• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare is still figuring out what Everwild is

NickFire

On page one of this thread we just found out that two of last week's games are still just concepts if I understood correctly. This is crazy. Can we at least get an upcoming 3rd party game that releases soon and looks really good?

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
giphy.gif

PresetError

Neophyte

Wild too has yet to show their gameplay features. Oddly Everwild looks inspired from Wild as it looks like cell-shaded version of Wild.

I know Wild is supposed to be still in development as of april 2020 news but the improvements this game should endure to see the light of day as a PS5 game are even wilder.

kuncol02

Banned
8 months and still have no framework of any gameplay??
They didn't say that they don't have any framework of gameplay. They didn't wanted to show it because it still can greatly change on that stage of production. Original Halo on that stage was probably still strategy game.

martino

this kind of news and after MS conference and the "output a AAA every other month" really fell like a joke.
It's a bad idea to begin with though.
For a chance at good content you need time.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
this kind of news and after MS conference and the "output a AAA every other month" really fell like a joke.
It's a bad idea to begin with though.
For a chance at good content you need time.
They want to have AAA game every other month. For normal not fanboy person that's obvious they can't achieve that in that short time especially that now game dev cycle is like 4 years, sometimes even more and every studio they bought had contractual obligations they had to fulfill (Outer Worlds, Wasteland 3, Psychonauts 2 and others). That's long time game which will effects we will see late in generation.

_Spr_Drnk

Banned
I refuse to believe this is the same company that made Donkey Kong Country.
But it's really not anymore. That game was 25 years ago, and the Stampers, arguably the driving force of the company left in the early 2000's. Rare is only Rare by name now. Any talent that made them what they were in the 80's and 90's has long left.

Kuranghi

I still don't understand if it was:

A) CGI
B) A target render
C) In-engine

Which do people here think it was?

I see people in this thread saying the love the style/look of the game and I'm just a little concerned if they are basing it on the particle effects, lighting, the way the characters look in motion (eg motion blur, etc), smoke simulation and other effects, that it won't actually necessarily look like that.

Especially if the trailer was CGI, but NXGamer seems to be praising the trailer without mentioning CGI, so should we assume that he thinks its B or C?

At first I thought CGI, but then since its a next-gen game I was happy to accept that it was in-engine and wait for more footage to confirm (Like I have with HFW), but then when they said they don't really have the gameplay/scenario worked out yet I wasn't sure again. Its very strange to me to have a full art style and designed characters and creatures if you don't even know what genre it is.

Moses85

Rare still figuring out what great games are.
They lost their greatness after the release of Conkers Bad fur day.

RIP my beloved gods of the 90+2000

Last edited:
My guess is it will be something along the lines of the cancelled Fable Legends, co op orientated with story elements thrown in and some lovely environments like that game had.

Personally I found those comments a little troubling about working out what it is, a clear vision and focus on what it’s going to be should be paramount imo.

I don’t want to see another Sea of Thieves situation where at launch it got some bad press & some negative player reactions only to then wait and wait for it to only start to see its potential a year or so later. You want a game to start off strong then build on that.

I still don't understand if it was:

A) CGI
B) A target render
C) In-engine

Which do people here think it was?

I see people in this thread saying the love the style/look of the game and I'm just a little concerned if they are basing it on the particle effects, lighting, the way the characters look in motion (eg motion blur, etc), smoke simulation and other effects, that it won't actually necessarily look like that.

Especially if the trailer was CGI, but NXGamer seems to be praising the trailer without mentioning CGI, so should we assume that he thinks its B or C?

At first I thought CGI, but then since its a next-gen game I was happy to accept that it was in-engine and wait for more footage to confirm (Like I have with HFW), but then when they said they don't really have the gameplay/scenario worked out yet I wasn't sure again. Its very strange to me to have a full art style and designed characters and creatures if you don't even know what genre it is.

C) In-engine. Doesn't look good enough to be CGI

Vawn

Banned
I know publishers have been showing games too early for a long time, but showcasing them even before they've decided what type of game they want to make is a new level.

PooBone

LOL, ya don't say?

This game still has no identity. They have a lady introduce it, they show us another trailer. Still, no one has a clue what this game is.

Silvawuff

Isn't this the exact thing that happened to Anthem? It spent a long time in development hell, ended up changing hands a few times and we ended up with...whatever we ended up with.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Isn't this the exact thing that happened to Anthem? It spent a long time in development hell, ended up changing hands a few times and we ended up with...whatever we ended up with.
This game was announced 8 months ago as being in early development.

So all we literally know is it's been in development for at least 8 months and they are still "playing around with gameplay ideas" (the actual quote from the article.) I don't see how this relates to Anthem.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Last guardian had a story and idea and game play laid out. They just didn't have the hardware to run it

You mean the same Last Guardian that was rebuilt from the scratch even by a different team? Yo'know, whatever, dont want this to be a tiresome warrying thing. You won, thanks, bye.

Silvawuff

This game was announced 8 months ago as being in early development.

So all we literally know is it's been in development for at least 8 months and they are still "playing around with gameplay ideas" (the actual quote from the article.) I don't see how this relates to Anthem.

Lemme clarify things a bit. The same exact thing happened to Anthem. IIRC Bioware had run it through several iterations and the product changed creative leads a few times. They couldn't figure out what kind of game it was or how it would play. This is why I'm reminded by Everwild's statement -- 8 months sounds like a long time to not know where your game design is going. I'm not saying it will tank like Anthem did, but it's not a good start from a similar retrospective.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Lemme clarify things a bit. The same exact thing happened to Anthem. IIRC Bioware had run it through several iterations and the product changed creative leads a few times. They couldn't figure out what kind of game it was or how it would play. This is why I'm reminded by Everwild's statement -- 8 months sounds like a long time to not know where your game design is going. I'm not saying it will tank like Anthem did, but it's not a good start from a similar retrospective.
We have no clue how much they do or don't have designed; they did not actually claim they are "figuring out what the game is".. they did not say "they do not know where your game design is going."

Just quote the dev.. if you think 8 months is a long time to be still "playing around with gameplay ideas" then so be it.. it doesn't sound that long to me especially if this isn't one of the typical standard genre games. I mean Halo CE was a third person strategy game well into it's development...

It's just a game announced way too early, being talked about before the dev is really ready to show anything.

It also the Dev that made GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Killer Instinct, Battletoads, Banjo, Donkey Kong

I grew up with the games you mentioned, but it's kind of been too long to still think that the current iteration of Rare is the same company that made those early games. I like Sea of Thieves well enough, but I don't hold them in reverence because of their early track record.

Top Bottom