• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank: PS4 Pro Update details

BigEmil

HDR looks amazing on this, definitely the best implementation out of the games I've tried (although Uncharted 4 is close).

The new AA is pretty much perfect, quality-wise. I couldn't see any aliasing.

The new motion blur is by far the star of the show. The old motion blur made it really obvious it was a 30 FPS title. It was actually pretty jarring the first time I played it. The new motion blur is super smooth -- I don't know if it's less aggressive or what (can't directly compare it) but it certainly feels better to play. It's seems to be much more subtle, while also being more accurate.

I've already played this twice, but this update is really making me want to play it again. If this is a preview of the tech being used in Spider-man, I'm no longer worried about it being 30 FPS -- this is quite possibly the smoothest 30 FPS game experience I've had.

EDIT: I did a quick run-through of the planets, and
Pokitaru
is by far the best HDR showcase. Especially the part where you're climbing up the back of the waterfall, coming out of the underwater cave.
Sounds great. Maybe Mr.60 guy should give this a go he'll have second thoughts and be okay with it lol

Yes, but those exclusives is why we (i) buy the consoles.
Most console owners buy them for games you can get on other platforms (including PC).
This is a place where you hope devs might read our desire for 60 fps. But we are a small percentage of the total of gamers.
Clearly not small enough. Otherwise, why would developers come here?
I like it when devs themselves say: "fuck it, we want 60 fps". But i do want to play those games. I love those exclusive (not all but the ones i like) games. So... the options are limited.
Not sure I understand what's being said here.

Most console owners buy them for games you can get on other platforms (including PC).

If you just play multiplats only you are better of with a PC ofcourse.
But we all have to spend our money to where the games are we love. For me that's Nintendo games, PS4 exclusives and a lot of multiplats. But to buy a good pc just for those multiplats is too much for me personally. Have considered it a lot of times though.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Wtf how'd they manage to add this for OG PS4 ain't it costly or something thought this would be something for the Pro only

Of course its has some cost, but its also smarter and more efficient than FXAA , which has been the default AA solution for years now. Times change and base standards get better.

MSAA used to be the only viable AA technique until different methods came along.

The differences are most noticeable if you open up the the images in new tabs and switch back in forth.

Pre-Update
q7z84n8.png

Post-Update

Pre-Update

Post-Update

Pre-Update

Post-Update

(Easiest to see the difference if you look at the metal pole things)

Pre-Update

Post-Update

^That one is a big difference.

Post Update (No comparisons)

Some of these comparisons may not show off the difference as much as you probably could. I found the jaggies in the pre-update version to be very noticeable in many areas. The pre-update photos I have here were taken by me when the game first came out, and I deliberately took pics where I thought the jaggies weren't as noticeable.

Anyway, just from playing through Veldin, the IQ is definitely cleaner than it was before. Very pleased with it.

BigEmil

Of course its has some cost, but its also smarter and more efficient than FXAA , which has been the default AA solution for years now. Times change and base standards get better.

MSAA used to be the only viable AA technique until different methods came along.
Ah I see thanks for the info, do you know anything about the new improved motion blur technique also?

CHC

The differences are most noticeable if you open up the the images in new tabs and switch back in forth.

Damn that is REALLY noticeable with regards to aliasing, probably more so in motion due to the temporal AA. This is on regular PS4?

And you clearly have lower standards for it.

More power to ya.

If you're not getting the game and are soooooooooo disappointed that you've done nothing but bitch and moan the past 3 days, why are you even still in this thread? It's pretty sad you apparently have nothing better to do, especially since you're basically a broken record at this point and have added absolutely nothing new since your first post.

On-topic: That's really impressive that they managed to add a new AA method on the OG PS4! Good job devs!

Edit: Also, why has this thread become the place to argue 30 vs 60 fps?

Pre-Update

Post-Update

Pre-Update

Post-Update

Pre-Update

Post-Update

Pre-Update

Post-Update

Post Update (No comparisons)

My comparisons may not show off the difference as much as you probably could. I found the jaggies in the pre-update version to be very noticeable in many areas. The pre-update photos I have here were taken by me when the game first came out, and I deliberately took pics where I thought the jaggies weren't as noticeable.

Anyway, just from playing through Veldin, the IQ is definitely cleaner than it was before. Very pleased with it.
Oh nice.
My projector is fucking ready.

...what?

Not even remotely what I said.

A signal for devs to make more 60fps console games would be to buy more of them.

And less 30fps ones.

Ah okay. I do!! i buy a lot of 60 fps games on consoles.
But a lot that i like are still in 30 fps.
I wasn't sure what you meant by that. Given your previous responses i went with the pc option.

Inuhanyou

Ah I see thanks for the info, do you know anything about the new improved motion blur technique also?

I don't know anything about it. You'd have to ask Jstevenson about it, he's the one who helped create it after all

If you're not getting the game and are soooooooooo disappointed that you've done nothing but bitch and moan the past 3 days, why are you even still in this thread? It's pretty sad you apparently have nothing better to do

No sadder than replying to someone's "bitching and moaning" with some of your own.

Especially someone you're apparently ignoring...?

Wow, this thread is a goldmine of for my ignore list!

...what happened?

icespide

Banned
just tried it out on OG PS4. wow that new AA looks so good. It's unreal. I can't imagine what this will look like supersampled on the Pro

No sadder than replying to someone's "bitching and moaning" with some of your own.

Especially someone you're apparently ignoring...?

...what happened?

Well your vaunted reading skill apparently isn't paying off since I never said I had ignored anyone, just that this was a great place to find candidates.

And I've made exactly zero posts that didn't at least contain something other complaining, and I'm interested in the game and will be purchasing it therefore this looks like the place for me to be, so looks like that's strike two for you.

Oh, and since you mentioned it... welcome to the list!

On-topic: Those screens look great, can definitely tell a difference between the old and new method!

Yay, the last few pages turned into a 60 vs 30 fps shit show. :-/

Well, the PS4 Pro news got me to finally get off my ass and pick up R&C. I've never played an R&C game before, so I am looking forward to it! I just don't know in which order of my backlog it's going to find itself. :-|

Inuhanyou

Yay, the last few pages turned into a 60 vs 30 fps shit show. :-/

Well, the PS4 Pro news got me to finally get off my ass and pick up R&C. I've never played an R&C game before, so I am looking forward to it! I just don't know in which order of my backlog it's going to find itself. :-|

Whenever you get around to it, you'll see how worth it it was

Sweet! I'm excited for this update! Can't wait for the Pro to hit now! I think it's time to buy this game. Never bought it back then due to budget and then eventually forgot about it.

Ah. Stage fright. It happens.

You mean it this time?
I think it's time to stop now. You've been trying to downplay other's opinions while at the same time increasingly defending yourself towards every claim against you. I get that 60 FPS is nice. I don't really care for it myself but desiring more is never a bad thing. It's the way you've been presenting it that is sometimes kind of offensive. Especially with ypur words towards the developer in this thread. Basically, let people enjoy what they want and you can enjoy what you want. At the end of the day some will like 60 and some don't really care for either. Cause options are great right?

Shin-Ra

Some of my R&C HDR highlights so far!

The bright flash of Insomniac's animated logo at startup.
The rim light on planets, green shine of the Deplanetiser glass on the pause or planet select screen.
The Protoclast illuminating half of Ratchet's face, and glass rim if he's wearing a helmet (best when standing somewhere dark)
Firing most weapons, especially in the dark!
The colourful buttons on the computer terminals on the Deplanetiser
Clank's thrusters in the dark
RYNO EXTREME firework display
Teleporting
The lit Magneboots track hexagons

Shin-Ra

It's well worth scrolling through all the weapons and gadgets in the pause menu for the closeup PBR goodness.

Some of my R&C HDR highlights so far!

The bright flash of Insomniac's animated logo at startup.
The rim light on planets, green shine of the Deplanetiser glass on the pause or planet select screen.
The Protoclast illuminating half of Ratchet's face, and glass rim if he's wearing a helmet (best when standing somewhere dark)
Firing most weapons, especially in the dark!
The colourful buttons on the computer terminals on the Deplanetiser
Clank's thrusters in the dark
RYNO EXTREME firework display
Teleporting
The lit Magneboots track hexagons
The brights are good impressions, but give us the details on those darks and killer shadow detail! I love my retinas being scorched by HDR as much as the next person, but it is only one part of what makes HDR so impressive.

BONKERS

That TAA looks really good aside from the foliage, which is way over smoothed.
Close to getting to UE4 TAA levels of smudge, and that's not good.

Some other elements, like Ratchet's wrench also get over smoothed.

PS4P with downsampling will solve all of that however. (Just don't make the resolve too sharp)

I'll have to pop it in for a few minutes when I get my pro. I platinumned it the first weekend so I'm not ready for a full playthrough ATM. I'm looking forward to the changes though as this game is pure eye candy.

Now I'm excited for the Going Commando reboot ;)

I'll have to pop it in for a few minutes when I get my pro. I platinumned it the first weekend so I'm not ready for a full playthrough ATM. I'm looking forward to the changes though as this game is pure eye candy.

Now I'm excited for the Going Commando reboot ;)

I hope we do get more Ratchet! These games are consistently fun to play and gorgeous looking to boot!

Palocca

Bravo to Insomniac for implementing HDR so well in this game. After being disppointed by the HDR in The Last of Us, I was subsequently blown away by how Ratchet and Clank compares to its SDR counterpart.

Marmelade

Man I'd take that kind of AA + enhanced visual effects/framerateifpossible/etc over downsampled 4K as a 1080p Pro mode for any game any day of the week.
It looks superb

Top Bottom