• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raised by Wolves. HBO Max. Ridley Scott

psorcerer

Banned
I find it interesting in an abstract way, but not very entertaining. The mix of very high tech and stone age living just doesn't make any sense, nor does most of the plot. The plot has more holes than the planet does. Don't even get me started on wardrobe.

Once upon a time Christopher Nolan and Ridley Scott made a bet on who will create the most stupidly pretentious, pompous and meaningless sci-fi movie.
Nolan sat down immediately and created Interstellar.
Scott created Alien: Covenant but then he thought: I'm Ridley Scott I can do better at stupid.
He took some time, pulled his ass together, and that's how Raised by Wolves was created.

Watched the first episode. Seemed interesting enough to watch another.
HBO MAX needs 4K.

Yes. I am sort of annoyed with HBO Max. They had a streaming option then redid it and put some shows on it. This required renegotiated contracts and now there's two different HBO streaming services and most devices only support the original one.

And then this motherfucker is not 4k.

Things are getting interesting story wise. Also, worst orgasm for Travis Fammel there.

Episode 4 went full Warhammer 40k lmao

Raised by cameltoe. They've actually done a good job minimizing it, I think I've only seen it a few times in 5 episodes. I wonder if they had someone on set whose sole job was to smooth the crease or was it digitally de-creased.

Digital. Post-production supervised by Ridley for all episodes ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Tesseract

Banned
it's good, lots of disturbing imagery

hbo's output stream sucks, i remember thinking it was bad a few years ago with s08 of thrones (long night was a dithered mess)

Mossybrew

hbo's output stream sucks, i remember thinking it was bad a few years ago with s08 of thrones (long night was a dithered mess)

Yeah, I know it's not a problem on my end because I get gorgeous picture quality out of Netflix and Youtube 4k content. HBO is just substandard, especially a lot of artifacting in dark scenes.

Clarissa

Banned
Watched the first episode. Seemed interesting enough to watch another.
HBO MAX needs 4K.
Yeah I don't get why HBO shows are all 1080p SDR still. Like come on...

All Netflix Original content are 4k Dolby Vision since 2019.

I'm quite enjoying Raised By Wolves. And Travis Fimmel is awesome!

cheezcake

Really enjoying the show, the necromancer design is awesome.

The problem I have on that front is that we don't have any real characters legitimately from the Mithraic perspective, as if it's understood that a religious character would have nothing of interest to offer the audience. This is a major shortcoming of the worldbuilding.

They might have wrote themselves into a bit of a hole here. You're not going to get anything other than zealot Mithraics given that's the selection criteria for boarding the Ark. They might be able to explore it in the past sequences at least.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I've watched the first three episodes and it hasn't really done it for me yet. Each episode has me feeling cold/a little bored. Does it get better or should I move on?

So much stuff going on, what is it with that voice inside Caleb's head? What about the little girl Campion and others keep seeing/hearing?

Woo-Fu

Banned
So much stuff going on, what is it with that voice inside Caleb's head? What about the little girl Campion and others keep seeing/hearing?
Here's my guess:

There's an alien of some sort at the bottom of the pits with mental powers. Or it might be a different strain of humans. The reason they only see the little girl is because she's the one who died by falling into the pit. The real question is why it is trying to get Campion to commit suicide and Ragnar to spare the Necromancer.

There is at least one human on the planet that isn't from either group as far as we know. They haven't gone back to that story yet, though. You'll notice that the things they're killing and eating are disturbingly humanoid too but they never comment on it, which makes no sense to me unless cannibalism is commonplace on future earth and they failed to mention that, too.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Plots within plots. At least the story telling method is straightforward unlike Westworld which got so far up it's own ass it lost me.

mf_82

Neo Member
the " necromancer" seems overpowered. If such technology exists, why aren't they equipping it on regular soldiers? They seem to be using conventional weapons from today and useless armor.

Here's my guess:

There's an alien of some sort at the bottom of the pits with mental powers. Or it might be a different strain of humans. The reason they only see the little girl is because she's the one who died by falling into the pit. The real question is why it is trying to get Campion to commit suicide and Ragnar to spare the Necromancer.

There is at least one human on the planet that isn't from either group as far as we know. They haven't gone back to that story yet, though. You'll notice that the things they're killing and eating are disturbingly humanoid too but they never comment on it, which makes no sense to me unless cannibalism is commonplace on future earth and they failed to mention that, too.
Damn you're good, makes perfect sense.

Yeah I thought about the creatures too, they're eerily human-like.

Also why is Mother feeling horny? How the f was that even possible, fucking with the OG Campion? I mean, it didn't really happen but how was he in the computer and making that happen? Was that already planted in her 'brain'?

Last edited:
Damn you're good, makes perfect sense.

Yeah I thought about the creatures too, they're eerily human-like.

Also why is Mother feeling horny? How the f was that even possible, fucking with the OG Campion? I mean, it didn't really happen but how was he in the computer and making that happen? Was that already planted in her 'brain'?

>implying Sol is not an android that set the whole thing up ages ago

My money is on some sort of Prometheus redux with ancient robots instead of ancient aliens. This series is every Ridley Scott trope in one package. Either that Guzikowski guy wrote it hoping it gets in Ridley's hands, or the scripts were reworked once purchased by Scott Free.

Here's my guess:

Per Campion

If there is a plan, then a Campion suicide would cause a crisis in the Necromancer's brain which would lead to the event/act that the creature below is trying to produce. That's my best guess.

This is just a thought, but Christian theology has only been like a distant reference to whatever the Sol religion is so far and that religion has been poorly explained. The planet was also a mystery, but I feel like I'm getting more useful info on the planet than I am whatever Sol happens to be. Both have seemed to be linked.

I just hope this pays off and the Sol religion isn't a red herring. I don't want some Whisperer alien on the planet exploiting the new arrivals and that's the big explanation.

HeadsUp7Up

wxwzYdb.png

I was curious how the respectable folx at Re felt about this show and it's exactly as you expected.
It's got to be exhausting analyzing everything through this perspective. It's just a tv show...

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
The effects are great. As others have said though I really wish the streaming quality was better. I'll probably pick this up on 4k when it's released. Beautiful show.

Why do none of the streaming sites, Netflix, hbo, etc, let you configure the audiovisual quality of their stream? What are we paying for WTF

So far so good. Gotta love the sonic kills. Very Ridley. He's using all his usual crew from his movies. I liked the nod to Alien when father goes into the pit with the skin on the walls.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
She's glitching, but in a way that is making her more human, or at least making her desire things that aren't part of her core programming. As far as how he's in the computer we don't even know if he is in the computer. This could all be more glitches. It's kind of lazy writing, throwing out elements where it is impossible to determine whether they're real/imagination/hallucinations. For some reason the writer(s) wanted her to have sex with what is basically her father/creator. Ewww. From a practical standpoint I doubt she even has the hardware in the physical world. I mean if I was a killer android who had to protect her special eyes and had a mechanical orifice other than my mouth guess where I'd be hiding my eyes instead of on a stupid string bag around my neck?

Last edited:

frostyxc

Is it only me who thinks the necromancer stuff is really stupid? Think I might've liked this otherwise.
There is definitely some ham-fisted, eye-rolling writing going on in this show. It's still interesting enough, so I give it 3 out of 9 bag of popcorn... and a barrel of soy sauce.

Heads up: there's a free but short digital comic that was released today that answers some questions about Earth and Necromancers.
hbo-max-raised-by-wolves-1-1237829.jpeg

I downloaded it from Comixology but apparently it's available on most digital comic retailers.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Yeah, the show increasingly feels like its spinning its wheels going nowhere. Except for Father I find myself caring less and less about any of these characters with each episode.
Father is a highlight for sure. Travis fimmels character continues to grow on me.

frostyxc

The writers and producers of Raised by Wolves got caught up in this concept of a religious majority without putting in the work to make the show feel real or have any true depth. All we get are some cool costumes, decent acting, and half-baked concepts that dead end. I find Raised by Wolves still somewhat interesting and decently made, so I'm going to ride it out, but I won't be upset if this is a one-season wonder. Also, the show seems really cheap and the seams are showing as it goes on. Did anyone know that there was a huge mountain right next to the "village" until episode six or seven? Did a check come through late into production or something? Anyway, maybe the final three episodes will wow my knickers off, but I will set my expectations at "wet fart" and hope for a surprise that earns a golf clap.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Looks really cool. Is it laden with anti-religious propaganda?
It does a pretty good job of making both sides of that argument look bad. Most of the societal ills that Team Atheist blames on Team Religion are sooner or later exhibited by both teams. The problem isn't religion, it is humans and human nature and as the necromancer keeps glitching her way towards a vagina she starts exhibiting the same sorts of "bad" behavior she previously ascribed to the religious.

BaneIsPain

Finally get a chance to catch up this series. I just realize Father actor’s is Abubakar Salim, the voice of Bayek (Assassin’s Creed Origins). I hope the second season will not be a disappointment like Westworld.

dcll

Banned
I just finished the first episode...not real sold on it. I like how she can kill her co android so easily by slamming him on a big ass tooth when he is not bad shape as her yet she can take bullets like you wouldn't believe. Their goal is to make humanity survive yet flies up to the arc and crashes the whole thing and that small group of kids she brought back was all the kids on the whole ship??

Last edited:
Top Bottom