• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rape charge dropped against USC student after evidence of consent presented

Consent can surely be revoked, but what happens if consent is revoked during intercourse? (I mean obviously you stop having sex, but is it rape because he/she withdrew during the act?) Can you revoke consent after intercourse? How do you navigate those situations?

Sounds like some people here need to watch consent tea.

It's simple really, just fucking communicate with people :)
Don't be afraid of not seeming "cool" or sexy by asking if someone's OK with this before you try it or asking getting affirmative, positive consent.

You're having sex with someone and you decide to .... pull out and start anal or oral and they say "WTF are you doing?/ NO/ Stop" or w/e and you keep going for however long then that's rape.

You pull out annnnnnd ... decide to ram something else in side of them and they go "WTF are you doing?/ NO/ Stop" or w/e and you keep going for however long then that's rape.

You're having sex and your partner tells you they don't want to anymore regardless of how long it's been and you keep going for however long then that's rape.

On to the topic.
This title and read don't make sense.
I don't think any of that proves she consented to the act in the room. This should just be seen as a case in which her claims lacked evidence beyond a reasonable doubt.

One of the reasons I didn't engage in casual sex as a youth....

Yes... me too... That was definitely deliberate...
giphy.gif

But drunk sex sucks so...
Lol since when?

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I believe the case was that she didn't remember any of it, so that's why she assumed rape.

The video shows that she was into the guy and all over him, even at the dorm check-in.

Yes, consent can be revoked.

People need to stop slut shaming and the like, it's just sex. There's nothing wrong with hooking up, and people blasting people for it is a huge part of the problem. Someone who wasn't raped can be made to feel they did something wrong for having sex. That's wrong, they didn't do anything wrong.

I'm glad I'm married for almost 20 years and don't have to deal with the world these days in going out and partying. When people hooked up drunkenly in my younger years nobody gave a shit, and if they did they kept it to themselves instead of sharing in on Facebook or Twitter.

If this girl doesn't remember hooking up and feeling bad about it, I feel for her.. but just from the small part of the video and the alleged signals to her friends it sure as heck looks like she was planning on hooking up the whole time.

Ketkat

I get the sense that in this case the victim has been completely into it but has awoke the next day, had a hazy recollection, or no recollection, and made a snap judgement that she has been raped. Honestly if a similar situation had occurred to me, if I had been positively interacting with someone for a sustained period, had chosen to go back to theirs or taken them back to mine, but then woken up the next day not remembering exactly what I did or consented to, simply not knowing but knowing that something did end up happening, I'd just feel like: "well I put myself into that position and I have to take responsibility for that" in a way. Most people would feel shit the next day but accept they played their part in what happened, and it's sadly part of what happens when we all allow ourselves to get that drunk..

The "well I put myself into that position and I have to take responsibility for that" is a pretty dangerous way of thinking when it comes to rape and sexual assault. I felt personally responsible when I went through my own thing, and I'm sure a lot of others in these situations have as well. I felt like it must be my fault in some way, and it took me a long time to get past that. Telling people to just take responsibility because they feel they must be responsible in someway is harmful.

And your assumptions that she's lying about rape is not what this article or court hearing decided. All it decided was that there isn't enough evidence to forward with a trial because they can't prove what happened after they went into the dorm.

Kill3r7

Any reason why the girl accused the guy of raping her??

None of us outside the prosecutor know. I'm certain that whatever she said during her testimony, came into question once the video was shown. Thus, bringing the overall veracity of the story into question.

FyreWulff

We either make sex while under the influence completely illegal or people start installing bedroom "dashcams" to record everything that happens. I dunno, it's simply a grey area and you're just going to get to the truth in many of these cases at the end of the day without full documentation of events.

Or we could just acknowledge that women can withdraw consent at any time and are under no obligation to give anyone sex because they said certain words a certain amount of time ago

doesnt matter if she said she wants to own your dick at the bar, if you're all ready to get in her and she changes her mind

you stop

it's that simple

if you're mid thrust and she says stop, you fuckin' stop and pull out, and don't keep going until you finish like posters on gaf used to actually post that they did

Violet_0

Banned
nobody. that is the very very small risk you take as opposed to her much much higher odds of being murdered by you.
there's healthy risk assessment and then there's being terrified of the world. I sort of wonder if my partners in the past went through the "sex, or potentially being murdered?" dilemma in their head

KingV

Again this is a story of not enough evidence nothing more

And he's not going to jail or to trial

There's nothing that actually proves that she made it all up.

There's sort of a guilty until proven innocent vibe to this. There's actually more proof that it was consensual than it wasn't.

Didn't she claim he drugged her? If she was all over him, it's highly unlikely he gave her a roofie. One might say that is evidence of a lie.

I'm not really a swinger, and don't have casual sex, but it just terrifies me and makes me feel like I should never have sex if I fear that I'll be accused of rape because someone changes their mind after the fact or something.

Just don't have sex with people you haven't gotten to know well and trust. People who have casual sex with people they hardly know are putting themselves at all kinds of risks including diseases and babies!

There's sort of a guilty until proven innocent vibe to this. There's actually more proof that it was consensual than it wasn't.

Didn't she claim he drugged her? If she was all over him, it's highly unlikely he gave her a roofie. One might say that is evidence of a lie.

If you follow this conversation back just a little:

Send her to jail imo.

Presumption of innocence has to apply to everyone. You don't assume someone is guilty of rape without evidence and you also don't assume someone is guilty of making a false rape accusation without evidence.

KingV

If you follow this conversation back just a little:

Presumption of innocence has to apply to everyone. You don't assume someone is guilty of rape without evidence and you also don't assume someone is guilty of making a false rape accusation without evidence.

I believe she isn't intentionally lying, but there is also no independe tevidence to back up any of her account, and a few pieces of evidence to suggest it is factually inaccurate. I'm not sure why so many can't admit that he's probably innocent, and instead hang there hat on "we just can't PROVE that he committed a crime" when the unspoken subtext to that is "he very well might have done it".

At best he seems to have went from "accused rapist" to "possible rapist" and it's deemed improper to paint her as even "unreliable" which is probably the most generous interpretation of the inconsistency in her accusation and the video evidence and eye witness reports.

I believe she isn't intentionally lying, but there is also no independe tevidence to back up any of her account, and a few pieces of evidence to suggest it is factually inaccurate. I'm not sure why so many can't admit that he's probably innocent, and instead hang there hat on "we just can't PROVE that he committed a crime" when the unspoken subtext to that is "he very well might have done it".

At best he seems to have went from "accused rapist" to "possible rapist" and it's deemed improper to paint her as even "unreliable" which is probably the most generous interpretation of the inconsistency in her accusation and the video evidence and eye witness reports.

The comment chain you're jumping in on isn't about his innocence, it's about hers--suing her, sending her to jail. Presumption of innocence is several and separate to each individual, even if they are involved together in the same incident. I know that in some ways that doesn't seem logical or sensible, that it's intuitive to think that one thing or the other must factually be the case, but systems of justice have to balance the preservation of fairness and even-handedness against the pursuit of the truth.

Oppo

And he's not going to jail or to trial

There's nothing that actually proves that she made it all up.

you have got to be kidding me. she couldn't look guiltier. this is a rape accusation.

notice his name is in the article and hers isn't.

i can't take you seriously anymore. you're a cartoon.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
It means taking a trip to Tijuana and checking out Hong Kong.
I read that as King Kong and was like yea...I want to see King Kong too
you have got to be kidding me. she couldn't look guiltier. this is a rape accusation.

She couldn't be guiltier? Have you read the article at all and have any idea of how the law works?

Holy shit, really? That's horrifying.

I can distinctly remember one post on this forum from someone who seemed to take delight in continuing sex when it was clear his partner wasn't enjoying it (I think when people were like "wtf" he tried to walk it back as a joke). Wouldn't be surprised if more people talked like that.

Sunster

there's healthy risk assessment and then there's being terrified of the world. I sort of wonder if my partners in the past went through the "sex, or potentially being murdered?" dilemma in their head

being terrified of the world is saying you are afraid to have sex because a woman might say you raped her.

digdug2k

Yeah. There's weird missing info here. Like the initial reports have drugs in them, then its not mentioned here. And the roommate supposedly walked in and found him, but no one really explains what the roommate saw. I have a feeling the girl fell asleep, sometime either during or after the sex. The roommate came in (later?) and found her and the guy, decided it was rape, confronted him, and it escalated. Somewhere along the line people claimed that he drugged her. The video and Uber driver (apparently) show that she wasn't drugged up. At that point the police force probably just said "Fuck, this girls lying to us" and dropped it.

If he was guilty until proven innocent I'd be raging that he's still not going to trial

Here's the kicker she is also entitled to be innocent until proven guilty too.

There's not enough to put him on trial and there's not enough to put her on trial.

devilhawk

Yeah. There's weird missing info here. Like the initial reports have drugs in them, then its not mentioned here. And the roommate supposedly walked in and found him, but no one really explains what the roommate saw. I have a feeling the girl fell asleep, sometime either during or after the sex. The roommate came in (later?) and found her and the guy, decided it was rape, confronted him, and it escalated. Somewhere along the line people claimed that he drugged her. The video and Uber driver (apparently) show that she wasn't drugged up. At that point the police force probably just said "Fuck, this girls lying to us" and dropped it.
The drugged accusations are pretty common with drinking in college. I can't tell you the number of times where a friend (guy or girl, and I've even been guilty of this) thought that they may have been drugged because they only had "a couple of drinks" only to then be reminded by myself or another friend that they actually had a ton of drinks the night before.

I'm a cartoon because I said neither should be on trial? Meanwhile you're raging that she's 100% guilty of making it all up based on video way before the sexual encounter happened.

His name in the papers has nothing to do with anything you're raging about. That's the by product of a sexist society that tends to make life a living hell for women who come forward. Go ahead and fight for accused to not be named too if you want but don't wield her anonymity as a weapon.

The drugged accusations are pretty common with drinking in college. I can't tell you the number of times where a friend (guy or girl, and I've even been guilty of this) thought that they may have been drugged because they only had "a couple of drinks" only to then be reminded by myself or another friend that they actually had a ton of drinks the night before.

Or that when it's a couple drinks of moonshine it doesn't actually take that much

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

"She's soooo guilty. Even if I have no evidence. How dare you say things about the law that are true? You're a cartoon"

Seriously uh, listen to yourself

KingV

If he was guilty until proven innocent I'd be raging that he's still not going to trial

Here's the kicker she is also entitled to be innocent until proven guilty too.

There's not enough to put him on trial and there's not enough to put her in trial.

But when you say this:

The implied context is that it doesn't suggest that he is innocent, but just suggests that there is not enough evidence to prosecute. Innocent until proven guilty requires you to say if there is not enough evidence to prosecute than he is innocent.

And in my opinion, there is plenty of evidence to suggest that her accusation is not factual. I'm not calling her a malicious liar, but there is more evidence to suggest that he was falsely accused than there is to suggest her version of events is accurate. I'm willing to call it a terrible mistake, but my credibility is strained to say that "oh, he MIGHT have done it" or "we don't know that this is a false accusation" when she can't even get the circumstances around what happened straight.

There's lot of "maybe she withdrew consent" or "maybe she told him to stop", but she didn't say that. When she said he drugged her, but then there's video of her smoking and joking with the dude all the way from the bar to her dorm room, then it sort of strains credibility to say it was not a false accusation. It may not have been maliciously but it certainly appears to be false.

Edit: I'm not saying she should be charged, I'm just saying we should be comfortable in saying that he is innocent, instead of just "not enough evidence to convict".

But when you say this:

The implied context is that it doesn't suggest that he is innocent, but just suggests that there is not enough evidence to prosecute. Innocent until proven guilty requires you to say if there is not enough evidence to prosecute than he is innocent.

And in my opinion, there is plenty of evidence to suggest that her accusation is not factual. I'm not calling her a malicious liar, but there is more evidence to suggest that he was falsely accused than there is to suggest her version of events is accurate. I'm willing to call it a terrible mistake, but my credibility is strained to say that "oh, he MIGHT have done it" or "we don't know that this is a false accusation" when she can't even get the circumstances around what happened straight.

There's lot of "maybe she withdrew consent" or "maybe she told him to stop", but she didn't say that. When she said he drugged her, but then there's video of her smoking and joking with the dude all the way from the bar to her dorm room, then it sort of strains credibility to say it was not a false accusation. It may not have been maliciously but it certainly appears to be false.

Because in the end that's all we know. That's what the story is about

There was too much reasonable doubt to even go to trial.

Conversely there's too much reasonable doubt to put her on trial for false rape accusation.

KingV

Because in the end that's all we know. That's what the story is about

We know what she said, and we know the video evidence and eyewitness testimony contradicts it.

It's not that the video is unclear, or there is not enough evidence, it's that the evidence that they have actually seems to contradict her version of events.

Barzul

A friend of mine got falsely accused in college. He could've had a legit case brought against him by the state. He was lucky to have texts with time stamps etc. proving that she was knowingly coming to his crib for sex and a handwritten note she signed that alluded to consensual sex that she left on his car because he was avoiding her after they had sex.The DA confronted her with it and she admitted that she made it up and was angry because he just used her for sex and he wasn't hitting her up. The whole thing got dropped.

It pissed me off because so many women get raped on college campuses and every false accusation, makes it that much harder for legitimate cases to given the full consideration. Our society is still mainly patriarchal so we shouldn't make it harder for actual victims to get their due.

Top Bottom