. Real bad. It runs great though.

Reallink said:
So why is a consoles with 256 + 256MB RAM able to handle 4096 textures with ease, but PC's with 1024 + 4096 apparently struggle with 8192 textures?

They don't? Everything's working smooth as butter on my system. I really love this engine. The texture variety allows for some draw dropping environments.

jett

D-Member
Reallink said:

Because John Carmack felt like fucking over the consumers that have supported his company since its inception.

Gvaz

Banned
I never really notice the outdoor textures looking unique, They could be all the same and I'd never notice. The only ones I really notice are when I'm going to be up close, and 80% of those look like shit.

JaseC

Gvaz said:
I never really notice the outdoor textures looking unique, They could be all the same and I'd never notice. The only ones I really notice are when I'm going to be up close, and 80% of those look like shit.

The shit textures outside of the wasteland environments are not MegaTextures, though. Taking issue with the merits of the technology and pointing to the shit object textures, or, say, the laughable floor textures in Dead City is misguided.

Wallach

JaseC said:
The shit textures outside of the wasteland environments are not MegaTextures, though. Taking issue with the merits of the technology and pointing to the shit object textures, or, say, the laughable floor textures in Dead City is misguided.

Where did you read this? As far as I know they use virtual textures for everything in RAGE.

dimasok

Ok I managed to somehow fix the texture popping but now more than half of the characters in the second town are flickering!!! what the hell!!

JaseC said:
Yes they are. Everything uses virtualized textures.

JaseC

Wallach said:
Where did you read this? As far as I know they use virtual textures for everything in RAGE.
WHOAguitarninja said:
Yes they are. Everything uses virtualized textures.

Seems you're right, sorry. Earlier on MegaTextures were made in reference to the wasteland but since they shifted to the more advanced Virtual Textures the technology was used for much more.

Egg on my face is what I deserve having ignored the game's development for several years. :p

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Wallach said:
Anything between 8192 and 16384 won't work. Like 12,288 wouldn't crash the game but the textures wouldn't actually draw themselves properly.
Bummer.

Don't want to go over the 2GB on my cards.

Wallach

Hazaro said:
Bummer.

Don't want to go over the 2GB on my cards.

I think you could keep the usage under 2GB so long as you kept AA ~4x @ 1080p. Thing is I don't think that size of page file is going to have any noticeable impact beyond 8192 with the compression they're using. It's just going to crank your VRAM usage.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Wallach said:
I think you could keep the usage under 2GB so long as you kept AA ~4x @ 1080p. Thing is I don't think that size of page file is going to have any noticeable impact beyond 8192 with the compression they're using. It's just going to crank your VRAM usage.
Well I don't plan to pick it up for a while so I'll pick it up later and hope a lot of kinks are worked out with drivers/textures. More a technical wondering question.
Thanks.

aku08

SalsaShark said:
well shoot :/ everything was great but now i got out of these caves and im seeing stuff like these everywhere:

ohFuJ.jpg

v6CRU.jpg

moving around, appearing and disappearing

any ideas?

i had that happen to me earlier. the problem was i had vsync in my config file. i deleted vsync in my config file and forced it through my driver only and it fixed it for me.

Salsa

aku08 said:
i had that happen to me earlier. the problem was i had vsync in my config file. i deleted vsync in my config file and forced it through my driver only and it fixed it for me.

I actually fixed it by saving the game, exiting and loading it up again. It was some weird thing after leaving those particular caves so i think it was more of a bug issue or something. 0 issues after that.

Pimpbaa

JaseC said:
But the only areas that use MegaTextures are the wasteland environments. In fact, the SP textures all add up to less than 12GB.

Every area is using megatextures. The stuff that isn't is models (characters, vehicles, props, etc...).

Tom Penny

Pimpbaa said:
Every area is using megatextures. The stuff that isn't is models (characters, vehicles, props, etc...).

Indoor environments too? That's when the textures are really bad up close.

Well this game is making it hard to enjoy myself. Had two crashes tonight, one during a load screen to start a race event, and the other while loading up Wellspring after completing a mission.

This game needs some patching love, and more than just updated drivers, unless the drivers are to blame for all of the issues: character flicker, hard crashes on loading screens, flickering ammo that floats just above your weapon, etc.

forrest

formerly nacire
For those wanting to grab screens with no hud, just add this line to your config file.

Then when your somewhere you wanna screenshot from. Drop down the console and type:

screenshot imagename

This hides the hud and takes a jpg with the highest quality settings.

Hazaro said:

You want it to have a power of two.
So hardware can do easy mipmapping.

Glassboy

Gvaz said:
Launch:

vt_restart
vt_maxaniso 4
cvaradd g_fov 20
set com_skipIntroVideo 1
set com_allowConsole 1
fc_maxcachememoryMB 1024
ik_enablesmoothing 0
image_anisotropy 4
image_usecompression 0
jobs_numthreads 4
mem_phymemblocksizem 3072
m_rawinput 1
vt_qualityhdplossless 1
vt_qualityhdppower 0
vt_qualityhdpspecular 0
vt_qualityhdpnormal 0
vt_qualityhdpdiffuse 0
vt_qualitydctpower 100
vt_qualitydctspecular 100
vt_qualitydctnormal 100
vt_qualitydctchroma 100
vt_qualitydctluma 100
vt_usecudatranscode 2
vt_maxppf 16
vt_minlod -1
vt_maxlockedpages 256
vt_uncompressedvmtr 1
vt_uncompressedphysicalimages 1
vt_vmtrcompression none
image_lodbias -1
Config:
Thank you! Before, I tried probably like three other configuration, but none of them fixed the 2-3 second pause that would occur every couple minutes. They are now gone. I love you!

Gattsu25

Banned
gibon3z said:
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/540655515217898078/520C68D5FA3DBFC4726C43A17F5F224B6C597F5D/[IMG]

Green shadows and screen tearing are bugging me.[/QUOTE]The color usage is a stylistic choice. The screen tearing is a shame.

Dizzy-4U

I've been playing with the config file for like an hour. I'm pretty happy with the result.

I7 950 @ 4.2 // 8gb DDR3 @ 1800 and GTX 580 1.5GB (SLI disabled. I get stuttering otherwise).

Code:
seta com_videoRam "1536" //sets the Video Card memory Set this to the amount you have in MB
seta ui_fov "90" //PC FOV is 90-95 console is 65-70
seta image_anisotropy "8" //Using the highest setting here but you can set as 2, 4 or 8
seta image_preload "1" //Use preload images when ever possible
seta image_lodbias "-1" //LoD settings
seta image_ignoreHighQuality "0" //Sets up for using HQ gfx
seta image_ignoreLowQuality "1" //ignores the low textures
seta image_useCache "1" //Enabled Cache to allow the textures to load properly without popping
seta image_cacheMegs "125" //Cache size in Megabytes
seta image_cacheMinK "50" //Cache minimum size in kilobytes
seta r_useHighQualityPostProcess "1" //Fore High Quality post proccessing
seta r_shadowsHighQuality "1" //Fore High Quality shadows
seta r_displayRefresh "0" //keep it so the engine doesn't double render a frame
seta r_renderer "best" //highest rendering options
seta r_useRenderThread "0" // 0 Disable or 1 Enable threaded rendering useful for newer cards to increase performance.
seta r_visDistMult "1"
seta r_useMotionBlur "1" //use blur
seta r_skipBump "0"
seta r_skipSpecular "0"
seta r_skipNewAmbient "0"
seta r_shadows "1"
seta r_cgFragmentProfile "best"
seta r_cgVertexProfile "best"
seta vt_lodBias "-1" //LoD settings
//below is cache settings
seta vt_maxlockedpages 256
seta vt_maxPPF 16

Basically, it's almost the same as this one but I removed a few things. I was getting some weird blue boxes and "seta r_multiSamples "8"" was the cause. I removed it and now it runs ultra smooth at 60fps with 0 pop-in (not even in the first load) and no graphical glitches at all.

Synless

Can you run it.com is saying my Macbook Pro (bootcamp w/ windows 7) can run this thing like a champ, based off the impressions of people with far more powerful computers I think they are lying to me. Anyone here tried this on a macbook pro yet?

Top Bottom