• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank: PS4 Pro Update details

ghibli99

I hate how wanting 60fps has become something to sneer at. I personally value frame rates more than anything else when it comes to graphics, and I am still more than happy with 1080p. I just wish more developers would give us a choice in the matter.
Personally, it's not the wanting of 60fps that bothers me... it's the "30fps = shit" reasoning that just makes my eyes roll. R&C is one of the best games I've played this generation, and this is coming from someone who is used to PC gaming at 60-144fps.

Not at all. Options are awesome, but those games and their engine architecture are probably completely different than ours. RotTR especially is built for multiple platformsand scalability etc.

Keep in mind, Ratchet was in development way before PS4 Pro was a thing (or at least, one we knew about). It targeted the original PS4 exclusively and we pushed the system as far as we could. That's a lot of stuff to unwind to suddenly support multiple resolutions / framerates / set-ups, especially if you've using all of the CPU and GPU on the reg PS4.

Makes sense, glad that I didn't beat it yet as I'll beat it on the pro. Excellent game so far. Let's get a sequel going!

So how did this game do anyway? I've put off getting it since the movie bombed and figured the franchise was dead now.
The game based on the movie based on the original game is fantastic and did very well. Just because the movie wasn't as good as people were hoping isn't going to kill a series with a huge fanbase. Insomniac can choose to do more games if they want, or focus on more new IPs.

Also, James (Stevenson) you were at Insomniac for Tools of Destruction, right? I was lucky enough to be on PlayStation FPQA for that title. It brought me into the world of Ratchet and Clank and I absolutely adored it, even while doing my best to break everything I could so it would be patched up before release :D

Not at all. Options are awesome, but those games and their engine architecture are probably completely different than ours. RotTR especially is built for multiple platformsand scalability etc.

Keep in mind, Ratchet was in development way before PS4 Pro was a thing (or at least, one we knew about). It targeted the original PS4 exclusively and we pushed the system as far as we could. That's a lot of stuff to unwind to suddenly support multiple resolutions / framerates / set-ups, especially if you've using all of the CPU and GPU on the reg PS4.

I personally would like to thank you guys for working so hard to continue to generate great content and work on a game you already long finished to make it run even better.

Cause god knows we need less "lol crappy/lazy/insert insult here devs" talk here.

platocplx

I personally would like to thank you guys for working so hard to continue to generate great content and work on a game you already long finished to make it run even better.

Cause god knows we need less "lol crappy/lazy/insert insult here devs" talk here.

Ditto. Amazing product they put out.

VertPin

The game is very fun. However, it is a short Ratchet and Clank game.

I'm excited for this update, but a 1080p60fps mode would have been great too. From my understanding, this game will not play natively 4k rendering?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Also, James (Stevenson) you were at Insomniac for Tools of Destruction, right? I was lucky enough to be on PlayStation FPQA for that title. It brought me into the world of Ratchet and Clank and I absolutely adored it, even while doing my best to break everything I could so it would be patched up before release :D

yup, been here since just prior to RFOM.

and thanks for all the hard work on it. That game is sort of the last of its era - completely unable to be patched (hell, we even "patched" UYA by doing a buffer overflow attack on your PS2 and overwriting the code), so we had to make sure all the bugs were out!

That's fair, James. The way you chose to design your engine prevented a higher framerate for this game. Understandable.

But some still find that choice disappointing, as many in this thread have shown, and the reason I'll likely still be skipping it.

I hope now that Insomniac's very aware of PS4Pro and the options consumers expect from it, future titles from you guys will be designed with scalability/framerate options in mind.

Like you said, options are awesome.

That's fair, James. The way you chose to design your engine prevented a higher framerate for this game. Understandable.

But some still find that choice disappointing, as many in this thread have shown, and the reason I'll likely still be skipping it.

I hope now that Insomniac's very aware of PS4Pro and the options consumers expect from it, future titles from you guys will be designed with scalability/framerate options in mind.

What a presumptive attitude to take.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Can't wait to finish this game on my Pro. Should look like a Pixar movie come to life, as IQ was really the only thing stopping this from a near perfect mix of art and graphical fidelity.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

Well, no, our engine is perfectly capable of higher framerates and different platforms, see our Oculus games which run at 90, or Sunset on Xbox One.

This GAME was created exclusivily for the original PS4 and that spec, and delivers a stunning 1080p/30 performance that was universally praised and lauded. In doing that though and making and finishing that game months and months ago, there's a lot of things we can't unwind very easily to suddenly change how it's architect-ed.

jobboy

this! i totally agree

5taquitos

The condescension is dripping from this post.

Well, no, our engine is perfectly capable of higher framerates, see our Oculus games which run at 90.

This game was created for the original PS4 and towards that spec, and delivers a stunning 1080p/30 performance that was universally praised and lauded. In doing that though and making and finishing that game months and months ago, there's a lot of things we can't unwind very easily to suddenly change how it's architect-ed

I was talking about this game specifically, which as you said wasn't built for 60fps. I get it.

And I'm glad you've found success with its 1080p/30, really! But if your engine's already scalable, you would think an option for higher framerate at the expense of visuals in future games would only bolster that success, no?

I was talking about this game specifically, which as you said wasn't built for 60fps. I get it.

And I'm glad you've found success with its 1080p/30, really! But if your engine's already scalable, you would think an option for higher framerate at the expense of visuals in future games would only bolster that success, no?

Here's a thought.

Maybe, just maybe, the professional game developers, who's job it is to craft and create these games, have a relatively good idea of what they want a game to be and where they want it to go and do technically and should be allowed artistic and creative license to have it run how they like.

Hey jstevenson, I want to give you and everyone at Insomniac a big hug or at least a Top Gun High 5 or a virtual fist bump or something. R&C is up there with my favorite games and I can't wait to give the new patch a go next week. Thanks to everyone there for the efforts!!

Chris87

Neo Member
Good news for me. Picked up this game last week and started playing it yesterday. Already looks and plays really well - looking forward to seeing how it plays on the Pro.

harz-marz

Skip it, good for you. But to publicly ridicule a developer who has put their all into making the original version amazing AND go to the effort to patch it for the PS4 Pro release, is a tad unfair.

Props to Insomniac, I have purchased this game ahead of next week's release and can't wait to play it!

Skip it, good for you. But publicly ridicule a developer who has put their all into making the original version amazing AND go to the effort to patch it for the PS4 Pro release, is a tad unfair.

Props to Insomniac, I have purchased this game ahead of next week's release and can't wait to play it!

Huh. That's a strange way to misspell "to have a conversation with."

VLiberty

Fair enough, hopefully this will be a thing in your next games though. Keep up the good work and sorry if my first post was a bit rude

vivekTO

Huh. That's a strange way to misspell "to have a conversation with."

Rhetorical questioning is not "to have conversation with".

Give it a rest , we will find what they are upto with pro once the spoderman release in 2020 , till than ,you know, there will be no game in 60 fps from them.

Wow, this thread is a goldmine of for my ignore list!

On-topic: It's awesome that R&C is getting a pro patch! I unfortunately didn't get around to buying it when I had my original PS4, but I'll be buying it for sure as soon as my Pro gets in!

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Yes!

Picked it up at launch. With the price now, this should be a no brainer for every pro-owner. Hell, any OG/slim owner as well.

Loudninja

+ James Stevenson on November 3rd, 2016 at 10:29 am said:

The patch is the same patch. It just detects the hardware it’s on.

If you’re on a PS4 or PS4 Slim, it’ll run normally though if your TV supports HDR, and your HDMI cable supports HDR (most should, but current gen high-speed cables will for sure), you’ll get the 1080p HDR version of the game.

If you’re on a PS4 Pro, it’ll run in Pro mode. Then it detects the resolution of the screen. If you’re 1080p, you’ll get the better image quality (downsampling from the higher res version). If you’re on a 4k TV, you’ll get the Temporal Injected 2160p. Additionally if your TV is HDR, and your set-up supports it, you’ll get HDR as well.
+ James Stevenson on November 3rd, 2016 at 10:31 am said:

It’s a temporally injected 2160p.

Temporal Injection is a similar sort of alorithim to checkerboarding, though we believe it’s a better solution
+ James Stevenson on November 3rd, 2016 at 10:39 am said:

We’re using downsampling to improve the image quality you see – which should include depth of field, AA/jaggies

wouwie

I look forward to seeing the difference in 1080p. I don't plan to buy a Pro (yet) so hopefully there will be glorious screenshots and comparisons between each mode. The game already looked great on PS4 but a better anti-aliasing solution should make it look even better.

Nothing worse than 60 fps on console beggers(although the bloodborne patch beggers are getting there..).

Go buy a damn pc already ffs lol

Humdinger

Great game. Everyone should buy it. I appreciate the devs for putting more hard work into it, at this late stage.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So how did this game do anyway? I've put off getting it since the movie bombed and figured the franchise was dead now.

You put off getting a game that was said to be fantastic because the movie bombed and you figured the franchise was dead?

What an odd way of making a purchasing decision...

Nothing worse than 60 fps on console beggers(although the bloodborne patch beggers are getting there..).

Go buy a damn pc already ffs lol

How dare people want the best PS4 game to get patched for the new hardware. Entitled beggars I tell ya! You should be happy Sony is letting you give them $400.

Just bought a copy today! Will pop it in as soon as my pro arrives next week. I know people are upset that it isn't going to be 60 fps but I am just grateful they are putting out a patch for the game. I feel kinda bad that they are putting in the work as basically a bonus for fans and getting shit on for it in this thread.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Shieeeet, seeing you mention that makes me miss the Resistance games. Resistance 3 was the best of the series, I would love to see the series make a come back on the PS4.
This. Resistance 3 is the best fps on ps3 and insomniacs best game to date hell I buy a remaster of it at full price

pixelation

High frame rates don't sell... pretty visuals do. I don't think (and hope they don't) go that route.

Hell, they themselves said so before that they were going to chase prettier visuals over higher frame rates because that's what seems to be better appreciated it, i am quite happy with said decision and i hope they continue on the same path.

Edit: Shit... DP

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm not sure this would tempt me to replay it in 4K. The original IQ was so good, and the art style so relatively soft that I don't know how much of a noticeable difference it would be. Curious to hear impressions from those that play it at 4k

Eusis

Where's this phantom PC port of Ratchet and Clank mate?
And even then sometimes it's just stupid when it fails to show up on consoles. Dishonored didn't get the sort of update Skyrim did, going by equivalent area PC video cards certainly that could've at least had an option to unlock the FPS and run at nearly 60 fps much of the time, not unless the CPU really hobbled it.

Though at least R&C is aiming at really high image quality, though with this generation of hardware I'd rather they try to work for 60 fps again. It probably wasn't worth it so many years into the PS3/360's lifespan, but new hardware that's way more powerful and already has been iterated upon, and with some of the biggest MP games going for 60 fps, it's starting to look like they're going the opposite direction for no good reason. Though I guess that change in priorities could've hobbled them in regards to physics or something in this game that they had no practical option but to double down on IQ.

Top Bottom