• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank |OT| The Game based on the Movie based on the Game

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Every time I play through a recent Ratchet game I think 'man I wish this was the first time I played one of these'. Had the same feeling with ToD and CiT. These games look so good and are so fun to play, but every time you're basically playing the same thing.

Bump? No one?

The drop off in interest for this game...deserves way better than that.

Challenge mode is basically NG+. Everything carries over except the gadgets required for story progress. You can buy better versions of your weapons and get those to lvl 10. There's also a bolt multiplier now, that increases as long as you don't get hit. Your health continues to level as well, to 200.

Apparently some people get hit with a bug where all their weapon progress + upgrades is lost, crossed fingers both times I started challenge mode for the plat

COOLSKELETON95

Neo Member
I just finished this last night, coming close to 100% (just missing a few holocards).

What a fantastic game. Having never played this series before, it left me wanting MORE. I sincerely hope Insomniac follow this up with an even more robust sequel.

If you've got the means to play them, I would highly recommend the PS3 games - that was where I came into the series and it got me hooked. A Crack in Time is particularly solid.

I'm having a really great time with the PS4 game, just on my Challenge Mode playthrough now and once again I'm glued to it. Definitely wouldn't mind an update of the other PS2 games in this vein.

Bandit1

What a fantastic game. Having never played this series before, it left me wanting MORE. I sincerely hope Insomniac follow this up with an even more robust sequel.

I'd love to see them take their time with a proper sequel, and sincerely hope they have plans to do so. I take it this game sold well enough to justify a sequel on PS4?

I believe this was the fastest selling game in the series, and Insomniac seems to be really devoted to the franchise so I think it's safe to say we will see another.

The big questions to me are when, and do they pick up where this game left off or where the future series ended?

AwShucks

Finished yesterday. Fantastic overall with a few issues (the final required rail grinding for instance). Mr Zurkon and the exploding bouncing balls were my weapon combo of choice.

Humdinger

Gold Member
Bump? No one?

The drop off in interest for this game...deserves way better than that.

It's a great game, but there's not a whole lot more to be said at this point. The game has been out for two months, and it only takes about 10 to 12 hours to complete, so most people have played through it, said how much they enjoyed it (80 p. thread), and then moved on. No DLC, no multiplayer. You'll hear occasional talk from the few who are doing a second run-through or trying to get every trophy, but I wouldn't expect a whole lot of discussion.

Hey guys, what's a good way to level your guns in challenge?

If you do the optional sidequest on Politaru with the water pumps, you can farm and upgrade your weapons by killing the amoeboid over and over, just don't kill all of them. Adjust the difficulty and it'll star you right back in front of them. Bit repetitive but gets the job done. Recommend using the Sheepenator on one of the bosses though.

Famassu

Boss fights are the best to level up weapons, except sheepinator. I leveled up all of my still-not-fully-leveled-up weapons on the second to last boss fight while on my challenge run. I just blasted through my ammo, let the boss kill me and then went at it again. You're constantly getting level ups for your weapons that way, except for a couple of weapons that are slow to level up against a single opponent.

Oh yeah, sorry, of course it didn't work on the bosses. it levelled up fairly quickly on enemies like the Warbots.

I'm not that far off the platinum now. Just got to 'sheepenate' all enemies- which I'm hoping I did on this challenge mode run, the lap times on the races and a few other minor ones. Really good game but after using the Ryno to run though a second time, it does expose how thin the game is. Excellent and fun to play, but thin. I'd welcome a second one for sure.

It seems to be selling well too, it's still in the top 10 sales this week.

zoukka

Some quick thoughts:

-Graphics can be bombastic at times. When Clank is chased in the beginning, the game looks like a CGI movie.
-Basic R&C game play is always fun.
-It's interesting to see the original levels and characters remade.
-Didn't remember how open the original game was. You can actually choose where to go and there's plenty of secrets in the maps.

-The story bits from the movie are fucking awful.
-Some of the original character designs don't hold up and look weird remade.
-Some of the old story stuff is much better than the updated stuff.
-Some of the old mission design is pretty crummy (kill X enemies)

This basically feels like a Ratchet & Clank game but the soul has been sucked out by the movie industry stuff. The game play is still solid.

Eh, you have to groovotron everything for the trophy, not sheepinator :)

Christ I'm all over the place, sorry. You're also right. Have to Groovatron everything (coming up to the last 2 bosses now) and the races. I'm really going to struggle getting the trophy for the races, tried last night and I'm a good 15-20 seconds off, even on easy.

Alpende

Christ I'm all over the place, sorry. You're also right. Have to Groovatron everything (coming up to the last 2 bosses now) and the races. I'm really going to struggle getting the trophy for the races, tried last night and I'm a good 15-20 seconds off, even on easy.

I believe you can turn on invisibility so that you won't get slowed down by the red crates.

EDIT: Invincibility of course

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Remember, you can use the slow motion 'cheat' in the menu and it will still count. You only need 5 or 6 gold bolts to unlock that. The game moves a bit slower and you can dodge the bombs more easily. The first race seemed really hard at sub 1:35, but when I started doing tricks and getting boosts all the time, I got to 1:32.

But yeah, with slow motion enabled :p

taybul

End-game spoilers:

Man Nefarious was too easy with the Ryno. I was really hoping that was just his first phase. Qwark's fight was more interesting/fun. I'll have to go back and do a no-Ryno run on those bosses.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Holy shit, really? Will turning on either of those affect the remaining trophies and getting the platinum? Didn't even know cheats were a thing in this!

If you enable infinite ammo, your weapons won't upgrade, same for invincibility and your health bar level. But you're fine if it's just for the race. Then just turn the cheats off again.

Has the glitch that allowed you to unlock the race trophy without actually finishing it been patched?

I think so, didn't work for me on 1.04. I think this was a 1.03 only thing.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So.. whens the DLC?

Like, im legit asking for more content.
I still have 4 weapons to max out and im replayin' the game on hard but its too easy.

So yeah... im cool with an horde mode kind of thing, i just want MOAR R&C!

KodaRuss

I have been having fun with the game and nearly at the end I believe. It is a weird experience for me playing this game as I remember a lot of things from the original but it has been 10+ years.

I am glad it was not $60 but it is solid. I wish I could look back at the original but the story kinda sucks so far. I remember there being a lot more Ratchet and Clank friendship building and a lot more Quark foolishness.

Some quick thoughts:

-Graphics can be bombastic at times. When Clank is chased in the beginning, the game looks like a CGI movie.
-Basic R&C game play is always fun.
-It's interesting to see the original levels and characters remade.
-Didn't remember how open the original game was. You can actually choose where to go and there's plenty of secrets in the maps.

-The story bits from the movie are fucking awful.
-Some of the original character designs don't hold up and look weird remade.
-Some of the old story stuff is much better than the updated stuff.
-Some of the old mission design is pretty crummy (kill X enemies)

This basically feels like a Ratchet & Clank game but the soul has been sucked out by the movie industry stuff. The game play is still solid.

I think it's less the old character designs don't hold up, and more just the way they redesigned a lot of them in a new style looks weird.

I agree with you on the other points, but could I ask you to elaborate on the bolded one? I think the general level design holds up very well except for the fact that the levels feel shorter when playing through them with strafe.

pixxxelz

Started playing this yesterday and holy shit is this game pretty! Can't help but to stop myself every now then and just stare at the environment and take a ton of screenshots, also I freaking love all the references and fourth wall breaking lol, so far this is a solid 10/10 don't know if its going to slow down at the end though.

Also how does this compare to the original ps2 version in terms of length?

Started playing this yesterday and holy shit is this game pretty! Can't help but to stop myself every now then and just stare at the environment and take a ton of screenshots, also I freaking love all the references and fourth wall breaking lol, so far this is a solid 10/10 don't know if its going to slow down at the end though.

Also how does this compare to the original ps2 version in terms of length?

HTLB should give you a good idea https://www.google.com/search?q=htl.....69i57j0l5.5311j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

It's missing about 6 locations from the original, but there are some completely new things too.

Shit! Did the two races, finished the game, still didn't get the hacking and disco trophies! Really didn't want to go through a third time and I'm sure I didn't miss any.

Here we go again...

pixelation

Did the game receive a patch that improved the AA?, i am playing through the game again and i don't see as many jaggies as i remembered.

mulac

The last boss is totally kicking my ass - had him down to 5% but i had zero ammo left, minimal health and each platform in the area had the flying robots.

Love this! I will defeat it tonight...

zoukka

Did they remove most of the dialogue between R and C? It seems like the dialogue is on mute most of the time, I was actually surprised when Clank spoke up during gameplay at one point...

Intel_89

Got the platinum on this last night, it's a pretty solid game with great visuals and tight controls, the humor made me cringe most of the time and I was starting to get fed up with Clank puzzle sections but I guess those gave the game a bit of variety.

Did they remove most of the dialogue between R and C? It seems like the dialogue is on mute most of the time, I was actually surprised when Clank spoke up during gameplay at one point...

It feels like a lot was cut out or not enough put in both the story and dialogue, which is a shame. I never played any of the originals but there's little / no character building with any of the characters, let a lone R&C.

brawly

Is there no weapon wheel in this? What does L1 do? I thought it was just because I had four weapons but nope. Not good.

Finished it yesterday and platinumed it today, i really enjoyed it. It was a while since i had really fun just by playing a game, i just love too much this series.

I have 3 complaints:

- I feel like the game was too much "constrained" by the movie. I don't know how to explain it lol. It felt like watching a kid movie story wise, there were literally moments while watching a cutscene that i thought "this looks like a cheap tv show for kids". It felt like it missed some of the things like the irony and charisma from the orginal games (to adapt it the younger public of today maybe?)... Maybe it's just me

-Soundtrack. I can't remember a single track from the entire game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D60HTdBckxM

From a comment in the yt comment section:
"when i think of ratchet and clank i think of this theme"

It's the same for me. But there's nothing like it for this reimagining

-I need more :(

Now i hope we will get a proper new entry or a reimagining of gc with a proper budget now that it proved to sell well.

Famassu

Yes, Clank is hardly a character in this game and all of the conflict that was between Ratchet & Clank in the OG first game is gone. That is unfortunate, but blasting through the game is so fun that I can somewhat overlook the lacking story. Hopefully the next R&C isn't weighed down by some dumb low budget movie.

Megatron

Every time the game goes to a cut scene or comes out of it I see a message that says gameplay recording has resumed because you exited a blocked scene. Why is that? Is it recording? How do I turn that off? I don't need to fill up my hard drive with videos of my mediocre gameplay.

Linius

PS4 is always automatically recording the last 15 minutes of your gameplay, it's not storing everything you do. And you get that message because there are cut scenes from the actual movie in the game and Insomniac doesn't want to recorded I suppose.

Nearing the end of the game myself, goin back to the deplanitiser.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Every time the game goes to a cut scene or comes out of it I see a message that says gameplay recording has resumed because you exited a blocked scene. Why is that? Is it recording? How do I turn that off? I don't need to fill up my hard drive with videos of my mediocre gameplay.
Nope, it's not recording. It's saying you can now record if you want to (Through the Share functiionality).
It's there so you can't record footage from the movie.

BTW... WHENS THE DLC? I WANT MOAR R&C!

Megatron

PS4 is always automatically recording the last 15 minutes of your gameplay, it's not storing everything you do. And you get that message because there are cut scenes from the actual movie in the game and Insomniac doesn't want to recorded I suppose.

Nearing the end of the game myself, goin back to the deplanitiser.

Nope, it's not recording. It's saying you can now record if you want to (Through the Share functiionality).
It's there so you can't record footage from the movie.

BTW... WHENS THE DLC? I WANT MOAR R&C!
Ok, that makes sense. Thanks guys!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

You can disable that pop-up in the notification settings. There's a seperate checkbox for it. Disable it, because other games have these pop-ups as well, very annoying.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
yeah, we disabled those scenes as Universal's tool just auto-claims anything that matches the film online, so we're trying to save you that headache

Bandit1

So.. whens the DLC?

Like, im legit asking for more content.
I still have 4 weapons to max out and im replayin' the game on hard but its too easy.

So yeah... im cool with an horde mode kind of thing, i just want MOAR R&C!

I'd definitely be down for some DLC! A couple more weapons and worlds and an arena area would be awesome.

yeah, we disabled those scenes as Universal's tool just auto-claims anything that matches the film online, so we're trying to save you that headache

Ah didn't know that. Never seen the pop-up before Ratchet by the way.

Yeah me neither. Figured it was a movie thing though.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Which guns are worth buying? I can buy the pyrocitor and photon drum. Are they worth it or save for better weapons?

You should get more than enough bolts to get everything around the time it becomes available. For this choice, pick the photon drum. Good AoE damage.

Top Bottom