• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare is still figuring out what Everwild is

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I wonder why they even announced the game if gameplay is not there yet. I mean, what they've showed so far looks really cool but.... c'mon, how many times we'll see videos like that before gameplay will be shown (if ever)? Bottom line is - if you aren't ready to show >the game<, there's no point in announcing it unless gameplay will be shown next time after reveal trailer.

kyoji

It seems like Microsoft really wants to build up hype so they're doing the same thing Sony did a few years ago by announcing games too soon.

Everwild, Avowed, maybe Fable, and SoD3 are all a long ways off.
The difference is one has a proven track record one does not. One is industry leader, one is not. MS cant afford to dilly dally around, why dont they have more gameplay to show? they should. they didnt do much towards end of xbone gen. and since people love to compare, comparatively speaking sonys studios in the last couple year leading up to ps5 launch are still putting out HQ titles whilst having a formidable array of games for ps5 looming WITH early gameplay to show. No excuses, that shit getting old and xbox die hards lick up every drop greenberg and spencer serve them. They should have took that money they invested into r&d for series x and getting extra flops and invested in something else.

Last edited:

McCarth

Yeah, I don't understand any of the enthusiasm for this game by some people. We literally know nothing about what this game is, how it plays, what genre it is, etc. I don't know what Rare was thinking by announcing the game this early šŸ¤·
The phenomenal graphical style is what intrigues me. But yes I agree, this game is definitely a ways away.

Dr Bass

Also, I totally called this a week or two back. I used Everwild as a game that seemed designed to hit some kind of target "We need a 'one with nature' type game with cel shared graphics to look creative and artsy". It didn't "feel" like it had a purpose based on the desire of a creator or someone with a vision. At least to me it didn't. That's because of things like having no gameplay in the first trailer, and a bunch of shots of "nature activities", like the animals with their babies etc.

Turns out, I was completely right. STILL no solid gameplay plan. Apparently it's a place you hang out and do the "one with nature" thing.

Contrast that with Kena. Seems like a similar theme, but tons of heart and soul because it seems like the creators care. They had a vision. And that's the problem with everything Xbox and Microsoft is doing right now. It's all soulless. It's just more cheap games, more studios, more shooting, more metrics to drive more Game Pass and therefore more recurring revenue, aka, increase their MRR numbers as a company. Yeah every gaming company wants to make money but it's just different with MS.

mortal

Gold Member
ā€œPart of the reason we havenā€™t talked a lot about Everwild is because weā€™re still feeling a lot of these things out. Weā€™re still playing around with gameplay ideas.
Wait what?

Still playing around with gameplay ideas? 2022-2023 It is then...

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
"Weā€™re still playing around with gameplay ideas." is what you say during PRE-production not during it. What happens when the wanna go from 3rd person to first person midway to the development???
No itā€™s not; itā€™s what you do when a game is early in development.

Why exactly are people surprised here?

It was announced as being in early development 8 months ago...

I love the games art style. I dont care for the human characterā€™s designs. And I have no positive thoughts about its gameplay possibilities.

That being said, Microsoft really just threw everything in that show. Even things on the drawing board. At this point I might actually buy a few xbox games just to show support. I feel bad at this point.

I love the games art style. I dont care for the human characterā€™s designs. And I have no positive thoughts about its gameplay possibilities.

That being said, Microsoft really just threw everything in that show. Even things on the drawing board. At this point I might actually buy a few xbox games just to show support. I feel bad at this point.

Phil Spencer literally stated at the start of the show that all 15 of their first part studios were working on games for XSX, but only 9 studios were going to appear at the event. What's with all the shit posting?

Phil Spencer literally stated at the start of the show that all 15 of their first part studios were working on games for XSX, but only 9 studios were going to appear at the event. What's with all the shit posting?
I mean what else would they be working on? Google Stadia? I said just now all of Sonyā€™s first party studios are working on games for PS5? Yet we didnt see Sonyā€™s biggest studios Naughty Dog and Santa Monica.

I mean what else would they be working on? Google Stadia? I said just now all of Sonyā€™s first party studios are working on games for PS5? Yet we didnt see Sonyā€™s biggest studios Naughty Dog and Santa Monica.
Naughty Dog hadn't even released TLoU2 when PS5 was officially revealed last month, of course they wouldn't have anything to show for PS5 lol.

I saw this earlier and I legit felt disheartened. Rare once was one of the best studios in the world, they delivered the goods like mad men. Now they're developing a game worrying about the gameplay later. This is flat out depressing and just an example that there are fates worse than death.
giphy.gif

From the trailers shown, I assume you are a group of animal rescue people. Most of the gameplay involves saving glowing animals from inclement weather, and the rest appears to be petting animals. The art style is fantastic!

Naughty Dog hadn't even released TLoU2 when PS5 was officially revealed last month, of course they wouldn't have anything to show for PS5 lol.
Naughty Dog is releasing a multiplayer standalone game. They are a two team studio. Probably announcing it on Augustā€™s State of Play. Halo on Xbox Sx isnt anymore of a next gen game then a TLoU2 PS5 edition. Which at 4K 60fps would look way more impressive. Whether the multiplayer is crossgen or PS5 exclusive is unknown.

Dr.Morris79

They got nothing but still got to release a console in November 2020 and sell it. So they'll hype with whatever they can come up with - even with abstract ideas of what the game is going to be. Phil and company literally did nothing but release mediocre stuff, close studios and cancel exclusives this gen. Phil only went on a hiring spree the last couple of years. The studios are not ready to show nor release AAA quality content. Games are coming in 2022/2023. Are they going to delay the console to 2022 - Hell No. By then Sony will be on overdrive. Begs to reason they want to dupe as many as possible with a premise. We'll see how much it worked come November.
Having Stalker 2 as a launch game sold me a console. Guess I was duped.

Vaelka

It looked like something different at least.
Sony has a huge lack of these types of games, their games feel so monotonous imo. They could use some games with this kind of art.

RCU005

I think they basically pressure SQEX to do that literally every single Playstation launch to try and motivate the Japanese market. Remember Versus XIII?

Or Shenmue 3

Dreams, Deep Down, and Agent to name a few.

First of all, Versus XIII, Shenmue 3, Deep Down and Agent aren't from Sony and they have nothing to do with that. It's the publisher that decides to show the games at the event, not Sony. Dreams had a very concrete concept since the beginning, it just took too long to make, because I imagine it's very hard to do a game like that (it's like making a game engine).

Second of all, one thing is to announce a game super early (even Kingdom Hearts 3 was announced before they started pre-production), another thing entirely is to announce a game without even knowing what the game is!

There are some games that don't work in production and need to get cancelled, but I think this is the first time a developer actually admits they are not sure how the game will play.

Last edited:
Really starting to feel like if Microsoft hadn't bought Rare out back when they did they would not have survived to this point on their own. Just mediocre rubbish.

Top Bottom