• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare is still figuring out what Everwild is

FunkMiller

Gold Member
“We‘re still playing around with gameplay ideas. Maybe it’s a third person RPG, maybe it’s a first person shooter. Maybe you play as sorcerer, maybe you play as a warrior. Maybe you dunk your balls in hot acid, maybe you slap your grandma for being so sassy. We just don’t know what we‘re doing yet, but WE’RE VERY EXCITED TO BRING YOU OUR GRANDMA SLAPPING GAME TO GAMEPASS IN 2024.”

Last edited:

JonnyMP3

Not having a clear idea of gameplay and what they want the game to be is probably going to bite them on the ass. That's why great games have these genius creative directors to create a game that is their vision.
But unless they start having a direction of what they want their game to be, it'll end up being another 'Anthem'

It looked in a more 'complete' state and ready to release than Halo Infinite.

Should launch as early access and let players decide what they wanna do.

Not nearly as bad as EA announcing a game that's entering pre-production, but really, MS should have saved this for much later (like a few other titles).

Last edited:

Reindeer

What the hell have they been doing for the past year :messenger_tears_of_joy:
The more important question is why are Microsoft announcing a game that is only entering pre-production? Seems like a desperation move. It also seems like Microsoft studios are working at much slower pace than before, but it's kinda worrying when that slow pace leads to technically crippled games like Halo Infinite. There seem to be major issues with quality control and leadership at Xbox side of Microsoft.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems like Microsoft really wants to build up hype so they're doing the same thing Sony did a few years ago by announcing games too soon.

Everwild, Avowed, maybe Fable, and SoD3 are all a long ways off.
Pretty much! It's annoying we don't have any solid release dates on any of them, but I sure they're worth it down the line.

Grinchy

Banned
Wow, wtf. Are you kidding me? So they already "revealed" it with an internal promo video passed off as a game at E3 2019, then at their game showcase in 2020 they show yet another internal promo video, and in all of this time, they still don't even know what it is?

It's fucking annoying because I loved the art style on the first "reveal" and while this 2nd one still looked cool, the first question I came away with was about what the game actually was. And even they don't know...

dorkimoe

Just give us a new Conker game Rare and be done with it.
Kameo 2 please

Wow, wtf. Are you kidding me? So they already "revealed" it with an internal promo video passed off as a game at E3 2019, then at their game showcase in 2020 they show yet another internal promo video, and in all of this time, they still don't even know what it is?

It's fucking annoying because I loved the art style on the first "reveal" and while this 2nd one still looked cool, the first question I came away with was about what the game actually was. And even they don't know...

I mean they launched Sea of Thieves and took a year before people could figure out what it was about

Last edited:
'Use common sense and give your product a name first. How do you know what you are making without a name.'

'Thats the last thing you do...'

Why does everything MS touch turn retarded.

Last edited:

Rikoi

How can they create a game without even knowing what this game is about? Is this a joke?
So they just did some paintings but they still have no idea of the game they want to create, is this what game developers are today?

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Seems slightly blown out of proportion here. I imagine they have a fun sandbox right now and are figuring out how the pieces functionally come together.

They did the same with Sea of Thieves. They had a bunch of gameplay elements and had to figure out how to get them to work together. That game turned out great and has really had legs. It launched with a solid gameplay loop but lacked content. They’ve been fantastic with updates since then and it’s become a great game in its own right. If they approach Ever Wild in a similar manner with lessons learned from Sea of Thieves I imagine they’ll ship a fun game.

Drewpee

Banned
It was obvious. There is no gameplay yet in Everwild.

I am starting to get the impression this is a huge problem with Xbox studios. Maybe they have so much freedom it has actually hurt the production of games. I dont know the development process but I can see there being issues if 100 artists are left on their own to decide one best way forward.

Just my thought and probably wrong but humans are gonna human. Some can work on their own but some need a foot in their ass to get moving. I wonder if Phil is capable of the latter or if he has spent too much time trying to be a friend.

This is a more widespread problem throughout the industry in modern times because game designers have been replaced with "visionaries" and "artists" who worry more about evoking "feelings" in games than actually put hard thought into game systems and tech to support them.

Its why 99% of games are so mediocre now. Game design is dead and nobody is trying to push the envelope anymore, or the envelope is last priority.

iconmaster

Banned
From what I've read of the development of other games, this isn't unusual. There's a lot of prototyping and playing with (and discarding) ideas to figure out what's fun. The game doesn't really become what we think of as the game until surprisingly far into the process. So long as Everwild isn't coming out for a while, this is fine (and actually a good thing).

SALMORE

i think it will end up being an atmospheric walking Simulator in the vein of Journey with multiplayer focused ! they should have giving us what we want in the first place which's Banjo-kazooie 3

Patterson

I think this one of the problems with creating games with the target for Gamepass. it doesn’t need to be especially good to meet sales goals, it just needs to be made to fill a slot.

JTCx

The best part about this is that Phil said he doesnt want to announce games that are far from ready.

Yet here we are. No surprise hes flip flopping as usual. LOL

Ozzie666

That's definitely a unique way to design and build a game. Do they even have a genre or a direction. Is this like the Nintendo guys working on Splatoon?, this reminds me of that famous photo.

Top Bottom