• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank |OT| The Game based on the Movie based on the Game

Just found something else I don't like doing challenge mode.

On Quartu, Drek's robot says "Who created you?" to Clank which, first time around, I assumed was about his 'mother' that was going to show up later, but it's never even brought up :(

moka

My copy arrived today! Ratchet & Clank has always been one of my favourite games, it has this charm to it. Didn't have much time so I've only played it for about an hour or so but I can't wait to get stuck in.

Alpende

Just found something else I don't like doing challenge mode.

On Quartu, Drek's robot says "Who created you?" to Clank which, first time around, I assumed was about his 'mother' that was going to show up later, but it's never even brought up :(

His 'mother' is essentially Drek as he was created in his factory, he's just a faulty robot
. I don't really get the complaint?

My copy arrived today! Ratchet & Clank has always been one of my favourite games, it has this charm to it. Didn't have much time so I've only played it for about an hour or so but I can't wait to get stuck in.

Enjoy!

Just finished it. Pretty standard Ratchet & Clank and not as satisfying as UYA or ACIT, but still fun and I'm glad I played it.

I hope they're working on a sequel that takes some risks and introduces some new stuff to the series.

Yeah, with everything ready again now, I'm looking forward to an all-new sequel. I hope they're working on it too. :)

Skidd

I don't really get the complaint?
Because Clank does have a "mother" (the assembly machine) in the original game and they have a short scene with her but is never brought up in the new game. I would guess that was the issue.

Clank's origin was not that well explained or fleshed out in general.

geordiemp

Just finished my 2nd play through, the Ryno is far too powerful for new game plus, even on hard, they should of toned it down allot.

Still enjoyed it. I still think this game would play better with not being able to hold triangle and select guns and the game PAUSING.

It would flow so much better if you could only change guns in real time using D pad for the first 4, and Triangle + D pad for a back up 4 or something similar.

OK, it limits your guns to 8, but real time switching would be so much better. Also with Real time switching they could have a online coop mode with Quark and Ratchet. That would be cool.

Insomniac could do so much more with R&C. Thought a crack in time was better, but not by much.

Think I preferred the 60 FPS as well, hopefully Neo will save us.

OH, and O button is swinging, why does it sometimes shoot the damn gun as well ?

Weiss

Banned
Got the game on Sunday. It's Ratchet & Clank and therefore pretty fun, but I'm finding it lacking compared even to the PS3 trilogy, which were kind of a step down in content from the massive PS2 games, and none of the guns I have so far feel really satisfying to use.

The return of the jetpack is well appreciated, though. Hopefully a sequel will improve things. I'm curious as to where the series is going to go from here. If it's not contained by a possible sequel I could easily see them abridging GC and UYA in one game, and then either porting the Future trilogy to PS4 or making another abridged game of it. I'm still waiting on a follow up to the ending to Nexus.

So I guess I missed the gold bolts on the
Deplanetizer

I believe there is a second visit coming up, can I go back and revisit it after this or do I need to collect them both this time?

Also, is
Novalis
gone forever?

So I guess I missed the gold bolts on the
Deplanetizer

I believe there is a second visit coming up, can I go back and revisit it after this or do I need to collect them both this time?

Also, is
Novalis
gone forever?

yes and yes
Luckliy there isn't any gold bolts there and for Deplanetizer, you can return to it anytime after the second visit

Alpende

Because Clank does have a "mother" (the assembly machine) in the original game and they have a short scene with her but is never brought up in the new game. I would guess that was the issue.

Clank's origin was not that well explained or fleshed out in general.

I see. I haven't played the PS2 game so I just thought the way they explained it was the same as the PS2 game.

Got the game on Sunday. It's Ratchet & Clank and therefore pretty fun, but I'm finding it lacking compared even to the PS3 trilogy, which were kind of a step down in content from the massive PS2 games, and none of the guns I have so far feel really satisfying to use.

The return of the jetpack is well appreciated, though. Hopefully a sequel will improve things. I'm curious as to where the series is going to go from here. If it's not contained by a possible sequel I could easily see them abridging GC and UYA in one game, and then either porting the Future trilogy to PS4 or making another abridged game of it. I'm still waiting on a follow up to the ending to Nexus.
I agree that it felt lighter overall compared to some previous Ratchet and Clank.

I think this article gives good insight as to why that is the case though.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm going to get this tomorrow, and I really wonder how I'll like this game having played most entries in the series. Last one I played was A Crack in Time and thought that was a big improvement over ToD, hoping this one's just as good!

Ferr986

Man, I'm at the final boss and he is kicking my ass. There's so much shit going on and I can take care of everything plus having to constantly swap weapons.

I feel like at the end the game it turned too shooter heavy.

thenexus6

Man, I'm at the final boss and he is kicking my ass. There's so much shit going on and I can take care of everything plus having to constantly swap weapons.

Really, what difficulty? I absolutely destroyed him in about 30 seconds and was pretty disappointed with how easy it was.

When he lands on the platform, use the Apocalypse Glove and the Proton Drum. Aside from that, just shoot at him as you're flying through the air and make sure to refill your jet pack at the next platform after he destroys one.

Did you get the Ryno? Turns that last boss into a joke. Actually turns every enemy into a joke.

The last boss took me less than 30 seconds I think, it only went as long as it did because of his canned boss phases that have to happen.

Ferr986

Alpende

The last boss takes a long time if you don't have the RYNO. With the RYNO it's easy as hell but without it, I had a little more problems. Probably used almost all of my weapons and unloaded everything I had onto him.

I'm on Gaspar with literally just one brain left to find in the final set (60 this time), and I have no idea where to look because it's like a needle in a haystack. And I did uncover the secret lair areas, too.

I'm on Gaspar with literally just one brain left to find in the final set (60 this time), and I have no idea where to look because it's like a needle in a haystack. And I did uncover the secret lair areas, too.

I had a problem with this. I looked up to see if it was glitched, and I think if you die after releasing the brain but before you collect it, it can disappear. I left the planet and came back and was able to find the last one though. Hope this helps.

Did you get the Map-o-Matic? it will help you to find the missing brain or do as HylianHero12 said.

-MD-

Just started this, played like 2 hours and it's really enjoyable so far.

Can't believe it's been ~7 years since the last (full length/retail -_-) game. I'm just glad it's back and was successful, I'll take more games like this please.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Played this a lot yesterday and today, and I'm already nearing the end I think (have to get the hologuise now). It's been fun to return to this series, first one I've played since A Crack in Time. I was looking at the ones I missed and seems like Into the Nexus is the only worthwile one, didn't even know that game existed.

Still, I wish they'd make one that strayed from the template a bit more. I don't remember much about Quest for Booty, but as far as I can remember, that one felt a bit different. Less shooting, more platforming iirc.

Going to try for the platinum, shouldn't be too difficult. Groovotron'ing everything is probably the hardest trophy

Completed this over the weekend. Decided to go for the platinum but there's a few questionable grinding trophies, like upgrade and max out the stats for all weapons.

People that got the platinum, was it a slog to get or was it just as fun as the game was?

It was fun. Honestly, just doing a challenge mode playthrough naturally got me 98% of the way there; I only had to grind two or three weapons to max post-play.

Good stuff. Even grinding a few to level 5 last night wasn't that bad. do you have to buy the super expensive weapon upgrades before they'll get to level 6?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
People that got the platinum, was it a slog to get or was it just as fun as the game was?

Started playing this sunday, got the plat today. It's in line with the other games. At the end it starts to feel like a bit of a grind, but it's mostly fun. The omega RYNO costs 1 mil and it takes a while to get there. I think it took me half of a third run to max out the RYNO and Sheepinator. That weapon levels very slowly, the best enemies to up that are the huge brains on the lava planet. You find a bunch and they can be transformed.

A few things to keep in mind:

- Once Skid McMarkx asks you to kill the sandsharks, do so but keep a few alive. Then quit out and restart. All the sandsharks will respawn. You can use this in challenge mode to get your 20x multiplier easily and get a ton of bolts fast. Also to grind exp for weapons.

- The
Ms Zurkon
boss is great for farming weapon xp. You keep the progress if you die, so keep unloading but not killing her.

- The most annoying trophy for most seems to Death by Disco, to make every enemy type dance. Keep in mind that the progress stacks in your challenge playthrough: every enemy you grooved, will still count in challenge mode, but! Once you start a second challenge run, the progress will reset. From that point on you'd have to make it to the final boss again. So try to get this in your challenge run. Powerpyx has a great vid guide

I was surprised to see it pop early on in my challenge run, must've been pretty thorough.

Overall it's fun to see the series back on PS4, but it is literally like any other game in the series. I do hope the next entry feels a bit different at least.

My favorite games are still Going Commando on PS2 and Crack in Time on PS3.

VariantX

Just got this on loan from a friend for a few weekends and i got to say its every bit as polished as the old trilogy of which I only played 2/3. I've got only a couple of nitpicks so far. Why does ratchet immediately start the game with the swingshot? Considering his home planet is barren of activity save 1 thing, it would have made more sense that he did something, anything to get a piece of traversal equipment. The trespasser seems to be the worst part of the game and feel wholly separate from the rest of the game. All the other puzzles i encountered so far are either platforming or the type where you manipulate the environment, and feel no different than anything else you do..

Started playing this sunday, got the plat today. It's in line with the other games. At the end it starts to feel like a bit of a grind, but it's mostly fun. The omega RYNO costs 1 mil and it takes a while to get there. I think it took me half of a third run to max out the RYNO and Sheepinator. That weapon levels very slowly, the best enemies to up that are the huge brains on the lava planet. You find a bunch and they can be transformed.

A few things to keep in mind:

- Once Skid McMarkx asks you to kill the sandsharks, do so but keep a few alive. Then quit out and restart. All the sandsharks will respawn. You can use this in challenge mode to get your 20x multiplier easily and get a ton of bolts fast. Also to grind exp for weapons.

- The
Ms Zurkon
boss is great for farming weapon xp. You keep the progress if you die, so keep unloading but not killing her.

- The most annoying trophy for most seems to Death by Disco, to make every enemy type dance. Keep in mind that the progress stacks in your challenge playthrough: every enemy you grooved, will still count in challenge mode, but! Once you start a second challenge run, the progress will reset. From that point on you'd have to make it to the final boss again. So try to get this in your challenge run. Powerpyx has a great vid guide

I was surprised to see it pop early on in my challenge run, must've been pretty thorough.

Overall it's fun to see the series back on PS4, but it is literally like any other game in the series. I do hope the next entry feels a bit different at least.

My favorite games are still Going Commando on PS2 and Crack in Time on PS3.

Thanks a lot for your advice mate. I already made the mistake of killing all the things after meeting Skid, but getting some good upgrades hoping between that planet and the one with the slime creatures. Racking up bolts with the multiplier and levelling up the weapons. I'll try to get the weapon upgrades before getting to the first boss. Thanks again, that's really helpful!

Famassu

Just got this on loan from a friend for a few weekends and i got to say its every bit as polished as the old trilogy of which I only played 2/3. I've got only a couple of nitpicks so far. Why does ratchet immediately start the game with the swingshot? Considering his home planet is barren of activity save 1 thing, it would have made more sense that he did something, anything to get a piece of traversal equipment. The trespasser seems to be the worst part of the game and feel wholly separate from the rest of the game. All the other puzzles i encountered so far are either platforming or the type where you manipulate the environment, and feel no different than anything else you do..
While this is technically a remake of the first game, it's still, like, the 20th Ratchet & Clank game, so it does make some sense to have Ratchet start with a tool/ability like swingshot which is a staple of the franchise. It does bring some variety to the platforming/traversal, which is much needed in the beginning, since otherwise Ratchet would only be able to run & jump.

Bandit1

Yeah I thought it was strange Ratchet already had the swingshot. But I guess it is possible he bought one with the bolts he earned working in the garage, haha. I found Clank already equipped with the hydropack to be more puzzling. Regarding the Trespasser, that gadget comes directly from the original game, and there is almost always some type of hacking gadget to get through locked doors. Going Commando had the Electrolyzer and Up Your Arsenal had the Infiltrator.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Hey guys, what's a good way to level your guns in challenge?

Like I said just above, the
ms zurkon boss fight
is a good spot, just keep dying and don't kill the boss. The exp carries over. Just make sure you've bought as many weapons as you can til that fight.

I was starting to think upgrading everything to lvl 10 would take me 3 runs, but I managed to max out like 5 weapons on that fight alone.

I just finished this last night, coming close to 100% (just missing a few holocards).

What a fantastic game. Having never played this series before, it left me wanting MORE. I sincerely hope Insomniac follow this up with an even more robust sequel.

The way the game drops various mechanics and abilities on you with the awesome gadgets...it keeps the gameplay fresh the whole way through, for the most part. I didn't even mind the hoverboard races all that much once I tasked myself with actually completing them. I just wish the controls weren't so touchy.

It's also a gorgeous looking platformer, as well. Surprisingly crisp and vibrant graphics with some neat looking worlds.

A bit of it does feel a little "hollow"...I don't know if I'm articulating that correctly, but I suspect Insomniac did work to get this out in time with the movie where it might have been even better than it already is with several more months in the oven. That's a minor gripe, though.

I'd love to see them take their time with a proper sequel, and sincerely hope they have plans to do so. I take it this game sold well enough to justify a sequel on PS4?

All in all, this is an essential title for PS4.

Question about starting Challenge Mode: Do all of my collectibles carry over or is it just the weapons?

How, exactly, does Challenge mode work?

sackninja

Bump? No one?

The drop off in interest for this game...deserves way better than that.

I think the drop off might be because the game is single player only and quite short. People have played through the game and challenge mode if they want to and are done with it now. I still need to get around to picking it up.

Top Bottom