• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare is still figuring out what Everwild is

manzo

The problem is that i haven’t ever seen a good game come out where you just build a world, throw around some ideas and finally build a game on top of it.

Yes but initial Cyberpunk announcement was for hiring purpose. They needed devs at the time since they were smaller studio.
Games especially AAA games take a long time to make remember Dead Island 2 announce in 2014 when is that coming out Everwild announce in late 2019 it is now just 2020 not even a full year yet

It sounds like they actually have an idea for this game to me. You have to have an idea before you start making a game. However, Rare is working out more details within the game and there is no point telling gamers one thing if those details might change later. This news doesn't discourage me at all. Id prefer Rare figures things out on their own time.

Greeno

What game has Sony done this with?
The Last of Us 2:

They showcased an in-engine trailer in late 2016.

They then showcased a second in-engine trailer in late 2017.

They then showcased a gameplay walkthrough at E3 2018.

They then showcased a gameplay trailer in late 2019.

They then showcased a gameplay trailer in early 2020.

TLOU2 marketing run-up was basically the development time of the game.

You can say what you want about Microsoft's event, but you can't say that Sony doesn't do the same.

Last edited:

Caffeine

It also the Dev that made GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Killer Instinct, Battletoads, Banjo, Donkey Kong
The Dev who's name is on those games. Don't mistake that the current people there made any of those games. In fact most of Rare left before the Microsoft acquisition to go make Time Splitters, and since Free Radical fell apart they have been spread across the industry or not working in it at all. The companies legacy will forever be cherished, but what they have currently created in recent years this is what can be expected moving forward. Company ideology changes with time as do the people with it. Rare is really still figuring out what it is and the types of experiences they currently want to create.

Like seriously what the fuck Sony has to do with what he said?

can you actually comparatively back up what you’re saying?

as in when has Sony gone out there way to tour and event the way MS has been doing only to have devs under deliver on games that we all knew weren’t even close to being ready?

for fucks sakes dude fables been rumored for a while and all we got was a fucking Disney’s tinker bell cinematic!

no gameplay from anything worthwhile except for halo and that didn’t live up to the hype!

lol Sony showed Ni-Oh at the ps3 reveal show

I have no dog in the fight you guys are having. But both of them have equally been on some bullshxt at plenty of showcases

DerFuggler

So it's a game where you find wounded/dead animals and bring them to an altar to be resurrected via choreographed incense dancing? Sounds like a "Go to checkpoint, press X" type game. Hard pass from me. If they're trying to figure out anything, it's probably how to expand gameplay to "Go to checkpoint, press Y". Zero interest in this.

Greeno

I think that if Microsoft showcased Everwild with something similar to Project Athia's trailer, it would have been more meaningful.

Project Athia's trailer didn't show much more than a person walking and jumping around. However, that trailer showcased the graphics we can expect from gameplay and that is what is important.

Everwild could have gone with that. Imagine some parts of the Everwild trailer showcasing gameplay of any given character walking that hairy animal that broke the tree. This would showcase what graphics we can expect from gameplay.

Last edited:

sol_bad

The Last of Us 2:

You can say what you want about Microsoft's event, but you can't say that Sony doesn't do the same.

Naughty Dog always had a plan and vision for TLOU2.....
Taking a long time to make a vision is very different to showing a game and then saying they actually have no idea what the game is yet.

Killzone 2

Announced 2005 with a CGI trailer, showed behind closed doors in 2007, to the public in 2008 and released 2009.

Read above.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Naughty Dog always had a plan and vision for TLOU2.....
Taking a long time to make a vision is very different to showing a game and then saying they actually have no idea what the game is yet.

Read above.
“We’ll have plenty to say in the future on that, but … we have an idea we feel really passionate about, and we think there’s something special. I have a team of people that wake up every morning with the desire to make this game that they’re really, really passionate about.”

Doesn't really sound like they don't have a vision.

Last edited by a moderator:

sol_bad

“We’ll have plenty to say in the future on that, but … we have an idea we feel really passionate about, and we think there’s something special. I have a team of people that wake up every morning with the desire to make this game that they’re really, really passionate about.”

Doesn't really sound like they don't have a vision.

That just tells me that they have a vision for world that the game takes place in and they have the art style in place. But the sentence before what you quoted means they have no idea what they want game play wise.

iorek21

The Last of Us 2:

Except that everybody knew what The Last of Us was all about.

When TLOU2 was announced, the devs and the general public already had an idea of how the game was going to play out.

Building hype is part of the marketing process, it is very different from revealing a game that not even the developers have a clue of how it is going to work.

Every game company has shown a game that was in the early stages and sometimes those games don't come to fruition. Demonik on the 360 looked like diablo meets psi-ops, it never came out.

The issue here, just like the Halo issue, is that it isn't one thing. Microsoft could be excused for making a fumble here and there, it happens to the best of them. This isn't one fumble though.

Its' bragging about power and showing nothing to support that claim.
It's talking about 15 game studios and showing little, if any, actual solid gameplay.
Cross-gen games won't hold next gen back, then showing Halo.
Flip-flopping messaging
etc

It just gives me a worrying feeling that Microsoft aren't sure which direction they're going in, or they don't care.

I think people get too wrapped up in an art style sometimes. Its a game and no game was shown. In my opinion i cant stand the aesthetic of the game to begin with. Let rare make a real game not some artsy fartsy bullshit. A shooter maybe or an action adventure, maybe a platformer please. Im so tired of microsofts misuse of what was once a great development house.

That just tells me that they have a vision for world that the game takes place in and they have the art style in place. But the sentence before what you quoted means they have no idea what they want game play wise.
Sure, they forgot what the gameplay from the prior game was. I dont see how you got that from the quote, but I have some ideas

PresetError

Neophyte
I won't pretend I'm outraged because Playstation has done the same exact thing many times in the past. In fact, I bet Project Athia is as far along in development (if not less) as Everwild.

The problem for Microsoft is after wtaching the showcase I realized they have too many games in early development that won't come out in 2022 if they are not extremely rushed, which is always a very bad sign. Unless they release them half baked as ongoing experiences, which is a risky practice. Ask Fallout 76 or Anthem.

Can someone actually show me this Sony game that had the Sony developer come out and say "We're not even sure what the GAMEPLAY will be." Don't use game that took a long time or delayed, they just weren't sure what it was supposed to be.

Shaqazooloo

this why i prefer the Nintendo method. you tease a game. then a few years later you drop a trailer and say "Btw this comes out in 3 months"
As frustrated as people are about Nintendo keeping their cards firmly to their chest, I feel we should appreciate how short the wait is between full reveal and release is.

Sure they "revealed" a game like Metroid way in advance, but you can be confident that when they fully show it off it'll be ready and released that year.

Last edited:

nicktwilight

Neo Member
Does anyone even trust them that they can make something good after Sea of Thieves?All these years there have been only rumours and bad news from them.They turned them into the Kinekt studio when they wanted to sell it.They have all these great franchices in their legacy and they don't know what to do with them.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I really hate when they show stuff in early production

Chances are that this game will have a gameplay only in two or three years...

ANIMAL1975

And Undead Labs tweeted that State or Decay 3 just went into pre-production, smh. Wasn't Phil against showing games too early? Lol.

Xbox’s Phil Spencer: We Don’t Want to Show a Trailer For Things That are 2-3 Years Away
We are investing in new things, we signed things just recently that I thought, ‘Hey, from a PR standpoint it would be really easy for me to put a trailer on screen’, but then I know the game is not coming for another two and half or three years, so I didn’t want to do that.

MiguelItUp

This is why I don't like rendered reveals or trailers. Viewers can see it, get hyped, and build their own expectations that could be inevitably crushed when more of the game's info releases. This is sad.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
So they still experimenting with different gameplay concepts and figuring out what will stay and what not. Which any game developer does. It doesn't state that they don't have an idea for the gameplay. I feel like you see to much in in this interview. This narrative of Rare just making a pretty techdemo without vision and don't have any idea about the gameplay is straight up pulled from the ass.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aion002

lol Sony showed Ni-Oh at the ps3 reveal show

I have no dog in the fight you guys are having. But both of them have equally been on some bullshxt at plenty of showcases
So....

At that time Nioh had nothing to do with Sony, it was just a game that Koei was making for the PS3... Sony can't control the fact that Koei quitted the production of it.

Later, in the PS4, Koei decided to revive the project and Sony got involved in the publishing of the game. Nioh>>>>your favorite game. :messenger_winking_tongue:

So....

At that time Nioh had nothing to do with Sony, it was just a game that Koei was making for the PS3... Sony can't control the fact that Koei quitted the production of it.

Later, in the PS4, Koei decided to revive the project and Sony got involved in the publishing of the game. Nioh>>>>your favorite game. :messenger_winking_tongue:

I love Ni-Oh, but its not better than Chrono Trigger, FF6, or MGS1..my fave games lol 🤷🏾‍♂️

sol_bad

I won't pretend I'm outraged because Playstation has done the same exact thing many times in the past. In fact, I bet Project Athia is as far along in development (if not less) as Everwild.

The problem for Microsoft is after wtaching the showcase I realized they have too many games in early development that won't come out in 2022 if they are not extremely rushed, which is always a very bad sign. Unless they release them half baked as ongoing experiences, which is a risky practice. Ask Fallout 76 or Anthem.

Project Athia....
Square game, not Sony.

So they still experimenting with different gameplay concepts and figuring out what will stay and what not. Which any game developer does. It doesn't state that they don't have an idea for the gameplay. I feel like you see to much in in this interview. This narrative of Rare just making a pretty techdemo without vision and don't have any idea about the gameplay is straight up pulled from the ass.

Sea of Thieves was a retail priced early access game. Consumers covered the rest of the development costs as they figured out the ganeplay. Rare has no direction.

Last edited:
Top Bottom